• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kids making me feel old :(

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • I'm not even that old myself (15) but when my younger brother and his friends play Pokemon they don't understand that there are other regions and past games and that a while ago, BW Pokemon didn't exist (gasp!). It's just a really odd thing to talk about with them, lol

Mystical Mermaid

Resident Mermaid
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    My daughter probably won't know about any pre-generation IV Pokemon save for Pikachu if it weren't for me. Even still, I'm glad that we're both really into Pokemon and now she's old enough that we can really play it together. I may be very much an adult child, but I'm proud of it.

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
    Years
  • I'm not even that old myself (15) but when my younger brother and his friends play Pokemon they don't understand that there are other regions and past games and that a while ago, BW Pokemon didn't exist (gasp!). It's just a really odd thing to talk about with them, lol

are you serious omg ;_; I mean, I can sorta kinda see where they're coming from (Gen I/II were a loooooong time ago, Gen III's heyday was in 2005, FR/LG included) but they should at least know about Gen IV! Time to go buy all the used games, dear.

My best friend's younger brother:
    "You keep talking about Arcanine. What's an Arcanine?" (no really)

Me:
    "WHAT SDKLFH:EGHIEWF:LIHEWIOGHEWILFSLIJTWEHITHksJF:LSDFJs BACK IN MY DAY---" *shot*

So yeah, I sort of feel old too. Get off my lawn, you damn kids, with your newfangled Reshirams and Zekroms.

Years
  • OMG I'm so prone to people asking why I still play Pokemon.

I've been playing Pokemon games since I was 11 and I'm now age 19.

When someone asks me what I'm doing, I say "I'm playing Pokemon". I even know all the Pokemon despite Gen III being the first gen I played.

I often draw attention when I rage while playing and I say like "Darn you Audino" or "OMG I found a Shiny Drilbur!" cos none of my friends like Pokemon at all. When someone asks me "Who is Pikachu?", I then show them a pic of Pikachu and they say "Oh, so that is Pikachu".

Even though I'm nearly 20, I'm not giving up on Pokemon anytime soon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    I'm 12 now and I started playing Pokémon when I was around 5. I never played Gen 1(besides playing a tiny bit of LeafGreen one day, but I got bored and quit) and I never played Gen 2 before SoulSilver but I knew all the Pokémon somehow. I suppose it was because I watched some of the movies from Gen 1, 2 and 3. I'm not good at remembering Pokémon off the top of my head but if I heard the name, or saw them, I'd remember them immediately. My older brother, who's 17, doesn't know about most of the new Pokémon after Diamond. My sister, who's 15, only played Gen 3.

P.S: I play Pokémon secretly, my friends think that I've never played Pokémon in my life.

Manganum

Your local sine wave
    Years
  • I'm 12 now and I started playing Pokémon when I was around 5. I never played Gen 1(besides playing a tiny bit of LeafGreen one day, but I got bored and quit) and I never played Gen 2 before SoulSilver but I knew all the Pokémon somehow. I suppose it was because I watched some of the movies from Gen 1, 2 and 3. I'm not good at remembering Pokémon off the top of my head but if I heard the name, or saw them, I'd remember them immediately. My older brother, who's 17, doesn't know about most of the new Pokémon after Diamond. My sister, who's 15, only played Gen 3.

P.S: I play Pokémon secretly, my friends think that I've never played Pokémon in my life.

I realize you're quite young, but please, please, please, for the sake of all of us here who played RBY, don't refer to FRLG/HGSS as Gen 1/2. They're Gen 3 and 4 games and it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when people ignore this.

Also, no offense meant, but if your friends are going to judge you based on the video games you play, you need to find some new ones.

PhantomTwilight

possibly sane
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Nov 9, 2014
    Actually, I feel the same way. There are these kids around where I live who play Pokemon, and they know nothing of the gens 3 and down. It saddens me.

Mostly 'cause those games were so fun and always bring back memories...

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    I realize you're quite young, but please, please, please, for the sake of all of us here who played RBY, don't refer to FRLG/HGSS as Gen 1/2. They're Gen 3 and 4 games and it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when people ignore this.

Also, no offense meant, but if your friends are going to judge you based on the video games you play, you need to find some new ones.
    I know they are in different generations. I was just rushing and I couldn't be arsed saying, "I never played a Pokémon game with Generation 1 Pokémon besides a tiny bit of the remake of Pokémon green.".

My friends are fine and I don't know if they would judge me, I just think that me playing Pokémon is rather childish and that it's kind of embarrassing.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2012
    Who doesn't know MISTY? ... that makes me sad :( I've been watching it since I was 5, and I love the show with a passion <3 I worry for the next generation, and vow to teach my (future) kids everything I know about Pokémon ... starting with KANTO! :D

AxeyWaxyWoo

Awesome Sauce Trainer
    Years
  • Well, I'm not old, I'm only 14 (about to turn 15) and started playing when I turned 9 (Gen. IV Diamond).

But since then I've bought all the older games and love them to bits!

I don't know any younger children who play Pokemon (sadly), but I did introduce my OLDER sister to Pokemon games! She is 18 and never played any Pokemon games, although she used to collect Pokemon stickers. She now has FireRed and Emerald, and has Yellow coming in the mail soon!

When I made her play FireRed, she loved it so much she sat up all night and day playing it! Literally from about 4pm to 10am the next day!

:D

Now I have a Pokemon buddy to sit with me and play the games! <3
    It's awesome, now I just have to make my younger cousins play Pokemon... XD

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
    Years
  • @OP: But look how much smarter and knowledgeable you are now, would you really want to go back to being 8 in the 2nd grade? I know I wouldn't!

The best person at making one feel old is oneself. Maybe you aren't a kid anymore yourself, but that doesn't mean that you became old does it? ;) Yourself always remains, and you will always be you. ^_^

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2012
    well you know when you feel old when you see those VHS episodes and novels (not manga) of Pokemon in the thrift store D:

Marlo

Missing Person
    Years
  • I'm 21 and started with Red, myself, when I was a kid. I'm scared to see how old everyone else is on here. I generally assume everyone else started with the first generation as well. I couldn't imagine otherwise, but I guess it's the sad truth that some were deprived of the beautiful childhood that was playing the first Pokémon games as they were new to the world.

NintendoQueen

The Queen of Nintendo
    Years
  • I had a very similar incident just yesterday. I help teach at a summer art camp [Children are ages 5-12]. We do a "mystery drawing" every day [the teacher draws a character of some sort, and the children follow along and have to guess what it is as we go through] , and yesterday I drew Pikachu, and many of them knew who Pikachu was, but I heard a little 5 year old girl ask "Who's Pikachu?"
    I was saddened. Deeply.
    One little boy said, "I don't even watch the show, and I know who Pikachu is!"

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
    Years
  • It's actually pretty neat when you can relate to kids that like the same games as you. I bet they would be excited to know their teacher even knows Pokemon! It could help a lot with the student/teacher relationship and you could even use Pokemon in some exercises! :D

NintendoQueen

The Queen of Nintendo
    Years
  • Saddened because the kids of today don't know the same things we used to know back when we were 5?
    Ok.
    Well, I wasn't being serious when I put that I was deeply saddened. I was just being silly, because I am a silly person.

It's actually pretty neat when you can relate to kids that like the same games as you. I bet they would be excited to know their teacher even knows Pokemon! It could help a lot with the student/teacher relationship and you could even use Pokemon in some exercises! :D
    Yeah I love talking to kids about Pokemon, Nintendo, and other cartoons/games that I am familiar with and the kids are familiar with as well. :] It's like their faces light up because you [the teacher] knows exactly what they are talking about. ^_^

LinooneFriend

Pokefriend
    Years
  • You guys make me feel inspired! I've been into Pokemon since kindergarten, but I just started actually playing it 3 years ago with Pokemon platinum. I already know most of the Pokemon by heart, and I have platinum, heartgold, and black.

I met some little kids recently, and when I mentioned Pokemon, they were like, " oh yeah! We love Pokemon!" and I was like, "really? What's your favorite? Mine is linoone." and they were like, " uhhhhmmmm, I like the little yellow one"
    *FACEPALM*

Jees, most of you guys started 10 years ago, when I was in kindergarten...

NintendoQueen

The Queen of Nintendo
    Years
  • You guys make me feel inspired! I've been into Pokemon since kindergarten, but I just started actually playing it 3 years ago with Pokemon platinum. I already know most of the Pokemon by heart, and I have platinum, heartgold, and black.

I met some little kids recently, and when I mentioned Pokemon, they were like, " oh yeah! We love Pokemon!" and I was like, "really? What's your favorite? Mine is linoone." and they were like, " uhhhhmmmm, I like the little yellow one"
    *FACEPALM*

Jees, most of you guys started 10 years ago, when I was in kindergarten...

Oh wow. "I like the little yellow one!" Yeah, they just seen it I'm sure, but not actually KNOW the Pokemon. Oh kids these days. This is why I'm keeping all my Pokemon cards and not selling them, because I want my kids someday to enjoy something I did when I was younger.

Back