• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

kids today will never know

Lucid

11755285_10153057575191395_2948537365265242386_n.jpg

I first saw a link to that on this forum like 10 years ago and now I feel old.

Years
  • My childhood was great and everything, but I do not miss:
    • Dial-up internet (so annoying trying to call friends only to get the server noise)
    • Slow download speeds
    • Low data limits (I remember having a 4GB a month limit at one point, which was considerable at the time, but I like my unlimited download now, thank you very much)
    • VHS
    • Walkman CD players
    • Tape cassettes
    • Needing changeable batteries for everything - charging Li-ion is much more convenient in general
    • Floppy discs for storage
    • Catridge games
    • Poor video game graphics
    • Bulky SD cathode-ray TVs

All those things are obsolete and just generally sucked. Today's kids aren't "missing out", unless it is to be able to join into the nostalgia rants about how easy they have it - "Kids these days....".

Now, what they WILL miss out on, which I had in my childhood:
    • Metal slides - the plastic ones in most parks these days suck. Sure, they won't melt your skin off on a hot summers day, but they will blast you with static electricity and just don't let you slide as fast.
    • Being able to go outside and not have parents freak out

Last edited:

Karinmo

☜(ˆ▽ˆ)
    Years
  • This applies to some younger people- but waiting in line for big launch parties of books like Harry Potter when they first came out.

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
    Years
  • Including but not limited to:

• Pokemon themed poptarts and cereal
    • Hannah Montana
    • Screen cheating
    • Finished Sonic Games (Sonic Boom is like alpha stage let's be real)
    • Megaman
    • Dragonball Z
    • Naruto
    • Pokemon. At some point we will need to realize that Skylanders has infected our youth and they will no longer play our childhood JRPGs
    • The orgasmic sound of a Gameboy turning on
    • Monopoly (Do kids even play board games anymore?)
    • A time when there were more Mountain Dew flavors than Mountain Dew Kickstart flavors
    • Different flavors of Crush soda in a bottle (Grape, Cherry, Orange, Strawberry)
    • The iPhone being unique
    • Steve Jobs
    • Billy Mayes :c
    • Rickrolling
    • Star Wars (yeah the 7th movie is coming out but kids still don't know what it is)

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • It's funny, I was passing by the old rental store I used to go to as a kid and I thought, "You know, if I ever crap out a spawn, they'll never know the feeling of going into the cold ass rental stores, seeing a box for a game that looks cool, find out it's already being rented, and having to settle for Glover..."

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • House phones - I miss when this used to be a thing. I mean, it still kind of is, but only with some elderly people. Otherwise, I feel they're just about non-existent since everyone has a cell phone these days. Even kids who aren't fully trusted with a phone yet are given some kind of trashy, $20 emergency-only Tracphone by their parents (though I haven't seen one of those in a while, either). There's something to be said when your house phone is dying and you have to be all "ughhh my phone is dying, sorry gotta go ;___;" because you actually had to hang up the phone to charge it.

Fun fact: in Spain, home-to-home calls are free (well, the first 100 minutes of each call), so expect to get a lot of "Are you at home? I'll call you on the landline phone then". We still even have many old-fashioned "fixed" phones just to take advantage of free hour-and-a-half-long calls!

Years
  • Dial-up internet - This. Enough said. Currently, I squeeze anywhere from 25Mbps to around 40Mbps from my current internet connection. When I was 10 or so though, My highest internet speed was like 26.5Kbps? Somewhere around that range, and I considered that fast. Though truth be told, this is not so much a thing that they'll miss, so much as a thing that they'll be disgustingly shocked by.
    Yeah, dial-up is one of those "a bit nostalgic but definitely not something I miss at all" type of deals, lol. Not even because of slow speeds, but I loved being able to be booted off the internet because someone called the house. :') Much sarcasm. Yeah, my dad would forcibly do that (or get someone else to do that) at times. But it was warranted, since me and my siblings would absolutely dominate the line with internet when both he and my mom were at work. Oops.

The orgasmic sound of a Gameboy turning on
    Gameboy was a huge part of my youth, and yet I had to take a few moments to even remember what that sound was. :(

I don't know if there's anything "favorite" about my childhood that I would think kids today would miss, haha. Maybe just some of shows I watched and games I played, but that's about it.

Because I don't think kids would miss stuff like trying to get games to work (I attacked so many NES cartridges with a cotton swab to clean them to get them to actually work, grrr), or having to rewind tapes, or any other things like that. X)

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • - recording tv shows on VHS for archiving
    - Netscape browser
    - cassette players
    - waking up to an episode of cardcaptor sakura orz
    - phones with battery life of almost a month or the sturdiness of the nokia 3310 lol

BlueDogXL

The bluest dog out there!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2017
    Playhouse Disney. Where you never had to watch a hour long movie before the next show. :')

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • going outside and not having the internet.

I'm probably posting somewhere which may be biased in favour of having the internet about right off the bat but tbh I'm really glad I got to have my first 15 years of life having to go out often to be entertained and such because if I were born with the internet in my household I would definitely have been worse off on the social front as I'd have much less incentive to go out and talk to people. I remember being a bit of a hermit when I first got the internet...

Back