• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kids with mobile phones?

thorn96

Fool! I am the weasel!
Years
  • How young is too young to have a mobile phone, do you think? I've had one for a while and I'm only 14, for one example, and I had to wait until I was 13 til I could use my dad's old work phone, which is a log of crap. My brother is 12 and he's getting a brand new phone in the next week or so (I'm not complaining much, I'm just presenting an example.

How old were you when you got your first phone and how old do you think people should be? And do you think the whole mobile phone thing is kinda pointless?

Years
  • I think a lot of people are growing up to fast in my opinion. But honestly it depends on the kid. When he or she starts to go out to more places or travel by themselves from school to home etc. I think they should have one, I guess it depends on the person and the whole situation.

Edit: Also I got my phone when I was 13, which was to use when I was catching a bus home from School.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I've got a phone when I was 9, because around that time I had to be responsible for myself. It depends on the kid really, depending on how they really need it.

Years
  • Can't remember how old I was exactly. But I would say if they're young kids getting phones why do they have to be the latest expensive ones?!

hmw

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    i'm 12 and i have a have a mobile phone
    going to be 13 this year

Xeto

Pokemon Pro
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2011
    Well it depends the cost of the phone and the addiction of it.Ive seen too many kids with cell phones.

FlamingThunder

Years
  • I got my first phone when I was six, I gave it away to my sister. After a while, she wants a new phone.

P.S: The reason why I gave it away because I want a new phone as well.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • its kinda funny. how they all have expensive n new too. their not responsible too.
    i got mine around 5th grade. it was around.. 7-10? years old (the phpne). to call my mom with.
    And mom did get one like 17, 20. sometime late. /she was poor.

i dont see why allot of kjids need them. but it depends.

hmw

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    i got it because i stay alone after school till my sister get's back from work

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    I see six year olds with iPhones and iPods, texting their friends while Facebooking. You're six. You don't have an elaborate and complex network of friends.

I got my first phone when I was fourteen, only because I was going to high school, which was about a mile away from my old school. I needed to tell my mom if I was going to go home, go with friends, stay to make up tests/tutor, or something else.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't think age matters at all. A phone is a useful device, age doesn't affect whether someone should be disallowed from communicating with people over distance.

Sure kids may use it as toys, but to be honest so do plenty of adults. I think it's silly when phones become some sort of status symbol, like how everyone has to have the latest iPhone just for the sake of it. I think it's silly the amount of money some people waste on phones; my cousin (he's 20) has been buying a new phone every year since he was about 13, and he doesn't get cheap ones either. But I think a lot of things are silly, and people can spend their own money on whatever they want.

If a kid wants a phone to use a toy, it's not really a problem; I don't understand it, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

I got my first phone when I was 13, just because my friend gave me his old one for free. Then it stopped working, so I bought a new one for £10; it can't do anything except make texts and calls, but that's the only reason I want one anyway. I'd rather save my money for something more enjoyable than an expensive novelty gadget.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I think thirteen years is an acceptable minimum age for mobile phone ownership, although I wouldn't put a law on it, but I don't see one being necessary until at least sixteen. I'm well beyond sixteen myself and have never yet needed one.
    Certainly, in any case, cameras built into phones were never necessary; they concern me a little, actually.

Years
  • I got mine when i was 11. i only got it because i started highschool and i was traveling alone (my parents were REALLY over protective of me ¬.¬) but even then i had to spend my own money on it from my birthday. so it was like £50 (and broke so it couldnt text -.-)
    But it really ticks me off when i see kids around that age (or younger) with really expensive phones. i feel like walking up to them and screaming in there face 'WHY DO YOU NEED A £800 PHONE!?!?! YOUR LIKE 11 EVERYONE YOU KNOW LIVES 5 MINUTES AWAY!!!!! >.<'

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I didn't get my first cellphone till I was starting my sophomore year in high school. It's kinda weird today that kids younger than I was are getting their first cellphones. My little sister is 8, and she already has a cellphone! It's just crazy.

I think at 13 or 14 years old is the perfect time to get their first cellphone.

Kuru

Fever Dream
    Years
  • I didn't get one until I was able to get a job and start paying for one. I'm jealous of young kids having them. D:

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    f the parents are willing for their children to have cell phones at an early age, than so be it. It's not a crime or anything, last I checked.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Jan 29, 2014
    When a kid graduates from elementary school, that's when they should get their first phone.

There are, however, certain circumstances. If a kid does sports, after school programs, etc., they need a phone. But it should be a crappy phone lying around the house, or a 10 dollar phone you buy from wal-mart. Not a blackberry, iPhone, Droid or the such. No 7 year old needs that.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I was exactly 12 years old, to the day. And I was only allowed one because all of my friends had them...I feel I've missed out. I think everybody should be allowed one for when they go to secondary school (The school year after the one you turn 11, for those of you with a diffferent schooling system to the one I'm in). But as a Facebook "like" page points out:

"You're like, 5 and you've got a phone. Who're you calling, Bob the builder?"

n.b. that is not an exact quotation - I have better grammar :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I did not have a fancy, shwamcy phone until I was 11, but I started to use a phone at 8, but I didn't use one a lot until I got one when it was near my 10th birthday.

I'd say minimum 9 years, and a feature phone at 12.

Back