• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kingdom Hearts 3 Still MIA, First Two Kingdom Hearts Titles May Get HD Remake

Miaka

Forever alone
Years
  • 9uxgkj.jpg

Square Enix has a history of milking franchises for an infuriatingly long time, and Kingdom Hearts is a textbook example of that practice. However, you can't blame the developers -- it's one of their biggest franchises. After all, they've successfully sold KH titles on every platform they've tried (GBA, DS, and even the PSP).

With the Tokyo Game Show about to kick off, Kingdom Hearts creator Tetsuya Nomura spoke with Dengeki PlayStation about the series. Interestingly, he indicates that he's gearing up for an "HD technology test" that might influence future Kingdom Hearts projects. I'm betting that it has nothing to do with Kingdom Hearts 3, the white whale of the series' fanbase.

It's rumored that a Kingdom Hearts HD Collection may in the works for the 10th anniversary of the franchise, which would be March 2012, coinciding with the Japanese launch.

From the source:
    In this week's Dengeki PlayStation (as summed up at Sokuho@Hokanko), Tetsuya Nomura reveals that the company plans on having playable versions of Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Type-0, Kingdom Hearts 3D and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy.

Nomura had some strong words for KH3D, saying that its quality is at the level of a console game. The motions that were shown in the game's trailers have been fully realized, right down to running on the walls. KH3D will have the flashiest motion of the series thus far, he promised.

The development schedule for KH3D has reached high pitch, Nomura said. He hopes to release it as soon as possible following the start of the new year.

The interview also touched briefly on the future of the Kingdom Hearts series. Nomura admitted that it's become difficult to get new players into the series at present. This is one thing they're hoping to address as part of the series' 10th anniversary. One part of this plan is some sort of "HD technical test" for the series.

Kingdom Hearts 3D won't be the only Nomura title that comes out early next year. Nomura also said to expect Theatrhythm, a project on which he's serving as creative producer, early in the new year. He referred to the 3DS rhythm title as the first Final Fantasy 25th anniversary title, suggesting that more could be on the way.
    Source:http://www.gamepro.com/article/news...+(GamePro.com+Daily+News)&utm_content=Twitter

What do you think about this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Late

Pokémon Artist
    Years
  • I want Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance already!

EDIT: I'd also like to have Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories on 3DS as the original game was for GBA. It wouldn't be too hard to make some fixes to the PS2 game to get it onto 3DS.

Last edited:

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • The only handheld Kingdom Hearts game I actually liked was BBS, so I'm kinda hoping Dream Drop Distance is just as good. I can have dreams.

But yeah, I want KH3 to just come out already. I'm tired of remakes and pointlessly long mini-sequels that barely add anything to the plot. The series started when I was in 6th grade. I'm in college now. Good gosh, Square Enix :|

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I say this every time the topic of Kingdom Hearts 3 comes up: the reason it's not anywhere on the horizon is because the dev team that normally works on the Kingdom Hearts main games has been working on Final Fantasy XIII Versus for years now. When that's finally out the door, they can start on KH3. And considering they STILL aren't showing it for play at TGS, I imagine we're ages away from it. It's pretty frustrating because the only reason I'm at all interested in the game anymore is so that it's done and they can get back to work on KH's main plot. (I used to be really excited for Versus and now it's been so long I just don't give a damn anymore.)

I'm hoping they delay KH3D a long time though since I don't want to get a 3DS yet... but I'm absolutely okay with KH1 and 2 coming out in HD! I want them sooo bad. :D Especially if they're the FM versions and they touch up Re:Chain of Memories so its cutscenes don't look like crap (so all blurry and whatnot). I'm really excited for these, but then, I'm also Square-Enix's perfect customer so I guess something like this WOULD excite me. (I buy every game in Japanese, then the English release, then the Japanese re-release with extras...)

Simipour

Geyser Pokemon
    Years
  • The series started when I was in 6th grade. I'm in college now. Good gosh, Square Enix :|
    This.
    I am not a big fan of side games, I disliked COM and I hated the Days game. (Haven't played BBS). And while I understand they're trying to make money, and use as many consoles as possible, it irritates me they can't just work on a main title.

HD remakes? Um, that's interesting but imo hardly worth it. Unless they're completely redone like how they did Ocarina of Time for the 3Ds, I am not impressed.
    I ask myself why I even still care about this game sometimes. Blargh.

Cherrim

Years
  • While I still think COM was one of the better games plot-wise (it got pretty ridiculous with KH2), don't discount BBS because of the other handheld games. I honestly think it's the best in the series with plot and gameplay and I will be so disappointed if KH3's battle system isn't an evolution of it. It feels more like KH1 than all the other games so if that's what got you into the series, you almost owe it to yourself to check out BBS if you can. n_n

SK3

Pokemon Hacking Company™ CEO
    Years
  • Technically CoM isn't a side game, it's a bridge game. Days and Re:Coded were horrible for me, but I'm sure that Dream Drop Distance is going to be great. We still have Birth by Sleep Vol 2 to worry about before KH3 :/

Tyranee

Can't read my Poke'-face!
    Years
  • I for one am tired of pointless remakes and granted they have to get all their history down to increase the epic of KH3 to the max, they may as well cram that history into one game instead multiple of them. I'm impatient.

Cherrim

Years
  • Re:Coded... kinda forgot about that one. I like to pretend it doesn't exist. There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON it needs to exist. The controls are horrible, it doesn't look very good, and the plot is non-existent. The only relevant thing in the game is the ending where
    Spoiler:

And that could EASILY have just been tossed into the beginning of KH3 or KH3D or added to the [secret] ending of BBS. :/ It's a filler game through and through and I guess it was interesting on the original mobile phone platform since you got it in episodes and that ending came out the week after BBS came out, so it tied together, but as a stand-alone game? No. No no no. Horrible!

Days is a masterpiece compared to it, and even it is kind of a terrible game, lol. (I still loved it because it was a fun distraction when I needed one and I shamelessly love the Organization.) Even if it didn't have any really important plot points, the ones it did have were interesting asides, at the very least. More than can be said for Coded! :(

(I am so glad I decided not to import Re:Coded... I would never have forgiven myself for spending $80 on that game. I still don't quite forgive myself for spending $40. XD)

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I'm expecting 3D to be good, and that'll do me just fine for a while. From there, we have BbS2 and then (it should be) straight on to KH3. I understand the sentiments of wanting to get on with it, but anything that fleshes out the story is welcome in my book. Even if Re:coded was a little trippy. I guess the DS games were only bad in comparison to the main entries?

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • Yeah, it is really understandable that KH3 hasn't been officially announced hence Nomura, and the KH team is still busy on other titles. Like Versus, KH3D, etc.

Like Lightning said I dont want KH3D to be out soon. I want to get a 3DS later when it lower it prices not to 169.99. But to like lower lower than that. I will, and i mean I will get the KH remake in HD for the PS3. Japanese and English no matter what :3.

Cherrim

Years
  • I guess I'd get it in English just for the sake of supporting the game localizations but I doubt I'd play it in English, especially if the Final Mixes are released. I find it really hard to get used to the English controls nowadays. XD But I hope if they release the FMs, they also release voice tracks so you can choose your language. JP and EN as choices would be great but I'd also love to see some of the other localizations if they can. *u*

TwistedArachnid

It's a one hit wonder!
    Years
  • For some reason I keep thinking they're going to announce that KH3D is KH3...I mean with all the bad DS puns we had, it just seems like it's coming.

Years
  • I'm actually in no major hurry for KH3 to release, as that would mean I'd have to fork out for a PS3 and a monitor with HDMI. Have no intention to, otherwise...

Cherrim

Years
  • Well they could always delay it long enough that it ends up on next gen and skips this gen entirely. *roll eyes*

[/wishes she was joking]

TwistedArachnid

It's a one hit wonder!
    Years
  • I'm actually in no major hurry for KH3 to release, as that would mean I'd have to fork out for a PS3 and a monitor with HDMI. Have no intention to, otherwise...

When (if) it comes out, I see it being multi-platform for PS3, 360, and WiiU. With the multi plat of FFXIII, rumored multi-plat of FF Versus, and the high costs of developing, I see it being multiplatform.

Cherrim

Years
  • :/ Yeah, if it's one one or the other of PS3 and 360, it'll be on both, I think. KH is huge in the west and as far as I know, the consoles are pretty evenly split here, so they wouldn't want to alienate half their fans on the next big instalment.

(I say big because we already know they have no problem making us buy all the handhelds to get the full story with the spinoffs. >:|)

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    Let's face it. They have us wrapped around their little finger. We'll continue to spend cash on whatever game they dish out. I wouldn't mind playing the past games in HD, but I'd like them to redo the Final Mixes in HD.

Back