• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kitsukitty's Fakemon Sugimoris!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent_Jayir

Who the hell do you think i am
Years
  • Nice, the newest evo chain you made look quite nice. Could be spiced up with a little more variation between the steps up the evolutionary chain, make it more interesting...

Other than that, the second evos arm is a bit messy, it looks awkward from the angle you've drawn it at, it'd not clear what it's supposed to be doing as such. Unless its trying to breakdance or something.

Speaking of, i like your red panda design, but you were right, it's a little too much like a stylized red panda right now, it might be better to start thinking of fakemon in terms of what they DO, whats their niche, so to speak, and how can they best fill that niche, instead of just choosing what they should look like first. Give them a background in the pokemon world, do you see what i mean by that?

Besides that, these are really good, your style is looking really clean, neat, tidy and pleasing, you're nearly there, you just need that little bit more edge and these will be just amazing.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • Nice, the newest evo chain you made look quite nice. Could be spiced up with a little more variation between the steps up the evolutionary chain, make it more interesting...

Other than that, the second evos arm is a bit messy, it looks awkward from the angle you've drawn it at, it'd not clear what it's supposed to be doing as such. Unless its trying to breakdance or something.

Speaking of, i like your red panda design, but you were right, it's a little too much like a stylized red panda right now, it might be better to start thinking of fakemon in terms of what they DO, whats their niche, so to speak, and how can they best fill that niche, instead of just choosing what they should look like first. Give them a background in the pokemon world, do you see what i mean by that?

Besides that, these are really good, your style is looking really clean, neat, tidy and pleasing, you're nearly there, you just need that little bit more edge and these will be just amazing.

Yush! Every artist has those times when the poses just mess up, and then you're too lazy to clean it up! XD
    I'm more of a designer, so when I think up fakes they tend to just appear without a story. But I'm usually able to think up their purpose without much.

More:

Bitran
    Hack Pokémon
    It can use electric pulses from it's headwear to hack into systems. Armies also use BITRAN for spying on their enemy on important missions.

Years
    • PA
    • Seen Jan 11, 2010
    I don't know why, but your recent images just don't scream Sugimori at all to me.
    I love Sugimori style and most people who attempt to imitate it really are awful at it.

You have the shading style down, but your lines look a little ... weird and unique to your own style. That is alright, but ... if that is the case -- why claim you are making 'Fake Sugimori' styled pokemon?

Honestly, I think it'd be better to practice actual animal anatomy before experimenting in creating your own creatures. Legs seem uneven, and just because it is a cartoony style does not give an excuse to dismiss error. I wouldn't listen to buttering up people give you occasionally. If you want to improve, take all the critique; good and bad -- and learn from it.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    HIIIIIIII KITSU-

Er. Ahem. I mean, hello, dear friend. c: Your coloring looks like some authentic Sugimori, but there's something about the lines that seems off... sorry, I can't pinpoint it. Perhaps it's just your own style seeping in too much, but like Kizamaji they don't look too official unless you look pretty hard. D: Your artwork is great and works as a sort of semi-Sugimori merged with your own ways of drawing things, but I think the Pokémon themselves are just a little too soft and rounded for it to look proper.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • I don't know why, but your recent images just don't scream Sugimori at all to me.
    I love Sugimori style and most people who attempt to imitate it really are awful at it.

You have the shading style down, but your lines look a little ... weird and unique to your own style. That is alright, but ... if that is the case -- why claim you are making 'Fake Sugimori' styled pokemon?

Honestly, I think it'd be better to practice actual animal anatomy before experimenting in creating your own creatures. Legs seem uneven, and just because it is a cartoony style does not give an excuse to dismiss error. I wouldn't listen to buttering up people give you occasionally. If you want to improve, take all the critique; good and bad -- and learn from it.

The lines aren't wierd, they're unique - yes, my style has blended in. This is only because I haven't learned how to make lineart like that of real sugi's..
    I can claim that I'm doing sugimoris.. that's what I'm trying to accomplish.. what else would the point be?
    Who said I didn't ever draw normal animals? I have practiced animal anatomy ever since my interest in animals appeared when I was about 5.. I never said I was perfect, though. Actually, i've said that myself many times(here, and on other sites..) I do consider critique all the time, even though I say things like "i don't think so" or "I think that the ____ is fine".. it sticks in my mind because I turned it down. Of course, doing that is always a little prideful(y'know, thinking that you know everything..)
    I AM improving, and I DO want to improve, and so I will take all critique; I'll try my best.
    Thank you.

Er.. you're Kizamaji from deviantart? Awkward. You said you were no good at anatomy on one of your journals. You're not bad, just unique. :)

HIIIIIIII KITSU-

Er. Ahem. I mean, hello, dear friend. c: Your coloring looks like some authentic Sugimori, but there's something about the lines that seems off... sorry, I can't pinpoint it. Perhaps it's just your own style seeping in too much, but like Kizamaji they don't look too official unless you look pretty hard. D: Your artwork is great and works as a sort of semi-Sugimori merged with your own ways of drawing things, but I think the Pokémon themselves are just a little too soft and rounded for it to look proper.

Too soft? Too rounded? I dunno what you mean. :/ Sorry.
    Anyway, whatever it is I'm sure that it has to do with my drawing style. Hey, you can't blame me, though.. I'm just an imitator. I can't be perfect since I'm imitating an artist. Don't get me wrong - I guess I can, but.. I'm not perfect. It'll take a while.

BUT, NONETHELESS, I have considered my lineart to be off. Like said before, I don't think I'm perfect, don't think that I think I know all about sugimori. I have used tutorials in which lineart is not described. *shrug* I'll need to experiment, but I've gone back to school from break, and my deviantart commissions are now taking up a lot of my time.
    Though I have discovered a new easy way of making similar lineart.. I'll need to try it out sometime. I have actually made a tutorial for it already..

https://kitsukitty.deviantart.com/art/Instant-Lineart-Tutorial-148758619

I see the lineart is more like a natural ink pen, but I'm still experimenting.. just be patient, time will teach me.

Trent_Jayir

Who the hell do you think i am
    Years
  • Its extremely difficult to imitate sugimori style of lines on a computer. It might be nice for you to try some traditional media? Just a thought to help you progress.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • Its extremely difficult to imitate sugimori style of lines on a computer. It might be nice for you to try some traditional media? Just a thought to help you progress.

ehhh that's what the tutorial demonstrates. That's the only method I know that I can use for that now.

This is one of the best fakemons I've ever seen. Maybe you should make the inner ear a bit pink ;D or at least a different color :)

BUT AMAZING STYLE

meh, the ear is white. Nuh pink. NUHN.
    Thanks.. it's got some (190?) faves on deviantart, my highest, most famous. ^^ I think it truly is my very best.

I made another with my auto lineart mehtod.. I dunno what to say. I think I'll need a tinner pen and that I need to work around with GIMP's filters and such.

Yeah, the lines are kinda dirty.. I wanted to get it out there. XD I need more patience. BUUT, what do you guys think?

Gunn

horror resident
    Years

• Best one so far:
    Spoiler:

I think I'll agree with a lot of people here, this Fakemon is too precious to ignore. The eyes are cute even if they aren't open and that's what makes it exciting to not know; almost like if the legendary Uxie were to open it's eyes. xD It's not as colorful as a lot of Pokemon/Fakemon out there, and that's why I think it's unique.

I personally believe that you're getting the hang of Sugimori style. This is a great tutorial made by the ex-moderator of the Art Gallery. She's really amazing. The tutorial covers everything about executing the official Pokemon art style perfectly. Even better, its for digital artists who use a mouse. :D

My own tip to follow the Sugimori style is to maybe try actual Pokemon as practice? Then maybe you can get a good idea and a better start on making more Fakemon. Pretty much just take what you've learned from real Pokemon and incorporating it into your own. Just a suggestion, of course.

You're stuff is neat. You're always presenting fresh ideas and have a lot of creativity. I'll be following your work. ^^

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years

• ∟I give up on this lineart. It's horrible. It threw off the whole pic..
    I remember seeing a gimp tutorial on how to make sugimori lineart but I can't find it now!! >_<'

I think I'll agree with a lot of people here, this Fakemon is too precious to ignore. The eyes are cute even if they aren't open and that's what makes it exciting to not know; almost like if the legendary Uxie were to open it's eyes. xD It's not as colorful as a lot of Pokemon/Fakemon out there, and that's why I think it's unique.

I personally believe that you're getting the hang of Sugimori style. This is a great tutorial made by the ex-moderator of the Art Gallery. She's really amazing. The tutorial covers everything about executing the official Pokemon art style perfectly. Even better, its for digital artists who use a mouse. :D

My own tip to follow the Sugimori style is to maybe try actual Pokemon as practice? Then maybe you can get a good idea and a better start on making more Fakemon. Pretty much just take what you've learned from real Pokemon and incorporating it into your own. Just a suggestion, of course.

You're stuff is neat. You're always presenting fresh ideas and have a lot of creativity. I'll be following your work. ^^

Eeee! Thanks! I really respect the fact that you actually took some time to write something really nice. XD I really should use real Pokemon(or maybe just animals), huh? Well look down on this post, I tried something else. I think it may be my second best Sugimori.

These are really good! Keep it up!

Thanks! Also, thanks for posting on Opal. ;D

I made another, it's called Vulcier.

Vulcier
    Ice Kitsune Pokémon
    The ice fixture around it's neck can form frost over a surface with just a touch. VULCIER are considered to be coldblooded.

I'm so proud of it that I keep staring at it! XDDDD
    Fave it on deviantart if you like it!: https://kitsukitty.deviantart.com/art/No-66-Vulcier-154116464

PLEASE. DO NOT COPY REDISTRIBUTE, RECOLOR, SAVE THE IMAGE, SCREENSHOT IT, OR EVEN PRINT IT WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.
    I'm serious. :/
    I'm an admin in an Art Theft reporting group..
    It's TERRIBLE!
    Anyways, critiques are very appreciated. :)

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
  • You're off to a really amazing start. The designs themselves are unique, though they still manage to retain that classic Pokemon feel. The shading is nice and subtle as well.

My only concern is that your lines can sometimes look a bit... stiff? I don't know how to describe it, but it seems to come from excessive use of the pen tool. It's almost unavoidable if you don't have a tablet to work with, but if you do, you might want to consider going freehand.

Nyu~♥!

Pokémon Opal Producer
    Years
  • You're off to a really amazing start. The designs themselves are unique, though they still manage to retain that classic Pokemon feel. The shading is nice and subtle as well.

My only concern is that your lines can sometimes look a bit... stiff? I don't know how to describe it, but it seems to come from excessive use of the pen tool. It's almost unavoidable if you don't have a tablet to work with, but if you do, you might want to consider going freehand.

Excessive use of the pen tool? I don't have a pen tool, I use GIMP, not Photoshop. Anyway it's the Path tool which is pretty much the same thing.
    Really, I can't do anything about that now until I buy myself some really thin pens or a pen tablet, which I'm saving up for. D:
    For now I will just have to experiment.

New:

Evolution of Vulcier, it's called Vuleeze(very uncreative name, I know. XD)

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Please do not revive threads over a month old here that isn't originally yours. :\

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back