• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kyogre vs. Groudon

Kendoman

Avalanche Dude!
Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2007
    Defenitely Groudon. Whenever I battle my friend who has ruby, he owns my evenly leveled Kyogre (I have no idea how) I wish I had it...

Rioku_Zanketa

...::Ultimate Warrior::...
    Years
  • they are evenly matched....Groudon may be ground/fire,but those abilities are so strong,it droughts the water the Kyogre shoots at him....that's the way it its...

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2006
    I'm ageeing with everyone who says they are equal,because well...they are. Thats why there is never a victor when it comes down to a one on one match with Kyogre and Groudon. In the game you guys can overpower the other with level,sp. attack strength and other factors, but if Groudon and Kyogre where to truly fight like how they used to in their history, no one would win.There would be so much destruction but no wavering sides, thats why Rayquaza always had to step in with each fight. So obviously they are both equally matched.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    YoMama said:
    It may depend who's effect activates last. For example, Kyogre comes outand starts Drizzle, and Groudon comes out and starts Drought. Kyogre would have to have Ice beam.

I agree, it completly depends on whose effect is last, and whoever is last will probably be the winner

kiarou

cold and silent
    Years
  • groundon has that solarbeam, and solarbeam vs water = water got owned, but kryogres water spout does a crap load of damage and his thunder never misses, so it could go both ways, but id put my money on kryogre. namely beacuz when ever i fight a groundon i can usually take it out in 3-5 turns, but if its a kryogre, it can rape my whole team

Natsuki

.bluefang.
    Years
  • I like them both equally, to tell you the truth. XD; I adore Water Pokemon, so Kyogre gets my vote simply on that aspect. But Groudon reminds me so much of my pet lizard who I loved very dearly, so of course I have a soft spot for Groudon. <33~

And they both seem equally powerful to me, so I like them both the same. :3

~Kelsey

MasterWGS

Impossible=Nothing, Mewtwo=OU
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Ohio
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Kyogre owns Groudon a billion to one. Groudon may have Solar Beam, but his Sp. Attack is so weak, and it's not STABed, making it even weaker. Plus, he's a ground type, so a natural weakness to water, which just happens to be Kyogre's type.

Green Bulbasaur

Grass Lover
    Years
  • Groudon will win in a heartbeat. Why?

Well, Groudon has the ability for the arena to be Sunny no matter what, so he can blast Solarbeam after Solarbeam without having to worry about charging. Plus, he has a higher defense then Kyogre.

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • Green Bulbasaur said:
    Groudon will win in a heartbeat. Why?

Well, Groudon has the ability for the arena to be Sunny no matter what, so he can blast Solarbeam after Solarbeam without having to worry about charging. Plus, he has a higher defense then Kyogre.

did you read what Grant said? I totally agree with him.. Groudon may have the Solarbeam, but its Special Atk is pretty weak.. and also about the part where Groudon doesn't get the STAB by using solarbeam.. and plus, the ground type that Groudon is makes is at a highly disadvantageous position when up against Kyogre o.O

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Uh... Groudon's Sp.Atk sucks, while Kyogre has a decent Sp.Defense. And what if Kyogre gets in play after Groudon? That way Kyogre will gain the upper hand, because its Drizzle ability will activate after Groudon's Drought. Not to mention Kyogre would pwn Groudon with Ice Beam anyway.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    I'd say equal, it depends on who gets the first turn cause they could both kill each other in one shot

Lathspell

T3H GR34T WH1T3
    Years
  • IMO it doesn't matter who beats who. It's natural that water beats ground, but that's not really the point. It's who's better overall, VS other pokemon too. I like Groundon more, he looks better and Earthquake is my favourite move. Also, put a Vileplume or a Exeggutor with Groundon and he owns :D

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • Smarties-kun said:
    Uh... Groudon's Sp.Atk sucks, while Kyogre has a decent Sp.Defense. And what if Kyogre gets in play after Groudon? That way Kyogre will gain the upper hand, because its Drizzle ability will activate after Groudon's Drought. Not to mention Kyogre would pwn Groudon with Ice Beam anyway.

Not only Ice Beam, let's not forget Kyogre's a water type too. One blast of its Water Spout and Groudon's gone.. the attack damage is about 1.5 x 1.5 of the 150 damage water spout inflicts (I think). Either way, Drizzle + STAB makes Kyogre invincible against Groudon. Even if Groudon has Solarbeam, there's no STAB, and may not necessarily gurantee that Groudon can kill off Kyogre with one attack.

Also, Groudon only has Solarbeam that can possibly kill Kyogre, whereas Kyogre has most of its attack strong against the ground-type legendary.. (ice beam, water spout, surf..... etc)

Years
  • It depends on the speed of the Pokemon if Kyogre attacks last Kyogre will win. However if Groudon attacks last Groudon will win.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Not only Ice Beam, let's not forget Kyogre's a water type too. One blast of its Water Spout and Groudon's gone.. the attack damage is about 1.5 x 1.5 of the 150 damage water spout inflicts (I think). Either way, Drizzle + STAB makes Kyogre invincible against Groudon. Even if Groudon has Solarbeam, there's no STAB, and may not necessarily gurantee that Groudon can kill off Kyogre with one attack.

Also, Groudon only has Solarbeam that can possibly kill Kyogre, whereas Kyogre has most of its attack strong against the ground-type legendary.. (ice beam, water spout, surf..... etc)
    It won't necessarily OHKO Groudon if Groudon comes into play second, because that way Groudon's Drought will be activated and Kyogre will lose its STAB bonus. And if Groudon manages to outspeed Kyogre and hits it with a STABed Earthquake when Kyogre is about to use Water spout, it's bye bye Kyogre. Besides, Water Spout sucks anyway. =\

As for the Groudon pwning Kyogre with Solarbeam, I LOL at that. Groudon's Sp.Atk sucks, making Earthquake more effective against Kyogre. Not only is Kyogre's base Sp.Defense 60 better than its defense but Groudon has a 50 better base Attack. Kyogre and Groudon also have the same base Speed stat, which means it's possible for Groudon to outspeed Kyogre.

Levski

Years
  • Groudon would win. If it is sent out second, Kyogre has no chance, because its Surf will be cut in half and Thunder doesn't effect Groudon. The standard one has Surf, Thunder, Calm Mind, Rest with Chesto Berry, but if it has Ice Beam over Rest there will still be a threat for Groudon.
    Groudon, with a STABed Earthquake and its godly Attack will seriosly damage Kyogre. On the first turn, if it Sword Dances and Kyogre doesn't KO it = dead Kyogre.
    Also, special Groudon is lol, simply because a Modest Groudon with EVs in SAtk will probably have a higher Atk stat. Solarbeam feeds off of Groudon's SAtk and goes against Kyogre's SDef, which is inevitably higher than it's Def.

As Shakespeare said,
    Shakespeare said:
    Thy Groudon hath thy Kyogre pwneth.
    xD

Gentleman J

Going to the Poké Ball also?
    Years
  • Kyogre doesn't have to so much as SPLASH to pone Groudon all over the floor.

I was on a mission to raise them both to 100 with max ideal EV's *snap* if only I had finished. I promise to finish before Pkmn Revolution (or whatever)

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • Smarties-kun said:
    Groudon's Drought will be activated and Kyogre will lose its STAB bonus.

It doesn't lose its STAB, does it? =\ the attack only falls till only x1.5.. It doesn't lose its STAB because Kyogre is still a water type, and a drought doesn't change Kyogre to become a grass or flying type.

so it's like:
    with drizzle, attack is x1.5 x 1.5
    without drizzle, attack is x1.5

Back