• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Lack of Water Routes

Giraffe

キリンリキ
Years
  • Well hey, at least we had one, right? :'D
    The only thing I was disappointed about the water was the fact that you don't get a rod till the end of the game. So you can't get Frillish till pretty late. ;-;

I totally agree with this -- Frillish is amazing, pity you have to wait.

However, water routes really annoy me, as do desert terrain routes, so I'm glad there are less!

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
    Years
  • Would rather Surf a stream anyway given what "blue-stripe Basculin" looks like.

Love the wake effect of Surf. Looks awesome. And a fast Waterfall climb is most welcome as it actually makes sense.

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    Lets just take the lack of water routes with a pinch of salt with Hoenn remakes coming soon, I think theres plenty of surfing in that reigion haha

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I kinda miss the water routes. And I think that the water routes in the game could've been designed a bit better. For example, Castelia City, which is basically the selling point of the games - let the Pokemon swim around there, as long as there were rocks blocking you to a certain point it would've been fine. :( I do find the Striaton City garden with water cute though, so it kinda makes up for it. BUT I STILL MISS SURFING A LOT.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    I personally am a fan of water types, so hearing that there is only a few any water routes is saddening :(
    I wouldn't want those long, dreading water routes that take forever to get through. But there should have been multiple lakes and rivers at a measurable size. Unova is supposed to be based of the U.S, which is surrounded by large oceans.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Thank God. I hated water routes; prime reason Hoenn sucked for me :S (among other things, but it was always a pain in the butt)

Fushigidane-Chan

Years
  • I do find the lack of Water routes disappointing. I never really saw a problem with them in the first place. Max Repels alone make them a lot more manageable, and while they are certainly wider than most land routes... I like exploring. I think there definitely could've been at least one mandatory water route we would have to cross before reaching the Elite Four. It isn't as if Surf is an attack everyone doesn't already carry a Pokemon with, anyway.

Spanner226

Millefiore Mechanic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2011
    I found water routes quite amusing(except the tentacools everywhere). I certainly am a little sad that they removed mandatory water routes, though there's always route 17 and route 18(optional routes).

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
    Years
  • I really don't mind it that much at all. I doesn't take any of my fondness for the games away. Actually, it probably makes me like it just a bit more, since maneuvering around the routes without the need for Surf/a water-type to Surf with makes things a little easier.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't mind the lack at all. In fact, I'm glad. I always found Surfing to be slower than walking anywhere, and also found the water routes to be more confusing. Especially when Dive was a factor to get around. Some days I didn't know where I was going.

Besides, it kind of makes sense to finally have a main-game region without a lot of water routes. We had Hoenn with its high amounts of water routes. Now there's Unova without a lot.

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Awwwww I love the water routes...
    but maybe it's because I didn't play RSE XD

Years
  • I am ok with their not being a lot of water routes in the game. I am glad it is just a few. In some of the past games their were a lot of water routes and water Pokemon so I am ok with it.

Dmatt

Medium-Rare Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    I'm not going to complain about the lack of water routes, I'm just sad that they never really took you to a needed area (to a gym or something). Like everyone else has stated, at least it's not Hoenn.

Cinnabar island begs to differ :p

I like the lack of long annoying Hoenn-esque water routes. I think it was a little unbalanced for a region that's practically a big bay, but I don't regret it.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Not a big fan of water routes, so I'm good with it. They can be such a pain, especially if you have no repels of any sort on you.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Cinnabar island begs to differ :p

I like the lack of long annoying Hoenn-esque water routes. I think it was a little unbalanced for a region that's practically a big bay, but I don't regret it.

They were obviously referring to Black and White, that's what the thread is about. Not the color generation o_o

Back