• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Languages

Years
    How many and what languages are you fluent in? Have you previously learned any, are currently learning, or wish to learn in the future?

Despite my mostly Vietnamese background, I don't know how to speak the language and can barely understand the majority of words being thrown at me by relatives ;___; Thankfully though, our family and relatives are all fluent in Cantonese so I normally communicate with them in that language. And of course, English. In university I took an introductory Korean course so I know how to write and that's pretty much it XD Everything else I learned has escaped. I also took Japanese before, but my teacher was going too slow so I thought watching anime would prove to be a better teaching method, LOL. French I took only in Grade 9 because it was mandatory and Latin I took all through high school, but it's a dead language...At least I know how to read :D

/edit. Wait a minute, I just realized there's a language club. Does this mean this thread is repetitive? D: If so, moderators go ahead and delete away~

Last edited:

Togfan

Decently-behaving Anime Girl
    Years
    Norwegian and English basically
    I'm learning German and wanting to learn Japanese

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    I was raised speaking Vietnamese, but forgot everything when I started elementary school so I'm fluent in English only (I can still understand limited Vietnamese though).

I'm learning Spanish right now, and I'd say I'm a pro in my class (but probably suck compared to a fluent speaker).

I want to learn French and Italian later on in life though. Maybe both.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
    English is my first language, I'm currently trying to learn Arabic. It's incredibly difficult however I can read, write and understand. I just have trouble putting words together.
    I have a tutor that comes over once a week.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I'd like to learn languages, but I'm absolutely awful at it. I took Spanish for two trimesters in middle school, got some minor vocab down, barely passed and was allowed to drop the class. I took Latin for two and a half years in high school, got a lot of vocab down, but passed maybe four semesters total. I tried learning Japanese from various things on-and-off for about six years, memorized hiragana and katakana and picked up some vocab but never actually got anywhere. Tried being taught German in high school by my tutor, who was fluent. Didn't get any of it. Tried learning French from Duolingo and actually did best with their methods, but got lazy and only retained minimal vocab.

Basically I have interest but no drive and don't do well with traditional teaching methods. :P I still like watching TV in other languages though because I get a feel for the tone of the language and pick up some stuff, but. Nothing anywhere near actual learning. So I'm only fluent in English with a smattering of acquired vocabulary.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2017
    English is my first language, and I know some Spanish (just simple things like colours and numbers and food), but I've been learning German for about a year and a half now and I really like it (but not my teacher, ughhhh).

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I know small amounts of a lot of languages, not unlike a lot of people probably. They pretty much include some vocab, phrases, numbers, and food. English, Mandarin, Cantonese, French, Japanese. I kinda want to take a stab at one of the Tolkien Elvish languages, because that just seems like it'd be fun to learn.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Ironically I don't know if there's a term for being beyond fluent, but that would describe my relationship with English. I would like to learn Japanese as I frequently encounter it; and would consider going on to Mandarin afterward depending on how socially isolate China remains, due to the sheer number of speakers.

Last edited:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I am fluent in English and Spanish, but even though I learned Spanish first, I'm better at English.
    I wanna learn French.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    First language is English, semi-fluent in Japanese, having studied abroad there and all...and I'm kinda okay at Spanish? If someone talks really slow I can understand what they're saying in Spanish, but usually not xD

Years
    I took one Spanish class last semester, and i'm following it up with the second introductory class here. First one I skimmed a B- on, this one is definitely more complex though.

I've also listened to some of my mom's Italian discs, which while i'm not technically interested in that myself, they're funny to read in context.

Years
    Fluent in Korean and English. (and Java)

Currently learning German but I'm a noob. I tried learning French in high school but I got disinterested after just one week. Luckily I'm not having that problem with German... yet. (hopefully never)

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    /edit. Wait a minute, I just realized there's a language club. Does this mean this thread is repetitive? D: If so, moderators go ahead and delete away~
    Nah, you're good! Personally, I'd consider English to be the only language I'm at all fluent in. Bengali I know how to sort of speak, and Spanish I know the extreme basics in regards to reading, writing, and speaking. Oh, and I can read Arabic, but not understand it. (y)

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
    Hindi is my First language, but I'm fluent in English, Hindi, Bengali and Punjabi!

Sniper

ふゆかい
    Years
    Tagalog, my first language. Second is English, I think I'm very good at English. I wanna learn Japanese more, I only know some but only how to pronounce it but not its alphabets.

TY

Dutch is my first language, and i can speak English and German quite well... and a little bit of Italian

Yukari

My first language Is English. I plan on learning Japanese, but as of now the only language I know is English.

Years
    My first language is English, and my second is Tagalog or Filipino.
    I don't really want to learn anymore languages.

I'm definitely fine with English alone.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
    I speak English of course, as that is my first language. And I'm getting better at sign language. I took that my first 3 years of high school. Also, I'm pretty fluent in Doge.
    Such language.
    Very interesting.
    Wow.

Back