• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: "L'art pour l'art" - DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
    i have one big screen for my desktop in the basement that i use. i just make sure in photoshop i have multiple windows opened. kind of annoying sometimes.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    Gonna start working on my new Gallery now folks! It won't have much in it, sadly, but it should look nice and be set up and ready for new stuff to be added!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    One of these days I'd like to redo my gallery. I love it, don't get me wrong, but the coding is outdated and I've learned a lot more since then. It's almost a year old now! Besides, pink is great and all, but idk man like what if I just feel like purple instead?

Kayla I might commission you to do another gorgeous header for me, just like way back when. :3

Circuit

Years
    But what about blue befitting to your class in the bloodline hierarchy? When I've caught up with homestuck I'll switch up my gallery to have a home stuck theme.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2022
    Just a quick question, where can I post remixes of game soundtracks? I made a bunch of those and I don't think it would do justice to put them on my gallery thread.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Just a quick question, where can I post remixes of game soundtracks? I made a bunch of those and I don't think it would do justice to put them on my gallery thread.

Oh, Culture & Media has a Creative Media Showcase Thread! If you're not sure, LORD ANTE is definitely the guy to ask.

If you want to post them in your gallery too though, I'll allow it. :)

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    One of these days I'd like to redo my gallery. I love it, don't get me wrong, but the coding is outdated and I've learned a lot more since then. It's almost a year old now! Besides, pink is great and all, but idk man like what if I just feel like purple instead?

Kayla I might commission you to do another gorgeous header for me, just like way back when. :3

It's a year old already? I remember you starting it when I just joined PC, haha.

My gallery could really use some CSS but I'm just too lazy to make some good CSS. I don't even collect all my pieces in my first post, just the fakes I use in my dex. Maybe I should reorganize that a bit.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    It's a year old already? I remember you starting it when I just joined PC, haha.

My gallery could really use some CSS but I'm just too lazy to make some good CSS. I don't even collect all my pieces in my first post, just the fakes I use in my dex. Maybe I should reorganize that a bit.

Well technically it's older than that! I've held a gallery here since I was promoted, so 2013? But yeah you joined in August and my gallery was made in August, making it a month shy of a year now. Gosh how time flies.

Luckily there's no right or wrong way to run a gallery. Anything that can work does work! Though if you ever want a helping hand with some coding, you can always come to me! :>

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Well technically it's older than that! I've held a gallery here since I was promoted, so 2013? But yeah you joined in August and my gallery was made in August, making it a month shy of a year now. Gosh how time flies.

Luckily there's no right or wrong way to run a gallery. Anything that can work does work! Though if you ever want a helping hand with some coding, you can always come to me! :>

I still feel like I've just joined this place, haha. I remember me joining because I was constantly sick and in my boredom started making sprites again.

Thanks, haha, I'll think I'll do fine myself. Setting up in the RPT has learned me some CSS, but if I ever need something super pretty, I'll ask you, haha.

Circuit

Years
    For me, its strange. I've just rejoined but I remember having a gallery before I left waaay back in 2010/11 and watching artists like Dukey create the most amazing tags. Now there's a new wave of amazing artists and I'm still sub-par. Its a little disheartening sometimes haha.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I know how you feel. Compared to some members I'm still a little fledgling! *looks as Aiden* A&D has such a longer history than I do, and it's incredible looking through the galleries of some of its most veteran members.

But I'm pretty happy you decided to join and start spriting again, no matter when it happened! n_n

@Aiden; don't worry, I once took a five year long break from art and, when I finally got back into it, I found that all I had lost was my hand steadiness and patience lol. It's something that never truly leaves you, so as long as you're committed to improve, it'll happen. Art is a labor of love.

Circuit

Years
    The kinds of things being created before were certainly varied. There was a lot of activity back in the day, and I'm confident it will be again, it just needs that push!

@Fairy that's reassuring to know. But I certainly don't intend to drop doing anything for nearly that long. I have a gallery to uphold! :)

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years

a header? i dont remember LOL. it's been so long since i've made stuff for other people lol. i would love to open a css or a profile shop on here, but i would be worried i wouldn't be able to finish them right away; i need to redesign my profile again.

Years
    Man I'm so happy things are picking up here in the A&D right when I decided to check out PC again. Since I've been home and had a real adult job I've been starved for art conversation.

I mean, I talk about things like that at work, like which colors should we use on this cake or should we put the bow here and the text here, but working under a 40+ year pro they already have it figured out most of the time. That's a good thing in that we are never lost, but in the rush of wedding season there's not a lot of room for exploration.

BUT WEDDING SEASON IS OVER THIS WEEK AND I GET A WEEK LONG VACATION YEAHHHH

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    a header? i dont remember LOL. it's been so long since i've made stuff for other people lol. i would love to open a css or a profile shop on here, but i would be worried i wouldn't be able to finish them right away; i need to redesign my profile again.

Yup! Waaaaay back when before I was promoted you made me the most awesome header for my first gallery. It was pink and gorgeous and had a Blissey I think! I'll post a link if I find it. I remember being so grateful cause no one had ever made anything so nice for me before. <3

I think you should! I want to integrate more diverse kinds of art in A&D, and include things like CSS and profile designs. One of these days you should take the leap; I bet you'd make a lot of people really happy.

Man I'm so happy things are picking up here in the A&D right when I decided to check out PC again. Since I've been home and had a real adult job I've been starved for art conversation.

I mean, I talk about things like that at work, like which colors should we use on this cake or should we put the bow here and the text here, but working under a 40+ year pro they already have it figured out most of the time. That's a good thing in that we are never lost, but in the rush of wedding season there's not a lot of room for exploration.

BUT WEDDING SEASON IS OVER THIS WEEK AND I GET A WEEK LONG VACATION YEAHHHH

I agree! We were in a lull for a while there but lately things are really picking up. It's so nice to actually have people here I can call my regulars cause honestly this section would be nothing without you guys.

Man, I'd love to learn how to decorate cakes. It looks so awesome but it seems like it would take a lot of patience and practice to be any good. I can do little things like piping and some basic fondant work, but that's about it. I once made a dolphin cake for a friend, and oh man that was a project lol.

Years
    I agree! We were in a lull for a while there but lately things are really picking up. It's so nice to actually have people here I can call my regulars cause honestly this section would be nothing without you guys.

Man, I'd love to learn how to decorate cakes. It looks so awesome but it seems like it would take a lot of patience and practice to be any good. I can do little things like piping and some basic fondant work, but that's about it. I once made a dolphin cake for a friend, and oh man that was a project lol.

haha, what can I say about decorating cakes? I guess I can say it took patience, but I can't really give you the best gauge on how to learn it or how long it takes, because doing it as your job for 8 - 12 hours starting from scratch really changes the way you learn it. I learned by doing it over and over on cakes and redoing it if it wasn't up to par. It's hard to get an opportunity to be better at icing cakes or putting icing flowers on it because you've literally got 100 orders that day. Trial and learning by fire, it works! But it is stressful...

The thing I still can't do very well is scroll work with a piping bag, in terms of doing s and c scrolls or writing script. I could always try but being able to measure out the writing to be center + customer's name is a lot of trial and error that's hard to take off so I haven't practiced yet. I know basic fondant things now as my job was to do the etc. work which usually included easy fondant that I struggled with, but now we have a woman who is super at fondant so I never have to do it again. (YAY.)

I think the hardest thing to learn is how to hold and grip your bag. It's so awkward at first, but if you can get the grip and squeeze right, it's easier to do more things. That is the one that takes the most practice because you just literally have to build up those muscles.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Oh wow, that sounds really intense! Most of what I know now did come from trial and error, but it was of my own accord so the environment was low stress. I couldn't imagine doing anything with cake under pressure; I'd be a damn disaster, lol. Sounds like the best way to go about it is to work in a bakery though. The tools I have are so limited (and a little pathetic) that I'd never get anywhere unless I just jumped right in and work my way up to decorator.

I'm also kind of a crappy baker? Like there's a chance the cake will look decent but no promises that it'll taste any good lol. So right now it doesn't make much sense for me to practice on my own since the results might not even be edible. And I'm paying for ingredients and tools and everything so it's a little silly for me to just decorate cakes and toss them.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
    Yup! Waaaaay back when before I was promoted you made me the most awesome header for my first gallery. It was pink and gorgeous and had a Blissey I think! I'll post a link if I find it. I remember being so grateful cause no one had ever made anything so nice for me before. <3

I think you should! I want to integrate more diverse kinds of art in A&D, and include things like CSS and profile designs. One of these days you should take the leap; I bet you'd make a lot of people really happy.

omg i probably have it someone in my documents on my old computer or i could find it posted in one of my old galleries.
    well i love designing profiles. it's a lot of fun! plus i know how to add text to animated gifs now so it would be good to do that for profiles.
    yeah a css and a profile shop would be great ^_^.

Years
    Oh wow, that sounds really intense! Most of what I know now did come from trial and error, but it was of my own accord so the environment was low stress. I couldn't imagine doing anything with cake under pressure; I'd be a damn disaster, lol. Sounds like the best way to go about it is to work in a bakery though. The tools I have are so limited (and a little pathetic) that I'd never get anywhere unless I just jumped right in and work my way up to decorator.

I'm also kind of a crappy baker? Like there's a chance the cake will look decent but no promises that it'll taste any good lol. So right now it doesn't make much sense for me to practice on my own since the results might not even be edible. And I'm paying for ingredients and tools and everything so it's a little silly for me to just decorate cakes and toss them.

Yeah, working at a bakery is the best way to learn. HOWEVER, not all bakeries are alike! Ours is pretty high stress, and there are some that are even more people and demand, but on the flip side there are much smaller ones or less stress ones. A lot of people who have come into work and ended up quitting came from a smaller bakery, or a walmart bakery and been alarmed by the pace and demand of ours considering how physically small and how few people we had. So if you wanted to work at one just check them out and see what the demand is usually like. However, some bakeries like walmart are low demand BECAUSE they are poor quality, so you wouldn't learn too much that way.

I'm not sure how it is everywhere else, but I don't bake the cakes at all! We have actual bakers one one half, and decorators on the other. There are floaters who do both, but for us it's normal that a decorator doesn't deal with baking, besides being able to tell if a cake taste/looks/feels right when we set them up. I've dropped some sugar cookies on loan because I am the etc. (I have something to admit...my job title is not actually cake artist, it's cake artist support. I guess I'd call it a jr decorator, but I'll get loaned to the bakers for dishes/stacking cooled cakes if they're low staffed.) So I don't think you have to worry about actually baking to be a decorator! We have a few people who will just order blank cakes for them to decorate if they are event planners and such.

You can also order cake dummies, that are just circle styrofoam that doesn't shed. If you put a small weight on top of those to hold them down while you ice them, as long as you nail them to a board you can decorate them and move them, and just scrape off the icing to do it again. That's how my co-worker learned how to do it at first workplace, I just got thrown into doing full cakes from the start. The steepest cost is the materials. When you're learning you should just use white, and use a canvas piping bag so you can wash it out instead of throwing away the plastic ones.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back