• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: "L'art pour l'art" - DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • For a start, put it in the quick Q&A thread, that's why I made it :P

I want to write something quite long on it for you, but I'm not yet sure how to word it. If you move it to Q&A before I come back, I'll give you the advice there :)

Oh, whoops, sorry. Posting it there in a minute!

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • I'm mostly doing stuff for the GT, but the Art School will be top priority once it's over!

Circuit

Years
  • Alright

My apologies to A&D in general. My plan was to have the Art School up by now, but irl stuff and my own organisational failures have left me sorely behind schedule. Tomorrow is the planned opening of the Art School, please bare with me while I sort myself out.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Alright

My apologies to A&D in general. My plan was to have the Art School up by now, but irl stuff and my own organisational failures have left me sorely behind schedule. Tomorrow is the planned opening of the Art School, please bare with me while I sort myself out.

It's no problem at all! You're not obligated to do any of that, so just take your time and make sure you are doing alright before worrying about A&D.

Take your time, you're doing fine. :)

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • Alright

art school? that sounds like a lot fun! is there going to be tutorials posted?

Years
  • Alright

Omg there's absolutely no reason to apologise! It's amazing you're doing it in the first place, so please take as much time as you need and don't worry!

Circuit

Years
  • It's up!

The Art School is LIVE. Checked, and there should be no faults in spelling or layout. Tutor Applications are also open. PM those to me once you've read the thread :D

Years
  • It's up!

The Art School is LIVE. Checked, and there should be no faults in spelling or layout. Tutor Applications are also open. PM those to me once you've read the thread :D

Congrats! I'm working on my application now!

The mentor application in the thread is missing the Timezone/Availability: and Additional Information: sections that both you and Fairy have.

Addition:
    I have a question for everyone! I've already pretty planned out what I will teach in Visual Development, but past that I'm trying to figure out other things I could teach. For right now with my job and the very starts of the school, I will just focus on this one class, however I'd like to ask what when looking at my art, what would you like me to teach from it?
    There are many things I'm knowledgeable about, but I'm trying to pin something more specific down. Like I can do digital painting, but I feel like trying to encompass that in one class would leave out a lot.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    ^I fixed the above errors.

That... is a really hard question for anyone that isn't you to answer! I mean I look at your art and I personally feel like your composition and positioning is really strong, but you might not feel so confident in those! Visual Development sounds like it'll encompass most of what you want to cover though, and as you teach that I'd say make a class of those topics that deserve being expanded upon. It's up to how much knowledge you feel you have in those areas too, not just your own talent!

Years
  • Thanks so much for setting up everything! :>
    One thing that's probably just my weird laptop: The "Available Tutors" box cuts off/overlaps with some of the "How to Sign up" text.

I'm still debating what exactly I'd be able to teach that isn't already covered by other tutors and what to put into the syllabus. Hmmmm

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    The coding is a work in progress.

You can teach overlapping topics! There's no rule saying you have to add to the programs diversity, or that you're obligated to teach something different from anyone else. Just do what feels comfortable for you. :)

And honestly, the syllabus I made up was just an example. You don't need to follow that guideline if it's a pain lol.

Years
  • Thanks so much for setting up everything! :>
    One thing that's probably just my weird laptop: The "Available Tutors" box cuts off/overlaps with some of the "How to Sign up" text.

I'm still debating what exactly I'd be able to teach that isn't already covered by other tutors and what to put into the syllabus. Hmmmm

Like Fairy said, multiple people teaching the same thing is fine, but didn't you say you wanted to teach a digital painting/color class earlier? No one is teaching that right now I believe!

Circuit

Years
  • Man, sorry I haven't been posting much besides in my own threads. I promise I'll get around to it, I've just got too many irons in the fire so to speak. When they die down a little I'll be back to my regular activity :)

Years
  • I know all the cool kids want to learn CSS and Pixel Art (yea like me) but I wish I could get a few more in my class hah! I'm hoping after everyone has a first go around with these two big classes people will start thinking about the other ones.
    Maybe.
    I sat down at a bookstore the other day for a few hours and wrote out my first lecture at least! I'm wondering if I should write them all down or wait until how potential students react to them, idk. (I may have written like 3 pages worth...)

But like I've said multiple places, I've quit my job and had my last day today, so now I will working on freelance illustration! I'm giving myself until wednesday to do all the tidying of my room, re-sorting my art supplies, what not to get my room into better working studio status! I wish I could have a different room for a studio, (a spacious closet when I was in college) but alas I live at home and have limited space now. So I'm gonna DO STUFF! So if you wanna randomly talk or do art stuff together just hit me up! I've got skype open all the time now.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I'd love to take part in your class (and stuff like Pixel Art for that matter). I have zero scratch or drawing skills though, which, from what I can tell, play a pretty important role in a lot of the stuff you have planned for Visual Development. I'm sorta like auditing, I've been lurking around Fairy's Pixel class and although I'm trying to get into a class, I'll definitely be checking out all the other classes that pop up. I think just watching though is more my speed for the stuff I'm unfamiliar with.

Years
  • I'd love to take part in your class (and stuff like Pixel Art for that matter). I have zero scratch or drawing skills though, which, from what I can tell, play a pretty important role in a lot of the stuff you have planned for Visual Development. I'm sorta like auditing, I've been lurking around Fairy's Pixel class and although I'm trying to get into a class, I'll definitely be checking out all the other classes that pop up. I think just watching though is more my speed for the stuff I'm unfamiliar with.

Ah! I get the auditing, it's just good to know who is or isn't interested vocally!

I do base things out of drawing pretty clearly, but it's not a requirement really! It's about building a way to plan images of all mediums, which can lean as heavily on reference as you need it to be. It's easier if you are sorta comfortable at drawing, but it doesn't have to be like that!
    Thumbnails pretty much only have to be at the level below, and from comps onwards if you wanted to do more graphic design/signature based stuff (we'll call them digital collage in illustration terms) you could begin doing drafts with the actual images you are thinking about using. And even if you did want to do it on drawing art or pixel art, the important part is the conceptualizing and composition, that's why I don't require a final image.

"L'art pour l'art" - DCC

Circuit

Years
  • Yeah guys, at the moment I've become very busy, and won't likely have much activity for the next couple of days. I'm hoping by Thursday I'll be back fully into the swing of things, but until then my activity will be minimal I'm afraid. I've got to do work and stuff, and then will be flying home. Basically, I will solely be progressing my own class, and perhaps I will find time to work on the other classes? That remains to be seen. But as I said, Thursday I am here again, just for now not much really. I'm really sorry about that, but real life decided everything was going to happen in three days and not spread it out for me haha!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back