• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Leaks/Rumors Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    See what I don't get about that is that this isn't limited to Litten, this has been the case with the other two as well, as well as 5 and 6's trio. Starters being more humanoid is a conscious decision that they've been going with for a while.

I mean, I don't like it either, but I genuinely think it's really clever in Litten's case, whereas I have no idea why Rowlet would turn into an archer (much as I adore that), or why a circus seal would turn into a mermaid. Even gen 6 has an RPG class motif going on, and gen 5's trio are based on different nobility, but I'm kinda lost on what the theme is supposed to be here.

Closest thing I can think of is iconic fictional characters. Litten being Tiger Mask, Rowlet obviously being Robin Hood, but I'm lost on Popplio.

Brains/Brawn/Beauty

Rowlet turning into an archer is already alluded to by it shooting feathers from its wings. And the first part of its name possibly comes from the last syllable of "arrow." First stage Popplio likes to perform by doing tricks and third stage Popplio likes to perform by singing.

Years
  • Brains/Brawn/Beauty

Rowlet turning into an archer is already alluded to by it shooting feathers from its wings. And the first part of its name possibly comes from the last syllable of "arrow." First stage Popplio likes to perform by doing tricks and third stage Popplio likes to perform by singing.

That definitely seems more plausible since Litten's evolution seems notably buff which symbolizes "brawn". Rowlet being the embodiment of "brains" come from its tendency to attack without making a sound which is like thinking before you move. Popplio's evolution having a majestic look is what obviously means "beauty".

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Like I said before, a possible reason for the decision of bipedal starters like Litten's final evo is the possibility of them being chosen by Sakurai to be the next new Pokémon rep for Super Smash Bros. (depending if he sees any potential ideas to use implement them).

No offense but this makes 0 sense. Why would they design a starter specifically to be used instead of just using another starter that's bipedal? Or just another Pokemon? If these are real, why wouldn't Popplio's evolution be bipedal as well so they can rep Pokemon?

See what I don't get about that is that this isn't limited to Litten, this has been the case with the other two as well, as well as 5 and 6's trio. Starters being more humanoid is a conscious decision that they've been going with for a while.

I mean if it helps I've disliked all fire starters since Infernape

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • No offense but this makes 0 sense. Why would they design a starter specifically to be used instead of just using another starter that's bipedal? Or just another Pokemon? If these are real, why wouldn't Popplio's evolution be bipedal as well so they can rep Pokemon?

All of the playable Pokémon except for Ivysaur, who only got in because of its vine whips, are bipedal, so it makes sense that whichever new Pokémon rep who will be added into Smash has to be preferably bipedal. Popplio's evolution may be able to stand up, but it'll move very awkward if it tries to stay upright, making Rowlet and Litten's evolutions the more likely choices. Or Sakurai could end up picking Rockruff's evolution instead, since Rockruff is being heavily marketed by Game Freak and its evolution is rumored to be like a werewolf, which are usually bipedal, if he doesn't want to do type repeats with the two starters (the Rowlet line's Flying typing is already taken by Charizard). But then again, odd-numbered gens never get a playable representation in Smash.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Let's see our Quad peds have been- Venusaur (I), Meganium (II), and Torterra (IV)
    Bi-peds- Charizard (I), Blastoise (I), Typlosion (II), Feraligatr (II), Sceptile (III), Blaziken (III), Infernape (IV), Empoleon (IV), Emboar (V), and all three gen VI starters.

Alternate between the two- Swampert (III), and Samurott (Typlosion might count as this too).

Neither- Serperior.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    I will hold my rosary beads so tightly for litten not to become fire/fighting

Hopefully. I'm pretty confident it's Fire/Dark. Based on the art its entire gimmick seems to be underhanded heel techniques like spitting Asian mist cat hair rather than straight fighting.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • While the leaks are semi-correct so far, I'm suspending my disbelief about the fully evolved starters until they're outright confirmed by Nintendo themselves.

Years
  • Interesting to see someone point out the notable lack of quadrupedal final evolutions, and aside from Samurott and Swampert (whose art usually displays them on all fours) the ones so far are all Grass-types. It is odd on why bipedal seems to often be the direction they take, especially for the Fire-types.

Anyways, here was the leak I was talking about that mentioned what the Totem Pokemon's purpose could be: https://s31.postimg.org/a2htkwxij/0198eca9_22dd_48f4_b7a7_160c17841512.jpg

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    While the leaks are semi-correct so far, I'm suspending my disbelief about the fully evolved starters until they're outright confirmed by Nintendo themselves.

I feel the same way. I don't want to assume even if some information has been correct

pkmnmaster69

When will this day end?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2020
    Not a big fan of these starters to be honest. With maybe Rowlets final evolution aside, these starters are probably worst next to Gen 5 for me. I'll pass on using them and hope previous gen starters are availiable in the early game, like in X & Y.

Years
  • Not a big fan of these starters to be honest. With maybe Rowlets final evolution aside, these starters are probably worst next to Gen 5 for me. I'll pass on using them and hope previous gen starters are availiable in the early game, like in X & Y.

I am doubting we'll have previous-gen starters available early, since I viewed X/Y as an exception due to the fact they wanted to showcase the Kanto starters' Mega Evolutions by having them obtained early. Otherwise, other-gen starters are usually only obtained in the postgame (which I'm likely guessing) or not at all unless if you trade one over, so if you don't like any of the Alola starters you might have to just resort to catching another Pokemon and replace your starter with it.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    All of the playable Pokémon except for Ivysaur, who only got in because of its vine whips, are bipedal, so it makes sense that whichever new Pokémon rep who will be added into Smash has to be preferably bipedal. Popplio's evolution may be able to stand up, but it'll move very awkward if it tries to stay upright, making Rowlet and Litten's evolutions the more likely choices. Or Sakurai could end up picking Rockruff's evolution instead, since Rockruff is being heavily marketed by Game Freak and its evolution is rumored to be like a werewolf, which are usually bipedal, if he doesn't want to do type repeats with the two starters (the Rowlet line's Flying typing is already taken by Charizard). But then again, odd-numbered gens never get a playable representation in Smash.

If we're strictly talking Smash, Sakurai loves to do unique things, so he would definitely be someone to take a page from Pokkén's book and try to make a quadruped fighter work (like how Pokkén did with Suicune). Which ultimately means that, if Game Freak/The Pokémon Company/whoever is really taking the possibility of the starters being in Smash so seriously when coming up with a design, Litten's evolution probably has the least chance of being playable because in the end it's just more of the same, whereas Smash likes to look for things that are different. In my opinion, Rowlett's evolution has the best chance because it's a unique idea, and Smash only has Link and Pit as an archer (neither of whom actually use that as a primary focus). So yeah, if Game Freak is really basing the starters over what they think will get into Smash (I actually kind of doubt it), they're tackling it the wrong way.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • If we're strictly talking Smash, Sakurai loves to do unique things, so he would definitely be someone to take a page from Pokkén's book and try to make a quadruped fighter work (like how Pokkén did with Suicune). Which ultimately means that, if Game Freak/The Pokémon Company/whoever is really taking the possibility of the starters being in Smash so seriously when coming up with a design, Litten's evolution probably has the least chance of being playable because in the end it's just more of the same, whereas Smash likes to look for things that are different. In my opinion, Rowlett's evolution has the best chance because it's a unique idea, and Smash only has Link and Pit as an archer (neither of whom actually use that as a primary focus). So yeah, if Game Freak is really basing the starters over what they think will get into Smash (I actually kind of doubt it), they're tackling it the wrong way.

I agree that Rowlet's final evo is the best choice of the three starters, but there's one problem: Charizard. Both starters are part Flying, and I don't think they want to do any type repeats, which was why Squirtle didn't came back despite also being a fan favorite like Charizard because of Greninja's presence. That's why I'm banking on Rockruff's evolution instead, since Game Freak is hyping it alongside with the starters for sharing the same secret.

Also, Pokken is a completely different beast from Super Smash Bros., as none of them share the exact same mechanics to make one Pokémon from one of the games possible for the other game.

pkmnmaster69

When will this day end?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2020
    Never say never, guys! Not specifically saying that you guys said it, still! Point being, if you ever are dissatisfied with the current starters, there might be an opportunity to catch other starters, as well. It's definitely possible that it'll be post-game like ORAS, or it'll just be in the beginning like X/Y. We won't know until it's revealed, so let's hope, right? :>

It'll probably be Johto Pokemon though, since Kanto already had their time in the limelight.

I really do hope so, otherwise I may just trade or use Pokebank (if early update is available) to grab a different starter.

Gen 2 would be even better since Gold/Silver were my first games + a lot of references to Ho-Oh/Lugia have been revealed.

Years
  • I actually like Tiger Mask, just not as much as the other two final evolutions. The starter pokemon I am not a fan of tend to be "ugly" or "rotund" - Feraligtr, Emboar, and Swampert are the worst three in that respect. Tiger-Mask on the other hand is masculine, but certainly not rotund or ugly. Rather, it reminds me of the sinister, handsome, and charasmatic Lysandre.

Leaks/Rumors Discussion Thread

That being said, Poppmaid is a dream come true. And Robbinhoot is just flat-out amazing...somehow it still ends up being my least favorite of THIS generation, but I like litten3 more than the majority of fire starters. I'm really having a hard time seeing why there are some people who dislike ALL of them. It feel like these are more varied, distinguishable, and unique as starter final evolutions. No offense to Charizard, since he is in my top 10 final starters, but its design isn't innovative...it's rather simple. If a pokemon similar to charizard were released in this generation, would it get just as much, if not more criticism? At a certain point, it seems like people just are not going to be pleased either way.

If I had to have three starters on my team, and they all had to be from the same region, it would easily be this generation as my choice. The Brain/Beauty/Brawn variety seems emblematic of the reason why we have starters -- variety of choice. I love Poppmaid, but if they were all feminine...I would be disappointed, because of the uniformity. Likewise, it seems like other generations have starter trios that are somewhat generic, boring, and EXPECTED.

Many of the people who have expressed dislike for these pokemon seem to want bigger, badass, awesome, androgenous/masculine versions of the first stage pokemon-- for all of the starters. That is kind of how gen 1 and gen 4 were in that you could describe all of the final evolutions as being all of those traits...which is just boring and predictable.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    I personally hope Popplio-mermaid is real because we needed a more feminine looking starter; I don't think we've ever had that since...Meganium, maybe?
    Delphox and (kind of) Serperior were pretty feminine as well, especially the former.

Years
  • Never say never, guys! Not specifically saying that you guys said it, still! Point being, if you ever are dissatisfied with the current starters, there might be an opportunity to catch other starters, as well. It's definitely possible that it'll be post-game like ORAS, or it'll just be in the beginning like X/Y. We won't know until it's revealed, so let's hope, right? :>

It'll probably be Johto Pokemon though, since Kanto already had their time in the limelight.

You do have a point, it's just that there's always someone out there who isn't happy with the new Pokemon. My guess is that it will likely be post-game that we can get alternate starters, but we'll have to wait for the games to be released to know for sure.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • A freshly new leak has arrived:

Spoiler:
    This gives us a total number of 104 Pokémon if true.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back