• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Learning Languages

AriArk

Survey Corps
Years
  • Is anyone learning any languages (or have already learnt) other than english? If so, say why your learning it or whatever. I'm learning Japanese because anime XD

Years
  • Both German and Japanese I would love to know fluently. However, my life is very busy currently and don't have the time to dedicate to learning a language. I do have some books on Japanese and I do read through them when I have some spare moments, but yeah.​

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • I'm learning Japanese atm and it is my favorite Asian language. I'm really interested in Japan's culture and it is in my plans to visit Japan either through my school or with my family. There's still a lot for me to learn though, I'm just at the tip of the ice burg it seems.

Tried Mandarin, didn't like it even though I hear it every day and I might as well get used to it. It's interesting to me how it's a tonal language, but I make no plans right now to learn it even though I am dipping my toes a bit into Chinese culture. I might change my mind in the future though, who knows, because I am liking what I'm reading/seeing so far.

I got to a basic's level in Korean but stopped because I no longer like kpop nor want to visit Korea any longer so it's of no use to me (even though I still do enjoy some kimchi noodles every now and then). I still remember a lot of words and can read words here and there.

I took Spanish in high school so I can read some Spanish and understand a bit.

I really love learning new languages as you can tell lol even though I have limited time to spend on it. I think it opens new opportunities on meeting new people, learning about their ways of life and culture, and how things are different or similar to things back home.

Years
  • I'm learning japanese (and NOT because of anime), which I've progressed a fair bit through.

I'm also planning to learn dutch but haven't started doing it seriously yet.

I did latin for a year but quit because that was boring as hell

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • I'm fluent in both Bulgarian and English. I used to study German back in 5th grade, but I switched schools. I'm currently trying to relearn it by taking online lessons. I also know a little French, and the basics of, like, 6 other languages, but I don't think they count.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    I'm only fluent in English. I do know a few words here and there from some other languages, but the main ones I am learning are French, Spanish, Japanese and Croatian. I got a C in French but forgot like 90% of it. I do try and learn other little bits and pieces of other languages just so I can use them at any time.

Like this for example: Здравейте which is hello in Bulgarian. My Da taught me that one when he came back from his holiday in Bulgaria a few months ago. Thing is, even little bits and pieces of other languages can really impress the people who are native to that country, like "Kung hei fat choy" said at my local Chinese takeaway really impressed the guy, too. Happy New Year that meant.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I try so hard to be fluent in Spanish since it's the language of my ethnicity. I can understand a lot of it and read and write some of it. Trying to reply in complete sentences is difficult though. I always forget like 1 or 2 words in Spanish when speaking a sentence and then I have to break into English to finish my thought. This can cause major confusion when I speak to family members that never bothered to learn a shred of English.

Years
  • Well I was going to take German for 6 years, but then the dumb ass school board decided to cut it out of infinity, so no German >:(

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I've been studying French off and on for the past nine years, but I never studied it diligently enough to consider myself fluent. I still have all of my notes and essays and crap from 7th grade French all the way up through French II taken at my college. I've been meaning to go through them to refresh myself and pick it back up more seriously, but I never got around to it.

Oh, and I can read Japanese hiragana and katakana. I don't know any vocabulary, but at least I can read it lol.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I don't currently know any languages besides English. I think I should learn as many languages as possible because of the value of vocabulary that only exists in common tongue in certain languages. Often times there's things I have trouble describing and I have a feeling a lot of the words I'm looking for could be in other languages.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Well... I speak french so english is my second language and I am not really fluent... I don't have any problem when it come to understand english and reading in english, but when it come to speak and writing... well you can see by yourself lol.

Years
  • I'm fluent at English and Russian but really want to learn Japanese sometime, though German and French are also lovely so... the choice is tough. Am hoping to go to language school or study abroad sometime so that'll provide me with so many more options. =] Languages are amazing and if I had the time/energy I'd learn as many as I can but alas that won't happen haha.

Often I speak in half English and half Russian at home, too, so that's always fun. :D

Sanguine

malignant narcissist
    Years
  • I'm fluent in English and French. I'm being forced to learn Russian because my mama thinks I need to be able to speak with everyone in my family, and I'm trying to learn Spanish but it's progressing pretty slowly.

In the future, I guess I'd like to learn Italian, because hnnngity

Kyoe

working on it
    Years
  • I know a fair amount of Japanese, Latin, and German. I also know a basic bit of Cantonese, French, Castilian Spanish, and bits of different Hindu languages.

I really like learning languages, and after I finish with the ones I'm actively learning now I'm going to try to learn Mandarin, Dutch, Swedish, and Hawaiian.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • I don't like it. Atleast i dont like being forced too. No matter how much they say it will come in handy it never will. Algebra came in handy geometry didnt. You know what language would? Probably Japanese its a fun language id love to learn it and if i want to got to japan id like to know some stuff and i do want to go. Really im not going to spain any time soon im not spanish im italian so why cant i learn that? Even if there are spanish people in the country im not up for being a translator and eventhough a good amount of jobs require you did learn a language most people forget it by that time lol.

Back