• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Learning Languages

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't like it. Atleast i dont like being forced too. No matter how much they say it will come in handy it never will. Algebra came in handy geometry didnt. You know what language would? Probably Japanese its a fun language id love to learn it and if i want to got to japan id like to know some stuff and i do want to go. Really im not going to spain any time soon im not spanish im italian so why cant i learn that? Even if there are spanish people in the country im not up for being a translator and eventhough a good amount of jobs require you did learn a language most people forget it by that time lol.
    Idk, I'd say that learning another language is pretty useful unless you live in a place where everyone speaks one language and you never ever leave that place in your life. I think that being fluent in another language can open up some stuff to you.

I'd would like to be fluent in another language, but I find learning another language difficult. I'm also kinda lazy and there's no pressing need to learn another language; it's not like I absolutely have to move to like France in 6 months for whatever reason and need to learn French.

Years
    I really want to start learning Korean, but I also need to pick up some Chinese because I might be visiting Lanzhou this summer with my ex-boyfriend who's from there.

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
    Years
    I am trying out chinese, even though I'm Asian and Taiwanese I can't speak it well..since I'm also american LOL tried Japanese but I should focus on one language.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Nope! I would have loved to during high school but sadly my school doesn't offer languages :L. When I start uni though in March some time, I'm planning to do a concurrent Diploma alongside my Biomed degree in Arabic (my native(?) language).

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    Between primary and high school I jumped round learning French, German, Chinese and Spanish since it was compulsory for my school. I kept up with Chinese since our school made it Japanese unavailable at my school by the time I was old enough to take it and Chinese was somewhat the closest and ended up quitting it a year later.

I guess I'm still learning Tagalog, even though I'm a filipino, I'm no where near fluent besides understanding (because I wasn't born in the Philippines and speak English to my parents).

Plan to study a small bit of Japanese in the future, but not really planning to go fluent.

Hannah

beep bop boop
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    Because English isn't my first language, I know how to speak Filipino. But other than that, I know how to speak a little French and Spanish. I do want to learn more of French, though. I'm planning to take an elective next year at my school that will give me the chance to learn French.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Unless C++ counts, then no, I am not learning any new languages at the moment. I really want to learn Mandarin though, there are a lot of Chinese kids who I go to school with and at least learning the basics of Mandarin would help me to maybe connect with them a little more. Plus, I think it would be interesting to visit China and Mandarin would be very useful to know, not to mention it's probably still the most spoken language in the world. Apart from that I would also like to learn Spanish as well.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Spanish is my first language but I am better with English. That being said, I'm learning Portuguese because of the similarities with Spanish, and I'd like to try Esperanto because from what I've heard, it's a pretty easy language to learn and helps you learning others.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
    My first language is Hakka, a Chinese dialect, followed by English. We have to learn Mandarin Chinese in school, but it is something we rarely speak at home.

I'm currently learning Cantonese, Minnan (Hokkien) and Japanese. I understand a decent amount of Cantonese but I am just darn shy to speak it. Hokkien is really useful in helping to blend in with the more senior community of Singapore, as well as the military. Japanese because of interest. I love Japan after all.

Back