• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Least favorite Pokemon game

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2016
    My least favourite Pokémon game is...!? Wait... I heard a noise...
    Oh, it was just Pikachu! Hey You Pikachu!
    (Sorry for the bad joke)

Last edited:

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    for whatever reason I used to hate mystery dungeon with a passion but i've recently come to the realization that it's my second favorite pokemon game. i stopped playing pokèmon for about five years so I missed out on a ton of games but my least favorite was fire red. i just really hated all of the towns, the music and the starters especially.

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
    Years
  • I didn't think I could tell dat when I've only played Gen I to III, but, for my second journey in Pokemon Emerald (ones that got away challenge), I feel the same than in my first journey, so I think there's a problem with this game.

In fact I really get bored when Hoenn becomes open and when it allows you to roam wherever you want (2nd - 3rd badge I guess).
    Maybe it's just me disliking the exploring part or stuff, but this bores me since wild Pokemon and Trainers are not that cool, you cannot even grind correctly, plus it seems a bit flat because you don't have any interesting HMs at this point.

Maybe we can add to it the fact that I've never played a Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald on an actual handheld console. And if I did it would have pissed me off because emulator x10 Speed is so neat.

But!
    RSE introduced some nice Pokemon I liked to use, such as Hariyama or Gardevoir.
    The Nature and Abilities stuff was great as well.

Years
  • For main games it has to be FRLG. They were alright but then got really tedious, especially with all those island side quest thingies.

And for the love of Jesus, I cannot stand anything and everything there is about Pokemon Channel.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm only going to go with the main series here. FR/LG are the worst :/ As remakes of R/B they of course had better graphics and such, but they were so pale and empty in comparison to R/S. The Hoenn games were well adapted to their vivid region and mechanics, while FR/LG only felt plastic to me. Even the music was nothing to cheer for in comparison. And, as with all Gen III games, I was sad to see the day/night system go as that really made G/S/C feel deep and alive, Gameboy Color graphics aside. FR/LG just weren't good remakes. HG/SS and ORAS seem to have been much better at that :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2015
    Don't understand why people are thinking FRLG are the worst/their least favorites. They may lack most of the features newer games provide...but that's because they came before them, so it's understandable. Imo they're the oldest games still worth going back to for gameplay reasons rather than 8-bit nostalgia.

The worst for me has always been Diamond & Pearl. Sluggish and just a chore to play through rather than fun. The original Ruby & Sapphire are similar, but thankfully all four of these games now are obsolete due to excellent remakes (Platinum, Emerald, ORAS). My least favorite game that hasn't been remade is probably Black 2/White 2. I feel like it sold out a lot of the original B/W's charm and at points, was just tedious to run through. Especially that long stretch between the 6th and 7th gyms. I hate long chunks of nothing gameplay inbetween badges.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald are definitely the games I like the least. Fortunately FireRed/LeafGreen were made and saved that generation. Otherwise my interest would have died right there.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Don't understand why people are thinking FRLG are the worst/their least favorites. They may lack most of the features newer games provide...but that's because they came before them, so it's understandable. Imo they're the oldest games still worth going back to for gameplay reasons rather than 8-bit nostalgia.

They also lacked many features that GSC and RS had, which is why many of us were disappointed with them. They took several steps backwards without taking any forwards (something even RS managed to do). Yes, they were remakes, but remake does not mean "make a 16-bit clone of the originals and call it a day." If we wanted to relive the nostalgia of the originals, then we would've just played the originals. HGSS and ORAS actually gave people reasons to play them over the originals (besides mere trading compatibility).

The only reason why FRLG are "the oldest games still worth going back to for gameplay reasons rather than 8-bit nostalgia" is out of default. The Gen 1 story isn't represented in any newer games, and FireRed is still the newest base that's both very stable and very easy to hack. If not for those two things, FRLG would be even more forgotten nowadays.

Years
  • I'm only going to go with the main series here. FR/LG are the worst :/ As remakes of R/B they of course had better graphics and such, but they were so pale and empty in comparison to R/S. The Hoenn games were well adapted to their vivid region and mechanics, while FR/LG only felt plastic to me. Even the music was nothing to cheer for in comparison. And, as with all Gen III games, I was sad to see the day/night system go as that really made G/S/C feel deep and alive, Gameboy Color graphics aside. FR/LG just weren't good remakes. HG/SS and ORAS seem to have been much better at that :)
    Agreed.

I remember when I asked for Pokemon Ruby for my birth day...and I ended up receiving a FireRed game. At first I was like "wow, cool!" Sadly the game wasn't fun at all, the graphics were stale, I ended up wasting a couple days trying to evolve an eevee into an espeon (only to find out that time doesn't exist in kanto???), other new evolutions introduced in gen II required the player to beat the game among other tasks (because that makes any sense), there were no substantial additions to the story-line or gameplay aside from the boring sevii islands, updated mechanics, and a couple lame minigames.

FRLG are by far my least favorite of the main series.

BW/B2W2 > GSC > RSE = XY > ORAS > D/P/Pt = HGSS >>> RBY >>>>>>>>>>> FRLG

Years
  • If you were never asked to set a clock and night time never showed up, why would you think time would be a variable?

Not sure. Ask my 11 year-old self, there was an expectation espeon/umbreon would be obtainable if I maxed eevee's happiness. Further, I wasted time trying to evolve a golbat before I had to search via dial-up internet that one must beat the game and complete a few tasks before crobat is available. Why? Who the hell knows.Further, why was the time system introduced in gen II and continued through gen III not included? Did they think that by excluded time it kept the game more true to the original games? Taking away mechanics and implementing restrictions for no reason, that negatively affects gameplay, is the real question to be asking here.

It's still incredibly pointless for GF to restrict evolutions of espeon and umbreon...with that said, even if time was a variable I wouldn't be able to use them steelix, kingdra, crobat, slowking, hitmontop, and blissey until after beating the game and no where do they hint at that.

This again, is just one of many reasons why this feels stale.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Well back then, I would understand why they would want you to use the things that were in the original RB to beat it, at least on technology that wasn't as advanced as the (3)DS, so I could understand why they didn't have the extra evolutions there.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2021
    Gen III in general was a major step back in terms of features, with the removal of two major features introduced in Gen II; Day/Night cycle and cross-gen trading. It introduced several features to try to compensate for it, but IMO it wasn't enough, especially considering that most of the old Pokemon was not obtainable at all until FR/LG came out. R/S/E wasn't so bad with all the new features it introduced, but what Gamefreak did with FR/LG was a big no. Stripping as many Gen III features as you can away as to pander to the nostalgia of the fanbase who hated it anyway is a big no when Gen III in general removed so many features.
    That said, FR/LG aren't my least favorite games. I've always had less love towards the Gen II games, their remakes and B/W2 for reasons I've said many times before. I haven't played any of the terrible spinoff games (only played PMD, Ranger and Stadium) and refuse to play the "Freeium" rubbish that's being pumped out lately, but none of what I played were as bad as G/S/C and B/W2.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    ^ Not to mention it was incredibly frustrating in FRLG the fact that you had to catch x amount of Pokemon in order to get anywhere story-wise. And yes, one part of Pokemon is to "catch 'em all", but don't make that a ****ing obligation, you would be doing it wrong. Leave the Pokedex finishing to those who actually care about it.

That was actually a flaw of the originals, although FRLG did nothing to fix it and if anything, made it even worse by locking off the National Pokédex and most of the Sevii Islands until you caught 60 Pokémon.

Almost anything positive that could be said for FRLG could also be said for the originals, which is those games' biggest flaw. HGSS and ORAS were able to stand apart from their respective originals, while FRLG aren't really anything but 16 bit RB. Even Yellow brought more changes to Gen 1 than FRLG did, which is just sad.

AquaMarine8

One less, one less problem~
    Years
  • I would have to say Diamond/Pearl. Even though I've never played them, I did try to watch a Let's Play one time of Diamond and just couldn't get into it. :/

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Ok I know this is gonna sound shocking to most of you, but I didnt quite like HGSS for mainly two reasons:
    1. Superficial and boring plot.
    2. Small diversity of Pokemon (Not including post game).

Don't kill me please ;)

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    It's very close between FR/LG and G/S/C|HG/SS. I enjoyed the original R/B/Y, but FR/LG just felt too bland to me. The legendary music could have been redone, at least, I didn't like the idea of setting the normal encounter music up an octave or two.

In response to G/S/C|HG/SS, I did like it when I first played it but began to dislike the original and it's remake. It felt as though it dragged on too much, and the story wasn't appealing at all. Also, I think both games are over-hyped which makes me dislike them even more.

Zachella-chan

Winter is coming
    Years
  • I have to say Pokemon B/W 2. From the Pokemon to the story, I just found it pretty forgettable. I would have mentioned a spin off game, but all the ones I've actually played I really enjoyed and even hold a bit of nostalgia for me aha.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    I deffo didn't like HeartGold/SoulSilver. The only good things about it are that "talking to Pokémon" gimmick (I admit it, Totodile jumping and hugging you is pretty adorable), the fact you can constantly keep your running shoes on, and the fact that it's in Gen IV so Pokémon like Gligar, Sneasel, Misdreavus, Murkrow and Aipom have evolutions that make them better in any and every way.

I swear I can't think of any other positive aspects. I don't like the Pokémon, I don't like the region, I don't like having Ethan/Lyra around as they're just a waste of time, I don't like how the Silver and Giovanni subplot is event-exclusive and I definitely don't care for all the new, fancy stuff they added since the game is super-slow and boring anyway.
    I'm not interested in taking a picture with Sabrina or having Lt. Surge trade me a German Pikachu. I'm not interested in hearing the sound of water in Ecruteak City. I wish I could be interested in this stuff, but I really am not. I don't care. Why waste so much energy on such small, trivial details when there are still many things that need to be improved? Why polish these unimportant parts of the game so much when the game is unbalanced due to stuff like Natures not even existing back in Gen II, level grinding in Kanto is still a pain, and Feraligatr can still single-handedly break the game?

Also I didn't like the New Bark Town and Champion battle theme remixes made by those meanies over at Game Freak, so boo!

All jokes aside, I'm sorry for being so whiny. I just don't enjoy those games, 's all. I'm not very fond of the originals and D/P/Pt either, but I definitely don't dislike them nearly as much as HG/SS.

Back