• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Let's talk about Gym leaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
    Years
    Let's see, these are the number of gyms that each type has:

Rock: 3 (Pewter, Rustboro, Oreburgh)
    Fighting: 3 (Cianwood, Dewford, Veilstone)
    Electric: 3 (Vermillion, Mauville, Sunnyshore)
    Water: 3 (Cerulean, Sootopolis, Pastoria)

Grass: 2 (Celadon, Eterna)
    Fire: 2 (Cinnabar, Lavaridge)
    Ghost: 2 (Eurecteak, Hearthome)
    Psychic: 2 (Saffron, Mossdeep)
    Ice: 2 (Mahogany, Snowpoint)
    Steel: 2 (Olivine, Canaclave)
    Flying: 2 (Violet, Fortree)
    Normal: 2 (Goldenrod, Petalburg)

Bug: 1 (Azalea)
    Dragon: 1 (Blackthorn)
    Ground: 1 (Viridian)
    Poison: 1 (Fuschia)

Dark: 0

I think that Dark is a definite, GF would have to be brain-dead to leave it out again. It'll probably be a late gym as Dark-types are generally quite strong and a Dark-type leader is likely to use complex tactics, though it could work as an early gym. I think we are very likely to see Bug, Dragon, Ground and Poison as we've only had one of each, and none in the last two generations. I'd like to see a late Bug gym and an early Dragon gym, that would be interesting, people would think Bug=weak and Dragon=strong, but a gym leader with Heracross, Scizor and the like would shut them up. Although we did just have a Bug E4 member, so maybe a middle gym is more likely for Bug.

We're unlikely to see any of the gyms that already have 3 to their name, that would be overkill. So we have the 8 with 2, competing for 3 spaces. It could be any of them, but logic hopes that we won't see any of the same gyms we saw in the last generation, therefore it'll be 3 of Fire, Psychic, Flying and Normal. Now Psychic has been overdone all around, with 2 E4 members to its name, but I suspect we might well see a Flying and/or Normal-type E4 member, as they, along with Grass, are the only types not yet represented in the E4, and so are unlikely to have a gym as well.

Of course, this is all assuming that they keep to the monotyped gym formula. It's likely that they will, but this generation does seem to be different from the others in many ways, and we keep getting the message that these games will be different from any other game before, so anything is possible.

This is also assuming that GF have a shred of logic to their name, which is debatable.

So, my top three wishes:

1) Dark-type gym, 'nuff said.
    2) No Fighting-type gym leader OR E4 member please. So far we've had 2 E4 members and 3 and a half gyms. That's quite enough, thank you.
    3) Please, god please, no Rock gym. And if there is what, can it not be the first gym? We've done it three times already, any more would be simply ridiculous. It's boring, repetitive and uninspired, and we've had enough of it.

You covered it quite nicely. :P Generally I think the puzzles in the gym are well justified and should remain, you're getting a gym badge, be prepared to work for it.

I too am hoping for a Dark gym and no first time around rock gym.

My other idea was to make gyms part of the terrain, so instead of having to enter a building you have to climb a mountain!! Wild pokemon battle included!! That way you could even return to the gym to train!!

Hantsuki

a little wolf inside a girl
    Years
    I kind of want something completely different. Not just another elemental type gym leader specialty, but actually a gym leader who has a team of another type. For example, how Falkner specialized in bird types (which is obviously flying), but I would like to have what I think would be called a "species" leader. For example, like that bird idea, they could have a canine leader (Pokemon that resemble dogs) or a feline leader (Pokemon that resemble cats) and maybe some others, a turtle leader or whatever.

Not like they would do something like that, but it would be nice to see something a little bit different.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I'd like it to be COMPLETELY different i.e

Psychic
    Fire
    Dragon
    Steel
    Water
    Grass
    Bug
    Dark

I really want a Dark type gym leader
    I would really like to see these types be the ones chosen for gym leaders. Maybe not in that order, since I would really prefer Psychic and Dragon to be used later (psychic probably Gym #6 and Dragon Gym #5) but it would really be nice to drift away from the typical rock, electric, fighting, water that you basically find in nearly every single region. But I'm really excited to see the gym leaders more than what type's they'll be specializing in. It'd also be interesting to see something like the fighting dojo be reintroduced in this region and have some mini-gyms for experience purposes.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    My other idea was to make gyms part of the terrain, so instead of having to enter a building you have to climb a mountain!! Wild pokemon battle included!! That way you could even return to the gym to train!!

That would be epic. To fight a Water-type leader you have to swim to the bottom of the ocean, to find the Bug leader you must make your way deep into a forest... that would make an incredible game. There would have to be a Pokemon Centre near the leader though.

Bay

Years
    Gyms need to keep their type themes, but the leaders don't necessarily need to have monotype teams. Throw in one pokemon of a different type to deal with pokemon that can normally wall the rest of the team. (such as an electric gym leader using a water type to deal with n00bs that think they can wall him with a ground-type, and possibly set up a rain dance/thunder combo or something).

I think we need a Dark-type gym pretty badly, and bug-type, poison-type, ground-type, and dragon-type gyms need to be brought back. :P

First off I think the gym leaders should incorporate more of a strategy than mindlessly abusing the same type. Like Timbjerr said, throw in one of another time.

I think we need another steel-type gym with something other than Steelix abuse, but that's unlikely. :(
    I like your ideas. I agree with you on the type gyms that should be included. I'd also like a Fire Type gym with a red haired female as the gym leader. With the fire type gym, the Pokemon can have electric/grass moves to counteract against water/ground Pokemon. For example, she can use a Vulpix/Ninetales with Energy Ball, Dark Pulse, Safeguard, and Flamethrower.

I'd also like the return of rematches.

Actually, in Diamond/Pearl Candice and Volkner did something like that before their team got overhauled in Platinum. Candice had a Medicham because it can learn Ice Punch and Volkner had both Ambipom and Octillery because they learned a couple electric attacks. But yeah, maybe something with a bit more tact like you guys mentioned could be something interesting to spice things up.

And Sweet Smoochum, there's already a Fire Type gym with a red haired female: Flannery from the R/S/E games. https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Flannery. Of course, she's pretty easy to beat. :x

Ayselipera

I think just about everyone has probably already said this before me, but I'm guessing we'll finally see the introduction of a dark type gym. Am I jumping for joy? No not really, I mean it will be nice to finally see a dark gym, but I'm not overly excited for it. I am hoping it will house Pokemon like Umbreon and Houndour, not just all the newer dark types.

The one thing I will say though is that I really hope the first gym is not a rock type gym. In fact I would like it if there wasn't even a rock gym leader throughout the whole game. Brock was nostalgic, Roxanne was forgettable, and Roark is annoying. I don't need another rock gym leader to stare at especially if they end up being the first gym leader.

Years
    Actually, in Diamond/Pearl Candice and Volkner did something like that before their team got overhauled in Platinum. Candice had a Medicham because it can learn Ice Punch and Volkner had both Ambipom and Octillery because they learned a couple electric attacks. But yeah, maybe something with a bit more tact like you guys mentioned could be something interesting to spice things up.

And Sweet Smoochum, there's already a Fire Type gym with a red haired female: Flannery from the R/S/E games. https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Flannery. Of course, she's pretty easy to beat. :x

I know about Flannery, but why can't there be another red haired female fire type gym leader with better Pokemon? She could have an evolution of the fire pig starter or something. I pretty much don't care about the type as long as there's a red haired gym leader (or E4 member or champ) in this game that looks a little bit like me. XD

Bay

Years
    I think just about everyone has probably already said this before me, but I'm guessing we'll finally see the introduction of a dark type gym. Am I jumping for joy? No not really, I mean it will be nice to finally see a dark gym, but I'm not overly excited for it. I am hoping it will house Pokemon like Umbreon and Houndour, not just all the newer dark types.

The one thing I will say though is that I really hope the first gym is not a rock type gym. In fact I would like it if there wasn't even a rock gym leader throughout the whole game. Brock was nostalgic, Roxanne was forgettable, and Roark is annoying. I don't need another rock gym leader to stare at especially if they end up being the first gym leader.
    Hm, I wouldn't mind too much if only the newer dark types are housed if they're good. For sure Zorua/Zoroark will be used. Depends maybe where the dark gym will be placed, so it could be a chance some of the older dark types will come into play. I"m hoping Absol might be used in the gym. XD *gets shot for being an Absol fan*

Years
    If they're going to have gyms and badges I want there to be new ways to challenge them and get them thar badges.

I'd like to see you team up with a gym leader to battle off some foes and save the day. They can give you a badge for that rather than for beating them in a battle. Of course it's not as much fun if you can't battle them so they can work that into the story as a fun battle between friends once the crisis is averted. I want to see the gym leaders integrated heavily into the story as friends of the characters, relatives, or even enemies/rivals/opponents/whatever.

Ayselipera

Hm, I wouldn't mind too much if only the newer dark types are housed if they're good. For sure Zorua/Zoroark will be used. Depends maybe where the dark gym will be placed, so it could be a chance some of the older dark types will come into play. I"m hoping Absol might be used in the gym. XD *gets shot for being an Absol fan*

Well don't get me wrong I'm not totally against seeing new and newer dark types in a dark type gym, I just don't want the older dark types to be ignored. Since they never really got their debut to begin with. Unless you want to count Karen of the Johto Elite Four, but still.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    If we do get a Dark-type gym I can see Zoroark being the signature Pokemon (like Lucario was).

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    The gyms shouldn't be based on type it should be based on strategy,like A Trick Room Gyms with Slow pokemon for the trainers and the Leader has A bunch of pokemon who utilizes Trick Room Well.(then gives out Trick Room)Or maybe a Baton Pass team.Trainers uses Stat boosting move and the leader uses a chain Baton Pass team and gives out Swords Dance as the TM

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    I'd like to see Bug get a bit more respect too. Bugsy's Scyther wasn't the worst, but they could still go one up with Scizor or Vespiquen or any new bug types in Gen V.

cobraman228

My friends are my power.
    Years
    All I want is

- No gym buildings, instead you go through a cave or a forest or an ocean to find not a gym leader, but a "Badge Bearer", a person who gives you a badge once you defeat them.

-No ROCK TYPE, they're too easy

-Dark Type all the way

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    I would like to see the puzzles kept in these games, I enjoyed the puzzles in all the generation games, so why not keep the tradition running?

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
    they seriously need to make a dark type gym
    good team
    zoroark
    absol
    spritomb
    ?????
    5th gen dark type

The gyms shouldn't be based on type it should be based on strategy,like A Trick Room Gyms with Slow pokemon for the trainers and the Leader has A bunch of pokemon who utilizes Trick Room Well.(then gives out Trick Room)Or maybe a Baton Pass team.Trainers uses Stat boosting move and the leader uses a chain Baton Pass team and gives out Swords Dance as the TM

well they did use stat boosting moves in rse in norman's gym

Last edited:

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    Well I do believe that gym leaders are supposed to protect their cities, I just want them to play a major role in the story (besides just defeating them)

chaos11011

[untitled]
    Years
    • Age 27
    • MA
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    they seriously need to make a dark type gym
    good team
    zoroark
    absol
    spritomb
    ?????
    5th gen dark type

well they did use stat boosting moves in rse in norman's gym
    Yes but it was a normal based gym,Norman didn't set up on his opponents

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I think we need a Dark-type gym pretty badly, and bug-type, poison-type, ground-type, and dragon-type gyms need to be brought back. :P
    ^ this right here ^

Maybe something like this:

• Bug
    • Normal
    • Ground
    • Poison
    • Dark
    • Dragon
    • Fire
    • Ice

Maybe a different order. The ones bolded are the ones Timbjerr said and also the ones that we do actually need brought back. The other three are possible ones that I would like to see put in there. Maybe there could be a Steel-type gym in the game, too?

Bay

Years
    I know about Flannery, but why can't there be another red haired female fire type gym leader with better Pokemon? She could have an evolution of the fire pig starter or something. I pretty much don't care about the type as long as there's a red haired gym leader (or E4 member or champ) in this game that looks a little bit like me. XD
    Heh, already mentioned Flannery is quite easy. XD

Well don't get me wrong I'm not totally against seeing new and newer dark types in a dark type gym, I just don't want the older dark types to be ignored. Since they never really got their debut to begin with. Unless you want to count Karen of the Johto Elite Four, but still.
    Yeah, I get what you're saying. Maybe they'll mix in second and third gen dark types, though I see the third gen ones will be used more because the second gen dark types have appeared quite a bit in Platinum (though not anyone being a Dark type trainer).

If they're going to have gyms and badges I want there to be new ways to challenge them and get them thar badges.

I'd like to see you team up with a gym leader to battle off some foes and save the day. They can give you a badge for that rather than for beating them in a battle. Of course it's not as much fun if you can't battle them so they can work that into the story as a fun battle between friends once the crisis is averted. I want to see the gym leaders integrated heavily into the story as friends of the characters, relatives, or even enemies/rivals/opponents/whatever.
    Hm, I quite like the idea of seeing more gym leaders being integrated heavily into the storyline one way or another. Now, I say more because there are a few instances where they have been integrated like Giovanni your enemy actually, Clair won't give you the badge until you get through the Dragon's Den, and Norman your father (although that isn't expanded that much). However, more than likely you'll still have to battle them for a badge, sad to say. D:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back