• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Likes and Dislikes of Gen V Pokémon

Duosion

Duo
Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2011
    Opinions on the Gen V water starter line.

I think this belongs here...lulz.
    I am just really disappointed with Samurott, Dewott was way cooler than Samurott. I think overall the pokemon is very unusual looking, what is it? (Yes, I know its a pokemon!XD) A weird bulky four legged otter thingy? I thought a cooler evolution for the "ott" family might have been better. Like, a better looking Dewott. Taller, more shell-thingys.
    Anyway what are your thoughts on Samurott? (or the evolution line.)
    And that was just my opinion on Samurott. Mhhmmm.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • To tell ya the truth, This generation was my least favorite as far as starters go (favorite as far as mostly everything else goes lol)

I think it's a pretty cool Pokémon, but I don't necessarily like the sprite. Apparently it can take its horn off and use it as a sward, and I think it would be nice if they showed that. Especially with moving sprites, you'd think they'd take advantage of that.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I thought the transformation from Dewott to Samurott was more Digimon-esque, to be honest. Kinda like whats-its-face digivolving into Garurumon.

Years
  • Duosion, I think Samurott is awesome and very well designed.

Have you heard of Marriland? He's that guy whose website is famous for in-depth Pokemon game walkthroughs.

If you watch one of his Pokemon White Adventure videos, in the episode "Celestial Tower (Part 1)" when his Dewott (nicknamed "Marriland") evolves into Samurott, he remembers that moment when he played Black in Japanese and when the same evolutionary event happened, he said "What the heck! Where's my cute little Dewott?" but he said it wasn't a "total shock" to him cos he'd already seen pictures of Samurott. It's really hilarious too.

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
  • I think Samurott is Excellent! Samurai Otter, what is more awesome than that! Samurai Pizza cat maybe? lol, I love his cry also, he spends quite alot of time heading up my Pokemon Black team

Zeus

Years
  • I adored Samurott as much as Dewott and it was hard for me to pick between the two. Personally I started off hating all the gen V starter evolutions but they grew on me very quickly. Oshawott in particular I really disliked before but now he's one of my favorite starters. :3

Houndoomed

Battle Master
    Years
  • I think that Samurott and Emboar are works of Art, especially Emboar, Serperior I can take or leave, but I have never been partial to Grass types with the exception of Torterra who is the BOSS!

Zeus

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think this belongs here...lulz.
    I am just really disappointed with Samurott, Dewott was way cooler than Samurott. I think overall the pokemon is very unusual looking, what is it? (Yes, I know its a pokemon!XD) A weird bulky four legged otter thingy? I thought a cooler evolution for the "ott" family might have been better. Like, a better looking Dewott. Taller, more shell-thingys.
    Anyway what are your thoughts on Samurott? (or the evolution line.)
    And that was just my opinion on Samurott. Mhhmmm.

Sorry but we don't allow threads on just one starter line due to lack of discussion basically and the fact then we'd get people making threads on the other lines, etc. :( You're free to make a general thread on starters, though! (Our last one died). But for now, moving to likes/dislikes :3

Sector

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Oct 10, 2016
    A I'd say about 80, little over half, of the designs they seemed to try a little to hard on the Pokemon. Don't feel them the same as the first four generations, but hey, still Pokemon right? The Cinccino would probably be my favorite design, Most beautiful of all the Generation 5 Pokemon :)

Years
  • OH MY GOD ALL OF THE MONKEYS! Seriously, the first stage are alright....not great, not dimensional warping hideousness. But the next evolution...I needed to tear out my own eyeballs because I couldn't live with the horror. They are so hideous. Especially Simipour. And especially Simisear. Holy, Arceus.

Magica

Miss Magic
    Years
  • Loves:
    Snivy line, Liepard, Gigalith, Scolipede, Whimsicott, Lilligant, Scrafty, Cofagrigus, Jellicent, Eelektross, Elgyem line, Litwik line, Meinshao, Golurk, Bisharp, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Virizion, Zekrom, Reshiram

Hates:
    Watchog, Pansage+Simisage, Entire Timburr line, Sawk and Throh, Foongus and Amoongus, Cubchoo, Druddigon, the Djinn Legendaries

Really just tolerate the rest, though some more than others. Leavanny, Reuniclus, Mandibuzz, and Braviary are also pretty cool. I somewhat like the terriers, and the water and fire monkeys are somewhat charming in their own way. Stunfisk and Tympole...they are smooth and they know it.

Also people need to stop projecting their dislike, just because you hate the designs doesn't mean its THE WORST GEN EVER!!!!111

I really like Volcarona. It is designed perfectly and it has lots of references. The story behind it(replacement of Sun) is also very good. What amazes me is her beeorchid-like design, Hathor-like horns and sunspots on wings. They thought it so well. Her cry is very similar to Mothra's cry and it's another reference that makes her epic.

I named my Volcarona Seraphi, because she has the 6 wings like the fiery seraphim angels. (Plus those familiar with Digimon might see the resemblance to a similarly named monster). Volcarona is one of the best Pokemon, period.

OH MY GOD ALL OF THE MONKEYS! Seriously, the first stage are alright....not great, not dimensional warping hideousness. But the next evolution...I needed to tear out my own eyeballs because I couldn't live with the horror. They are so hideous. Especially Simipour. And especially Simisear. Holy, Arceus.
    Opinions. Imo Simisage is the fugliest and I want it to burn in fire and ice. Though I agree they're all awkward and could be better.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
  • I never disliked the pokemon. i don't judge them by looks, only by stats... But I liked Druddigon's design from the start. when I looked it up, i liked the design and it's ability gave it a good reason to have. it may be a slow pokemon but it is very harmful to the touch if it has Rough Skin and is holding the Rocky Helmet. i was hoping to make it my first Dragon pokemon to capture and it came true when i encountered it at the tower past Icirrus City.

Castgurl

The Cuban Artist ~
    Years
  • I think Braviary has a very cool design, I love how american it is, the Bald Eagle and colour scheme really shows it.

At first I didn't quite like Tympole, put I think it's grown on me, the derpy face is adorable.

Foogus' designs seem a little meh, I like the fact that it does show some more basis onto the poké ball design but yeah, still meh.

I absolutely loved how they designed Braviery; it has a bit of an American and Indian mix into the design. There's a few that I really liked: Litwick and its evolutions are some of my favorites. What I also like is how they made some of the looks and design appear to be a particular elemental type, but are actually another type or a combination of two types. (Example: Rhydon - Rocky, bulky pounds of stone with a big drill; okay yeah, it's toootally a rock type.
    Tynamo: Ohh another Lanturn clone (captures it) just an electric type...) Another one that I had this experience with is Golett; Very odd but interesting combination. I was expecting maybe a Ghost/Dark or just pure Ghost for this one. Some of them impressed me when it came to looks and overall design while others were...yeah.

The one I dislike the most: The Afro Tauros. I DO NOT care what anyone thinks lol!
    Bouffalant: Tauros with an Afro lol -.-
    I really liked how they designed Hydreigon. It somewhat copies Dodrio's concept design (But it's not like they used it in every single gen lol.)
    I'm curious to see what the next gen pokemon will be like. Who knows, they might dish out some fourth or even fifth evolutions for some of the characters rofl. :p

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
  • In my opinion, Black and White designs were quite amazing. The only ones I seem to get a problem with was Bouffalant, which is similar to Tauros in many ways, and the Stunfisk. They are powerful compared to the other Generations, and I love most of their color scheme. It's better than generation 4, which took me over a year to get used to.

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
  • When I barely saw them I was disgusted with some such as the Vanillite and Garbodor lines, but I opened a place in my heart for them. They reminded me of some "Pokemon" from the infamous Pokemon Quartz hack.

I really like all of the designs to be honest. Some fresh, new ideas were bound to work.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    OH MY GOD ALL OF THE MONKEYS! Seriously, the first stage are alright....not great, not dimensional warping hideousness. But the next evolution...I needed to tear out my own eyeballs because I couldn't live with the horror. They are so hideous. Especially Simipour. And especially Simisear. Holy, Arceus.

Must be good at touch typing now :x

I think they all make no sense at all when together. Consider that Simipour is designed to look like a female and you can find a male one, whereas the other two are males, and Panpour looks like a male... idgi... :( Never was a fan of those three.

Magikarp Queen

Magikarp Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2012
    A lot of people hate Garbador, I honestly can't bring myself to hate any pokemon. Although I must admit I love this gen much better than the last one, pokemon-wise. I thought Team Galactic was cool but the designs were bleh (though we're not here to talk about 4th gen).

Overall, I love N and a lot of the new pokemon. Originally I thought I would end up with Tepig, but then I saw Samurrott and I instantly changed my mind. Others complain that the pokemon are too digimon-ish, but I like digimon so it's cool with me.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I Love a Lot of the Gen5 pokemon. There is only a few that I truly hate and wish did not happen.

Scolipede
    Leavany (whole family)
    Joltik
    Musharna
    Basculin
    Darmanitan
    Dwebble
    Sigilyph
    Zoroark
    Ducklet
    Mienshou - the kung-fu cat!!
    Golurk - The Iron Giant!!
    Roggenrolla - a much needed pure Rock type
    Klink - Much needed pure steel type
    Purlion and Yoterri families -- Best domestic cat and dog pokemon EVER!!

Dissapointing, but still good
    Heatmor - sould be a steel type - he is a CAR for crying out loud!!!!
    Tepig - commits the gravest sin of a fire type - he is slow. Fire = fast.
    Tepig - 3 fire/fight in a row is just a bad idea no matter how good it is.
    Osawott - Final Evolution. It needs a new sprite that proves it is Bipedal, becase walking on two legs is kind or a requirment of all Samurai.

Hate
    Seismitoad - the other two are fine, but the final form is so stupid.
    Sawk, Throw - Bad names, bad image, bad, bad, bad,
    Timber (whole family) they look aweful - great game design, bad image/names
    The Djinii Legendaries - Not only do they look bad, they are the same image 3 times. How is that acceptable for Pokemon?? Higher standards expcted. Also, they are SUPER Japanese considering this is 'inspired' by america to some small degree.

Super Love
    Braviary - Where does he live, an Aviery. Who lives there, Braviary. Home of The Brave!!!! Red, White, Blue, Eagle!!!! Cleaver names are respected here.
    Garbador - Named it after my brother, he got a kick out of that. "YOU'RE GARBAGE!!"

Last edited:
    Years
  • One particular Pokemon that I found totally ugly & insulting to the Pokemon World is WOOBAT and its evolution.

It's just horrible and really doesn't fit in with the rest, imo...

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
  • I don't really like Emboar. It just looks silly to me

There are some "mehs" such as the ones that Snowpoint said, but for the most part I love everyone

Back