• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Loki: Signature Making Class Level III

evilcheese

God I am so freakin lazy
    Years
    I think the motion blur messed up the "vector" style since I don't know how to blend in vector banners.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    evilcheese: I agree with you on the motion blur thing. Maybe at the moment, don't try blending at all, and once we've got the vector part fleshed out, we'll try blending then? xD

Hazuki

delenda est.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    Assignement 1

I hope I did it right. I'll do assignment 2 soon.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Hazuki: Oh that is so much better. ;3; I think the variation in color on Minato is great, and you did well incorporating different colors. Definitely much better on the eyes!

Next time though, I think you should pay attention to your warm and cold colors. While yellow is supposed to be a warm color I think it looks pretty cold when it's coupled with green and blue. So to me, it looks like the red comes out of nowhere. ^^; A brush pattern like dots or lines can really make plain vector brushes look cool, so the next time you make a vector banner, if there is a next time~ then maybe try adding a pattern overlay on your vector brushes. Gradients are a great touch as well. ^^ So my suggestions are to add just more things to make the banner pop and stand out!

The text looks pretty good, but maybe you could add a vector or just a plain old line underneath it so it 'belongs', rather than just floats out of nowhere. xD

Assignment 1 = B, easily bumped up to an A with a few additions~

Hazuki

delenda est.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    Alright, I'll keep that in mind. ^^

Assignment 2

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Note: I want you to give me the link to the original stock with your assignment, please and thank you. If you do not provide me with the original stock link, your grade will be taken down one notch.

:3

Just before grading starts next week. <3

Rena

i WILL save this patient!
    Years
    I am VERY SORRY for not turning in my two banners D=. I've been very busy this week and only managed to squeeze in some photoshop time today :[. I hope Loki ish forgiving today.

Assignment 0:

I believe this is my best because: I got 4 votes for SOTW xD. Also, it is kind of a different style. Plus, the render was very very pretty and looked even better with smudging. I took the SOTW text off because I'm not good at text at ALL :/.

Assignment 1:

I'm not very good at vector D=.

Favourite Style: Umm, Smudgy-vector style xD?
    Most interesting in learning: Text and your 1337-vector-skillz.

EDITT: Stocks? Layers? OhmygoshYESH 8D.

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    Ack, a day late. Sorry Loki. I finished this banner last week, but I didn't know if it was good or bad.

Assignment 1

I'll work on the other assignment at a later time.

Last edited:

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    munna: Anything interesting, huh? xDD Well, we'll see. Anyway, you did alright on the first assignment, but I just want you to keep in mind that I'm teaching more like, manipulation, than pentooling and art. xD; You're probably a notch up ahead of me, so I'll apologize beforehand if I seem like a crapped out excuse for a teacher.

Anyway, while I wouldn't say that's your best banner, the concept is good! The text is good and that's really all I can say about it. xD I know you've got a billion really great banners though, because I remember that before I made graphics, whenever I'd come to request a banner, I'd be scanning for 'munna' or 'sachi' and I'd die of joy whenever I saw that you had a shop open. So really. xD (I remember you did a first-come-first-serve thing and I was too late. I swear I sat at that thread for an hour, making sure there REALLY weren't any open slots. *shot'd*) 99.99% sure it was you. :>

Assignment 0 = A

As for Assignment 1, this is exactly what I mean by I have no idea what to say, since it looks more like art than a banner to me. xD It's okay that you used the render colors in the back, because you incorporated them well and didn't turn it into a hide-and-seek game. The background is really cool, but before I continue grading it, I must ask: Was everything pentooled? O_o!
    I'm out of practise so… I lick…
    Also I've never seen you requesting from me Oo; … Holy Cow Batman… your the A2A person xD;
    and if you are talking about this munnas first 5 posts requests.. then you were lucky you didn't… I only liked Chikara's one xD
    Also didn't you click on the banner? xD… links to the Linkin Park Banner xD
    Hide and seek is good though xD
    None of it was pentooled. I got me my image… live traced it… which converts it to vector shapes and used different tools to manipulate the copied render.
    These guys…

Hurrah for Illustrator an hurrah for Pocoyo!

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
    Ok, finally finished my assignments A0 and A1...er, well, I'm re-submitting them, anyways.

I made another vector banner. It took me about 5-6 hours to finish it (non-stop) and I am veryproud of it. Yes, it looks kind of simple, but isn't that one of the properties of vector banners; simple? Anywaysm here it is:

Banner:

This is also probably my best banner too, though I haven't posted it in the GRT to see what other people think of it.

So, there it is =]
    Now I guess I'll get to work on assignment A2.

Oh yes, and I'm still interested in learning depth. I'm also getting more and more into smudge-style banners, so that would be good too.

Last edited:

Pikabloo

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2010
    Oh, I was actually happy when you said that I shouldn't use a vectored focal xD I dreaded having to vector out that Sora image >.>

I don't know if I actually did improve it, but:

Yeah, there's still a depth issue, but I don't know how else to fix it up :\

Assignment 2.
    Hammer time! -shot'd- I'm posting it up now so I might stop fidgeting with it all the time, so that I might actually be able to do some work >.>

Two versions, because I couldn't decide, if that's alright. There's only one difference with them anyway.

It's different to what I usually do, which is good. And I don't even know if it counts as photo manipulation >.>

Original stock, and this for the floating rocks.

Last edited:

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    A2.
    Oh right the contrast and brightness might be low or high… because it's best viewed on a mac =P
    Eh… it's not that great at all lol…but prefer v1.

Stocks used:

1 2 3 4 5

^ lol kinda looks like the edits under my profile huh? xD

Last edited:

Twinx

s o m e t h i n g M O R E
    Years
    Assignment 2:
    I was procastinating this... but since almost everyone presented there's, I got motivated ;D
    I challenged myself to a non-anime banner.. I'm quite happy with it.

Original

Note: The text is the show's official logo.. not my creation.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Yes! It's early! Why? Because I'm gone tomorrow for 90% of the day. |D

munna: I haven't forgotten you! ;< I promise! I'm just setting up my 'Saturday' system.

Anyway, I like the way you did assignment one- the depth is definitely there, and the composition is good! It's a sweet picture, and somehow makes me crave ice cream, so please hold on your comments while I go retrieve some. *SHOT'd* Anyway, it's different from what you usually, see, so… I find it hard to have anything to say other than: You rocked it. :3

Assignment 1: A

Really? I adored the banner you made for Acendo. xDD OMFG A2A! Anime2Anime, right? –gah we're getting off track- Ahh, the only username I remember is Omega, but I remember everyone else was also great fun. |D Especially the admin. Forgot his name though. Okay! Dx Back on topic.

Anyway, you definitely rocked Assignment 2 as well! I love the text, especially since it's on both sides- helps the balance and was pulled off nicely. The stocks were combined wonderfully, and I must say that number 4 is very familiar to me. –Ender! *shot'd*- Version one is definitely better in my eyes, as it seems less empty. I'm not sure what to say about the random yellow light on the right of the banner though, because even though it was apart of the original stock, it just seems out of place, since the other light is hidden behind all the –very cool- effects. Replacing it with something else, or at least dimming it down a bit so that it doesn't detract from your very well defined focal is probably a good idea. One of those bolt-lightning-things also comes pretty close to his eyes. I would suggest spacing it away from his face a little more? It appears pixellated over the darker bits, and it also sticks out a bit much. You pulled off the combination of stocks perfectly though, way better than the piece I did. which is what this whole thing was based off of, so really.

Assignment 2: A

A for Again.

Hazuki: It's good! Much better than your go at the vector banners! However, you'll want to start paying attention to your colors, like evilcheese. The colors you chose ended up being extremely contrasting about her hair and face, and it's very painful. xD; It also gave the main render that sort of pixelly quality, see it? No bueno, no bueno. That said, your light textures also don't really fit either. Actually, I can't even tell if it's a pattern or a light texture. xDD Either way, they're definitely not adding to the quality, and kind of detract from the flow. They don't really look like they belong in the banner. Probably because they're too small, IMO. Also, you didn't really do much to bring the focus to the render's face. This is particularly important in this banner, because the stock is so detailed, and you've got a strangely… positioned, focus. Maybe you could try burning the edges, or just making everything but the render a little darker. Because we're finding Waldo here, between all the high-contrasting colors. :<

Also, I was hoping you would use an actual… other picture. xD Like, a different stock or something. I do want to see the changes on this one, so if you could show that to me sometime, I would greatly appreciate it, and I'll bump your assignment grade up a notch as well~

Assignment 2: B

Evilcheese: Good, good! You fixed it! Indeed, it does look much better, even though you didn't reposition the text. The whole thing looks much better, and though it's not as good as it could be, I'm glad you took the time to make it better!

Assignment 1: A

I'm personally not a fan of super thick black borders on all sides. The super thick works only on filmstrip borders, but we'll disregard that, since it's not really all that degrading. Anyway, I want to let you know now: This is officially my #1 favorite banner of yours, and heaven forbid, it features my most dreaded graphic subject, Pokemon. Kudos. :3 The lighting is a bit off if you look at his shadows, but it's a minor detail- and a few of the stocks you put on top seem to make weird lines on Infernape's face, so if you really want to get down into the little details, I would suggest erasing over his face or something. The light is good! And the darker sides is excellent, makes the light so real. I think you should've put your text under some of your textures or whatever, so that the text could also look a little fiery. I remember you once told me that you like solid color text, but I'll tell you now, solid colored text = some person adding the text with MS Paint. xD

If you can make your text pretty and spiffy, then it looks much better in composition with the banner.

In general though, the awesomeness of this banner compared to the last one brought a smile to my face when I first saw it. :D

Miki-chan: Yes, I agree, I loved this banner of yours. :D The colors are amazing and so is the flow! It's just pretty in general. :3

Anyway, assignment 1! It's good. Don't say you're not good at it, it's very good! I can't say I really like the composition of colors, but eh, they match well enough, there's just no excitement in variation, like the one you showed me for A0, you know? But that's not as bad as what I really want to say. Texture of the render compared to the background is really really important, and your render looks like it was colored using Gaussian blur, burn, dodge, and other tools that make a really shiny… blurry look! But your foreground and background are all pretty sharp, and the whole thing just sort of clashes with the render. I guess you could say, I would love the banner- if the render was either not there, or different. xD;

The essential vector points were covered though, so all in all, I like what you did with the vector brushes. ^^

Assignment 0: A
    Assignement 1: A

Kyon.: I'm sorry to say this, but I really don't think you're ready for this class yet. x_o I'll tell you my thoughts on the two assignments, and then I suggest you try signing up for Hazuki, or evilcheese's class. There are a lot of things to work on before taking the leap over here.

Assignment 1, well, I love bright colors. I absolutely adore them. But they're not applied well in this particular banner. They seem very random, and the brushing over on the render seems totally out of place- the render itself seems too simple for such a busy banner. It's very cool how you made the foreground nice and sharp and blurred the back, and I think you executed that effect very well. However, just combining the whole piece, it's just very harsh on the eyes. The lighting is strange, and I see that you did the black soft brushing trick to help make it more believable, but.. I think a burn would've helped, instead of a black soft brush. You should pay attention to how the darkness gradually turns into complete black, because the way it's done in this banner is too abrupt- it's unnatural.

And the text. <_< I wouldn't tell you to put it anywhere else, I'd tell you to just do away with it. The font doesn't match at all, and the placement is totally random.

I would probably give this a D, because even though you've got your vectors there, it was just not executed well, and the banner itself was just not composed well. :<

Assignment 2, same problem as Hazuki: Ouch on the colors. xD The gridlines are okay. They fit the shininess of the banner, but their opacity needs to go down, down, dooown. As does whatever is making everything so bright and contrasted. xD; The white shinies on the left are good! I'll assume that the light is coming from the lower left, but everything is so bright I can't even tell. xD; The lack of border was a good call, that's a plus. But when everything is so contrasted that the colors of her eyes, the lines on her arm, hair and face get pixellated that means you've gone a little over the top.

It's not a bad banner, but it's also very empty and plain, and it's just not…. Up to par. :<

This one would be getting a B, or a C, depending. It's just not ready for level 3 yet. :/

If you join an intermediate class, and the teacher recommends you to rejoin, please feel free, but in the meantime, you'll have to take a few steps back.

Motsuko Live: Oh, I spy a rainbow! cheater, trying to win my bias, are you? D:! However, I detest the rainbow gradient. xDD While I certainly liked the other version I saw somewhere else better, this isn't too different. The arrows that go around her are awesome. Its gives a great sense of depth, and while my only beef with them would be that their tips around rounded while the black arrows in the back are sharp, They're still very cool. <3 The lighting is cool, but I'm kind of disappointed that the shiny-light stops so abruptly. :< Text is awesome. Text is excellent. Great positioning. It just kind of throws things off balance a little. But hey, it's not like I'm starting to tilt my head towards the right, so it's not terrible. Just a little detail. The background is good, and while your colors really only come from your arrows, it was composed well, and everything flows great.

I love it. ;D

Shiranui: Improvements are awesome. >D I absolutely adore the lighting. I think the depth is alright now though, you just gotta kind of… look at it for awhile. xD

Anyway, definitely like the one without the white-brush(?), because the outer glow on it is a weird gray-white, instead of the warm yellowish-white of the rest of the banner, ya? Well, the photo manipulation part is perfect; This is exactly what was I looking for. The lighting is awesome, and whatever it was that you added on the right and left on the low opacity- It has the most awesome effect ever. |D I really do love this banner, and this would be a wonderful example of why this teacher-student thing should really be flopped the other way around. xDD

The floating rocks are as awesome as Gray. |D

Akari: The text! It's amazing! :O I love the effects~ And the blurriness isn't that bad, just makes it look more dynamic. Which is good. |D

But.

You're not paying attention to your colors! D:< Look, it's all blue and white and black! Everything is monochromatic, and I've already told you to make some variation both in A0 and A1, add some pop! Teacher is cranky that Akari isn't improving on this aspect. ;; Teacher says fix it! Dx

And Teacher refuses to say anything else about the banner until you add some more colors so that Teacher doesn't have to go looking for a blue princeWaldo amongst a blue crowd.

DarkChild: OMFG IS THAT BRITNEY SPEARS- WITH HAIR?!?! *shot'd* Okay sorry, just had to put that out there. Disappointed with the colors, definitely, but that may just be because I abhor that magenta-purple-ish color. xD; The whole thing is good! You did well with the photomanipulation; Definitely not the same as before!

Uh, but I really hate how bright it is. xD If that's an outer glow on the text, and I'm thinkin' it is, you pulled it off well, and I suppose I'll allow it to bypass the 'no outer glow' rule in this classroom. The text does throw it off balance a tiny bit though, I would probably credit that to its size...? Brushing is good, great. Border is less than desireable in as bright as banner as this. It contrasts a lot, so I would generally suggest trying to go borderless when you've got super-bright banners. xD;

The only bad thing about it is that... in general, it's very blinding. ^^

Assignment 2: B, if you could crank down the brightness and keep it pretty, we'll knock that up to an A. ;D

Last edited:

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    Kyon.: I'm sorry to say this, but I really don't think you're ready for this class yet. x_o I'll tell you my thoughts on the two assignments, and then I suggest you try signing up for Hazuki, or evilcheese's class. There are a lot of things to work on before taking the leap over here.

Assignment 1, well, I love bright colors. I absolutely adore them. But they're not applied well in this particular banner. They seem very random, and the brushing over on the render seems totally out of place- the render itself seems too simple for such a busy banner. It's very cool how you made the foreground nice and sharp and blurred the back, and I think you executed that effect very well. However, just combining the whole piece, it's just very harsh on the eyes. The lighting is strange, and I see that you did the black soft brushing trick to help make it more believable, but.. I think a burn would've helped, instead of a black soft brush. You should pay attention to how the darkness gradually turns into complete black, because the way it's done in this banner is too abrupt- it's unnatural.

And the text. <_< I wouldn't tell you to put it anywhere else, I'd tell you to just do away with it. The font doesn't match at all, and the placement is totally random.

I would probably give this a D, because even though you've got your vectors there, it was just not executed well, and the banner itself was just not composed well. :<

Assignment 2, same problem as Hazuki: Ouch on the colors. xD The gridlines are okay. They fit the shininess of the banner, but their opacity needs to go down, down, dooown. As does whatever is making everything so bright and contrasted. xD; The white shinies on the left are good! I'll assume that the light is coming from the lower left, but everything is so bright I can't even tell. xD; The lack of border was a good call, that's a plus. But when everything is so contrasted that the colors of her eyes, the lines on her arm, hair and face get pixellated that means you've gone a little over the top.

It's not a bad banner, but it's also very empty and plain, and it's just not…. Up to par. :<

This one would be getting a B, or a C, depending. It's just not ready for level 3 yet. :/

If you join an intermediate class, and the teacher recommends you to rejoin, please feel free, but in the meantime, you'll have to take a few steps back.

Thanks for even considering me, Loki. XD I'm surprised I got a half decent grade. XD I'll take your advice and go back to the intermediate level. Thanks for your time. ^^ Feel free to drop me out of the class for people who actually need it.

Last edited:
    Back