• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

London 2012 Olympics Thread - 27/7/12 - 12/8/12

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years

I made this thread for the PokeCommunity to discuss the Summer Olympics this year.

What teams are do supporting in which sports?
    Are there any particular athletes you want to see win Gold?
    Which country do you think will get the most medals?

Main Website: https://www.london2012.com/
    Schedule/Results: https://www.london2012.com/schedule-and-results/
    News: https://www.london2012.com/news/
    Photos: https://www.london2012.com/photos/

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
    Years
    Me coming from Australia obviously gonna follow Australia, I actually watch all the sports if I can.

I don't actually play favourites to who wins gold they are a team and I support them as a team.

Umm I think USA or Germany gonna get the most Gold they have been strong in current games but it was always close.

Years
    I intend to watch me some volleyball. In particular I want to follow Japan's women's team since I got to see some of their games against teams that were all a foot taller than they were and they still put up a great fight.

Gymnastics are always fun, too, so I'll try to catch some of those events.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    TOM DALEY IN EVERYTHING

To be honest the only events I normally watch are the swimming, diving and gymnastics. However, this year I might not even watch those.

Going to get the opening ceremony a go and hope it's not too horribly cliché.

Years
    I'm planning to watch the basketball, football and tennis events and then I'll just catch whatever else is on.

I hope Phillips Idowu wins a gold purely because he has the coolest name ever and has red hair, you can't go wrong there.

I don't even hope GB win the overall thing because the media would go crazy. I think US or China will win.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    I'm from the USA, so obviously I'll support the United States.

Looking forward to watching soccer/football, volleyball, and gymnastics. My favorites. =D

As for who'll get the most golds... no favoritism involved, but I really think the USA will.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Less than four hours until the opening ceremony starts! It's certainly not going to be as impressive as Beijing's 4 years ago, and apparently the theme is 'the British countryside', so don't be surprised if a load of windfarms manage to find their way into the Olympic Stadium. Still, I'll be watching on TV along with the other billion people predicted to do so. Fun times! :D

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Less than four hours until the opening ceremony starts! It's certainly not going to be as impressive as Beijing's 4 years ago, and apparently the theme is 'the British countryside', so don't be surprised if a load of windfarms manage to find their way into the Olympic Stadium. Still, I'll be watching on TV along with the other billion people predicted to do so. Fun times! :D

According to people I know who got to go to the Rehearsals it's actually amazing - and they didn't even get the fireworks! There is a lot of hype around it, and I've been fairly pessimistic the last few weeks, but I think it might actually turn out pretty awesome.

Years
    Well this is a less than promising start to the opening ceremony, it's absolutely awful.

Anyway the 100m could be interesting when it rolls around with claims that Bolt is out of form among other things.

Years
    I have actually really enjoyed it so far; I think we have done well with the opening ceremony... compared to what I thought we would! XD​

Matthew

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2015
    I have actually really enjoyed it so far; I think we have done well with the opening ceremony... compared to what I thought we would! XD​

Agreed. It was spectacular.

I only watched a couple of football games; Team GB disappointed. It's not like I expected anything from them, but they could have performed better against Senegal.

Years
    I only watched a couple of football games; Team GB disappointed. It's not like I expected anything from them, but they could have performed better against Senegal.

The upsetting part of drawing that match (Team GB) was that their goal came in the last 5 minutes from our corner, when we pushed up both our centre backs... Why do we need to go all out attacking on a corner, when we are winning? The tactics didn't make sense there.

Best result, so far, was watching Japan beat Spain! :D​

Matthew

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2015
    Exactly! To be honest, I don't quite fancy the Stuart Pearce. I mean Y U NO put David Beckham? I was incredibly disappointed. Why would be favor Bellamy (although he scored lol) over him? I was shocked there.

I saw that! The headline "Tiki take that! Japan defeat Spain" made my day, lol.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I think the only thing that the organisers got wrong with the opening ceremony was Paul McCartney. He just didn't have the energy to carry the excitement after the fireworks and all that - it should have been something far more loud and upbeat! Or just someone who can actually sing alright...

Some of it was a bit obscure, but overall it was awesome :).

Her

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2024

Lizzie didn't exactly look happy to be there, didn't she?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    We watched part of the opening ceremony at a restaurant tonight, though I've never been interested in it. I couldn't even hear anything because they were playing music over it...which is dumb. So I had no idea what that crazy dance with the kids and the nurses was all about. And yeah Chris, I couldn't help but notice that too. She looks pissed, lol. But watching that tonight made me miss London soooo much. And it's pretty great to say "Wow, I've been there! I helped ring in the new year and the Olympics!" and it's a great feeling. I saw the Eye in the background at one point and I mean, I have pictures from being on it. Just pretty awesome. But that's about London in general, not the Olympics haha.

Anyway, I don't think I'll be watching any more of it voluntarily. It's never really interested me cause I just...don't care for many athletic events. But I wish good luck to all the teams! And I hope they can make the queen smile, lol.

TheFallenUmbreon

Dreams shall never fall...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2014
    Oh snap! I completely forgot about the ceremony!!! Anyway, since I'm half Japanese and half Brazilian, I can cheer for both ^_^ but I'll be cheering more for brazil. I'll be watching more of the volleyball... (a little late to be posting this bbuuuut it'll do for now...).
    LOLZ, and I just can't believe Japan beat Spain! The new coach is ggoooood O_O

Back