• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

London 2012 Olympics Thread - 27/7/12 - 12/8/12

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    I'm getting pretty that the Olympics are ending. I always do get sad cause it goes by so quickly. This year I was more into it than ever and I really wish I could keep that spirit a little bit longer. Unfortunately they don't broadcast the Paralympics here in the US. Wish they did though, I really want to see them.
    I was really into handball this year and have to say it's a pretty intense sport.
    Looking forward to watch the men's gold finals later today.
    Watching the bronze final and going to sleep.

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
    Years
    The gold medal basketball match was really great, there was a good amount of competition and it was pretty close through the whole match, but the US still showed their dominance, which is just how I like it. Lebron made some electrifying plays in the fourth quarter [with the 3 and the dunk] and Durant really put on a show earlier, so much so that they had to bring in Llull to guard him and take him out of the game. I really enjoyed it and it was great seeing the camaraderie between nations at the end.

Years
    It's a shame Spain couldn't overthrow the US, but it was a great final.

I'll miss these Olympics, they have been great and kept me occupied during the school holidays. GB have finished 3rd in the medal table though, so we have a lot to cheer about. 2016 here we come!

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Well, it was all going great until Reyes went out for the last quarter and we missed three attacks thanks to his legendary horrible aim, we could have been one point down with only 15 seconds left. But it was a great match, it was pretty close until the end, worthy of the two best countries in world basketball. And when the best one wins, you can only say "well, we'll try again next time".

Years
    I knew USA were going to win the basketball finals. They were favorites, but I desperately wanted an upset. Spain were doing great, especially in the second quarter. Reyes missing out on that final quarter was a big blow and from that moment I knew USA won the game. I am however impressed that they managed to secure 104 medals, and come first with the most gold medals achieved.

On another note, the ending ceremony was pretty good. Nothing spectacular though, but it was a good ending to a perfect Olympics.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2018
    Did anyone watch the opening and closing ceremony? They're absolutely gorgeous and so creative. I can't imagine how much time and effort went into them.

What was your favorite part?
    I liked the evolution of the UK and the children's literature in the opening. I'm still watching the closing now, but I really like the trash can/broom musicians.

Years
    I think the closing ceremony started very poorly, especially with 1D featuring. By the end of it, there had been enough good music to suit pretty much everyone though. I already miss the Olympics. :'(

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
    Years
    Did anyone happen to catch the men's volleyball final? I'm not a fan of volleyball by any means, but it was exciting to see Russia comeback to beat #1-ranked Brazil, who was up 2 sets [bo5] to none, so I enjoyed watching it, to say the least.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    The cannon gag with ELO playing in the background and the following Eric Idle performance made my night and possibly made the whole Olympics worth it for me XD

I know I'm exaggerating here but I doubt I could have possibly watched that otherwise :P

Treecko

Years
    Eric Idle's skit was the best part of the whole closing ceremony.
    The whole ceremony was pretty amazing
    well except One Direction. And freaking NBC cut Muse's performance of 'Survival' from their broadcast and delayed The Who's performance just to preview a stupid new sitcom "Animal Practice." -___- THE ONE FREAKING BAND I WANTED TO SEE!

Everything else was fantastic.

I still have both the gold and bronze medal handball finals on my DVR that I need to watch. So no spoilers. I'll get around to that later today hopefully.

Sad that the Olympics are over with, it went by too quickly. Can't wait for the Winter Olympics in 2014 in Sochi and Rio in 2016. The Winter Olympics is never as big as the Summer but I'm pretty pumped.

Last edited:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Oh God that closing ceremony was just dire. It was everything that I feared the opening ceremony would be... ah well, at least it's over. I went to Stratford today (home of the Olympic Park in London) to go to the cinema and while all the Olympic decorations were still there, you could tell that the atmosphere was very different now that the games are over. It's a shame, really, but life goes on.

Years
    London 2012 was totally memorable. Yeah, it came and went so quickly.

At least we've got the Paralympics starting in a few weeks and then come 2014 we have the next Winter Olympics in South Korea and then finally we will come to Rio 2016.

The closing ceremony was a totally amazing, especially the appearances of The Who and The Spice Girls.

Even though my beloved Australia finished 10th on the medal tally it was at least not terrible thanks to the sailing. Well, let's see if Rio can top the awesomeness of London as we look forward to 2016.

Treecko

Years
    At least we've got the Paralympics starting in a few weeks and then come 2014 we have the next Winter Olympics in South Korea and then finally we will come to Rio 2016.

Actually the Winter Games are in Sochi Russia in 2014. South Korea's won the bid for the 2018 Games.

I really wish there was away for me to watch the Paralympics. Unfortunately they don't broadcast them in the US. Probably due not enough interest. But I think it would be interest enough to watch non able-bodied people participate in sports. I was always curiosity how you play a game like volleyball with no legs or arms. I'm more interested this year after watching Oscar Pistorius run being a double amputee in the Olympics. Even if I do have both my legs and arms, it's still pretty inspiring to watch him run.

Back