• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lying to your parents

ChariChu

~ take a drink from my hands
Years
  • I'm a very detached and introverted person - even to my parents. So, I lie all the time, and since my parents don't know me very well, they can't tell the difference. It doesn't cause any problems, though. I just keep my thoughts and feelings very private, and I don't lie about huge things, I simply lie about or cover up incredibly small things... all the time. xD

Years
  • I don't really lie most of the time to my parents. It's either I tell them the truth or don't tell at all.

P.S. I'm a good liar, I lied to my school teachers, cousins, best friends(twice!) but seldom to my parents. How to know how good a liar I am? I just lied! XD
    No...really, that wasn't a lie....I can really lie and fabricate.....especially if it's to survive from things like sabotage....

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I very rarely lie to my parents, but if I do, the reason is because either I'm trying to protect my privileges, or I can't remember the truth.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • I lied to my parents in the past all the time, because usually if I got into trouble and I lied to them, they would be more focused on the fact I lied than what I did to get in trouble in the first place, so it gave me time to think of a good excuse. I still do lie to them though. Its easier. If they don't know what I'm doing then they can't get angry at me. "What they don't know can't hurt them." Its harder to lie to them now though because they know my tells when I'm lying so I have to actually put effort into each lie which makes me consider which things are worth lying about and which ones aren't.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I used to lie all the time to them when I was a young teenager, but now I very rarely lie. The only times I lie is when I just don't want them to have to worry about me or I know they are going to get up and do something out of the way for me. I don't want to be a burden to them. It always makes me feel horrible when I lie, but I have to sometimes.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • Well I sometimes lie about little things. Who doesn't. However a few months ago my friends and I snuck out (stupid teen mistakes) and it got back to my parents. So now that I feel guilty over betraying their trust, and them not 100% trusting me, I'd prefer to be truthful to them. I mean, after raising me, it's the least I can do to be honest with them. However I can be very embarrassed over stupid things and don't tell them unless it's important for them to know. Like how I want to be a dog trainer. My mother even said I should do something like that, yet I don't want to bring it up. Things like that. I won't tell her some thing unless she asks. (Of course now if I want to go to some party I'll be asking, and if they say no then I'll just accept it.)

gollumcaprio

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2010
    Everybody lies to parents especially teenagers.But they dont know how bad it is.It is all the matter of trust.If you break your parents trust on you then you will be never regain your impression on your parents.After all they are final authority of our life.

Kelp

<3
    Years
  • I can't keep a straight face while lying, so I don't. xP

If I recall correctly, I've lied a bit in the past, but I can't really remember anything in detail.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    I really don't like lying to anyone, and I don't lie to my mother very often. The lies I have told her I usually tell her later, due to guilt. But the last lie I told was four weeks ago. I told her I was going to walk with a friend to school. I walked to my boyfriend's house instead of going to school. At noon I felt bad and told her the truth. I don't ditch school very often (that she knows- I usually ditch every now and then) but it's the first time she knew of, so she just told me to come home. We played Scrabble. :3

When I was younger, I was terrible. I was an awful little liar, lying about this and that. The most severe was when I was ten years old. I was a typical kid who liked playing with his friends, so my mom got walkie-talkies. But these cool ones that are instant. It's like a two way radio. Well, one day I was with my friends, and we were on a huge hill with our bikes. I thought going down the hill would break the radio, so I tossed it into a nearby field for some reason. The day was fun, until I had to go home. I was looking for the radio, but couldn't find it. I asked my friends to help, but they refused.

I was with four friends whom I remember, but no longer talk to- Marcus, Micheal, Richard, and Andrew. Marcus has always been a troublemaker, so I figured I could blame it on him. And so I tried. I got home and told my mother than Marcus took my radio and tossed it into the field. So she got in the car and drove to the hill (or at least close to it) and scolded Marcus. He swore he didn't do anything, and then I immediately confessed. She was so angry, she'd make Chuck Norris flinch.

Eventually I found it, but I was dreading the car back home. It was silent. No one spoke a word, but my mom was furious. She was totally aware of my lying, and she's sick of it. So when we got home, she called my uncle's cousin - a police officer - to come by and talk to me about my lying. My siblings were frantically crying. They thought the cop was going to take me away for something. I don't remember crying, but I don't remember fear. I wasn't afraid of cops they way I am now (they have so much power and I'm always afraid they might get me for some random thing).

The cops arrived and had a talk with me. I don't remember the talk exactly, but I do remember him saying something that I didn't own anything until I was eighteen. Then the cops left, and I learned my lesson.

...Wow, I'd tl;dr that.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Honestly, it's not that children have malicious intent or mean any disrespect when they lie. Parents can be overprotective, overbearing and quite totalitarian sometimes, and that's hardly fair. Sometimes you just have to lie. I call lies like that "Gray lies". They're neither good nor bad lies...they're just to save a big fight and lots of trouble in cases where you just so happen to strongly oppose your parent's moral standpoints.

No one can ever say they've ever agreed with ALL of their parent's morals. Maybe you want privacy. Maybe you just don't see a need to argue the point with them. Sometimes you have to lie out of respect for their beliefs and morals. It's not that you are disrespecting them, you're doing them a respectful service by not debating the subject.

Gray lies are not immoral or wrong unless you're doing something obviously harmful or stupid. Sometimes a child just knows that their parents will freak out if they found out you did X, even if they never explicitly told you that you could not do that. If there is no harm, there is no foul. What a parent doesn't know, doesn't hurt them. In a way, most of those gray lies are told out of love and respect, not hatred, disrespect, or disregard of their wishes.

I've lied to my parents. I admit it, and I'm openly not ashamed of it. Still, I avoid telling direct lies anyways. That being said, I'm so rarely in any situation where I'd have to lie about something, and I'm usually so honest with my parents anyways that even if I do have to lie I never got in much trouble anyways.

Lies shouldn't be told regularly though, because if you make a habit of it...people won't believe you when it really counts. When you really need them to believe the truth you're telling, or the lie you're forced to tell because if the truth came out, it'd do more harm than good they won't believe you and everything you say becomes a lie in their eyes.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Sometimes lying to your parents can save your skin in a huge way. For instance lying to an abusive parent about something, especially when said parent isn't home alot or very involved in your life, to avoid a fight wouldn't be so bad I think

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    To be honest, I do it way too much. For some reason, I never wanted my parents involved in my life as much as they should be. Tbh they barely know anything about me besides the bare basics...

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • Well, when I was 5, mom made some sort of a "surprise". Since I just learned to read, she put up a sheet with "5 Rules to Follow" for me and my brother (at that point, he was 3, but I read them to him). One of them was not lying... the rest, I really can't remember.

I suppose... lying and not telling are basically the same thing, right ? Anyways, I never really lied to my parents, just tried not to tell them things. I am not a really good liar, and my face usually turns red... >_<

However, mom did lie as a kid herself : in 8th Grade, she got a 3 in Chemistry, which she turned into an 8 with her pen... my grandma kinda beat her. ): My mom usually told me she would beat me if I lied, but I knew she would never do that... still, I don't remember lying a really important thing, such as a bad grade.

Geoff_P1

Add me on msn etc if you want.
    Years
  • I lie to my mum almost everyday. Whne she asks me "am I ok?" I say "yes" even if I'm not to stop her going on and moaning and making a big stress out of it.

Years
  • I lie when it benefits me. However, usually, it's only small lies. I've found that lying about big things only ends up in disaster. ):

I mean, I only lie so I don't have to deal with moaning/etc. D:

Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2010
    I lie occasionally. Usually to benefit myself slightly, or as to not hurt the feelings of my mom. Small things only. Also, when I tell the truth, it usually works out better. Of course, sometimes I don't lie, I just omit parts of the truth. You know like, "Hey mom, can I spend the night with _____" and in turn I do, just not at that persons house.

I think that most kids lie simply because they don't want to get in trouble. They still want to keep the favor of their parents, so they lie to make it seem like what they did was good, or bad to a lesser extent. They don't want to look like a horrible kid in front of their parents, otherwise, they might not even get to do good things. I've seen plenty of this in my house.

MEGAS

Bestow5000 from YouTube
    Years
  • I seldomly lie to my parents but mostly its because I want to avoid getting punished. Even though my mom is so smart that she even easily finds out about my lies, I still lie. Strange and yet crazy for me. I guess it can't be helped sometimes.

Back