• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Male, female, does it matter?

HallwayKid

The Illogical Scientist
    Years
    I try to get my team to have a mix of genders, or whatever seems appropriate to me. Currently in Platinum I have a Male Luxio, Female Lopunny, Male Mothim (That one was necessary), and Female Cherrim. I also plan on getting a Male Absol, and a Female Snorunt.

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    Like a male Gardevoir, that's just wrong.
    I always pictured Gardevoir as an old lady, so...

Really though, I tend to catch males if I'm going to use any rare TM's on it, so that way I can get them passed down to other pokemon. Things like Pikachu I tend to catch females so I can get Pichu.

Years
    Well my current team (Platinum) seems to be a sausage fest with me even having a male Gardevoir which is a little wrong. Generally I like my starter to be male and then I dont care too much about the rest except in rare cases like Luxray & Gyarados who I think should be male

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    Umm.. yes about the thing you included Gardy in.
    Otherwise, I'll take female only because it matches the trainer's gender.

Years
    [default answer]
    Usually i dont care about my Pokemon's gender if i don't have to (like in Combee's case), just some weird things like male Lopunnys or female Machokes bother me, they're just ... weird
    [/default answer]

Thorazine Corazon

Defective Masterball
    Years
    I breed Pokemon a lot, so if it's something I want more of obviously I try to get a female. Pokemon with high IVs I always hope to be males though, then I can use them as breeders with different species. As far as just basing it off looks, I don't care, but male Gardevoir used to really annoy me. Haha

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    Well, with obviously feminine Pokemon such as Gardevoir and Lopunny, I prefer them to be female, but apart from that I wouldn't really mind except I have this tendency to ship my team Pokemon togther... ^_^;
    My Buizel, Gardevoir, Lopunny and Persian are always female, my Arcanine and Dragonite are always male.
    For the rest I have no issues, though next time I capture a Zubat it will be male for reasons too long for me to be bothered to post here. ^_^

xX

UltimaWeapon

UltimaPoke
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2011
    I only have preferences if the Pokemon LOOKS like a girl.

A female Alakazam is just gross looking.

Nudge

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2014
    When I'm playing through I usually just go with what I get, but somehow every team I have or have put together only ever has 1 female.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    What really sucks is when there's only one of a certain Pokemon (this is mainly aimed at Colosseum and XD) and you don't really wanna SR for a certain gender. That's what's really annoying. I've gotten the male Ralts before...yeah, that wasn't fun.

thegeneticway

"He has kickin' powers"-Trixie
    Years
    I don't really mind it much, but some do look wrong the other gender , but without female pokemon, you can't get egg moves from other pokemon and without male, you can't really pass down moves at all ~

But I usually get a Female Starter sometimes just to use it to breed something in the future

Dinoyipi

whited out!
    Years
    Most of the time, gender is irrelevant, except in breeding. A notable exception is Snorlut. If you use a Dawn Stone on it, it will turn into Froslass, but only if it's female. I'm sure there are other exceptions, but I don't know what they are.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
    I hate the "Male" icon... it just looks gross. I would rather my pokemon be Female. But, if it is clearly a "Male" pokemon, I wont mind it.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Insert random filler here.

Last edited:

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
    I mainly want my party pokemon and the pokemon I use often to be male. I dont know why, but I just do. Other pokemon, I dont care what gender they are.

Back