• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Male Vs. Female

Male or Female Pokemon?

• Total voters

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • I really just catch what I want, regardless of gender. So I have no preference, unless I absolutely have to have a certain gender for whatever reason. So...idk how my teams would add up, haha.

Kokuo

Ground Type Trainer
    Years
  • I tend to have mostly to all-male teams. I decide the desired gender for my pokemon based on whether I see them as masculine or feminine, and since most pokemon look more like males than females, I usually have all male teams. Though if I can't decide whether I see it as male or female, I tend to lean towards male.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • On second thought, there are some Pokemon species that I like to have as a particular gender. For instance, I can't fathom the idea of female Charmander/meleon/izards... it's just a weird image to me. Just like male Gardevoirs weird me out.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • If I'm just catching them for my Dex then I'm not really fussed. If I'm using them on my team however, I like the gender to be how I see them as that gender.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
  • I don't pay attention to genders. I usually have a male and female name ready for any pokemon I catch so I'm not at a loss. I hardly use genderless. Not because I don't like them, but because I never run into them. Funniest thing, my team is always 50% male and female in the end. I don't plan it at all, but my inner OCD fanatic enjoys it. And I tend to have pokemon that are male when they look feminine and vice versa. It doesn't bother me. I like having female pokemon that look like they kick butt. I think it's better to not care about gender when catching pokemon if you're not breeding. That way it's fair. But sometimes I do like to catch a certain gender in case the pokemon has different features than the other gender. Like Gyarados, I like the female ones more. Sure the "whiskers" thing is just a small detail that can be overlooked, but I happen to like the small details.

shinx12345

Aquilla
    Years
  • On second thought, there are some Pokemon species that I like to have as a particular gender. For instance, I can't fathom the idea of female Charmander/meleon/izards... it's just a weird image to me. Just like male Gardevoirs weird me out.

On that note, don't you think they should add a more manly sprite for male ones?
    Seeing as there maybe an opportunity to suddenly change minor things about gen 3 Pokemon in particular soon, I don't see why not...
    Make it happen GF!

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2011
    I like to have more females on my team then males, it usually depends on the pokemon though.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I really have no preference for most of my pokemon. If I'm looking to put one of my favorites on my team though, I'd much rather prefer a male to a female. XD

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    In HGSS, I used to have an all-female team, but after a while I felt it was kind of awkward to have a female Golem and Machamp, you know? XD; So generally, I split it right down the middle - three females, three males. It works out for the most part, but since I generally pick who's male and who's female by how what gender I perceive the Pokémon in question as, it could be slightly uneven.

Joey's Rattata

Top Percentage
    Years
  • The only time I really care about genders is if I'm planning to breed without a Ditto. I usually end up with more males on my team, but that's because I'm not picky. I usually just go "Okay! I caught a Hoothoot! <names it something ridiculously hard to pronounce> Fish to the team! :D"

Though there's one Pokemon I do mind about genders...

Ralts.

Male Kirlia.

MALE KIRLIA.

;_;

Years
  • It depends. It depends on what the random number gods feel like.
    ..or if one of my team members happens to have a set gender, of course.
    But really, I don't care.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I don't care about the gender all to mush unless the gender differences look really different and I like one better than the other. And of course I only like female Combee. I prefer female Snorunt and male Kirlia also so then I can have the opportunity of both their evolutions.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I have a tendency to make my team predominately female. Unlike everyone else, I seem to be very aware of small differences like that.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Gender, nature, ability... all that crap I don't really care about when playing the games. Never really play competitively, and I always find it weird how all of the trainers have Pokemon that are the same sex as they are. Must be some reeeeeal misogyny and misandry going on in the Pokemon world...

The_Noob

Banned
    Years
  • Gender, nature, ability... all that crap I don't really care about when playing the games. Never really play competitively, and I always find it weird how all of the trainers have Pokemon that are the same sex as they are. Must be some reeeeeal misogyny and misandry going on in the Pokemon world...

Either that, or they like catching Pokemon they can bond with easier. After all, it is easier for a guy to make friends with a guy, because they can usually relate to eachother's problems as... guys.

So I guess catching a 'mon goes the same way.

Noob out.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2021
    I usually pick the gender that the Pokemon looks like, and if it is ambiguous, I go with female. Right now, my whole team is female, except dwebble (Hm slave). I have a Serperior, Victini, Vanilluxe, and Jellicent, Swanna (also HM slave, but still female).

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I never exactly pick a gender for a pokemon just because it looks like a certain gender. For example....my Conkeldurr is a Female.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • Gender has never realy bothered me all that much in the games, unless I go about nicknaming them after certain people, then gender does matter. So like, if I just have the urge to call only of my Pokemon "Sydian", the it'd have to be a female Pokemon. ^__^

Back