• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Male Vs. Female

Male or Female Pokemon?

• Total voters

TheUnown

Super Lurker
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2015
    I mainly use males 'cause the Pokemon I use "feel" more male-like. But it depends on how the Pokemon look like to me. For instance, if I were using a Tyranitar or Machoke, I'd use a male but a Pokemon like Lapras or Bellossom, I would choose a female.

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
    Years
  • I tend to like to get females as much as possible if I want to breed them and because male pokemon in general are more common and Attract would work in more situations if I use it.

Nam

Years
  • I don't pay attention to Gender unless I'm breeding.. but I gotta admit, seeing a Male Jiggly Puff is pretty freaky.. O.o

They should make Kirby the Male model. xD

And lets not get started on a Male Jynx...

Last edited:

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
  • I normally pick female pokemon, 'cause a lot of my favorites are feminine, and I generally end up using female looking pokemon anyway...

Even then, when I actually catch a pokemon and not care about gender, seems to commonly end up female anyway.

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • I usually try to make my team half-male and half-female, and I usually decide that whether the Pokemon looks girly or not. Though whenever I want to catch a male Pokemon on my team, it alwyas appears as female so I just escape and hope to see if another one appears, which is usually female. That's why I have a female Deino.

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2012
    I see trades all the time where people are asking for the same pokemon with the same level and all they want different is the gender, I really don't see the point in getting a different gender I mean sure they are a bit different, however they are just as good when it comes to battles no matter what gender they are.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    My teams are almost always predominantly male, and often all male. It's actually intentional for the most part, but it ends up happening unintentionally a lot, too. Genders are sort of important to me. My Pokemon tend to develop into personalities of their own, and a fitting gender plays a role in that. When it comes to 'Mons like Gardevoir and Machamp that seem like they ought to be a certain gender, I usually go for the opposite one. Male Lopunnies and female Golems are more fun and less generic. ;w;

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • I only care about gender when I have a nickname in mind that is meant for only one. Usually this occurs when creating my team only.

When I am capturing a pokemon just for the pokedex I will just capture the first one I encounter. I don't use my pokedex onlys but will plan to at the end of the game if they need to be evolved to add more pokedex entries.

SonGohan

ドラゴンボール
    Years
  • For me it usually depends on a Pokemon's appearance(I always want my Gardevoir to female and my Machamp to be male for example). I don't really go for a certain amount or try for only one gender on a team.

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • For me it usually depends on a Pokemon's appearance(I always want my Gardevoir to female and my Machamp to be male for example). I don't really go for a certain amount or try for only one gender on a team.

Ah yes I do this too, for example when playing the old Johto games I prefer Chikorita to be female just because it doesn't really have a male look, and it's a lot easier coming up with female grass related names than male.

I actually think Chikorita is the only pokemon I really have that preference with though, other than that it's nickname based as I said before.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I'd say mostly male, or a mixture of male and genderless Pokemon (which are usually legendaries). The designs of many Pokemon look mostly male from my perspective, so most of them end up being male when I seek them out. If the design is more female, the Pokemon will end up being female, though...

レイジングブラスト

Back after a short break
    Years
  • I usually use the male since I am one but I find myself using the female character quite a bit too. If I get both games in a series(such as having Black and White) then I'll have one game with the female character and the other with the male.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • I try to get more females, but since many Pokemon I have hatched from an egg or came from a fossil, I didn't choose their sex. Thus my team is half/half :(. Don't you feel there are more male Pokemon in the games? Maybe I'm just unlucky :P.

Back