• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Manga vs Anime

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2012
    I understand that there was already a thread that states the possibilities of the pokemon adventures manga being turned into an anime. I thought it would be appropriate to separate this thread since there are a number of questions I have revolving as to why they HAD to make a new anime (the one today) instead of using the manga to begin with. Can I confirm a few things just to ask if I got my facts right?
    1. For starters I believe that pokemon adventures was released months before the anime right?
    2. Satoshi Tagiri said that the manga was according to him "exactly what I imagined the pokemon world to be and it is what I wanted to convey" or something like that.
    3. I believe that Hidenori Kusaka wrote the manga right? did tajiri had an involvement on it or did kusaka just use the inspiration and got the authorization?

This leads me to the question, why did they make a new anime? After all if we are talking about losing profits from selling the manga, certain anime like pokemon and detective conan would not be that famous both in their anime and manga would they not? What do you guys think? The thought keeps haunting me and I can't accept it.

hoennshipperxxx

pokémonmaster in training
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    I understand that there was already a thread that states the possibilities of the pokemon adventures manga being turned into an anime. I thought it would be appropriate to separate this thread since there are a number of questions I have revolving as to why they HAD to make a new anime (the one today) instead of using the manga to begin with. Can I confirm a few things just to ask if I got my facts right?
    1. For starters I believe that pokemon adventures was released months before the anime right?
    2. Satoshi Tagiri said that the manga was according to him "exactly what I imagined the pokemon world to be and it is what I wanted to convey" or something like that.
    3. I believe that Hidenori Kusaka wrote the manga right? did tajiri had an involvement on it or did kusaka just use the inspiration and got the authorization?

This leads me to the question, why did they make a new anime? After all if we are talking about losing profits from selling the manga, certain anime like pokemon and detective conan would not be that famous both in their anime and manga would they not? What do you guys think? The thought keeps haunting me and I can't accept it.

hmmm... i think you're right.....

but i think that maybe they thought that the manga wouldn't be enough and that's why they made the anime... or the manga wasn't popular enough......

but you can ask the same question: why do they make movies out of books?
    well... to make it all look better and put effects in it...
    maybe THAT is the reason...

but maybe they thought that some guys wouldn't like to read comics and that they would prefer an anime, maybe THAT is the reason...

well i don't know these were just my thoughts...

fanh

<= Gotta eat 'em all
    Years
    Hmm... I saw the anime before I read the manga, and I'm not sure which was out first though... But I think they made a new anime because of some reasons:

+ Some of the plots and stories from the manga are too complicated for little kids to understand.
    + There are some violence (blood and stuff) from the manga (Example: The part when Ruby chased the Salamence away)

Those are just my opinion, though =.= Anyway... the manga is wayyyy better than the anime 8D

hoennshipperxxx

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    Hmm... I saw the anime before I read the manga, and I'm not sure which was out first though... But I think they made a new anime because of some reasons:

+ Some of the plots and stories from the manga are too complicated for little kids to understand.
    + There are some violence (blood and stuff) from the manga (Example: The part when Ruby chased the Salamence away)

Those are just my opinion, though =.= Anyway... the manga is wayyyy better than the anime 8D

i.....TOTALLY.....agree.... with everything you said!

btw it's not only too complicated for lill kids, for example: if i would tell my class about the manga, explain them what shippings are and that i'm a franticshipper, they would laugh me in my face -.-

that's why i will always keep it a secret in real life...

fanh

<= Gotta eat 'em all
    Years
    i.....TOTALLY.....agree.... with everything you said!

btw it's not only too complicated for lill kids, for example: if i would tell my class about the manga, explain them what shippings are and that i'm a franticshipper, they would laugh me in my face -.-

that's why i will always keep it a secret in real life...

Oh. Em. Gee. *hugs you*

Same goes with me. Worse, actually.

When I told my friend that I like Pokemon, she was like: 'OMG you still like that thing for little kids'

*is speechless*

hoennshipperxxx

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    Oh. Em. Gee. *hugs you*

Same goes with me. Worse, actually.

When I told my friend that I like Pokemon, she was like: 'OMG you still like that thing for little kids'

*slaps her face*

yea... she must think about the anime, THAT is for lill kids.... manga is the real work!

i CAN tell my friends about the manga, but i won't tell them about shippings... and if they read it (they won't :p), and see a shipping, and than come to me and say: omg i don't like it that there are couples in it... than i could say: yea... that is the bad part, but the rest is cool!

if i'd say that, i won't mean it, but they won't know that i'm a shipper!

P.S: sorry i changed what you said i couldn't help it XD

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
    the pokemon manga, if it were adopted into an anime, would right now be just as popular as, seriously i think, stuff like Bleach and Naruto. the story is much more in depth, the battles are WAYYYYYY cooler, and character development is hella better

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2012
    hmmm... i think you're right.....

but i think that maybe they thought that the manga wouldn't be enough and that's why they made the anime... or the manga wasn't popular enough......

but you can ask the same question: why do they make movies out of books?
    well... to make it all look better and put effects in it...
    maybe THAT is the reason...

but maybe they thought that some guys wouldn't like to read comics and that they would prefer an anime, maybe THAT is the reason...

well i don't know these were just my thoughts...

Yes you are right, its precisely my point. A manga and books would not be enough thats why people needed an anime and they make movies out of books. Yet if our intention is to improve the already made manga then it would be a better idea if they turned the manga to an anime instead of making a new one right?

Also I agree on the manga being too complicated and somehow violent on little kids but the only reason the target audience became little kids is that anime they made. I mean if they made the anime adaptation of the manga right away then the target audience would have became teenagers and adults.

The creators never thought that since they created that anime, the majority of people would likely read less of the manga since they won't know how good it can be. I am a personal example of that. I discoved the manga like more than 5 years ago and yet I did not bother reading it since I thought the anime today is the same as the manga.

hoennshipperxxx

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    Yes you are right, its precisely my point. A manga and books would not be enough thats why people needed an anime and they make movies out of books. Yet if our intention is to improve the already made manga then it would be a better idea if they turned the manga to an anime instead of making a new one right?

Also I agree on the manga being too complicated and somehow violent on little kids but the only reason the target audience became little kids is that anime they made. I mean if they made the anime adaptation of the manga right away then the target audience would have became teenagers and adults.

The creators never thought that since they created that anime, the majority of people would likely read less of the manga since they won't know how good it can be.

i agree!
    but if they would make an anime out of the mangas, than the ppl who only watched the animes, would be more interested in the manga or the shippings.
    and the ppl who already know the manga is way better would watch the anime out of the manga closely and they would like it, cuz than you could see:

- movements
    - colors
    - effects
    - (hopefully) positive changes

also, if they would make an anime, than young AND old could like pokemon...
    now not many ppl know about the manga even existing....

Bonzai-Cat

The Best Around
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2011
    Well I personally think that like you guys have mentioned before it's probably because the older audience of Pokemon is just too small compared to the child audience of Pokemon.
    they are trying to market Pokemon towards a younger child audience instead of the old die hard fans or an older teen audience because they will get more money from it.

and I'm kinda lucky at my school, I converted one of my friends to liking pokemon again thanks to all my talk about it with him lol and my girlfriend dosen't mind me playing either. but my soial teacher found out about it and now laughs at me v_v

Rank1

Elite Trainer
    Years
    At least Pokemon manga doesn't have everyday recurring villains like the Team Rocket idiot trio, and actually has kickass battles, strategy, combat, and 1 to 6 pokemons at a time battles.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2012
    Well I personally think that like you guys have mentioned before it's probably because the older audience of Pokemon is just too small compared to the child audience of Pokemon.
    they are trying to market Pokemon towards a younger child audience instead of the old die hard fans or an older teen audience because they will get more money from it.

and I'm kinda lucky at my school, I converted one of my friends to liking pokemon again thanks to all my talk about it with him lol and my girlfriend dosen't mind me playing either. but my soial teacher found out about it and now laughs at me v_v

Yeah you're right. The current series is an ideal way of advertising their toys, dolls, and cards. Its also a way to put in characters like the pokemon rangers. But still, why won't they kill off the annoying team rocket trio and seriously where is the quality of the show now. Their aim to be a master is unfounded since you can never really become a master because one way or another someone will be better than you. You can't be a master if you always lose in every competition. Plus why don't the characters ever age? At least you saw the change in Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow on FRLG.

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    if the manga is going to be converted into an anime, im SO LOOKING FWD to it. The manga is a bit more mature, but its definitely better than the current crap series with have now.

hoennshipperxxx

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    if the manga is going to be converted into an anime, im SO LOOKING FWD to it. The manga is a bit more mature, but its definitely better than the current crap series with have now.

haha you're totally right!

about team rocket,i should've put them away after johto, and than team M and A begin to rumble, and they go away, and in sinnoh is team G, now team rochet is in every season... if i was giovanni, i would've already fired them

Donna

~
    Years
    I would've already fired them

You're absolutely right!
    I mean.. they failed like.. a bazillion times. Where do they keep getting the money for their stupid machines?

Plus they encountered several legendaries.. Why still chase after a Pikachu? XD
    Woner how old Ash is now.. Still looks like a brat of 10 to me..

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    Reasons why I prefer the manga:

1. Characters, battles, the whole shebang are all so much better
    2. It's more realistic.
    3. The plot is SO much better.
    4. It's aimed at an older audience and has the stuff like curse words and blood which are cut out of the anime
    5. Um, the characters grow older? Ash should be like 15 by now but he still looks 11.
    6. Team Rocket actually does something.

hoennshipperxxx

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 26, 2014
    why i like the manga:

- better adventures
    - shippings
    - its funnier
    - the characters are way cooler
    - its not only for children from about 13 and under.... its the real work
    - no stupid jesse and james everyday in every episode in every season in every place
    - its more exciting
    - no stupid guy that speaks in the beginning and the end, he sounds really stupid o.O

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
    I don't understand why the didn't convert the manga into an anime from the start instead of dumping it and instead bringing in, oh gawd, Ash Ketchem

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2012
    I don't understand why the didn't convert the manga into an anime from the start instead of dumping it and instead bringing in, oh gawd, Ash Ketchem

Yeah some of us don't. Also speaking of ash ketchum, its a funny story. You see I also have a you tube account which is the same as my username here and about 2 years ago I uploaded one of the pokemon anime specials Raikou Legend of Thunder in japanese with eng sub. Back then I never heard of the manga before and since I started hating the anime I decided to watch something without ash in it. That special is really good in my opinion. Too bad the english version ruined it. Anyway after a few days I received comments... ALL NEGATIVE COMMENTS.
    1. Where the .... is Ash?
    2. What the.... is this?
    3. I WANT ASH NOW

Talk about annoying. I got so mad I turned it private. They are attracted to ash and not care about the show at all. They act like I made the video and blames me because ash is not there. My point here is that since the manga is just unmoving and uncolored pictures, no matter how good it is since its not in television it would never be appreciated.

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
    Yeah some of us don't. Also speaking of ash ketchum, its a funny story. You see I also have a you tube account which is the same as my username here and about 2 years ago I uploaded one of the pokemon anime specials Raikou Legend of Thunder in japanese with eng sub. Back then I never heard of the manga before and since I started hating the anime I decided to watch something without ash in it. That special is really good in my opinion. Too bad the english version ruined it. Anyway after a few days I received comments... ALL NEGATIVE COMMENTS.
    1. Where the .... is Ash?
    2. What the.... is this?
    3. I WANT ASH NOW

Talk about annoying. I got so mad I turned it private. They are attracted to ash and not care about the show at all. They act like I made the video and blames me because ash is not there. My point here is that since the manga is just unmoving and uncolored pictures, no matter how good it is since its not in television it would never be appreciated.

I lol at number 3. What lozer would say that? Ash sucks so bad who gives a crap abot him

Back