• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Manga vs Anime

Elite-Four-Mark

I'm in the elite four now!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2008
    I just hated the concept of Pikachu walking around with the group...and then why was Ash named ash? I mean, Red and Blue worked just fine...

I'm actually working on a more teen-based yet calmed down version of the manga as an american-anime (since I can't create an actual anime) but even if I don't put any effort in it will still outrun the current anime. (poking fun at the current anime!)

EDIT: and 13 isn't exactly "little", it's still teen years...it's only been four months since I turned fourteen and I've already got a decent amount of stories written for my first book, "Suicide By Numbers"...I know it's probably hard for you to understand because you're eleven years older than fanh but in terms of schooling being "nearly fourteen" isn't that young. most people stop liking pokemon when they're nine, those who don't end up either working at nintendo or writing mangas such as the one we are discussing.

Last edited:

Ageless Irony

MANIC SPAMMER
    Years
    You know, I'd probably watch the anime a bit if they got better voice acting, but the way it is now...It's just...ugh...
    Which means if there was an anime of the manga, it might end up suffering the same fate...Which would be bad...

Ash hit puberty and puberty hit back ><

KNIGHT_OF_ARCEUS

Pokemon fan
    Years
    I have a lot of reasons for hating the anime. The first thing i should bring up is the anime is so repeditve team rocket tries to steal pikachu in almost every episode with expensive toys they can't possibly afford or even build the as fast as they do. also, everybody is too stupid to see through team rocket's obvious costumes. plus how does team rocket survive so many potentialy deadly expolosions after the fail to capture pikachu. also how does team rocket get sent flying so easily.
    to top it all off the anime is what is made certain people think that the pokemon games are for babies just because the anime is.
    The manga is 1000000000000000000000000000 times better than the anime. That is in every way possible.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Ash hit puberty and puberty hit back ><

You keep making me rofl. And I hate using that acronym. ><

But yeah, I almost died on the floor when I heard his new voice...

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2012
    is this a trick question!?

manga>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(millions of arrows later) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anime

FACT!
    i can't stand the anime anymore! it full of repeat episodes!
    person has a problem
    ash shows up and helps
    team rocket shows up
    ash beats them and the person's problem is ressolved
    the end

they do that 500 times before each plot-related battle.

the manga is more straight forward, the characters actually know how to use their brains and the manga doesn't have pointless fillers.

so thusfore
    manga pwns the anime very very very very very hard. with lots of energy to spare.

So true. Besides the manga really does not have any pointless fillers because fillers are defined as something not made by the creator but by producers. They are what is called an anime original. Sorry for the lecture I do agree with you.

I like the manga for the same reasons everyone here. Let me also add that they have good strategies in battle. Example they explain how this and that happened during battles. In story they start at the middle and they explain through flashbacks. THAT NEVER HAPPENS IN ANIME simply because their episodes are so straight forward.

TODAY OUR HEROES GO THROUGH BLAH BLAH BLAH same old thing for every episode

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I like the manga for the same reasons everyone here. Let me also add that they have good strategies in battle. Example they explain how this and that happened during battles. In story they start at the middle and they explain through flashbacks. THAT NEVER HAPPENS IN ANIME simply because their episodes are so straight forward.

And there's not good character development in the anime. Ash is still a hotshot idiot(no offense Satoshi fangirls) and Brock's still a lady lover(but, that's funny) and Team Rocket is still stupid...and Pikachu is still ugly as crap and has MAGICAL POWARZ OMG.

And notice that most of them don't have good backgrounds...oh wow. Ash has a mom and we have no clue who his dad is. Oh wow. Brock has a million and seven siblings. Oh wow. Misty is a tomboy and was made fun of by her sisters. That's soooooo great.

Whereas, Blue was snatched by a gigant-o bird(Ho-oh) and doesn't know where her mom and dad are. Silver was snatched by the gigant-o bird, doesn't know his birthday, is the son of Giovanni, doesn't want to accept it, doesn't know his mom, and I could go on.

Crystal broke her arms...and kicks Pokeballs as a result.

Ruby and Sapphire met when they were five, were attacked by Salamence, and had a big personality change because of it.

See, the manga backgrounds are a bit more extensive and interesting.

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    true that, splatty. let's not even get started on Lance and Yellow....

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    true that, splatty. let's not even get started on Lance and Yellow....

-shifty eyes- Royal Genesis caught on. xD

GrantedShipping for the win!!!

Also, lets not forget Wally, with his sickly childhood, and that crazy superpowered Asthma attack, causing him to have to wear that ninja-esque breathing armor.

That, too. ;D

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    oh, and who could forget Bruno being mentally raped by those mind control devices? Or Mask of Ice?
    good times...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    oh, and who could forget Bruno being mentally raped by those mind control devices? Or Mask of Ice?
    good times...

Mask of Ice > Anime Team Rocket

Now...about the 'mental rape'... O_o

Years
    I used to be a manga purist, but then again the anime is geared towards a bigger audience, and a bigger audience just happens to include children. Of course we're not going to show an Arbok getting sliced in half or secret Pokeball attacks involving chests... the anime has an excuse for that--being "kiddy" and all.

What I don't understand in the anime though is the repetitive plot and the forgettable side characters. Oh and Team Rocket was starting to get bland around Orange Islands.

Spirallin

Personality Deficient
    Years
    • Seen May 11, 2008
    What I don't understand in the anime though is the repetitive plot and the forgettable side characters. Oh and Team Rocket was starting to get bland around Orange Islands.

Well, you do have to remember Pokémon is primarily a kid's show.
    I was thinking the same thing the other day, actually--all the episodes follow the same basic formula, that is, Ash & co. get into some poké shenanigans, Team Rocket steals something, epic battle to regain the lost something, Team Rocket blasts off, Ash&co and featured pokémon of the episode do a happy dance and are on their way. It's just exciting enough to make a much younger audience happy, without having to put in a particularly strong plot of subtleties that might confuse them. :p

Personally, I prefer the manga--I love the action, the battles, the storylines, and above all, the characters. <3 They have a lot more personality, but that's just my opinion.

Years
    Well, you do have to remember Pokémon is primarily a kid's show.
    I was thinking the same thing the other day, actually--all the episodes follow the same basic formula, that is, Ash & co. get into some poké shenanigans, Team Rocket steals something, epic battle to regain the lost something, Team Rocket blasts off, Ash&co and featured pokémon of the episode do a happy dance and are on their way. It's just exciting enough to make a much younger audience happy, without having to put in a particularly strong plot of subtleties that might confuse them. :p

Personally, I prefer the manga--I love the action, the battles, the storylines, and above all, the characters. <3 They have a lot more personality, but that's just my opinion.

Yeah, I really liked the manga because of the characters, too. They're memorable and nostalgic and I appreciate Kusaka for attempting to incorporate older heroes into newer volumes like the Battle Frontier, etc. Although sometimes I'm irked by the fact that a few characters are a bit two dimensional... but I don't mind it that much. I still love the characters.

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
    I used to be a manga purist, but then again the anime is geared towards a bigger audience, and a bigger audience just happens to include children. Of course we're not going to show an Arbok getting sliced in half or secret Pokeball attacks involving chests... the anime has an excuse for that--being "kiddy" and all.

A little censorship never hurts.

Usually if a manga gets adopted into an anime they'll usually change, take out, or add new content to keep the show at a more 'kid friendly' level.

Example: In the naruto manga there is a part where a guy gets his head chopped off yet in the anime he is instead stabbed in the chest, then thrown off a bridge.

Years
    A little censorship never hurts.

Usually if a manga gets adopted into an anime they'll usually change, take out, or add new content to keep the show at a more 'kid friendly' level.

Example: In the naruto manga there is a part where a guy gets his head chopped off yet in the anime he is instead stabbed in the chest, then thrown off a bridge.
    Isn't that what fans complain about most then? Yeah you go to communities and it's "why did they censor this?" or "they should have kept the dialog" all just to keep the "authenticity" of the anime.

Anyway, I don't really want the manga to be the anime anymore for several reasons: first reason is that it's pretty much too late and if they wanted to turn it into an anime, they could have done it 10 years ago.

Second of all, anything that turns into an anime will get followed by a terrible fanbase. I'm happy when the mangas/light novels I used to read had a decent (and small) fanbase where I could have a nice and coherent discussion... but after it gets released into an anime, all hell broke lose.

Third of all was my aforementioned statement: authenticity. The games are geared towards a younger audience (not anymore as D/P are more for competitive battles now), and of course a cartoon about cute little creatures will automatically go to children. Oh, and voice actors. The good thing about mangas/light novels is that you establish a voice for the character and it's unique with everyone else's. I've listened to a couple of radio dramas a few years ago about Pokemon Special and the voices were just not right.

I think I have a bunch of other reasons but I'll just... stop my rant there... haha.

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
    Isn't that what fans complain about most then? Yeah you go to communities and it's "why did they censor this?" or "they should have kept the dialog" all just to keep the "authenticity" of the anime.

Anyway, I don't really want the manga to be the anime anymore for several reasons: first reason is that it's pretty much too late and if they wanted to turn it into an anime, they could have done it 10 years ago.

Second of all, anything that turns into an anime will get followed by a terrible fanbase. I'm happy when the mangas/light novels I used to read had a decent (and small) fanbase where I could have a nice and coherent discussion... but after it gets released into an anime, all hell broke lose.

Third of all was my aforementioned statement: authenticity. The games are geared towards a younger audience (not anymore as D/P are more for competitive battles now), and of course a cartoon about cute little creatures will automatically go to children. Oh, and voice actors. The good thing about mangas/light novels is that you establish a voice for the character and it's unique with everyone else's. I've listened to a couple of radio dramas a few years ago about Pokemon Special and the voices were just not right.

I think I have a bunch of other reasons but I'll just... stop my rant there... haha.

Oh ya i wouldn't want them to suddenly turn the manga into the anime now as well ,its way too late for that, unfortunately.

And yah, i totally agree with you on the fanbase part.

LuckyShipper8816

Mewtwo and Red fangirl
    Years
    Hi!! Me ish a huuuge Special fan. =3 Me is only person here who love Luckyshipping. =3 </cutesy talk>

I really love the manga, because the anime is so boring!! I only watch because I have nothing else to do on Saturdays. I mean, how many times does Ash have to annoy me with his so-called wonderful Pikachu? There are lots of nice shippings in the manga. Everyone (yes, everyone) is interesting and unique and Team Rocket doesn't blast off when they lose a battle. And, of course, it's waaaay more hilarious. *thinks of Gold mistaking Bugsy for a woman* XD

I wouldn't want the manga to turn into an anime though, because I like the characters the way they are. I simply can't imagine all my faves with voices. I'd get harrible nightmares. T__T Besides, they'd remove all violence and maybe even the shippy parts so what's the use?

Heh. I talked too much. Sorry if you got bored!

Back