• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

¦Next Pro

Restarting.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    Map name: Nesia Village
    Hack name: Sentra Journeys
    Comments: As you may have seen in this map, i have changed my mapping style again, well i hope you'll like this one.;)
    Map:

Spoiler:

Well here goes.
    Tree Placement:
    7/10
    The tree placement is stunning. I see no errors here. (3 taken for shadows)
    Greenary:
    5/10
    The flowers bushes are placed awesomely. However, the ammount of flowers
    is bad. because it affects the colour of the map, too dull.
    Water:
    6/10
    Waters okay.. but its packed full of the same rocks.
    Paths:
    3/10
    The paths are poor.. the playability goes down for this matter.
    Playability:
    7/10
    I suppose I would enjoy playing events on this map.

Your first map was better in my opinion. Also one house dont look righht in my opinion.. the one ontop.
    ===========================>
    I've changed my mapping style. hope you likez.
    Map name: Improved Revior Town.
    Map from: Pokemon Fire Red.
    Comments: I have corrected the errors in the top Right. wth the tree Shadowz.
    Credits: Other Gamefreak games .

Map Rating/Review Thread

Bigboy

15 degrees off cool
    Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2012
    Map Name: Palmer basement

Map Game: emerald

Comments: This is where I plan for you to have your first battle with your rival.
    Map Rating/Review Thread

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
    Map Name: Saffron Rocket Base
    Map Game: FireRed
    Comments: This is an unconventional map (or maps) but I asked Cierra and she said it was okay to post it. This is where my hack is going to start out, in a Rocket base hidden in Saffron City. The room at the bottom is where the player starts. It fades out at the bottom because there are sprites standing in the way, so really the farthest down the player can go is next to that clipboard on the table; since the player will never see the bottom of the room, I never designed one. Also, once you leave the room, you're not supposed to get back into it, which is why there isn't any warp to take you back. And hopefully that covers all the main questions beforehand.
    Mapshot:

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Map name: Nesia Village
    Hack name: Sentra Journeys
    Comments: As you may have seen in this map, i have changed my mapping style again, well i hope you'll like this one.;)
    Map:
    Spoiler:
    Ready?
    Rating: I'll be nice, 4/10
    Tree placement, CANNOT BE ANY WORSE. Ontop of that, there aren't any shadows in the trees. The trees used do not fit the style you mapped with them. The lake, is physically impossible. Lessee here, shadows on all sides? Erm, no. Flower placement is not wonderful, but passable. Some of the block edits you did were done incorrectly, like the roof over the tree. The tree has a shadow there. There are no differentions with the grass placement. Playability is somewhat poor on this map too.

Paths:
    3/10
    The paths are poor.. the playability goes down for this matter.
    How?

*Ignores neos map*

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
    Years
    Map Name: Eastshore Village
    Hack Name: Pokemon DawnWhite (not in the forums, just somethn' I do, when I get bored :P)
    Rom Base: Pokemon Firered
    Comments: Don't bother saying the roofpallettes don't fit with the other pallettes, I simply haven't changed them yet.
    Map Shot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    Map Name: Eastshore Village
    Hack Name: Pokemon DawnWhite (not in the forums, just somethn' I do, when I get bored :P)
    Rom Base: Pokemon Firered
    Comments: Don't bother saying the roofpallettes don't fit with the other pallettes, I simply haven't changed them yet.
    Map Shot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread
    Well, the path is kinda dull placed. The flower placement is also a little so-so. The beach is very empty and... are those trees Overlapping?

¦Next Pro

Restarting.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    This is "Revior Town", and Its a Map for Pokemon Fire red.
    I've recently lost the Pokemon Guardian of the Sky Rom.
    And now, im on the restart. Wish me luck!
    Credit to Fangkingomega, for his complete johto tileset.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Blackpanfa

ROM Buster
    Years

Rating: 7.5/10
    Reasons: I like it. The only thing bothering me is the placement of the trees. They seem kinda scattered and 'gappy'. Otherwise it's a great map with exellent tilesets and a good use of space.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years

Map Rating/Review Thread
    looks good. The trees are placed well,okay flower placcement, only 1 tile error spotted(aside from tree shadding errors) and that is down by the lower corner by deep, unaccesable water where the corner of the rock hits the corner of the island. building placement is good and the only bad things I can find are:the path is too wide in some parts (which makes there be some empty space), the tile errors, and the rocks in the water aren't paced real well. all in all 6.5/10 good map

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
    Years
    Base: Clean Ruby Rom and some tiles imported from GS
    Map Name: Austere Desert
    Replaces: Route 130-131
    Spoiler:

I feel the maps are a tad lacking. I'm looking for some advice. Suggestions?
    You do know that the shading in the sand sucks, right?
    and...yeah it is lacking...A lot!
    I would add an oasis or something...everything is just...dull...
    Rating:5/10
    Why: it's IS lacking, but inserting those tiles, and making it into a map is very impresing:D

Larsie13

Map Game: FireRed

Comments: Just a map I made for someone's hack.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    I would add an oasis or something...everything is just...dull...
    Rating:5/10
    Why: it's IS lacking, but inserting those tiles, and making it into a map is very impresing:D
    There aren't any (visible) oasises because it's reminicent of Lakaman from GS (Austere means empty, anyhow) . But now that I think about it, I should insert some desert plants or bones. Thanks for the rating, anyhow...

There's an invisible oasis in there that leads to a legendary Pokemon though. I might add some more to make an interesting "dive" level.

Back to work, I guess XD

On Larsie's map - There's not enough contrast between the colours. Another thing, the map looks very difficult to navigate through. 5/10.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
    Looks like I was skipped.
    lol, I used to go to a church called soapstone.
    tile errors:
    found some shadding errors, but you can't count off too many points for that. No others I can see. 4/5
    tree placement:
    pretty good. mabey you should make ones that have vertical connectins insted of just horizontal. Not a big thing but every little piece helps;).
    nothing else I can really say... 9/10
    grass, flowers and bushes:
    bushes:
    not so good. generally your fine but in some places they just look terrible, like when there in the grass. If you want to go for that efect you need to add more thin trees and bushes scattered and flowers about.
    flowers:
    pretty good some of the best flower usage I've seen in a while:)!
    tall grass:
    you have good placement, but you need to make sure that your grass isn't all clumped up spread it out a little more.
    all in all 7/10
    playability:
    good, you can eventualy go most places in the map. 8/10
    river structure looks good but if you surf down the waterfall you could end up on a rock. also there also are a few things wrong with that river. like the river wouldn't open out like that aftre the waterfall.
    7.5/10 really good:).

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
    Map Name: Soapstone Falls
    ROM: Fire Red BPRE
    Hack: Pokémon Enigma
    Credits: Nintendo

Mapshot: (Large map warning)
    Spoiler:
    Looks like I was skipped.
    Damn, how the hell did I skip this?
    This. Is. Awesome. Truly, it is an excellent map. It makes me hearken back to the days when I posted my first map in the MRT. This map really reminds me of that map. Although, now that I think about it, it actually reminds me more of this map. That river looked awfully familiar...
    Anyways, back to YOUR map. Man, where to start... Let's start with the trees. First of all, I see you have improved dramatically on your tree shadow....ing since I last took at one of your maps. I spotted on, though, directly west of the southern entrance. There are also a few questionable places like when you use small trees next to big ones and where a tree wasn't aligned with the other trees but those are more difficult and, to be honest, open for interpretation. On the topic of tree shape, a good friend of mine pointed out that your trees look square in some parts. For instance, if you enter the map from the north-western entrance, the trees to your left are really straight. There are some other block-like groups but it could be a lot worse. I'm also afraid that if you do, you'll be compromising playability for naturalness. Just stick with what you know :) There are also some other parts that are just too straight like in the southwestern corner. That row seems to straight although there's not really much you can do about that. Another instance of that is along the ridge at the far left side of the map, there's a long row of trees without any curvature.

Onto the mountains:
    Well I noticed one simple block edit that you made that is kinda hard to describe. Basically, when a mountain has a grass top, at the northern edge of the hill, you used the same block (but flipped horizontally) for the edges. I'm not in a position to show you a picture so I'll just point out that I made the same block edit in the map I linked above. Our maps appear more and more alike the more I write about yours. Anyways, the mountain shape is pretty good. A lot of it won't be seen in-game unless the player is surfing, though. One very blatant tile error in the mountains, however, would be south of the bridge where you used the bottom-left corner tiles of the mountain tileset incorrectly (they have the mountain tile as their background instead of the grass tile).
    Speaking of the bridge, it is nicely done although I have some suggestions. First of all, and this is merely a suggestion, I prefer the brown bridge tiles that are used in R/S/E. That's just my opinion and if you like those ones better, then you should stick with them but from their usage in FR/LG, they seem to be used as lower bridge tiles. Your bridge is several mountain layers above the water while in FR/LG, they appear to be more of a dock tile. Anyways, the only tile error I could find in the bridge is three tiles in from the western edge. You simply used the bridge-over-water tile instead of the bridge-over-water-with-ledge-on-the-left-side tile.
    Oh I almost forgot: I like the way you used the shadow of the bridge in the water. Although, again, I did the exact same thing in my map...

Vegetation:
    Well everything seems to be done decently. Nothing is terrible but it's not extraordinary either. The flowers almost always seem to be clumped in those little arrow-shaped groups. Having them in a close proximity isn't such a big deal but a little variation in the shape of them couldn't hurt. Another thing I would recommend is not using the bush tiles in the middle of a patch of grass (I'll comment on the tall grass placement later). You can use flower tiles in the middle of grass clumps but bushes are actual physical barriers, thus creating bottlenecks here and there which hurts the playability and, given the style of this map, that seems like an awfully important aspect of mapping to you.
    Tall grass placement is also decent although there's definitely room for improvement. Like I mentioned earlier, those bushes created obstacles in the grass which could prove annoying in-game. I really like that patch on the central hill that isn't required to pass through. I don't know what it is but it just seems very Nintendo-ish. One thing I wouldn't recommend is using tall grass in areas that aren't accessible. It makes the player believe that they should be able to access that area (or at least it does for me :)). The shape of your patches is great; they look natural but not too natural, if you know what I mean.

Assorted other stuff:
    GAH! You messed up the waterfall! I expected more from a mapper of your caliber. I would suggest taking a look at some Nintendo® maps with waterfalls, such as Cape Brink, to see how they should be done correctly. It appears that you have the correct usage of the water edge tiles but you need to work on the actual waterfall (which is surprising as usually it's the other way around).
    I only spotted one use of the hidden berry tile which was disappointing. This map seems like the perfect map to hide goodies and I expected more little secrets to be found scattered around the map. Hopefully by the time this goes into a map, you will have improved in that area ;)
    As for border errors, this map is possibly exempt from that restriction as it has connections on all sides. However, judging by the fact that you have two different entrances/exits on the northern side, I'm assuming you will be connecting it to two different maps and probably offsetting them. If that is the case, you might end up having border problems at the place where the river is closest to the northern border in the center of the map. Other than that, you seem to have handled that issue very well.

Well, I'm running out of things to say here. I could write a whole lot more if I really wanted but I'd probably end up repeating myself and that's just boring to read (as if this isn't boring enough as is). Well, hopefully you'll take all the things I mentioned into consideration and incorporate them into your hack. I'll be keeping an eye out for more work from you ;)

Yours truly,
    Colcolstyles

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
    I was skipped too. Oh well, it's not an amazing map. It'll probably get 3 or something...

Yeah 3/10. Sorry but the map is plain and has a bring feel.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please rate this map.

Name: Bayleaf Harbour
    Game: Pokemon Fire Red

Credits to me, Green Charizard, Pounder_Zeikku, Kyledove for tiles.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back