• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
    Years
    heres a nice natural looking version of newbark town i was bored so i thought id do something simple

Map Rating/Review Thread
    I like the tiles but the map...

you tryed...but there is TOO MUCH space in the town...I mean:
    Imagine yourself walking 2 km to your neighbor...Make it smaller!
    Rating: 7/10

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    lol ye i know but i wanted to keep it similar to the origional

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    it looks like i was skipped i could really use an oppinion on this one

Why, why did you shrink it? All of the detail is lost! I have to squint to see it clearly.

I think it looks fantastic, like some kind of paradise. (That might be the effect of the shrinking, or the nice palette). It's a very complex route, which I like. The player is going to have a hell of a time making their way through this labyrinth, but I'm sure they'll enjoy the scenery. The rock tiles transitioning into to grass tiles - is that something from Gen IV? I've never seen it before. I think it would look better if the U-shaped curves on those tiles bent the other way, since grass grows on top of rock, not the other way around.

I agree with Raziel that the mountain slopes are too straight, but it doesn't jar on me too much. The overall togopraphy is very plausible. Most of the map looks natural - the tree placement, the tall grass patches, the ponds and the rocks. The little fence by the purple house is a nice touch.

Two things that bug me: the T-shaped bridge on the far left. These bridges are suspension bridges. I don't think that T-shaped suspension bridges even exist. Thinking about it makes me dizzy. And the pond that empties out as a waterfall. Its elevation is far higher than that of the surrounding land, which is kind of strange since rivers tend to erode the riverbeds.

So, I guess 9/10.

Map Name: Trillium Town
    ROM: Fire Red BPRE
    Hack: Pokémon Enigma
    Credits: Xiros - tiles, rhevarhe_duh - tiles, pey! - tiles

Mapshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

I was messing around with some different tiles and I thought I would remake one of my old maps with them. What do you guys think?

It's the starting town, right? I don't have a lot to say about it. No-one hangs around in the starter town, and not much is expected of it.

That dirt path looks yummy. You have good taste. The flowers are a nice change from the usual.

The 2x1 trees look a little out of place due to the texture. The round bush at the end of the top fence is also kind of strange - bushes are used for landscaping, so why is it at the end of the property? But I'm just being picky.

The only thing that really bugs me is how close the forest is to the town. It gives me a sense of claustrophobia. Littleroot Town is much more open in comparison.

Last edited:

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Why, why did you shrink it? All of the detail is lost! I have to squint to see it clearly.

I think it looks fantastic, like some kind of paradise. (That might be the effect of the shrinking, or the nice palette). It's a very complex route, which I like. The player is going to have a hell of a time making their way through this labyrinth, but I'm sure they'll enjoy the scenery. The rock tiles transitioning into to grass tiles - is that something from Gen IV? I've never seen it before. I think it would look better if the U-shaped curves on those tiles bent the other way, since grass grows on top of rock, not the other way around.

I agree with Raziel that the mountain slopes are too straight, but it doesn't jar on me too much. The overall togopraphy is very plausible. Most of the map looks natural - the tree placement, the tall grass patches, the ponds and the rocks. The little fence by the purple house is a nice touch.

Two things that bug me: the T-shaped bridge on the far left. These bridges are suspension bridges. I don't think that T-shaped suspension bridges even exist. Thinking about it makes me dizzy. And the pond that empties out as a waterfall. Its elevation is far higher than that of the surrounding land, which is kind of strange since rivers tend to erode the riverbeds.

So, I guess 9/10.

It's the starting town, right? I don't have a lot to say about it. No-one hangs around in the starter town, and not much is expected of it.

That dirt path looks yummy. You have good taste. The flowers are a nice change from the usual.

The 2x1 trees look a little out of place due to the texture. The round bush at the end of the top fence is also kind of strange - bushes are used for landscaping, so why is it at the end of the property? But I'm just being picky.

The only thing that really bugs me is how close the forest is to the town. It gives me a sense of claustrophobia. Littleroot Town is much more open in comparison.

i didnt actualy shrink it :D thats just how the image came out

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2022
    Well the image attached explains it all i guess..
    (Sorry for asking..)
    Does anyone know a tut for editing the grass animations? Cuz well, as you move they go back to the old ones..:P

I guess i made it .. too nintendo-ish

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I'm new to this, and I've been really blown away by some of the stuff you guys have done. I don't have any of the special tiles, but I tried to make due with just using standard emerald stuff.

Map Rating/Review Thread

I just made this as a practice to see what tips I could get. I can't seem to plan ahead well enough to make things as cool looking as these... although then again I did just make this for no purpose other than to be posted here. I find myself having trouble trying to make things realistic looking, as you can see it's really square in the grass etc.

Anyway... it's a small town (sorta, but are any of them really big enough to be towns lol) set next to an old mine or cave or something, basically just to serve as a rest-stop before you go in. I figured the cave would take you to the north, and the top is how you come back.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I haven't posted here in forever. :D

So, here goes..

Map Name: Ommakuro Forest
    Map Game: FireRed
    Comments: The long pathways all have warps. It's like those forest entrances, where you warp and you're halfway onto a path. Mmkay? This will actually have no connections, so there won't be any connection problems.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

I've been skipped, sadly. >>

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I've been skipped, sadly. >>
    Well... I would give it a 10, but I must be really easy to please compared to the others.

The trees are spaced out realistically while still blocking the player from going where he shouldn't. Same thing with the grass. Is the top right area seperate, or does the forest loop around or what?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Well... I would give it a 10, but I must be really easy to please compared to the others.

The trees are spaced out realistically while still blocking the player from going where he shouldn't. Same thing with the grass. Is the top right area seperate, or does the forest loop around or what?

Well, that's a separate entrance to the forest from another route, and it leads up to a deeper section of the forest. (goes in through the right, and goes out through the top).

Also, reposting my map on this page to catch more attention.. ^^

I haven't posted here in forever. :D

So, here goes..

Map Name: Ommakuro Forest
    Map Game: FireRed
    Comments: The long pathways all have warps. It's like those forest entrances, where you warp and you're halfway onto a path. Mmkay? This will actually have no connections, so there won't be any connection problems.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I'm new to this, and I've been really blown away by some of the stuff you guys have done. I don't have any of the special tiles, but I tried to make due with just using standard emerald stuff.

Map Rating/Review Thread

I just made this as a practice to see what tips I could get. I can't seem to plan ahead well enough to make things as cool looking as these... although then again I did just make this for no purpose other than to be posted here. I find myself having trouble trying to make things realistic looking, as you can see it's really square in the grass etc.

Anyway... it's a small town (sorta, but are any of them really big enough to be towns lol) set next to an old mine or cave or something, basically just to serve as a rest-stop before you go in. I figured the cave would take you to the north, and the top is how you come back.
    Well if they can repost after just a couple comments... OK fine I'll rate one.

I really like the look of Pokepal's map. I can see some similarities to the real route one, there are a couple things that I don't really like too much, overall very nice though. I'd say 8.5 or so. The small trees along the sides looks a little weird to me, and I think that's a sign on the left between 2 trees. It should be moved out into the open so you can actually stand in front of it while you read it.

Lyzo

Back from vacation
    Years
    Map Name: Mior Canyon
    Game: Pokemon Torzach (Firered)
    Comment: Since it was made public on the thread I thought I should post it here as well :D

Spoiler:

AmusedRaccoon

Dilettante
    Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    This the first (and only, thus far) map to my name, so I'd really appreciate a rate. It's a starting town called Whitebirch Village, and it's at the top of a mountain. To the left is the first route, and to the right is the mountaintop proper, upon which sit a graveyard and some plot developments.

Also, all tiles are either original game tiles or made by me. :x

Map Rating/Review Thread

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2016
    This the first (and only, thus far) map to my name, so I'd really appreciate a rate. It's a starting town called Whitebirch Village, and it's at the top of a mountain. To the left is the first route, and to the right is the mountaintop proper, upon which sit a graveyard and some plot developments.

Also, all tiles are either original game tiles or made by me. :x

Map Rating/Review Thread

Ok, now here's a good map.
    Tree placement: This is one of the first things that caught my eye on this map. Tree placement is AWESOME. Looks really natural. 5/5. +1
    Mountains: They have a pretty good general shape but could have maybe a LITTLE bit more bends in them. Of course, this is also very good. 4.5/5
    House placement: House placement is AWESOME too. 5/5.
    Paths: Aahh.. Here is where you don't do so well. All the paths (though they are small) are straight. Make some a little more wavy and add some uniqueness to the path. 3.5/5
    Use of tiles: Good for the most part, as it's a snowy environment. Maybe you could add a rock or two and a bush of some sort though. 4/5.

Overall:
    92%. This is a stunning map. Very nicely done, tree placement is awesome, and looks natural for the most part. It is also very playable (though I didn't really rate you on that, as most maps are generally playable unless they're somehow over-natural.) Oh, and one more thing. The tree tiles are AMAZING. Nicely done!

Last edited:

AmusedRaccoon

Dilettante
    Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    @NeoNemesis:

Thank you so much! @_@ I was hoping for something positive, but you really made my day. Or night, really. Anyway, wow, that's appreciated as gently caress.

In my defense about the paths, though, they're straight because they have to be cleared by hand -- every few days at the least, due to the volume of snow. I wouldn't know this from experience, so I might be wrong, but I figured that the townspeople would be as efficient as possible with their hard work, and make the paths short and straight.

Now I feel like I'm arguing D:
    I just had to offer that excuse, because I did make the paths straight on purpose. ._.

Also, rocks are a good idea. Bushes I don't think I'll use, though, since I imagine it'd be quite difficult growing them up there. :O

Now then.
    Map Name: Mior Canyon
    Game: Pokemon Torzach (Firered)
    Comment: Since it was made public on the thread I thought I should post it here as well :D

Spoiler:
    I hardly feel qualified enough to review, but here goes.

The river is what caught my eye first -- but wait. Is it supposed to be a river, or a very meandering lake? You have it randomly start at one end of the canyon, which on second inspection looks a little unnatural. Worse, though, the other end of it seems to go under the mountainside or something -- and then also randomly stops. I can tell you're going for super-realism what with the trees and grass and mega curvy river-thing (and you pull it off very well for the most part, by the way), so those discrepancies looks really out of place.

I guess I'd recommend extending the river off the left side of the map, and then blocking it off with rocks or something. It's definitely up to you, though.

Also, this is going to sound a bit nitpicky, but the river is almost too curvy. In real life, the curviness of a river depends on its speed -- slow rivers get blocked by a lot of things, so they're forced to change direction fairly often. Fast rivers, on the other hand, power through most obstacles, so they're able to stay fairly straight. Also, the round parts of the river are usually widest, because whatever's blocking the water from going straight is also causing it to pile up on itself and spread outward. I'm just saying this because you might decide to make your river appear faster or something -- but again, it's totally your call. It really does look great as it is.

The grass, apart from taking on weird patterns sometimes (like some sort of Greek u-letter towards the middle, where the land on the top half of the map pushes down the farthest), looks like it would be pretty fun to wander around in. I'm a fan of not being forced to battle 30,000 wild Pokemon, so the sparseness of it is something I'd like to emulate. If anything, I'd recommend reshaping some of the clumps, especially where they form straight lines of four or five blocks. The trees I don't have much to say about -- they're quite overlookable, really; they never even impede your progress. It's part of the feel you're going for, I suppose.

Finally, the rock walls, which I do have a small problem with. If it's a canyon, that means it was carved out of the earth -- but it looks like you just piled the walls on top of each other. It's those little cracks that get me most of all, like at the very bottom left and to the right of bottom center, where the dirt/sand stuff is. Those bother me.

Anyway, overall, I like it. I think it's great, and I think it would be fun to run around in (although I hope you'd place some sort of goodie at the bottom left, or else I'd be pretty disappointed after exploring that far). As far as scoring... perhaps 8.5/10, mostly because of the river and those cracks in the walls. Great job. :D

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
    My PokeMaps

Okay, these are two new maps I've made tonight for a hack I'm going to start.

Title: PokeAcademy
    Game: FireRed
    Comments: The outside of a Pokemon Academy where young phenoms train.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Title: Sycamore Town
    Comments: The first town, where you start out at.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Let me know what I can do to improve!

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
    Years
    Okay, these are two new maps I've made tonight for a hack I'm going to start.

Title: PokeAcademy
    Comments: The outside of a Pokemon Academy where young phenoms train.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Tip i'll give you is when you finish a map, look at it and change it again, do whatever you can to make it look better.
    One thing I noticed is you experimented editting the tiles, please don't edit them, i'd rather you make your own than change nintendo's. The purple thing on the hedge makes no sense at all. Shape wise the map isn't very good, you put the houses and buildings next to fences and trees, making it look squishy, try space it out a bit to give it a better feel. Next is the trees are much to square, whenever I make a map I start the trees out in a square alignment, but then add more trees in the corners to make it look a bit more realistic. But don't sychronize it, try mix it up a bit. The random hedges you added to the small house in the corner is just silly, especially with those even more random ledges. Plus, if your making one house have windows, try make them all have windows, I don't like my room cause it has no windows, it starts stinking =P. Next thing is everything is too organised, it's ok to have a few things organised but not to have everything followed a single pattern, it's like maths, it's boring. The academy building in the corner doesn't have a top edge, make sure you know where all the tiles you need are. You used the tree shadows right, which is a good thing to see in hacks these days.

Practise makes perfect, don't let my post let you down, I tried not to make it like an anger speech : ).

Title: Sycamore Town
    Comments: The first town, where you start out at.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Let me know what I can do to improve!

One thing that caught my eye instantly was the misuse of the stairs, you only needed the bottom one because it's only one floor of mountain. The top one is used on the right side of the bottom staircase because it has no shadow. Again the mountain is too square in the corners, I don't like seeing right angle triangles all over the place. There are three random trees, ALL of which are on the egde of the mountain, if you wanted to give it a mountanous feel, you need to place the trees further away from the mountains, like the houses aswell, ALL touching the mountain, try space it out a bit more. The path looks okay, but their is too much space in the bottom left part of the map. If you spaced things out you could avoid this very easily.

Good luck on improving!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back