• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
    Years
    Name:tropical village
    rombase:Ray secret rombase..
    credit:Trebuh for palletes
    info:edited it to follow my own stlye of mapping..xD
    rate it..

Spoiler:

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
    Years
    Name:tropical village
    rombase:Ray secret rombase..
    credit:Trebuh for palletes
    info:edited it to follow my own stlye of mapping..xD
    rate it..

Spoiler:
    It's a overall good map, but something bothers me... The rpad and the tree placement seem kinda square.
    RATING: 8/10

Makorin

Ex-ROM Hacker
    Years
    Map Name:CherryGrove City Pokemon Ranch

Map Game:Firered

Comment(s):This was taken from my pokemon hack that I work on called Pokemon Heart Fire,In CherryGrove City I decided to put in a ranch,I cannot do new tiles...

Image:
    Either In this section or in attached files...

I cannot fix the mart for some reason

This is a remake of my old one

Rating: 0.5/10
    Beginner Rating: 1/10

Spoiler:

~Flaming Flarez~

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
    Map Name: Sangomi Town
    Game; Fire Red
    Comments: Just testing out my mapping I have to practice once in a while :3
    Please rate~

Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    Map Name: Route Idon'tknow
    Game: FR
    Comments: Boredom y/y? Psst, it's a nintendo style map btw xD
    Map:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
    Years
    Comments: Boredom y/y?
    Map:

Spoiler:
    There are tile errors with the bases of the trees, they should be the "shadowy" tiles. Also, there's too much open space in the map, try adding more flowers and bushes.
    The ledge is in a bad spot: If anyone were to jump down from it into the trees, they would be stuck.

Rating: 3/10

Years
    Map:

Spoiler:
    Not really a Nintendo style, only the grass placement is.
    Anyway, i don't think Nintendo made stupid mistakes by putting a bush near the jump cliffs.:P
    And Nintendo's mountains are abit more straighter, than the mountain on this map.
    Tree placement, is abit weird.
    But i liked it, cause you used the tree shadows.
    To finish this off, the flower placement isn't like Nintendo's.;)
    Ok, scince you tried a Nintendo style, I'll give this a 6/10.:)
    --------
    :t246:Larvitar Is A Sexy Beast ~

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Map:

Spoiler:
    This is actually slightly better than Nintendo style, so it's actually quite good. I found a bit of errors though. Munchlax™ pointed out one of them, which is the bush directly under the jump ledges, but you put the jump ledges next to the trees on two sides, you someone could possibly jump into the trees and be trapped. Not to mention that there are a bit of missing tree shadows. But all-in-all, this is a very well done map~
    Unfortunately, I'm going to have to give you a 5/10... Basically, because of the ledge errors took some points off, and the missing tree shadows got some points off, as well.

Neti

Inactive
    Years
    Map Name: Atlantica Route
    Game: Fr
    Map:
    Spoiler:

mfg,
    haefele
    damn that must have taken a very long time to make!
    awesome shape though it might a bit bugging to go through it
    the mountains look awesome besides the fact that they get flat at a certain level, but the player wont get to see that so...
    and youve put really nice details in like that regirock statue
    i kinda dislike the wind turbines cause the rotors are too small in my opinion but thats tile rating...
    didnt check for tile errors very detailed so there might be some, idk
    well done
    9/10

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
    Years
    Well heres a second shot at the map above.
    Different tiles are used. I'm using the trees that require four blocks wide so i was limited on the tree placement (i have about 3 empty blocks left in my tileset1 and about 7 8x8 pixel areas left in the image part)
    Map Game: FR
    ROM BASE: PHO D/P tiles base + Kyledove + MOP base for the mini tree and the pokemart/shop pallettes (pals 2&3)
    Spoiler:
    Can i get this one rated ?

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
    Years
    Well heres a second shot at the map above.
    Different tiles are used. I'm using the trees that require four blocks wide so i was limited on the tree placement (i have about 3 empty blocks left in my tileset1 and about 7 8x8 pixel areas left in the image part)
    Map Game: FR
    ROM BASE: PHO D/P tiles base + Kyledove + MOP base for the mini tree and the pokemart/shop pallettes (pals 2&3)
    Spoiler:

Okay, here goes nothing...

Grass Placement

The wild grass is much to far spread out. Personally, I don't like that style of grass placement myself, but I guess it is personal preference. But, when you place the wild grass in this manner, you must make sure that you force the player into walking through a good amount of it. You have to keep in mind that many people are lazy when it comes to wild battles and will avoid wild grass as much as possible. I went through this map and I found a route through this map that only requires me to walk over two grass tiles. I might not even see a wild pokémon at all on this route. Now, I am uncertain about the placement of trainers on this route, but I can safely assume that there will be at least a few. Their placement and view radius can definitely help you in this area, because the player may try to avoid the trainer even if they must walk through wild grass.

Score: 1/10

Flower Placement

From what I see, this is a common mistake that you've made that even the people that are considered good mappers make. Flowers do not, and I repeat, do not grow in random places by themselves. Flowers tend to grow in bunches in real life. But there is a wrong kind of bunching and a right way to bunch flowers. Here I will demonstrate the correct flower placement and the incorrect placement.

Correct:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Incorrect:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

As you can see, the placement of the flowers in the top picture are all placed diagonally from each other. Each flower does not touch another flower tile directly, but rather indirectly.

Score: 3/10

Small Tree Placement

To me, as I see it, your small tree placement is wrong. Although that is just in my personal opinion. First off, you lack consistency in their placement. Half of the map is just random placing of small trees by themselves. And then on the other side, you have them placed three in a row. While this is not necessarily wrong, I would not say that it is right either. It definitely does not look good and really adds nothing to the overall feeling of a map. Although I can't really put a definite correct and incorrect placement of small trees, I can suggest that to make them look more appealing, you place them in lines of two (horizontally or vertically) or place them in the shape of an "L". I feel that this placement looks generally better and usually gives the map a better feel.

Score: 3/10

Large Tree Placement

I really have no idea what you were doing when you placed these trees to be honest. Since these are the tiles that are wider than 32x32, you have to pick a way to place the branches. You just went every which way and some of them don't even have the extra side branches. If you are going to use these tiles, I suggest having the branches overlap on one side each time. Also, since you don't have many blocks left, I would avoid placing something next to one of these trees if they do not have the extra branch block edited over them. I also noticed that you have two different styles of trees that you are using and I also noticed that some of the trees on the map are "Frankenstein-like" in the sense that in some of the trees have parts of the opposite tree in them. I assume this was unintentional, so try to pay clos attention to what block you are using next time.

Mountains

I start looking at these from where they start in the bottom right and I think to myself, "Hey these aren't that bad." Sure they follow each other a little bit, but not so much that it looks bad. Then I come to where the stairs are and I sigh. The mountains went right from being pretty good to flat out terrible. They are just squares of rock jutting out to me now. And then, just as I thought it couldn't get any worse, it does. After the square bit there, they mountains just become a jumble of tile errors. Top edges are missing, blocks are edited incorrectly, and then for some reason the mountain edge is used instead of the grass edge on the upper right part of the mountains. The mountains should just be scrapped and redone in my opinion and even though the bottom right isn't horrible, it could still stand to use some fixing.

Miscellaneous

The paths are, to be blunt, terrible. They are square and while in some spots they actually make sense, in others they don't. By make sense, I mean that they are in a position of high traffic so that grass would be worn away by the many feet of travelers passing by. Like the bottom entrance to the map, it makes sense. People would be funneled into walking in that spot.

While I find the playability in this map to be fine, there are just some spots that are not right. You should always, always give the player more than one space to walk through, unless they are blocked by a cut tree or rock smash rock. You only made the mistake a few times, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Score: 4/10

Overall Score: 13/60
    Overall Score: 2.1667/10
    Overall Score: 21.6%

Now, do not by any means be discouraged by this score. I wrote out a very thorough rating to help you improve mapping. And I really hope this helps.

Whew! *Wipes sweat off of forehead*

[/mini-mapping tutorial]

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    Name:Torsei
    Tiles/rombase:Allen for rombase,wesley for the tiles,klyedove and my own tiles
    Info:NONE
    Rate it guys
    Spoiler:
    some tile errors in firered rocks should block darker water the water is empty try adding some islands or rocks the routes could use a lil work and most of the trees are good except for the ones south of the northern island.7/10

MASTEROFPUPPETS93

Liebe Ist Für Alle Da
    Years
    I think i'm gonna show you a couple of my really old maps =_=
    Maybe you know some of them ;)
    So let's begin:
    Map Name: Route ???
    Map Game: FireRed (GER)
    Credits: haefele
    Comments: This map actually isn't that old but in some days... hmm... yeah... i think it's 2 months ago that i made this one.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Map Name: Route 3
    Credits: Hackrex, Kyledove, Wesley FG
    Comments: Huuu^^ This is an really old one... It was a map of the first hack i mapped for which was called: Pokémon Azur | I think it was March or April i made that badass xD At this time it was the hardest map i've done ever... I was a totally n00b in those days ^,^ It was the first map i posted on PC :eek:
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Map Name: Ville Rachad
    Comments: I don't like it >:/ This one is a map of Pokémon Azur, too...
    I never liked this map oO I made it middle of March i think :/
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Map Name: ???town
    Comments: This was the first professional map i made :) It's the oldest of the 4 maps i posted now... I think it was February xD I'm not sure... I was really proud of this one :P I think it took 5 hours to do it^^
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

So please rate :)
    ~MOP

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
    I think i'm gonna show you a couple of my really old maps =_=
    Maybe you know some of them ;)
    So let's begin:
    Map Name: Route ???
    Credits: haefele
    Comments: This map actually isn't that old but in some days... hmm... yeah... i think it's 2 months ago that i made this one.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Map Name: Route 3
    Comments: Huuu^^ This is an really old one... It was a map of the first hack i mapped for which was called: Pokémon Azur | I think it was March or April i made that badass xD At this time it was the hardest map i've done ever... I was a totally n00b in those days ^,^ It was the first map i posted on PC :eek:
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Map Name: Ville Rachad
    Comments: I don't like it >:/ This one is a map of Pokémon Azur, too...
    I never liked this map oO I made it middle of March i think :/
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Map Name: ???town
    Comments: This was the first professional map i made :) It's the oldest of the 4 maps i posted now... I think it was February xD I'm not sure... I was really proud of this one :P I think it took 5 hours to do it^^
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

So please rate :)
    ~MOP
    first one 8/10 some tile erros and upen space
    second one 8.5 some trees are blockey and a lil empty
    thered N/A
    forth 9.5 awsome map best one routes could be a lil les straight

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    9/10

I like it, good remake of Goldrenrod. Only problem I see is at the top of the Radio Tower, the coast for the water cuts off before the water does. >: I will circle it if you don't see it.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Name:Torsei
    Tiles/rombase:Allen for rombase,wesley for the tiles,klyedove and my own tiles
    Info:NONE
    Rate it guys
    Spoiler:

This map has playability zero. if you have the HM surf, you can go wherever you want (west - east).
    However, you're improving and thats good. Try changing the paths, and the tree placement in front of the PC( and da fence) :P

And don't put too many rocks in a village like this...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back