• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    Nope. Try again.

Map Name: Antona Road (The equivalent of the first route)

Map Game: FireRed

Comments:
    First off, I know my grass placement sucks here. I'm not satisfied with it, but I can't get it to look good, no matter where I put it. To the east, there is a second route that leads to a city, the starting town is directly North of this route, and to the West there is a town which is not meant to be reached until later in the game (hence the rock smash rocks blocking the cave enterance).

Mapshot: Map Rating/Review Thread (Click for a full-size view)
    Ok, I won't even give you a number rating (Though, if I did, it'd be a 0/10. I don't rate for effort as you can tell.) until it's not square. Diagonal trees, dude. Small trees. Flower placement sucks, grass placement sucks as you know, mountain placement sucks (RANDOM MOUNTAIN IN MIDDLE OF GRASS ROUTE WTF??). Diagonal and random grass is how you do it. Put it in smaller bunches too. Connect the mountain to the edges of the map. More trees, more randomly (Square, one-tree thick borders suck. At least put another layer on the border).

Dratii

Working on something new...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    Map Name: Demford Pass.
    Map Game: Emerald.
    Comments: Been a while since I have mapped. Ignore the tree shading errors
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
    Spoiler:

Other than the tree shades, I would have to say that THIS is how a route should look.
    Looks great!
    The only oddity I see is that lonely flower just below that ledge.

Try keeping flowers somewhat bunched up, that is how real flower grow you know, heheh.
    7.5/10

0d'

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2014
    Map Name: None, just a town/village
    Comments: Just say what you like/dislike.. what should be better. P.s: this is my 2nd map
    Spoiler:

andyp159

Master of Fire!
    Years
    Map Name: None, just a town/village
    Comments: Just say what you like/dislike.. what should be better. P.s: this is my 2nd map
    Spoiler:

It looks too random and messy. Try thinking out your maps beforehand. Grass in a town isn't the greatest, unless there's a plot reason for it. However, the layout of the path and buildings is great, so work around that. The trees and grass is just a mess. Also, the big trees and little trees together don't work together.

4.5/10, good attempt for a beginner, needs practise (not as bad as my first maps!).

Now, my turn:

MAP NAME: Orthros City
    MAP GAME: POKEMON: WARPED (base = fire red)
    Spoiler:

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
    Years
    Map Name: Random Route
    ROM Used:
    Pokémon Emerald
    Hack Name: Pokémon Simulacra
    Comments: Here's something I've been working on. I had been working on this at about the same time that MOP was working on his tiles above, and we nearly have the same combination by chance. I guess you could call this a test. Natural mapping and playability together. O_O The grass placement isn't very natural looking, but I really hate how it looks when it's placed randomly. It doesn't look good in my opinion. No border errors because it is connected on every side. ^_^
    Credits: kyledove, Wesley_FG, newtiteuf, cope
    Screenshot:
    Spoiler:

ExitWound

Boggle
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2016
    It looks too random and messy. Try thinking out your maps beforehand. Grass in a town isn't the greatest, unless there's a plot reason for it. However, the layout of the path and buildings is great, so work around that. The trees and grass is just a mess. Also, the big trees and little trees together don't work together.

4.5/10, good attempt for a beginner, needs practise (not as bad as my first maps!).

Now, my turn:

MAP NAME: Orthros City
    MAP GAME: POKEMON: WARPED (base = fire red)
    Spoiler:

Well I like Od's map. I think the big/little trees work ok together in this map. The grass on the other hand as you said is a little too random and messy. And you don't normally have grass in towns. Another thing I noticed is that your trees don't have the right tiles. When you have trees right next to each other like you do, you have to make sure you can't see the grass under the trees. Look into that.

6.5/10

And for your map. I really like your layout of the buildings and how your road is formed. You have really nice flower and bush placement. The only thing I can see to change is some of the shapes of your clusters of trees. They look a little square =\

8/10

0d'

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2014
    Thanks for the advices guys, I'll be making another town map... hope it'll be better.

Magneto20

CoOmnipotent1of Pokemon:WARPED
    Years
    Map Name: Random Route
    ROM Used:
    Pokémon Emerald
    Hack Name: Pokémon Simulacra
    Comments: Here's something I've been working on. I had been working on this at about the same time that MOP was working on his tiles above, and we nearly have the same combination by chance. I guess you could call this a test. Natural mapping and playability together. O_O The grass placement isn't very natural looking, but I really hate how it looks when it's placed randomly. It doesn't look good in my opinion. No border errors because it is connected on every side. ^_^
    Credits: kyledove, Wesley_FG, newtiteuf, cope
    Screenshot:
    Spoiler:

Okay, here goes nothing...

The tiles are good, however I have a few nitpicks. It's too small, the jump hedge does not look right next to that one tile gap in the trees, and the lake is far, far too plain and squarish. More so, I believe the grass is TOO neat. It doesn't have to be placed randomly, it just has to have gaps here and there to not give the impression that a gardener is looking after the wild grass. :)

Score: Overall, nice map, 6/10.

Whew! *Wipes sweat off of forehead*

Last edited by a moderator:

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
    Years
    Spoiler:

I always love to see a map from you. As 0m3GA ARS3NAL said, this is how a route should look. I have to say, your path placement is wonderful. The only thing you really did wrong was flower placement, but you somehow managed to make it look correct anyways. I like the little stairway you put on the ledge. It just gives the map that little extra something to make it extraordinary.

9.5/10

Last edited:
    Years
    Antona Road Mk. 2

Map Name: Antona Road (The equivalent of the first route) [Revised Version]

Comments:
    I revised my map because of the criticism I received earlier. This took me a little while to do, and I hope it's better.

Mapshot: Map Rating/Review Thread(Click for a full-size view)

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years

Comments:
    I revised my map because of the criticism I received earlier. This took me a little while to do, and I hope it's better.

1. Mountain needs more layers and more diagonal connections.
    2.Diagonal trees block edit is useful.
    3. Paths need to be less wide and square.
    4. Flower placement sucks. Place them in TWO'S, diagonally.
    5. Grass on south side of map needed.

Overall Rating: 1/10

Years

Comments: I revised my map because of the criticism I received earlier. This took me a little while to do, and I hope it's better.

Ok here i go

Comments:
    Well this map isnt very good point blank im telling you now. The moutians are horrible try to make them have more turnes and flow then just putting them there. The grass isnt placed well at all its good to leave some room but you left way to much and its all spread out over the place wich dosent look good. The paths are to squareish make them like well i cant expalin how to put paths look at some other maps to see. The flower placement is just wierd they grow in bunches diagonaly.

Rateing 1/10 sorry

0d'

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2014
    Map Name: None, just a route
    Comments: Here's my third map... Much better comparing the 2nd one.
    Map Shot:
    Spoiler:

monkeyman2092

Aipom Awesome!!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2009
    Map Shot:
    Spoiler:

Hmmm... Well, I do like the usage of one-tile trees and how it wasn't overdone. I also like the grass placement. However, I can see the same groundtile was used for the whole map, so that's a blow-out. I do like, however, the fact that you used the Safari Zone buildings for the passthrough buildings. The rocks look very natural, like it really could've formed that way. The limited amount of water is okay, but not recommended.

I rate it a 7.7/10.

Keep up the good work!!

Magneto20

CoOmnipotent1of Pokemon:WARPED
    Years
    Map Shot:
    Spoiler:

Much better! However, two things:

1. Grass could still be a bit better, a bit denser, if that makes any sense. It's still a bit sparse and random, but improved from the last one.
    2. There's a tile map error on both stairs, the top bits need shadows too.

Nice map. 7/10

Dratii

Working on something new...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    Map Name: Eldain Pass.
    Map Game: Emerald
    Comments: Connects to the previously shown map. The separate ways at the start are for events.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Map Name: Eldain Pass.
    Map Game: Emerald
    Comments: Connects to the previously shown map. The separate ways at the start are for events.
    Spoiler:
    Wow, this map has some beautiful simplicity~ :D
    Everything works well with each other. A revamped Nintendo style really puts a Smile on my face. :) You are such a wonderful mapper, and it's too bad this isn't in any sort of hack/game... I would surely love going through this map, and you other map a few posts up over and over again! I seriously cannot find anything wrong with this, but just a few missing tree shadows. They aren't errors, they're just aren't there. (Don't know how to explain it any better...) Really nothing to be frantic about. Either way, it looks lovely~~~

Most people would say not everyone is perfect, but I disagree; 10/10
    Excellent job, Dratii! <3

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back