• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchel1

Rom-hacker/scripter
    Years
    I though I'll repost my previous post, because it wasn't rate ;)

Map name: Purity Forest
    Map from: Pokemon dark cry: the legend of giratina.
    Base:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Comments: well like I said this map is from Pokemon dark cry: the legend of giratina so don't steal it. Please ignore the border block and te empty places, those woudn't be able to see in-game. (Btw, I bet for 5$ you wouldn't find a map bug :P)
    Map shot:
    Spoiler:

Map name: Route 601
    Base:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Comments: well like I said this map is from Pokemon dark cry: the legend of giratina so don't steal it. Please ignore the border block and te empty places, those woudn't be able to see in-game.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

(Btw. Dark cry isn't dead, I'm only really bussy with personal life)
    Thats all people.
    -------------------------------------------
    Mitchel1

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
    Years
    I though I'll repost my previous post, because it wasn't rate ;)

Map name: Purity Forest
    Base:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Comments: well like I said this map is from Pokemon dark cry: the legend of giratina so don't steal it. Please ignore the border block and te empty places, those woudn't be able to see in-game. (Btw, I bet for 5$ you wouldn't find a map bug :P)
    Map shot:
    Spoiler:

Map name: Route 601
    Base:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Comments: well like I said this map is from Pokemon dark cry: the legend of giratina so don't steal it. Please ignore the border block and te empty places, those woudn't be able to see in-game.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

(Btw. Dark cry isn't dead, I'm only really bussy with personal life)
    Thats all people.
    -------------------------------------------
    Mitchel1

For the first map,i really like it..it is almost perfect..but imo,you can add abit more trees..i rate it 9/10

The second map,what i like is the tree plcement..the mountain is good too..i rate this 10/10

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2014
    My turn I guess:

Base Rom: FireRed
    Hack Name: Orange Storm
    Tiles: Firered.

Spoiler:

This map leads from the First Gym City to the 2nd, including an early rival battle at the beginning. The higher levels of the cave are blocked off until the player gets more badges. I know the corners on the south side of the mountain are not right, but they're so far over, the player will never see it.

Skipped the first time, so reposting it.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Map name: Route 609
    Map from: Pokemon Green sapphire version
    Base:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Comments: Well this first started off as practice thing i would do when i got bored and after a week i noticed how much i liked it so i decided to finnish it and put it into my hack!
    I know its kinda square... but look at the real games.... SQUARE! The route was supposed to look kinda that way anyway... IT WAS MY VISION @.@
    Oh yeah, could someone tell me if the pond looks a bit odd or outta place so i could fix/remove it!
    Also, im wondering if anyone thinks its empty?
    Mapshot:

Spoiler:

Lyzo

Back from vacation
    Years
    Map name: Route 609
    Map from: Pokemon Green sapphire version
    Base:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Comments: Well this first started off as practice thing i would do when i got bored and after a week i noticed how much i liked it so i decided to finnish it and put it into my hack!
    I know its kinda square... but look at the real games.... SQUARE! The route was supposed to look kinda that way anyway... IT WAS MY VISION @.@
    Oh yeah, could someone tell me if the pond looks a bit odd or outta place so i could fix/remove it!
    Also, im wondering if anyone thinks its empty?
    Mapshot:

Spoiler:
    First of all, you'd be a great Nintendo Mapper! It's very square, but since that's what you're going for I'd say this is a good thing.

This map gives me a Nintendo feeling except, it's better. It has more variety than Nintendo Maps have, which makes it look better than most other Nintendo maps.
    What I especially like is the mix of all the different things together (flowers, rocks, bushes, grass). However you kinda overdid it with the bushes in the bottom left of the map (not such a nice playability).
    I also like how you placed the small fences and how you placed the paths, they go well with the rest of the map.

Now most people here hate Nintendo's mapping style, but the good thing about Nintendo's maps is their playability. And I actually like this map, despite my hatred for Nintendo Style.

The pond and the small mountain both look a bit out of place. The smaller rocks and the medium sized rocks however, give a nice feeling to the map, so keep that ;)
    The ledges in the bottom left corner of the map are kinda weird, but that has nothing to do with your mapping, that's just the tile...

Anyway rating (not taking points of because of squarishness :P) : 7.5/10

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Map name:Tandillo Route
    Map from: Pokemon Elemental Curse

Base:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Comments:Testing my new tiles with a new map
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments/Suggestions: Although it screws up the border block, It's much better than the last time. I don't like how you put the mountain though, while the tree's are Nintedo style, the mountains aren't and it makes a weird combination. And don't make the pathways too only one tile width, leave the player some space to move. And i noticed that you didn't use paths. They could add something to this (if there were space), believe me.
    Rating: 6.8/10

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Right, I love mapping caves now...

Name: Rockfall Cave
    ROM: Ruby
    Credits: Kyledove (Tiles and Pallettes)
    Notes: I hate mapping, but I like mapping Caves. It was originally a bit different, but now it is like this, so... Consider this the revised map, in a way.

Map:
    Spoiler:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Game: Emerald
    Comments: It was good in theory, but it just doesn't actually look very good. If you look closely at the way the lines move, it makes the shape of an R, with the river as an outline of the letter, which was basically what I was trying to do, and it does look pretty cool. I just think the bottom mountain looks kinda stupid. To be honest... I gave up on it and just rushed to finish as quickly as possible... so I'm mostly just posting to show off the map. I definitely would still appreciate some reviews though. Maybe I will get an idea to make it better from one of them.
    Still hoping for a lengthy review.
    Spoiler:

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
    Map Name: Darklurk Forest/Advent Orphanage
    ROM: FireRed
    Hack: Pokemon Aether
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Comments:Basically the first outside map of my hack, so rates?

Credits: WaH for tiles, Zelda series for the fence, Kyledove for the house.

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Nice Tiles.
    Goes Well with Borders.
    Playable.
    Good to look at.
    the ledges near the house dont look right tho.
    And I can a couple of tile-errors.
    9/10

mitchell114

Owner of Pokemon Yango version
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    Overall the map looks good but I don´t like te house, and the fences doesn´t fit in a pokemon hack. 7.0

Years
    Map:
    Spoiler:

I quite like this map.But the player can avoid grass.9.5/10
    Volcana path remake
    Name:Volcana Path
    Game:Shadow Blast
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Comments:Nobody liked my old Volvana Path much.This one looks more like a mountain path.There's a new cave here,which leads to Victory Cave.Up the top leads to Mt.Volcana,and going down leads to Flare Town,where the Pokemon Heatran is obtained.The house is lived in by-The Ghostbusters.For some reason,they'll trade you Haunter for Gyarados.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years

I quite like this map.But the player can avoid grass.9.5/10
    Volcana path remake
    Name:Volcana Path
    Game:Shadow Blast
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Comments:Nobody liked my old Volvana Path much.This one looks more like a mountain path.There's a new cave here,which leads to Victory Cave.Up the top leads to Mt.Volcana,and going down leads to Flare Town,where the Pokemon Heatran is obtained.The house is lived in by-The Ghostbusters.For some reason,they'll trade you Haunter for Gyarados.

xD, I guess I'll return the favor

Well, it is certainly better than your last maps, as you are improving. Their are borders errors at the top as I think it would be cumbersome to not have a big exit, and the mountain it self, if you plan to have a different border than the previous map.Tile errors wise, you have some errors on the mountain when the walls (?) of the mountains meet. You're grass placement needs to be rearranged, as the player can simply walk through the path to get from one side to another. The path should be interrupted with some grass or barrier for the player to go around. The mountains have a nintendo style, which is good or bad depending on your opinion. Your use of flowers could lessen also, as the occasional one or two degrade form the map, between the patterns look good if there's a reason for it

Overall, I give this map a 5.5/10

Hohoo

SOMG!1
    Years
    Map name: Purple Path - Red Isle - Dewy Island
    Hack: Pineapple (working title)
    ROM: Gold
    Comments: Purple Path is the top right area with the bridges and small islands. Red Isle is the little town in the middle. Dewy Island is the big island with the forest and one house.

There are some still some border errors but please don't mind them.

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Map name: Purple Path - Red Isle - Dewy Island
    Hack: Pineapple (working title)
    ROM: Gold
    Comments: Purple Path is the top right area with the bridges and small islands. Red Isle is the little town in the middle. Dewy Island is the big island with the forest and one house.

There are some still some border errors but please don't mind them.
    I have no clue if this map is good by GSC standards, but I love it. The layout is perfect, but there's a couple minor things that I'll point out. They aren't really actual mistakes or anything though.

First of all, it seems a little weird to make the town on such a tiny island, and then have no trees or anything on the island. Maybe make it a bit bigger on the right with some grass or something?

Also, the area in the top left with the entrance to the forest seems like it might be a little bit hard to find. You should make the water entrance a bit more defined imo. And finally, are you sure that's how you're supposed to do the bridges? It looks weird to me.

That's all I really have to say though, since I don't really know what's good or bad in GSC mapping. I will say that I love the GSC tiles though, and you'd be hard pressed to make a map for it that I didn't love. I think this one is especially good tho cuz I like all of the little secret spots and stuff lol.

Hohoo

SOMG!1
    Years
    I have no clue if this map is good by GSC standards, but I love it. The layout is perfect, but there's a couple minor things that I'll point out. They aren't really actual mistakes or anything though.

First of all, it seems a little weird to make the town on such a tiny island, and then have no trees or anything on the island. Maybe make it a bit bigger on the right with some grass or something?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to extend it.

Also, the area in the top left with the entrance to the forest seems like it might be a little bit hard to find. You should make the water entrance a bit more defined imo.
    Spoiler:

And finally, are you sure that's how you're supposed to do the bridges? It looks weird to me.
    Could you explain a little? Do you mean the connections between land and the bridges, the shape or the tiles?

That's all I really have to say though, since I don't really know what's good or bad in GSC mapping. I will say that I love the GSC tiles though, and you'd be hard pressed to make a map for it that I didn't love. I think this one is especially good tho cuz I like all of the little secret spots and stuff lol.
    Well, GSC tiles are a little harder to work with than Gen III tiles, as one tile consists of four 16×16 tiles (Gen III tile size). And then there are not many available tiles, so it's hard to make something like Sevault Canyon. But on the other hand, I have no experience with Gen III hacking.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    New Bark Town on Pokemon Gold

Map Rating/Review Thread

Original

Map Rating/Review Thread

On Pokemon Gold

I know it doesn't look exactly like it. Somethings are sitting in different spots then on Ruby but I was using Gold Map and both GBC and GBA games have different pixals/palletes to them.

Also I'm still kinda new to doing this. This will be for a hack I'm starting on. I'm making Pokemon Ruby for GBC.

Last edited:

Hohoo

SOMG!1
    Years
    New Bark Town on Pokemon Gold

Original

[IMG]
    On Pokemon Gold

I know it doesn't look exactly like it. Somethings are sitting in different spots then on Ruby but I was using Gold Map and both GBC and GBA games have different pixals/palletes to them.

Also I'm still kinda new to doing this. This will be for a hack I'm starting on. I'm making Pokemon Ruby for GBC.[/QUOTE]
    It's really nice to see someone else make maps for Gold! I'm tired of all those FireRed maps... Just kidding!
    (Fun fact: My first project was Sapphire on GBC.)

Anyway. First, the player's and rival's home has always been a two-storey building. (Unless it's not one in your hack.) The smaller ones are better for NPC houses.

Secondly, the flowers are all over the place. Consider placing them in little "patches" with a few flower tiles in one place.

Sign and tree placement are good.

I give this map a 7/10.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back