• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
    I have to post again - only got one response..
    ------
    Map Name:
    SavageGuard - Shade Forest
    Rom:
    Fire Red
    Hack:
    Galactic Platinum
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Map Name: Palmcoast Lagoon
    ROM: Fire Red BPRE
    Credits: kyledove, Wesley FG, zein
    Comments: I thought I'd try my hand at water route mapping, since I've heard it's difficult to make them interesting to play.

Spoiler:

As much as I want to like it, it seems too crowded beach wise to be a water route. I'm fine with a small beach or two, but all of the big, narrow beaches are just overdoing it. It is much more fine as a shoreline map than an actual beach one, since you don't see beaches all over the oceans like that. It seems like there is a bit too much 1x1 rocks, but maybe it's because you mixed two styles that don't go well together in my eyes. I think peppering in a 2x2 rock would make it a bit better, as long as one or two other small rocks are taken out. I'd say something about the mountains for being linear for the most part, but it's just your style of mapping. I don't really care about it since you didn't mention that this map was supposed to look natural. Other options like tides and small bridges would be nice, but don't make the whole map. You need to put more rocks in the middle of the ocean. It looks really iffy when the only rocks are to prevent border errors, and they are in clumps at that. One last thing before I wrap this up. The water edges. I think it would be much better if the borders were the dark water tiles, since they have no purpose in Firered. It looks okay, but I know that you can do better than that.
    For that, I will give it a 6.5/10.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    Map Name: None. Just some outpost/town type thingy.

Map Game: Emerald

Comments: I've never liked making towns, so I usually map caves or routes. I just never like the way my towns turn out, but this one's ok I guess. I made this one specifically to connect 2 other routes that I had made. I might post the whole thing once it's done, but if not, it goes something like this: Starting town -> small route -> cave -> big route -> this town -> another big route -> small route -> large city. I've only made the 2 big routes, the town and the 2nd small routes, so I dunno exactly how it'll end up being yet. (If I even make the whole thing. Not like any of it's gonna be used in a hack or anything.)

I actually thought that the shape of this was perfect to just be a normal route, while keeping the house on the right as a sort of pseudo-pokemon center. I tried making it like that, but I just couldn't get it to look right, so I left it as a town. Another part that I couldn't get looking right was the very middle, where there is a gab between 2 large paths. It looks way better this way, but it's fairly unrealistic... in the end, I just decided to make up a story to go along with it, instead of trying to connect the paths properly.

The story goes: When you first get to the town, you would heal your pokemon (which means you enter from the bottom), then try to continue on, and find that the path has been blocked by some sort of rock, or landslide or something, I dunno (in the grassy area in the middle of the map, between the paths). After that, you have to go back and do something else, and they will clean it up so you can go through in the meantime. Generic plot event really, but it fixed the problem for me lol.

Annnyyyywaaayyy. Towns are really new to me. This is basically the first one I've ever done. (... sorta, but I kinda sucked back then lol.) So, please give me some detailed reviews on how I can improve.
    I'm gonna give it one more try. I wrote three paragraphs describing the map, and have posted it twice. Any ratings at all?

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
    Map name : none
    Game : ruby
    Comments : How should I improve.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    Rom Base: Pokemon Ruby AXVE
    Hack Name: Sea of Dreams
    Map Name: New Kanto's "Route 1"
    Extra Comments: The bushes of leaves are able to be searched for. There are 2 in the maps with items in them and really rare ones with lost pokemon! Also this is a hybrid of the Route 1 in the anime and in the games.

Here it is
    Spoiler:

~Trebuh~

Jiggles, The legendary fairy
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    Map Name: GoldenArrow City
    Hack Name: None
    Rom Base: FireRed
    Comments: This is a map i made for hours,Which consists of the tiles included on the rombase iam making,Please rate it Honestly.
    Credits: Kyledove,C.N.C, Alucus of Borg, Saurav,
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    @ Panda
    I really like the map, I assume there will be trainers along the path to the right?
    The only problem I have is the dirt tiles next to the north west part of the lake, if it was me, I would just make it grass.

@~Trebuh~
    I also like this map. The only thing I would change is to get rig of the wierd loop in front of the west green building. The road between the west staircase and the north path could be made a bit more clear as well, I would make it that brown rock tile you used on the next tier down. A path on a cliff like that would probably be worn down to rock if it is used very often.

Now, My map:
    I am still working on the rest of the town, and I will probably end up shrinking the map a bit. There is a rock slide as you step on the tiles to the south of the stairs as you try to get to the north road and the gym.
    The rock slide event consists of an earthquake special, then a fade out, the tiles are set and the map is reset, then it fades back in revealing the rock slide.
    The rock slide blocks off the path, but opens up a cave. As soon as you enter the cave, the rock on the to the left of the people disappears so you can get back off the mountain. Give the guy something the screen fades out and in and the gym is accessible. After the gym, most of the remaining rocks are removed.

Finally, could someone who made their own tileset please PM me, I have a couple of questions I would like to ask about how to go about creating the tileset.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    Map Name: GoldenArrow City
    Hack Name: None
    Rom Base: FireRed
    Comments: This is a map i made for hours,Which consists of the tiles included on the rombase iam making,Please rate it Honestly.
    Credits: Kyledove,C.N.C, Alucus of Borg, Saurav, Deviation
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    You know what I'm going to say?
    Too bad for making it in the 'natural style'. Otherwise it would be perfect, but that's just me.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    I'm gonna give it one more try. I wrote three paragraphs describing the map, and have posted it twice. Any ratings at all?

I really like this map. The shape of the dusty path, and random rock outcroppings, and the spaced bushes give it a very natural feel. It reminds me of chapparal. xD So, don't change any part of the scenery. However, it doesn't really look like a town. There are just too few buildings for that. Plus, the buildings are spread out /along/ the route, rather than forming a clump beside it the way towns normally do. The path here looks like the main thing.

I think you should go with your original plan of having one house be a pseudo-Poke center. There's a house like that by the Hoenn desert. Maybe you could just rip it off directly? All it takes is a patch of flowers and a beaten-down spot by the door. Maybe a mailbox.

Rom Base: Pokemon Ruby AXVE
    Hack Name: Sea of Dreams
    Map Name: New Kanto's "Route 1"
    Extra Comments: The bushes of leaves are able to be searched for. There are 2 in the maps with items in them and really rare ones with lost pokemon! Also this is a hybrid of the Route 1 in the anime and in the games.

Here it is
    Spoiler:

I love this map. Dislike the tiles, love the map. It's great that, when going north, the player can avoid some of the tall grass. And the swirly path? ADORABLE.

The one thing that annoys me is the shape of the lake. The edges of the west and north sides are completely straight. Looks like you got lazy there. :P

Oh, another thing. The fluffy bushes that you say can be searched - so, you can't walk through them? They're like obstacles? Because the way they've been placed on the route is rather random and obstructive, as though they were flowers. There's one above a short ledge that might be blocking access to it completely. I think it would be better if all of those bushes were adjacent to trees.

Last edited:

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    @Rabbit: Here is an updated version, and this is Route 1 from the anime/Firered etc. It is a hybrid between both's versions as the anime had a lake in it. The bush also you noticed, yes you cannot walk through them, but it does not block the ledge since you can walk under the tops of trees, I also put these where lots of trees were as they are accumulated leaves

Final:
    Spoiler:

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    @Panda: Wow, that lake is very, very, blue. Painfully blue. Seriously.

It doesn't look like you changed too much. I liked the signs better before, but the lake edges are nicer now.

If the bushes are accumulated leaves, why is there one to the right of the path alongside the lake?

Larvitar170

Noobie hacker
    Years
    There is something bugging me about this map, and I can't place my finger on it.

I do like the natural feel of the trees, a lot in fact.

Truth be told, it feels more like a route with houses and a pokemon center, but no grass.

Keep trying though, cause there is promise. Maybe make the map bigger, and some houses, and maybe not have them so spread out, so it really looks like a community and not hermits that happen to be near each other.

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
    Map Name: Powderfall Town
    Hack Name: Secret :P
    Rom Base: FireRed, Neti's
    Comments: This map is for map of the month, but I posted it here first to get some feedback. I focused more on the playablility than making it pretty- and originally there was going to be an Articuno statue where the trees were, but I had trouble inserting it. The holes lead to a cave map underneath the town with even more puzzles, and the cave to the north leads to a peak, where Articuno resides. If I include it in my hack, it will most likely be the Eight Gym. And yes, you fight the leader on top of the gym :P I've always liked the idea of making a vertical gym where you go up stairs until the top.
    Credits: Neti, dshayabusa, Fangking Omega

Spoiler:

Also, if you have more time, I would like more rates on my last map:

Spoiler:

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    Map Name: Powderfall Town
    Hack Name: Secret :P
    Rom Base: FireRed, Neti's
    Comments: This map is for map of the month, but I posted it here first to get some feedback. I focused more on the playablility than making it pretty- and originally there was going to be an Articuno statue where the trees were, but I had trouble inserting it. The holes lead to a cave map underneath the town with even more puzzles, and the cave to the north leads to a peak, where Articuno resides. If I include it in my hack, it will most likely be the Eight Gym. And yes, you fight the leader on top of the gym :P I've always liked the idea of making a vertical gym where you go up stairs until the top.
    Credits: Neti, dshayabusa, Fangking Omega

Spoiler:

Also, if you have more time, I would like more rates on my last map:

Spoiler:

Lots of detail in the first map. I really like the pavement recolour. The ice puzzles look like they're quality stuff, though going through them makes my head hurt.

The houses seem too far spread out for this to be a city/town. Really, the ice seems to take up as much space as the buildings and pavement. And the south-west area is rather empty, which bugs me.

I don't like the second map as much. First, it's your palette - the contrast is quite low, and the different levels of rock lack outlines, so it's difficult to see the elevation. At first glance it looks like just brown. Second, the buildings are reeeally far apart, and there are no paths between them. It's less like a town and more like a mountain with a few buildings dropped onto it. Plus, the feel of the place is off. If you want to have a mountain town situated on bare rock, it should have a rustic feel. Anyone bothering to put up a modern building like the gym or the pokecenter would have levelled the area, first, and put in straight streets. Your lamplights feel very out of place. Some of them are in places the player can't even reach, so what are they meant to be illuminating?

andyp159

Master of Fire!
    Years
    Map Name: Unnamed town
    Map Base: Fire Red
    Comments: I realise the cave creates a boarder error. I made it do that you cannot see error from playing the game, so please don'r rate it down for that. Constructive criticism welcome.
    Thanks.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Larvitar170

Noobie hacker
    Years
    Map Name: Unnamed town
    Map Base: Fire Red
    Comments: I realise the cave creates a boarder error. I made it do that you cannot see error from playing the game, so please don'r rate it down for that. Constructive criticism welcome.
    Thanks.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

I do enjoy this map. It feels very Nintendo, and I enjoy Nintendo maps. The rocks by the PC and the far right house seem strange, as do the triangle patterns of each set of flowers. I don't know if it can be seen in-game, but there would be another border error with the skinny tree on the top. If you were going for Nintendo feel, great map. If going for natural....no so much. Looks cool though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back