• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Name: Forest Hill
    ROM: Ruby
    Game: None
    Comments: I tried something with the ledges to hide the fact that I don't have tiles for grassy tops of mountains.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Only problem with that is if you walk into the ledge, you automatically jump over, regardless of the movement permission of the tile underneat.

Why do you need grassy tops of mountains, anyway?

The map otherwise is okay, but the ledges take up too much of the little space there is and the grass patches are pathetic.

Collen

I have returned.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    ROM: Fire Red

Name: Twin Isles

Hack: None really.

Credits: Me, for respriting tiles.

Basicly two maps with a fresh nature, the cave has the MT.EMBER tiles inside, so it is
    heating up the islands and the water.
    That's quite nice, i really like what you did with the crater in the middle of the island. Like the others have said, though, you need to make your spaces a little wider, so the player has room to walk.
    8/10.

~Poke~

Hasn't played 5th gen yet.
    Years
    Only problem with that is if you walk into the ledge, you automatically jump over, regardless of the movement permission of the tile underneat.

Why do you need grassy tops of mountains, anyway?

The map otherwise is okay, but the ledges take up too much of the little space there is and the grass patches are pathetic.

Ahh, I forgot to mention. You jump over, then you slide down the tile below it. Well, that's what would happen if it was in a game, anyway.

EDIT:
    Ok, I fixed it for you :D
    Map Rating/Review Thread

And a new map joins on:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Just noticed that slight mismatched bit, ignore it.

Last edited:

Pellas

Undercover
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2013
    Fair enough, here is the caves under the island.

Last edited:

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
    Years
    Ahh, I forgot to mention. You jump over, then you slide down the tile below it. Well, that's what would happen if it was in a game, anyway.
    EDIT:
    Ok, I fixed it for you :D
    Map Rating/Review Thread

And a new map joins on:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Just noticed that slight mismatched bit, ignore it.

wow, your maps are not bad, they are even good :D
    but you musn't forget the borders, you got many border errors in you maps, mainly in the second, that looks really bad in the game.....
    if not I don't know what I an yet tell you to improve......^^

rating:

map 1: 9/10

map 2: 7.5/10 coz of the many border errors :(

no my map:

map name: route 104

map game: pokemon forgiveness(ruby hack)

comments: this is only one half of the map, the other half which is above I cut It off coz it isn't completely finished, but rate anyway the first half of the map ^^

Map Rating/Review Thread

ps: don't pay atention on the stairs, I did a new stair tile but I did something wrong and now it looks like this-_-'
    but I'll fix it as soon as possible ;)

credits: Wesley FG rombase (but I also inserted many of my own tiles like the tree, the rocks, the sand.......^^)

OK, SO RATE PLZ!! THX A LOT :D

Last edited:

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
    Well, what can I say? I can never stay away from Rom Hacking '-__-

These maps I have made are meant for Saturn, for which i paused a month back because i had a lack of motivation, but have decided to start up because I now appreciate my work ^-^.
    Map Name: Balen City
    Map Game: Pokemon Saturn
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments:The region of which Pokemon Saturn is placed in nears the equator. Being hot and sunny as the equator is, I have combined the sunny nature of the equator with Pokemon, causing , in my opinion, the bright colors. The lack of organization in this city is due to the recent industrialization of the lower half of the nation. Also, if leading off to the left is the Balen Station, :3 enjoy =D

Map Name: Balen Station and Interior
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: This is Balen Station ;D. I get my partner in crime Ben. to mod wesley FG's port building (Don't steal!) Basically, this station is the southern half of Aloaya's exit to the rest of the world. The interior, i basically ripped from ruby :F. I love it though <3

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years

These maps I have made are meant for Saturn, for which i paused a month back because i had a lack of motivation, but have decided to start up because I now appreciate my work ^-^.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments:The region of which Pokemon Saturn is placed in nears the equator. Being hot and sunny as the equator is, I have combined the sunny nature of the equator with Pokemon, causing , in my opinion, the bright colors. The lack of organization in this city is due to the recent industrialization of the lower half of the nation. Also, if leading off to the left is the Balen Station, :3 enjoy =D
    Lol you triple posted.
    For Balen City
    Vegetation: 9/10 the trees, bushes, flowers, and weeds look great for the most part. They're out of the way, so it looks like the developers cleared all the major plants off of the paths (which is good) most of the flowers are bunched up and that's pretty good.
    Vegetation suggestions: I think the biggest problem with your vegetation is the flowers. They need to be just a little more clumped up. Also that one stray bush on the edge of the brick/city path really bugs me.
    Shape: 8.5/10 the shape of the city itself is great, but that small little path on the ocean leading away from the city really irks me. It just doesn't seem right for a piece of land to go like that.
    Shape suggestions: add little layers below it and make it a bit wider. Idk what else, it just really turns me off this map.
    First appearance: 9.5/10 It looks wonderful at first glance, but nothing is perfect...
    First appearance suggestions: nothing you could do without some pallet changes...
    Tile errors: I don't count down a rating for having tile errors, I just say where they are. There is one on that long path that goes across the sea. It's to the right of the little sandy patch just before you go up the stairs. The water land transition just stops before it gets to the mountain.
    Path: 7/10 the paths are a bit iffy... you said that it was partially because it was just constructed, but that doesn't explain why there are little blocks of 2x2 bricks. Also sand and dirt paths don't mix (at least in my opinion) because I've never seen it happen naturally anywhere in real life. The roads on the upper part of town look good except for that one that is 2 tiles wide. You should think about making it three instead. Last but not least, why would they put down a different path in front of the p.c.?
    Path suggestions: take out those square 2x2 brick things, edit the dirt path tiles (or take it out all together), and decide on one type of city path instead of two.
    Ingame play: 9/10 it would be pretty fun to play around in this map. The variety of colors would make it so that it doesn't get real boring, and the tiles are well placed so that the player has to wind his/her way through the map.
    Ingame play suggestions: maybe add a few jump ledges? I don't know what else to say aside from adding a height change in the middle of the map.
    Water: 8.5/10 the shape of all the water is very nice, and there don't seem to be any problems with the player surfing off the map.
    Water suggestions: fix up the placement of the rocks. There are no rocks in the water in the bottom left, and the ones at the top right just look kind of weird.
    Grass placement: 9.5/10 I'll count if as if it was the beginning of a route down there. The grass looks great! It is clumped up yet it has little highlights in it. That allows it to have a nice patch of wild grass, yet not have a boring generic patch.
    Final rating: 8.75/10

After that I really didn't have time to rate the other one.

Years

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Ok lets see...the map are really good,i like it a lot,i dont see nothing wrong,but i think you can change the pallets of trees and grass tile a bit because are the same from Ozumas and Pey! i think.

8/10

Map Name: Balen Station and Interior
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: This is Balen Station ;D. I get my partner in crime Ben. to mod wesley FG's port building (Don't steal!) Basically, this station is the southern half of Aloaya's exit to the rest of the world. The interior, i basically ripped from ruby :F. I love it though <3
    This map not are bad,but the sea i see it empty...so fill it a little.

7/10

Now im going to show to you the first rute of my hack.

• Map name: Route 1
    • Map game: Pokemon Rainbow Horizon.
    • Map plataform: Pokemon Fire Red (PFR).
    • MapShot:
    Spoiler:

Please,comment and rate it!

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
    Ok lets see...the map are really good,i like it a lot,i dont see nothing wrong,but i think you can change the pallets of trees and grass tile a bit because are the same from Ozumas and Pey! i think.

8/10

This map not are bad,but the sea i see it empty...so fill it a little.

7/10

Now im going to show to you the first rute of my hack.

• Map name: Route 1
    • Map game: Pokemon Rainbow Horizon.
    • Map plataform: Pokemon Fire Red (PFR).
    • MapShot:
    Spoiler:

Please,comment and rate it!

Thanks for the rate, although, the tiles are Ozumas and Pey! I got them frrom wah :F

Now you're map is HAWTzors, as a image that is. The playability is near the floor :O. It's widest point being only five tiles wide, the player's don't get to see the beauty of your tiles. To improve this, the best plan of action would be to cut down on where the mountain juts out all the way that it reduces the player to only having one tile. Also, the four tile wide tree looks, really good, and i think should be the majority of tree cover, instead of being an extra :P.

Overall: 6\10 [Idea:8 Presentation:9 Playability :1 :'O]

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
    Years
    Spoiler:

I posted it 3 days ago and still noone commented and rated it :(
    just reposting hoping someone will rate it this time ^^

JY

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2015
    Map Rating/Review Thread

I like this, but the two grasses doesn't do it for me, i reckon is you made the HGSS one a bit lighter, and replaced the RSE grass with single squares of HGSS grass, that would look better. Plus, I think the water is a bit too cyan. Finally, I reckon the blue flowers need a more definitive outline.

Rating: 6.5/10

Spoiler:

I posted it 3 days ago and still noone commented and rated it :(
    just reposting hoping someone will rate it this time ^^

I like it, the beach could use more on it, and the random patch of water is a bit odd. You could change the layout of the grass, as from what I can see, you do not have to go through any unless you're going to the cave.

Rating: 7/10

Last edited:

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
    Years
    I like it, the beach could use more on it, and the random patch of water is a bit odd. You could change the layout of the grass, as from what I can see, you do not have to go through any unless you're going to the cave.

Rating: 7/10

yeah I see what you mean with the grass, I will change it, I will also try to enlarge the beach, if not the cave has an very important role in the map so you are obliged to go through that place in the game^^
    but I will anyway change the layout of the grass....
    if not the patch of water I did it like this for now till I will create new tiles, coz if there would be the events on the map you would see that 2 small kids have diged in the sand (and when we dig in the sand there is always water^^) and one of both kids will want to go in it and fall through, it will lead to another place, it will just hapen when you will go down the stairs to the beach, it is to show than this is a warp to anunderground, the is also there sth happening, in the same time you will also need to save the kid.....
    anyway you couldn't guess it so it's normal^^

well I will soon repost this map imrpoved and with also new tiles...
    for now, thx :D

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    Map Rating/Review Thread

HAYYYYY
    Ahem... I haven't mapped in a while, so... yah, here's a new map.
    Do not rate this if you're against nintendo style maps.. Oh and I'm adding tree shading later : D

Collen

I have returned.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    Rom Base: Pokemon Fire Red
    Hack Name: Pokemon Tri-Color
    Map Name: Orchard Road
    Comments:
    A road where natural wonders meat man-made wonders.
    At the right of the road is Eggie Farm, famous for their eggs... And their MooMoo milk!
    Near the farm is a maze-ish headge garden.
    When you first get there the farm will be closed because of a Psyduck problem. After you defeat the Psyduck, the owner of the farm will sell MooMoo milk. However, the Psyducks are still there. You will run into three more in the headge maze. Weather you battle them or not is up to you, but they're worth the experience.
    Boardering the road is the Topaz Desert, home to many desert-ish Pokemon.

Now, for the image (warning: the map is pretty big):
    https://img203.imageshack.us/img203/7755/orchardroad.png

Edit: Disregard the black space at the bottom-right.
    I'm adding trees there.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2010
    Wow, I'm not nearly as good as half of these people, but I'll give it a shot.

This is the starting town for my upcoming hack, Pokemon: The New World. The town is Wichita. Sound familiar? It should, it's from Kansas.

Credit goes to Kyledove for the trees and some of the grass tiles.

Map Rating/Review Thread

I might cut out the last row of houses, since it's somewhat unneccessary, and it'd kill some of the free space that looks awkward. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    All I can say is "you're doing it wrong".

Your houses are made all wrong. xP I'm pretty sure you can figure out the problem after a mite of deliberation.

You should remove that last row of houses (why rows, even? Real-life town planning don't work in Pokémon) and fill the remaining empty space with trees.

Also, save as a PNG, please. So much better quality.

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
    Years
    Spoiler:

well, the mountain shape, tree placing and beach shape is not bad, maybe you could fill the empty space with yet more trees^^
    but what is horrible is the houses, in the game you should never but houses in row like this exept if you have got the right tiles(me I creating a town tileset where you will at last be able to put houses in rows :D well this you will maybe see soon enough in rom hacking ressources^^)
    anyway you map doesn't look like a town, it is rather a village, and you can't put so many houses and even less in rows,

-so first you need to put less houses I'd sugest you, coz the started town/village has never so many houses, if not the second village will need at least 2 times more houses and if you do a big cities it will need 5 times more houses, can you imagine a town in a pokemon rom with 50 villages? lol^^

-second you need to place them completely otherwise, I also don't like you strange house which is probably your lab, right? that one completely cut of the rest of the village, if you want to put the lab more far than the other houses you should do it otherwise, I can't say you how coz there are many ways how to but you can inspire of other maps it will surely help you(inspiring doesn't mean stealing^^)

-last, I already told it but not in details, the free space need to be filled with something, you could use trees but too many trees is not that goob, but I came on the idea of doing like a park or something so with the free space, you can put in the middle a pond, benches surrounding the pond, trees surrounding the all, that woud be great ;D

rating: 5/10

overall the map is good, but what makes a map good is mainly the small details that seem unimportant, that's what you haven't got^^
    but if you improve it a lot it can become very good ;)
    I hope you'll reposte it soon with improvement^^

EDIT:

Here my own improved map:

- I added 2 new tiles
    - I changed pallette
    - I improved some other things.....

Map name: route 104
    Ma game: pokemon forgiveness (ruby hack)
    comments: same as before^^

Map Rating/Review Thread

PS: like before, don't pay atention on the tile or pallette errors, I re-finished this map yesterday evening, I was very tired and I had no more force nor will to correct all these errors^^

thx for commenting and rating :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Spoiler:

Pokemon Quantum, ******** *******'s and my hack.
    I made this. Of course the hack won't have a completly natural feeling, so I tried to make it Nintendo-ish like. Grass pallettes made by me, trees and their pallettes by Zeikku.

Last edited:

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
    Years
    Spoiler:

Pokemon Quantum, ******** *******'s and my hack.
    I made this. Of course the hack won't have a completly natural feeling, so I tried to make it Nintendo-ish like. Grass pallettes made by me, trees and their pallettes by Zeikku.

hmm......the map look great, good tree placement, house placement.....
    in fact everything is perfect, I really don't know what can I criticize^^
    the only thing what is maybe not very good, I admit that normaly starter towns are small but this is maybe too small, you need to put maybe less trees in the middle of the map to leave more space, behind the lower red house you can take away the 1 tile walking place, and the second red house a bit just less trees.....
    in fact it isn't very important, maybe you even didn't understood what I mean coz of my bad english^^^

anyway, rating: 9.5/10

plz someone rate my map 2 posts above, thanx :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back