• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forthwall

The Unionized Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2013
    This looks great of what I can see, but I do not like that the cliffs touch the water, without beaches, that just my opinion but that cliff wall on the left side of the beach is one weird thing

Last edited:

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    oh i didnt know that sorry,
    Spoiler:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    That map is still hard to make out Resultz. Why not post it on a different site, and place a link to it...

Anyway, from what I can see, you have used the sand tiles wrong. Them tiles you used don't match each other (the sand path tile that you used for that transition from Grass to sand is different from the actual sand tile you used. That sand was from the desert tileset, when you need to use the sand tile I inserted. I can't explain well, so... You need to use the same sand tile constantly. Don't use the desert sand as the beach one). The houses at the right have too big roofs. Also, what is the border like? I can see many places where you can see the border, and at all 3, it would look wrong. Also, what is with the dark patches of grass? It makes little sense.

So, I rate 7/10.

Years
    safari zone addition

Hey just trying to get some feed back on the quality of these map. Can someone rate them? (there are 3 of them connected in the attachment)

It is supposed to look sort of natural looking because it is is supposed to be a harsher area of the safari zone that you gain access to later in the game. That is the wardens second house at the top.

They come out of the top of the zone. .. 'get in the zone' ..? ..safari zone?

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
    Hey just trying to get some feed back on the quality of these map. Can someone rate them? (there are 3 of them connected in the attachment)

It is supposed to look sort of natural looking because it is is supposed to be a harsher area of the safari zone that you gain access to later in the game. That is the wardens second house at the top.

They come out of the top of the zone. .. 'get in the zone' ..? ..safari zone?

Oi, That's too big, try posting one at a time? certainly don't have the time to give you a good rate, but I can give you some points of improvement.
    1. The houses at the top are out of place, not real at all. Why would you find a mansion or a university in a safari zone?
    2. The changes in current don't work either, just doesn't make snese being in such a small river

So yeah ;D

Now my new map ^o^

Map Name: Maelia Town
    Hack: Pokemon Fey
    Hack Of: Fire Red
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: The starter town :D Today's been a long day, so no back story -___-'

Credits to: Nintendo, Fangking Omega, and Wesley FG (I think)

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Ah, this style of mapping. Works great, but only if the tiles work great.

Hoenn's trees (particularly Emerald) and Fire Red's trees don't match. Hoenn is more of a tropical place whereas Kanto is more of a foresty-wooded area. And you've got a couple of tile errors with the FR trees (where you have two pine trees next to each other). Oh, and the roofs of the main buildings - yeah, they're not supposed to have the door frame continue onto them. It's meant to just end.

Anyway, the map itself is pretty nice, although the thinness of the path feels a bit weird. and it feels like there are too many flowers along the cliff.

The rest of the town is great, although it feels a bit big for a starter town.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    Hack: Pokemon Turquoise
    Base ROM: FireRed English (BPRE)
    Map name: Route 151
    Comments:
    - Where you come to the wild grass, you can see a hole. You need a HM to get there and you come there from a different route.
    - You can come from either east or west and you head north.
    - The cave isn't anything big, just a quick tunnel.
    Map:
    Map Rating/Review Thread
    Click on the map to enlarge it!

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    Hack: Pokemon Turquoise
    Base ROM: FireRed English (BPRE)
    Map name: Route 151
    Comments:
    - Where you come to the wild grass, you can see a hole. You need a HM to get there and you come there from a different route.
    - You can come from either east or west and you head north.
    - The cave isn't anything big, just a quick tunnel.
    Map:
    Map Rating/Review Thread
    Click on the map to enlarge it!

the tiles and rocky island sapes are nice, as is tree placement and rock placement in the sea, I like the map a lot but I a) dont think theres enough wild grass on the wooded islands, and b) think the shape of the back of te wooded slands is to straight, which is unnatural

Overall- 8/10

Now one of mine!
    Siarket Town
    Ruby
    Credit to whoever made the tiles!

This town has a history of shipbuilding, and being a market town.
    The hotel to the north west has its own private beach!
    Can i get a rate/Review please!
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
    Years
    Hack: Sky SD
    Base ROM: Fire Red
    Map Name: Path 6
    Comments: It is incredibly cluttered and dense with trees because you are about to enter a forrest - gradually getting more thick with trees. All my other maps aren't as cluttered as this one. Also as you enter the route from the top left it stops raining hence the two small puddles.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    The Bad:
    The houses would look better with normal doors not just... holes.
    Your trees need shadows.
    The water seems a bit random, honestly the map would look better without the random pools.
    Same with the ledges really.

The Good:
    Nice mountain shape.
    Good tree placement.
    Nice path shape (although the tiles make it look a bit odd).

Overall: 7/10, a nice little town.

--------------------------------

Wouldn't it be good if people rated when they posted their own map? :\ On the page before this there's like 5 maps in a row.

QFT, This thread needs a bt more structure like it had a while ago.

Chaos190

Likes to Hack Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2016
    Here is a Map I made. It's a town, no Pokemon Center because the house to the left has a guy in there who will heal your Pokemon :)
    Spoiler:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    QFT, This thread needs a bt more structure like it had a while ago.

Yeah, I'd rate...but I have a limited vocabulary when it comes to synonyms of "bad", which is what many of these maps are. I can't find a way to describe them; nor a way to help them improve.

@necromorph.

Your map severely lacks empty space, and trees. Separate the grass a bit more, nobody wants to wade through a mass of grass; nor is it appealing to look at. Add a few trees to give the map a more defined shape, and make the ledges less useless.

You also have plenty of tile errors in the mountains - the part that joins the side part of the mountain with the top part is wrong. I can't explain it, but, if you look under the tile for the mountain inner corner, you'll find the one you need to use.

And flowers - yeah, add those.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
    @chaos

Its too, cluttered for a town, also whats happening with leaving 3 sides of the map open? It, like this tread, needs more structure. and seriously needs more mountains.

@Necromorph

You need flowers, Mountain shape is good, You also havent put any trees at all?
    Overall
    Chaos: 6/10

Necromorph: 6.5/10

Spoiler:

Reposting mine seeing as no-one rated.

Fujitsu

Now with leather seats!
    Years
    You can see my critique in Team Masterz thread^^

Here is a Mountain Route I made.
    Spoiler:

You've done a very good job with the mountain shape. It looks natural and flexible. One minor problem is the misuse of tiles at every "|_" and "_|" junction of edge tiles. While you are using the tiles used for looming over a mountain tile, you should be using the two tiles that are beneath the two elbow junctions. It will make the corners look sleeker.

Your tall grass placement leaves a lot to be desired. Grass is not meant to be used as a filler for a map, but instead a clustered area as an obstacle. The way you have it here, spread out and scattered is neither aesthetically pleasing or functionally playable. You should have it together in groups. Your ledges aren't used to their full potential either. They are used more as an "ease of second play through" or "unlockable area" tile. The way you are using them here is more of an annoyance to a player, if anything. If there's no reason for the player to come back through the route, then why have them there at all? It would be better to block the player with trees or rocks instead, but in a natural way. Also, you really need to use every flavour of short grass tiles. Having every tile of grass the same doesn't look very good either.

Although you've done a very nice job of making the map appear natural and not too square, you really need to work on your grass placement. Overall, you're getting a 5/10 from me.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Tile errors? I beg to differ, I see nothing wrong with any of the mountains.
    Sorry i made my grass realistic and not in patches?
    A define shape? Nature dosent have that, if you didnt notice.
    Useless ledges? Again, its called being natural.
    The only thing that I agree with you with is adding a couple trees.

Seeing as you completely refuse to check the correct tile which I told you to use, I'll circle each and every tile error on your map, just for you.
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Last time I checked, too, naturally, taller grass actually does come in patches. Patches of tall grass and patches of short grass. Uneven patches and stuff, but patches. It isn't random huge lumps of tall grass with little weird blobs of short stuff in between.

Sure, natural is a completely viable way to map, but it's not an excuse to make a map bad. It'll be terrible to play through and, to be honest, it doesn't look much better.

Oh, and one thing I forgot before; vary the basic ground tile you use, there are five in FR. Looks more "natural".

Last edited:

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Tile errors? I beg to differ, I see nothing wrong with any of the mountains.
    Sorry i made my grass realistic and not in patches?
    A define shape? Nature dosent have that, if you didnt notice.
    Useless ledges? Again, its called being natural.
    The only thing that I agree with you with is adding a couple trees.

Tile errors generally happen when you use the wrong tile in an inconspicuous place (unless you're stupid and use a pathway as a roof tile), so most of the time, you don't notice your own mistakes. Let other people actually show you where you messed up and you'll get better at seeing them.

Sure, whatever. Most people will hate you for walking through all of that grass with absolutely no break, but that's your problem, not mine.

Ledges in the games generally prevent you from reaching somewhere or make the path more difficult. The ledges you have do neither of those, so they seem useless and random. It might be in your best interest to place them in a manner that makes traversing your route slightly more difficult to go up, and easier to go down like a lot of other Nintendo maps.

When you post a map on a thread like this, you have to accept all of the advice you're given. I mean, seriously, no one wants to try to help someone, and then, from the person who asked to get criticism, told that their comments aren't useful and are going to be ignored. And yes, you should have more trees.

Last edited:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    Okay, let's have a little trial. Everyone who posts on the rest of this page and the entire next page HAS to post a rating when they're posting a map, failure to do so will result in deletion. If this works out nicely it could become permanent; so yeah, it's up to you guys if you want this to work.

If you don't: don't follow this ruling, whatever, we don't care, we're only doing this for the benefit of members. If you're against this ruling, don't bother posting until it's out of place.

If you do: just follow my instructions and this could become permanent. n_n

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
    Years
    Spoiler:

Reposting mine seeing as no-one rated.

I like the grass/tree tiles and palettes, and i think that generally the map has been done well in the sense that there is not too little or too much space to move around in. However i think that there are a few too many flowers above the gym and below the mart and i also am wondering why the abandoned ship is right next to a town/city (unless it is going to be a normal ship).

Overall i'd say 7/10

----------------------------------------------------------
    Now for my map:-

Hack: Sky SD
    Base ROM: Fire Red
    Map Name: Path 6
    Comments: It is incredibly cluttered and dense with trees because you are about to enter a forrest - gradually getting more thick with trees. All my other maps aren't as cluttered as this one. Also as you enter the route from the top left it stops raining hence the two small puddles.
    Spoiler:

Posting again because it didn't get rated, please rate :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back