• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    Dark Empoleon said:
    Map Name: Sea Side Town (v.2)
    Map Game:FireRed (Credits to Christos & PHO for the rom base)
    Comments:I updated the town with the comments you guys said (sorry it's still really square >_<)

Map Rating/Review Thread

Map Name: Sea Side Route
    Comments:I don't know why but I don't like how this map turned out to be, however on the good side it matchs with the Town's border :)

Pic. of just the route:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Pic. of the route & town:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

(And sorry about the tree tile, I don't know how to change palettes yet so I don't want to insert different trees yet.)

I don't mind these maps, they look original. The only things I don't think that suit it are the grass tiles and how you have minor gaps between the beaches/sand tiles. Maybe just connect them up instead of having small gaps inbetween.

Hopefully you take that into consideration.

I'll give this a 8/10.

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
    Map Name: Route 409
    Map of: Route
    Map base: LeafGreen
    Other comments: This is mainly a test to see how this new mapping style is. I will bring back either Pokémon Harmony or EmberOrange, but this is the style I might use, depending on the reaction I get. Also, I will probably use different tiles.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Rating: C+
    Critique: As far as a route goes, it's somewhat... strange. It's a little bit too small, and the actual shape is a little odd. My main problem with it is the extremely monotone palette. While the shapes of the trees, grass, etc. are fantastic, the colors really need some work. Perhaps making the trees a much darker green and making the paths more brown would make it look nicer.

Comments:I updated the town with the comments you guys said (sorry it's still really square >_<)

Map Rating/Review Thread

Rating: B+
    Critique: The actually structure of the map is perfect. The only reason I gave it a B+ was because of the weird trees and the unneeded jetties.

Comments:I don't know why but I don't like how this map turned out to be, however on the good side it matchs with the Town's border :)

Pic. of just the route:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Map Rating/Review Thread

(And sorry about the tree tile, I don't know how to change palettes yet so I don't want to insert different trees yet.)

Rating: B-
    Critique: Again, the palette is a bit dodgy. The route also looks a little bit cramped, which is something that needs to be looked at.

Years
    Map Name: ???
    Map base: Fire Red
    Other comments: I was mapping and I felt a little rusty, so I made a map to be rated. Just wondering if not hacking/mapping for a while, made me worse.
    Ummm... Credits? I think, that's my edit of Zel's Shiny Gold Gym, and Suarav for the gym post and someone for the trees, sorry I can't remember...
    Spoiler:

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    Map Name: Unamed
    Map Game: Fire Red
    Comments: This is going to be the starting town. I like the look of it, but I would like some additional comments on how I could improve it.
    Map:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Rating: 7/10
    Reason: the map is really nice. I like it. ^^
    Suggestion: nothing to suggest.

okay... i just realized one of my maps was supposed to have three exits instead of just two... LOL
    so here's the semi-new map:

MAP NAME: Aquiline City [ redone ]

MAP GAME: LeafGreen

COMMENTS: fixing an oops XD

MAP:
    Spoiler:

Reason: That's a nice map, but there are tile errors in the bike shop area.
    Suggestion: Fix the tile error. :D

Map Name: Route 409
    Map of: Route
    Map base: LeafGreen
    Other comments: This is mainly a test to see how this new mapping style is. I will bring back either Pokémon Harmony or EmberOrange, but this is the style I might use, depending on the reaction I get. Also, I will probably use different tiles.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Reason: the colour of the palletes and the grass really hurts my eyes...
    Suggestion: Kinda lessen the pallete colour's strength...

Map Name: I couldn't think of one >.<
    Map Game: FireRed (Credits to Christos & PHO for the rom base)
    Comments: It was supposed to be a beach-like starter town but it turned out a little different from what I wanted, I should have made the map a litttttttttle bigger to fit a lab, and ignore the border I have surrounding maps planned for the sides.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Rating: 8/10
    Reason: It's a nice little seaside town. ^^
    Suggestion: Nothing to suggest...

Map Rating/Review Thread

Pic. of just the route:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Map Rating/Review Thread

Rating: 7/10(All maps in average)
    Reason: I like the looks and the feel of water and land together.
    Suggestion: Nothing to suggest.

Other comments: I was mapping and I felt a little rusty, so I made a map to be rated. Just wondering if not hacking/mapping for a while, made me worse.
    Ummm... Credits? I think, that's my edit of Zel's Shiny Gold Gym, and Suarav for the gym post and someone for the trees, sorry I can't remember...
    Spoiler:

Rating: 8/10
    Reason: Well thethethethe... The map is really nice and I like the atmosphere. ^^
    Suggestion: I think there are two sets of grass tiles with different colors, right? Why not use those and place them in the map? :D

Last edited:

Lupe

isn't she cute...
    Years
    Spoiler:

6.3/10
    the map is nice but there are alot of empty space

Xaivier

You trust me with a title?
    Years
    Map Name: Route401

Map Game: Pokemon Fire Red

Comments: Well it took quite long and this is my first ever map

Mapshot:
    <pic>

Credit to PHO and Green Charizard for the Rom base.

5/10

for a first map this is not a bad attempt, advanced map takes time to get used to.
    The things I thank that are wrong with it are that it is a square, and that the player could avoid the grass id they so do wish.

(also, this is irrelivent to the discussion, but why was my previous post in this topic deleted? I take art, and I have worked on numerous games up to this point, so why is my oppinion taken lightly and removed? Its an insult more then anything.)

+Sneasel™

It's a meeee, itman!
    Years
    Spoiler:

Rating: 6/10
    This map is really empty, and I don't like some of it either (like the little trees, they look really bad like that).
    I think you need to get back into mapping, I think you're right, not mapping for a while made you worse...

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    A map rating guide was added to the first post, written by Don Patch. Hopefully there will be more proper and better ratings.

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
    Years
    Map Name: Concept Route 1

Map Game: Firered

Comments: I went ahead and fooled around in Advance Map a little today, and this is the route I came up with. I discovered Pokemon Hacks last year, and ever since I've always wanted to give it a try. I suppose mapping is as good a first step as any. (This is my first route map.) This route was made "for fun", and isn't intended for any hack of mine. I used a Rom Base to spice it up, though I forget who it was that made the base. (Probably not good, but to whoever made it, good job with it.) (The random bush to the left of the lake was supposed to be a cut tree, but I'm still learning events. Eh.)

Map:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

-------

-------

Map Name: Concept City 1

Comments: Pretty much the same as my previous comments. I messed around with Advance Map for the first time to see what I could come up with, this time with a city.

Map: Map Rating/Review Thread

Xaivier

You trust me with a title?
    Years
    Map Name: Concept Route 1

Comments: I went ahead and fooled around in Advance Map a little today, and this is the route I came up with. I discovered Pokemon Hacks last year, and ever since I've always wanted to give it a try. I suppose mapping is as good a first step as any. (This is my first route map.) This route was made "for fun", and isn't intended for any hack of mine. I used a Rom Base to spice it up, though I forget who it was that made the base. (Probably not good, but to whoever made it, good job with it.) (The random bush to the left of the lake was supposed to be a cut tree, but I'm still learning events. Eh.)

Map: <pic>
    -------

-------

Map Name: Concept City 1

Comments: Pretty much the same as my previous comments. I messed around with Advance Map for the first time to see what I could come up with, this time with a city.

Map: <pic>

Rating (map one) 7/10
    Reason: Looks nice, but would be tedious to travel though.
    Improvments: The route could be left generally the same, but you could remove a part of the ledge next to the pond to allow a shortcut for people with surf.

Rating (map two) 8/10
    Reason: I like the map but it has a lot of unused space.
    Improvements: you could add a few smaller paths between the houses, and add some bushes, small trees, or flowers to fill up some of the empty space.

My first map.

Map Name: route 101

Game: Firered, but I am going to remake it in Ruby.

Description: A route leading from the starting town to a mountain pass, which leads to a small cave, which leads to the second town..

Map Rating/Review Thread

This is my first route-map.

Last edited:

SerenadeDS

Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2013
    My first map.

Map Name: route 101

Game: Firered, but I am going to remake it in Ruby.

Description: A route leading from the starting town to a mountain pass, which leads to a small cave, which leads to the second town..

Map Rating/Review Thread

This is my first route-map.

8/10 - Pretty good for a first map, but I see quite a bit of tileset errors. Otherwise, a nice first map.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2013
    I know the question was not directed at me, but here is my go at some of your tileset errors (circled in red)

Map Rating/Review Thread

• The tips of the jump ledges had special end; use them.
    • The thin trees have a special tile for when they are clumped up.
    • The stair should really only have one stair with shadows.
    • You are missing the end of the tree.
    • Finally, in the border block section, it will not match up correctly. For trees, you should put the tips of them (the point) at the bottom and work your way up from there.
    Overall, its not bad, just do edit the map a little bit more and you will have a great Route! :)

SerenadeDS

Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2013
    I know the question was not directed at me, but here is my go at some of your tileset errors (circled in red)

Thank you bob_saget! Those were just some basic. The shading around the tress is wrong a long with the grass. That tile with the black spot in the middle is used to signify a hidden item.

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
    Years
    Map Name: Concept Route 2

Comments: Just another practice route in Advance Map to flex my fingers..

Map:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
    Map Name: Concept Route 2

Comments: Just another practice route in Advance Map to flex my fingers..

Map:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Rating: B-
    Critique: It's definately not bad; you've got the right idea going, and the general layout is good. It just seems a little... basic. I mean, all you've got are trees, grass and flowers :/ . Try adding some bushes or smaller trees.

magma_boi

Hungry Hungry Hippo
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2010
    Map Name: none

Comments: I got bored so i decided to make a map, nothing special, but it's the first one i've made in a while. Crits welcome.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years

Comments: I got bored so i decided to make a map, nothing special, but it's the first one i've made in a while. Crits welcome.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Rating: D+
    Critique: To put it simply: it's too empty. Remember that walking across lots of empty space on a small screen isn't good at all. Also, there are far too many tile errors (look at the trees and windows) for it to look good. I wouldn't really consider this a 'pass' (as reflected in my rating), as it doesn't satisfy the criteria for a decent map.

Years

Map Rating/Review Thread

Rating: 6/10
    Reason: The map is very empty, you have pokemon grass in an city.
    Suggestions: Fill the map with more trees, flowers and stuff like that, and remove the pokemon grass >_<

@Mrchewy: You are supposed to rate from 1-10 not A-F -_-

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back