• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
  • Map Name: Garnet Cave
    ROM: Fire Red BPRE
    Hack: Pokémon Enigma
    Credits: Nintendo - tiles

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

This is the first time I've tried to map a cave. I'd like some constructive criticism on how to improve.

Ooh, I like this map alot...
    Here are my ratings...

Playability 8/10
    This map gives the player a bunch of room to move, while still having that cave bit of cramped-ness. The overall layout of the map looks good to, nice and challenging for the player, but it looks fun in any case!

Tile Errors 10/10
    I never noticed any tile errors, but I just skimmed through, so I may not be so accurate...

Possible NPC 9/10
    Very nice spacing, allows for great NPC placement, NPC of almost any movement style would work well here. Yet it could be better, I mean, nothing is perfect...

Total Score 9/10 90%
    Very Good Map in my eyes! Keep up the good work!

пзо

zzirRusty
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2010
    Map.

Map name; Undecided.
    Map of; Pokemon Fire Red // My hack, Pokemon Guardian of the Sky.
    Comments; I really need someone to rate this, I think its a nice map.
    Also, Please report tile errors.
    Credits; Alistiar.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Got a map for you.

Map name: None
    Map of: 1636 - Pokemon Firered (U)
    ROM Hack: None
    Mapping time: About 40 minutes
    Comments: I just re-did Route 1, but there are numerous edits to it, so you can barely see the old one now. Also, you have a choice for pokemon or just to go through.
    Credits to: mitchel1 for his awesome ROM Base.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
  • Got a map for you.

Map name: None
    Map of: 1636 - Pokemon Firered (U)
    ROM Hack: None
    Mapping time: About 40 minutes
    Comments: I just re-did Route 1, but there are numerous edits to it, so you can barely see the old one now. Also, you have a choice for pokemon or just to go through.
    Credits to: mitchel1 for his awesome ROM Base.

Looks good I'd give it a 9/10

The tiles are custom right? Wither way it's very appealing to the eyes. I have a feeling that you should add more wild grass though, it just seems a little bare with the majority of it being that path. Also to be a bit more realistic the paths should go all the way to the door because they have been traversed upon lot's to get there.

Nice =)

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Looks good I'd give it a 9/10

The tiles are custom right? Wither way it's very appealing to the eyes. I have a feeling that you should add more wild grass though, it just seems a little bare with the majority of it being that path. Also to be a bit more realistic the paths should go all the way to the door because they have been traversed upon lot's to get there.

Nice =)

A large part of the grass had to be removed due to the windmill. I just wanted a test with the rom base and this is my first contribution. As I'm terrible at connecting maps, I just make such maps for fun.

пзо

zzirRusty
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2010
    Map name; Undecided.
    Credits; Alistiar.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Ahem* Why u skippin 2 da 1 after it?

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2016
    Map name; Undecided.
    Credits; Alistiar.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Since nobody's bothered to rate neo's map I guess I'll rate it.

Ok, lets start with the shape and tile usage. The shape is good overall and the mountains are OK, because parts of it are too straight.I think the path is a bit off, especially for a starter town. Try adding more rocks and flowers, and making the mountain a bit more complicated. For this you get 7/10.

Now, buildings and paths. The tiles were inserted well and all, but I think the lab is a bit too complex for a starter town. There is also a lot of empty space in the middle of the map. The buildings are placed and inserted pretty well. Now here's the problem. Your path looks like it got raped or something. It's pretty big for a starter town. For this you get another 7/10.

Lastly, water and tree placement. Trees were placed pretty well, except to the left of the map above the ledges. Those trees are all completely straight (Although the player will never walk in this area, it looks kind of messed up). The water is really good, not straight with rocks in it. 8/10

Overall, you get a 73%. A good map you have there. However, I believe that your other starter town was a lot better.

EJames2100

Pokémon Hall Of Fame Supporter
    Years
  • 1st Time I've ever done a map :)

Map Name: No Name Yet.

Map Game: It isn't been made for a game, I am wishing to learn mapping and want some criticism, It is made in Emerald with A-Map.

Comments: I haven't put a pathway and wasn't too sure how I'd go about it here, The water does actually lead off onto another map off-screen(Not yet made) and the cave has something inside it so....
    The buildings with no windows is like a little booking office for those houses/buldings above as it is a Hotel.
    The below building was meant to be a Mansion but it doesn't look like that so much...
    The 2 houses to the Top-Right is basically opposites of each other, one is nice and flowery and well kept whereas the other one isn't :)
    The cave's entrance looks a little weird and I guess it wasn't meant to be used with the mountain tiles I used I guess... :?

Credits: Nintendo I guess

Mapshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Thoughts ?

Makorin

Ex-ROM Hacker
    Years
  • 1st Time I've ever done a map :)

Map Name: No Name Yet.

Map Game: It isn't been made for a game, I am wishing to learn mapping and want some criticism, It is made in Emerald with A-Map.

Comments: I haven't put a pathway and wasn't too sure how I'd go about it here, The water does actually lead off onto another map off-screen(Not yet made) and the cave has something inside it so....
    The buildings with no windows is like a little booking office for those houses/buldings above as it is a Hotel.
    The below building was meant to be a Mansion but it doesn't look like that so much...
    The 2 houses to the Top-Right is basically opposites of each other, one is nice and flowery and well kept whereas the other one isn't :)
    The cave's entrance looks a little weird and I guess it wasn't meant to be used with the mountain tiles I used I guess... :?

Credits: Nintendo I guess

Mapshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Thoughts ?

Wow...
    Rating: 1/10 F
    Be happy I'm giving mercy!
    I suggest taking a look at one of the many Maping Tuts on the Fourms
    Then take those thoughts and see what you can do!

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    I bring you a map:

Map Name: Manilla Village, Lorengo island (starting town)
    Hack: Disclosed name.
    Base Rom: Fire Red

Map Rating/Review Thread

All inserted by me.

Thanks TB Pro and Alistair for tiles and pals

Last edited:

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
    Years
  • Old map is old. Edited it though!

Map Name: Quamoclit City
    Credits: Nintendo - Tiles.
    Comments: I've posted this before, I just changed a few things. Hoping this is better than the last one.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Map Name: Quamoclit City
    Credits: Nintendo - Tiles.
    Comments: I've posted this before, I just changed a few things. Hoping this is better than the last one.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Alright, here we go with the tile errors:
    • Tree shadow errors on both sides of the southern exit
    • Tree shadow error directly to the left of the northern gatehouse
    • Along the western edge of the top ridge (down by the grassy area), there are a whole lot of tile errors in the mountain where you used improper tiles
    • This one's kinda hard to explain but if you start at the western-most house and go west from there, you'll see a tile error in the mountain where the dirt path transitions into grass
    • There are a couple more instances of the aforementioned tile error around the map:
    - Directly to the left of the Gym
    - In the southern-most dirt path, there's an error where that path meets the mountain
    • Behind the house south of the PokéCenter, there are tree shadow errors (a lack of tree shadows) in the trees directly behind that house

I think that's most of them. Despite all of those, the map is quite nice. I especially love how you have gone into such detail which is evident in your numerous block edits: subtle but elegant. The mixing of the paths looks weird in some places, more notably when the two paths all but touch each other. However, when used separately, they are fairly good, especially the dirt path when used in unison with the mountain tiles (although you slipped up in a few spots :)). Still, overall it's a great map. I seem to have an affinity for your mapping style and I hope to see more maps from you in the future ;)

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Someone please rate it :D
    Uh, I think RuxarioX did but his post got deleted :\
    Anyways, one thing that I noted (and RukarioX pointed out (which may or may not be intentional)) is that you can slip through the rocks by the eastern side of the beach. I'm assuming you didn't want that to be possible but it is your map. Hm, what else. The use of only one grass tile is a little weird. Try mixing it up here and there or find a pattern to use throughout the entire map. Uh, that bush is kind of oddly placed at the top of the map. Maybe it's just me but it's a little weird to enter a map through only one space. It seems a little crowded and I wouldn't recommend doing that, especially if it's for a script and you're just too lazy to create multiple scripts :P I don't really like the way you mixed the two trees either. There seems to be a lot of one tree in one place and then an abundance of the other in another place. Try to make it a little more random and natural. The way the beach tiles transition into the ledge-like water-border tiles is also a little awkward. Finally, the usage of two different paths doesn't look very good. I'd stick with just the sand path if I were you. Anyways, you've got a decent map there but try to fix those things and you'll find it will look a LOT better :)

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    Uh, I think RuxarioX did but his post got deleted :\
    Anyways, one thing that I noted (and RukarioX pointed out (which may or may not be intentional)) is that you can slip through the rocks by the eastern side of the beach. I'm assuming you didn't want that to be possible but it is your map. Hm, what else. The use of only one grass tile is a little weird. Try mixing it up here and there or find a pattern to use throughout the entire map. Uh, that bush is kind of oddly placed at the top of the map. Maybe it's just me but it's a little weird to enter a map through only one space. It seems a little crowded and I wouldn't recommend doing that, especially if it's for a script and you're just too lazy to create multiple scripts :P I don't really like the way you mixed the two trees either. There seems to be a lot of one tree in one place and then an abundance of the other in another place. Try to make it a little more random and natural. The way the beach tiles transition into the ledge-like water-border tiles is also a little awkward. Finally, the usage of two different paths doesn't look very good. I'd stick with just the sand path if I were you. Anyways, you've got a decent map there but try to fix those things and you'll find it will look a LOT better :)
    The water border is fixed, the trees differ since its from land to beach trees etc. there is 1 path and then the beach is the other thing... Thanks!

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Umm... i made a map, but i uploaded it before i read the thumbnail thing, so i post a link;
    https://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/jonnychleevas/NewPalletTownScreenie.png?t=1233843857

please give c&c.
    Just to let you know, maps made for a game aren't allowed on this thread, as stated in the front post of this thread.
    Now, I don't want to make my post pointless, so I'll give you some criticism.

• River looks poorly done (shape-wise)
    • There is a MAJOR abundance of flowers
    • You can get trapped if you don't have surf/fly (Look at bottom left)
    • Shape could use work (of the entire map)
    • Pathway looks odd
    • Beach looks odd
    • Ocean's shape is poor
    • Lots of empty space

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
    Years
  • Alright, here we go with the tile errors:
    • Tree shadow errors on both sides of the southern exit
    • Tree shadow error directly to the left of the northern gatehouse
    • Along the western edge of the top ridge (down by the grassy area), there are a whole lot of tile errors in the mountain where you used improper tiles
    • This one's kinda hard to explain but if you start at the western-most house and go west from there, you'll see a tile error in the mountain where the dirt path transitions into grass
    • There are a couple more instances of the aforementioned tile error around the map:
    - Directly to the left of the Gym
    - In the southern-most dirt path, there's an error where that path meets the mountain
    • Behind the house south of the PokéCenter, there are tree shadow errors (a lack of tree shadows) in the trees directly behind that house

I think I fixed every tile error that has been mentioned to me. I want to get this right.
    Anyway, here is Quamoclit City. Again.
    Spoiler:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back