• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
  • I have a map after a long time, I will be making a rombase out of it that might get relesed soon!
    comments: If any one wants to use this map go ahead, take it.
    game:fire red
    map name: mountainous pass.
    Spoiler:

credits: alister and me

Last edited:

Kalsard

Looking for time travellers.
    Years
  • Thanks for criticism on other map, I will try again soon =(
    Here's a map I was working on before and If I do have tile errors, can someone tell me WHERE...Thanks
    Fire Red Rom
    Alur Town

*EDIT* Two tile errors in tree, just saw it

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
  • Here's my map of New Bark Town, for a Johto Anime Remake. It's on a firered rom. Credit to con-11 for editing.

File in attachment.

Last edited:

Q-Bone

Musician and Pixel Artist
    Years
  • Here's my map of New Bark Town, for a Johto Anime Remake. It's on a firered rom.

File in attachment.

Rating: 3/10
    Reason: The map is too open and it does not look like the original New Bark Town.
    Improvements: Try analysing the original new Bark Town as you map it, and be precise with every minor detail.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
  • there is a PC there because we need one,
    and if you look at shiny gold the maps are similar.

also there is such thing as new and different
    Also, I think Samike360 said it was a remake of New Bark Town, anime style.

Here's my map of New Bark Town, for a Johto Anime Remake. It's on a firered rom. Credit to con-11 for editing.

File in attachment.
    It looks...terrible. There are path errors near the Pokemon Center. It's going to have border problems. And, even in the anime, there wasn't nearly that many rocks. More trees are required, to make it look even at the slightest level of acceptable. You also shouldn't use more than one path per map, unless there is a change in terrain. (Such as grassy to mountainous.) Your flowers are also meh. Too many and too spread out. You need to remove some, and place the remainder closer together.

I think that should do it. :\ I'll give you a 3/10.

PlatniumPiano

You are now breathing manually
    Years
  • ROM: Ruby Version AXVE

Map Name: Amythest Valley (Pokemon: Messenger Of Peace)

Comments: This is an unfinished map, but I would like to see how I am doing so far. This is my first "valley" map, with a mountainous border. The house is a somewhat Pokemon Center/Old Lady's Rest Shop deal, and above that is a cave. Please Rate, Comment, and give me some pointers on how I can improve my mapping ^_^

AmythestValley.jpg

Years
  • ROM: Ruby Version AXVE

Map Name: Amythest Valley (Pokemon: Messenger Of Peace)

Comments: This is an unfinished map, but I would like to see how I am doing so far. This is my first "valley" map, with a mountainous border. The house is a somewhat Pokemon Center/Old Lady's Rest Shop deal, and above that is a cave. Please Rate, Comment, and give me some pointers on how I can improve my mapping ^_^

AmythestValley.jpg
    Your quite a decent mapper, you've got good shape of the rocks, but some of them look abit weird.O_o
    Well scince you look like you've just started hacking, well I'm impressed.
    So far i rate it a 6/10.;)

PlatniumPiano

Years
  • Map Name: An unnamed Lake

Map Game: Fire red

Comments: My first lake ever!

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

It's alright. Especially for your first lake map. I like the island in the center. At first I thought it was a bunch of random tiles lol not used to the side- sloping stairs. I do think that you could maybe put some rocks and objects in the center to help make it seem less... empty? But that's just what I think.

So, overall I give it a

6/10

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • Well, JohnPaulJones... Exept for the ratings you've got so far, you wanted suggestions... Well, The pit and the lower of the two hills seems kinda pointless, there's tree shadowing errors, some of the ledges end strange, the small trees grow in rows (not a big deal, but still)... and... Well, This is a REALLY small thing, but you wanted to improve... Well, you've not used the correct mountain tile on some places where there's been a mountain bove another... There's supposed to be the tile that looks like two ledges on top of each other... This is to make the whole mountain flow together smoothly... Rating: 7/10 for a good valley. ^^

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2009
    Map Name: Unknown at the time.

Game: Pokemon Fire Red

Comments: This is only my third map that I've made. I was planning to have Ho - Oh at the top and I was thinking of having the cave go down to Lugia. I didn't include it in this map, but I was thinking of putting smashable rocks in front of the staircase up to Ho - Oh and a boulder in front of the cave entrance. So once you get the required Gym badge you could go and get them. (You couldn't get them both at the same point in the game.)

Red Boxes: I was wondering if what I put in the red boxes was possible, I wanted it to look like there was a really steep drop.

Black Boxes: The player will not be able to see into this area so I didn't bother to put anything there.

Please be honest.

cooley

///Keepin' it simple
    Years
  • Map Name: Unknown at the time.

Game: Pokemon Fire Red

Comments: This is only my third map that I've made. I was planning to have Ho - Oh at the top and I was thinking of having the cave go down to Lugia. I didn't include it in this map, but I was thinking of putting smashable rocks in front of the staircase up to Ho - Oh and a boulder in front of the cave entrance. So once you get the required Gym badge you could go and get them. (You couldn't get them both at the same point in the game.)

Red Boxes: I was wondering if what I put in the red boxes was possible, I wanted it to look like there was a really steep drop.

Black Boxes: The player will not be able to see into this area so I didn't bother to put anything there.

Please be honest.
    Well the Player might not be able to see it. But since it's a Map Rating thread, it's rated on what people see.

This map, I get what you're trying to do, but it came out wrong. It's supposed to be hard or annoying for the player to reach the top. I mean.. I could just walk straight to Ho-oh/Lugia without any help. Which means the hack is shorter and you have to do more work. People should post in your thread "How do you get to ho-oh, this guy won't move out of the way" or something like that, understand? :P

I'm not a map rater, but if you practiced, and redid this map, I can tell it'd be a great map. Good job for your third map.

Overall rating: 2.5/5

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2009
    Well the Player might not be able to see it. But since it's a Map Rating thread, it's rated on what people see.

This map, I get what you're trying to do, but it came out wrong. It's supposed to be hard or annoying for the player to reach the top. I mean.. I could just walk straight to Ho-oh/Lugia without any help. Which means the hack is shorter and you have to do more work. People should post in your thread "How do you get to ho-oh, this guy won't move out of the way" or something like that, understand? :P

I'm not a map rater, but if you practiced, and redid this map, I can tell it'd be a great map. Good job for your third map.

Overall rating: 2.5/5

Thanks, I guess I forget to mention that the route to the south (down) was going to be kind of like a maze. I didn't attach it to the bottom because I haven't finished it yet. As I said in my post above, I put boulders/smashable rocks in front of the cave entrance and stairs.

Thanks for the critique!

PlatniumPiano

Years
  • Alright so I re-did Amythest Valley, (same info as my first post of the map). I took out one of the rocky islands, redid the other, and made the mountains... Curvier. Lol so Comment and rate por favor!

Spoiler:

Makorin

Ex-ROM Hacker
    Years
  • Alright so I re-did Amythest Valley, (same info as my first post of the map). I took out one of the rocky islands, redid the other, and made the mountains... Curvier. Lol so Comment and rate por favor!

Spoiler:

Looks pretty good...
    Although I think you should try to connect the Mountains on top of the base wall having it stretch all the way around the map.
    Also, put trees along the base of the map so the player has to come through in one area. (AKA the path!) ;)

Oh, and the trees by the cave entrance...
    They are symmetrical... Naturally trees aren't symmetrical... :|

Also that little indent near the bottom...
    Experiment with that. I bet you can make that rounded out, too! :)

And that last thing I'll mention...
    USE THE FORCE TO PUT THE PLAYERS IN THE GRASS!!! XD

Make that sand path curvy and shorten it then perhaps add tall grass that forces the players to fight wild Pokemon, otherwise how will they toughen up those darn Pokemon of theirs!

T-Trainer B-Battles!!! Heck NO!
    People are lazy make them go into that grass!

Overall a very well thought out map!
    I give it an overall score of roughly 7/10
    That would be an average C in letters!

Well that's all from me!
    ~Flaming Flarez~

kingfisher309

I lurrve zubat =D
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2010
    My Few First DP Style Map.

So these maps I would use for a hack

But the ROM crashes when you play so it just a bit of fun.

Heres the first few areas, I havnt checked over them to add extra detail or corrections yet.

Credit to Kyledove for Tiles :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back