• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q-Bone

Musician and Pixel Artist
Years
  • Map Name: I'm still deciding on the name of this cave.

Map Game: Emerald

Comments: I spent quite awhile on this. You could say that it's a new style of cave mapping (at least for me) in which the cave is made to feel really small, and hopefully more realistic, by adding lots of large rocks to block off the paths as much as possible, without completely destroying playability. I really like how it came out. This is just a sample though, I've got a full gigantic ubercave in the works lol.
    Also, I spent a lot of time making sure that there are no border errors, and I left that one area empty so it wouldn't distract anyone, since you can't actually see it lol.

I like it, you've overused the rocks and boulders but you've placed them carefully, so it looks good. Excluding the amount of trainers though (I'd say it's a couple too many), I'm glad you've actually cared to spread out the rock walls to give it a maze like feel, since there are many optional pathways.

I'd give 8/10.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Okay here is my 2nd map ive ever done! I used blob of blobs (i think thats his username) rom base and edited the grass to look like HG SS grass. Its supposed to be the starter town but i guess its to big so i might change it to the second town... the bottom is part of the sea that connects this town to the one with the last gym leader, most of the region is surrounded by the sea ( bit like hoenn only more)
    Please tell me how i can improve and..... all that stuff! Oh yeah and no cursing... please!

Game hacked: Fire red
    Town name: Dilford town

Map Rating/Review Thread

Okay ive updated it but it still looks too neat :(

Map Rating/Review Thread

Edit: Ive just noticed ive removed the exit.... ill put it on later....

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    Okay ive updated it but it still looks too neat :(
    (before I start, I don't have enough posts so I had to delete the picture in the quote)
    Alright for one, there's nothing wrong with a neat map, neat maps CAN be beautiful and playable.
    Now, Playablity wise, it's not half bad, but that's only because you made the paths like three tiles wide, take away that and you'll see how empty it truly is.
    The rocks that you used as borders in the water are in a row...That's a nono, even if you were using Nintendo's style, you wouldn't place rocks like that.
    The paths are also really straight, also, I hate when people extend building tiles, I do not see how this makes it look any better. The random islands really don't help the look of the water, along with the *cave* in the middle.
    The flowers have seriously bad placement, and there are a lot of them.
    While bushes can be placed in rows, they are not supposed to be placed in rows of 6. *glares at western house*
    Tree placement is also terribly done, especially the bunch of small trees.

emokitty

Pokemon Xeno Creator
    Years
  • Map Rating/Review Thread

A map I created with Advance Map 1.90. Its not the best custom map out there, so please criticize so i can improve.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Map Name: Still deciding

Map Game: Emerald

Comments: I was gonna hold off on posting any more of my cave maps until I had the whole thing finished... but for some reason I really wanted to post this one. I guess since it
    it took 58:558 minutes to finish, (lolexacttime) while the other one took several hours to do, and I want to make sure this is up to the same quality as the other one. (Maybe I'm just getting good at it, I dunno.)(Edit: Yes apparently I'm getting good at it, since I just finished one that's at least 3x the size of this one in 56 minutes. lol) Also, I hate it when I don't leave enough room and I have to make changes so the border works right, and then it ruins the look of an area. lol

Edit: Here's my other cave map also, just because. (The 1st one is the new one.)

Last edited:

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    city name:
    MAYGROOVE CITY
    game:
    Fire Red

please rate

comments:
    I haven't changed the tiles yet,
    tell me if i should.

andyp159

Master of Fire!
    Years
  • city name:
    MAYGROOVE CITY
    game:
    Fire Red

please rate

comments:
    I haven't changed the tiles yet,
    tell me if i should.

Spoiler:

This map needs a lot of improvement. Firstly, it's too empty. If you stand in the bottom right hand corner, you will see nothing but grass and that's bad. And unless you have connections on all four sides, you could technically sail off into the abyss as you have not placed 'iceberg rocks' round the edges of the ocean. This could lead to tile map errors on the rocky mountain on the top edge. Also, too many flowers in blocks. They need to be diagonally placed, touched indirectly rather than directly. Moreso, you could try padding out the map with paths, trees, rocks and different types of grass (not long grass though). You've used the wrong tiles for edging the cliff. Also, there are tile map errors on the skinny trees. Oh, and the sign in the mountain just looks wrong. It needs to be placed at least one tile down.

However, I like the mountain placement and the fence round the housing.

1/10, NEEDS IMPROVEMENT!

Anyways, my turn: Hooray!

Map name: Erasmuth Path
    Map Game: Pokemon: WARPED (base: fire red)

Spoiler:

Be honest.

Last edited:

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    I have it so you can't use surf for 1.
    2 this is a home town, and an event happens in that corner
    after getting 4 badges.

and next map
    Route 1

Game:
    Fire Red

Please comment

Neo-Wolf

I am back!
    Years
  • My Maps .. Please rate !

Map Name(s): Random Village Map , Random Sea Route , Random Grass Route

Map Game: Pokemon FireRed ( Mitchel1's BaseROM )

Comments: These are my first ever maps . I decided to start mapping and these are the results I got . These maps are situated in a primitive region a long time ago .

Mapshot: Look in attachments .

~ Thanks a lot for Reviewing .

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • first map very empty and square trees 6/10
    montanie looks fake and shadow water with no rocks 7.5/10
    thired map no routs conecting the houses empty square trees 5/10

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
  • Map Name(s): Random Village Map , Random Sea Route , Random Grass Route

Map Game: Pokemon FireRed ( Mitchel1's BaseROM )

Comments: These are my first ever maps . I decided to start mapping and these are the results I got . These maps are situated in a primitive region a long time ago .

Mapshot: Look in attachments .

~ Thanks a lot for Reviewing .
    Well the first one has too many flowers... Otherwise its ok,
    While the other too just dont seem correct - unexplainable - for example the positions of the Grass!

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    someone please rate my route 1 and city.

repost maygroove city and route 1

Last edited by a moderator:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • okay the city is very empty and tree placement is blockey and you need to make some roads 4/10
    lake is square tree placement square grass placement square and to big (to much of an eare where the player can rome)
    3/10

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • someone please rate my route 1 and city.

repost maygroove city and route 1

The City - The mountain is very unnaturally shaped, Mountains arn't Shaped Square...
    Tree Placement is terrible...And Makes the map shaped square...
    Flower placement is also terrible...Try to spread them out more...
    The Sign for Oak's lab is on the Mountain...Thats Not Natural...
    There's Some More Wrong with it...But try to improve these points first...
    Rating - 1/10

andyp159

Master of Fire!
    Years
  • Map Game: Pokmeon WARPED (base = fire red)

Map Name: Erasmuth Path

Spoiler:

Map Name: Paloom Village

Spoiler:

Map Name: Adair Lake

Spoiler:

Please bear in mind that this rom hack is divided into stages, and these three maps combined are stage ten. If you are confused, please look at the Pokemon: WARPED page (there's a link to it in my signature).

Please be honest.

andyp159

Master of Fire!
    Years
  • andyp159
    top 1
    3/10
    reason, looks like a maze to get to 1 building

middle
    8/10
    good, but simple

bottom
    4/10
    looks like a lake with a sky scraper, but no city

please rate my route

There's no city because it's not a city. If you look closely, you'll see that the map name is Adair LAKE. Lakes and cities are two very different things.

Now, onto your maps (the first one we rated earlier, so we'll just rate the route).

I'm sorry, but there's really nothing I like about this map. It's simple to the point of tedium. There's no shape to it, it's just big squary blocks. It looks like you've kept the wild grass placement from the original route 1, and that's bad and unoriginal, especially as we can tell what map it originally was. You've just basically edited Route 1. The suggestion I would make would be to delete the entire map first, and start from a blank canvass, like experienced mappers do. (Look at my very first hack, Septo Conquest, and you'll see the difference to my new hack with the newer maps, as I now start afresh everytime.) Flowers could be placed better. There's a jump hedge jutting out of a tree which makes no sense. The water and cliff is very square and just dull.

0/10

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2014
    I am kinda new to this so dont make fun of it =)

Magma Town - Just a joke lol.
    Map Rating/Review Thread

This isnt my first but I did do it in 20 minutes I can do better with those horrible palletes you start with.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back