• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Map Name: Route 251
    ROM: FireRed
    Hack: enCODED
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Comments: The route left of Dewberry Village. Tree shadows are pains.

Last edited:

Laidjon*

An eternal equilibrium~
    Years
  • Map Name: Konpeki Town
    Hack: Not named, yet.
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Comments: A revamp from an old map of mine.

Map Name:
    Route 49
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Comments: Also a revamp from an old map.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I missed the rom-hacking section, so i'm going to rate some maps. I'm going to be harsh, so don't be offended.

Refreshing my rusted mapping skills:
    Map Name: Route 32
    Game: Legend of Fenju - Gaoya
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

players coming from the bottom and will have to go through the cave and some routes and towns after it before he can take the right exit

Comments/Suggestions: Neti, this is awesome. I fell in love with this map, it's just great, the puzzle and all. But i don't like the tiles. U~U
    Rating: 7.5/10

Decided to post one of Shadow Blast's maps.
    ROM Base:Ruby
    Game:Pokemon Shadow Blast
    Map name:Sky Island
    Screenshot:
    skyisle.png

Basically,this is where you can catch Rayquaza in Shadow Blast.The Sky Ticket is needed to get here,as well as the bike.The grass contains very high level Pokemon(50-90's),and Team Shadow will hunt for Rayquaza here.They recruited Team Cipher's last surviving grunt,who gives you the beasts(3 spots needed.)

Comments/Suggestions: This is.. horrible. No offense. You just picked some tiles and placed them randomly on the map. Mapping tutorials help.
    Rating: 0/10

Map Name: Dewberry Village
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Comments/Suggestions: I like the way you placed the path; but you leave free space, and the rock there is irrevelant with all the scene.
    Rating: 4/10

Map Name: Route 251
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Comments: The route left of Dewberry Village. Tree shadows are pains.

Comments/Suggestions: That looks better. But there is a huge flaw: You can't connect this map with any other because its connection ends in the corner of the map, making it impossible toconnect with any other map.
    Rating: 6/10

Map Name: Konpeki Town
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Comments: A revamp from an old map of mine.

Comments/suggestions: I love your mapping style. Its just awesome. The tiles are too. But there is too much free space and the path shouldn't be too wide.
    Rating: 8/10

Map Name: Route 49
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Comments: Also a revamp from an old map.

Comments/Suggestions: The tiles are wonderful. Enough said.
    Rating: 9/10

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • I missed the rom-hacking section, so i'm going to rate some maps. I'm going to be harsh, so don't be offended.

Comments/Suggestions: Neti, this is awesome. I fell in love with this map, it's just great, the puzzle and all. But i don't like the tiles. U~U
    Rating: 7.5/10

Comments/Suggestions: This is.. horrible. No offense. You just picked some tiles and placed them randomly on the map. Mapping tutorials help.
    Rating: 0/10

Comments/Suggestions: I like the way you placed the path; but you leave free space, and the rock there is irrevelant with all the scene.
    Rating: 4/10

Comments/Suggestions: That looks better. But there is a huge flaw: You can't connect this map with any other because its connection ends in the corner of the map, making it impossible toconnect with any other map.

[/FONT]

Comments/suggestions: I love your mapping style. Its just awesome. The tiles are too. But there is too much free space and the path shouldn't be too wide.
    Rating: 8/10

Comments/Suggestions: The tiles are wonderful. Enough said.
    Rating: 9/10
    Ray, you DO NOT RATE THE MAP ABOUT TILES.

mitchel1

Rom-hacker/scripter
    Years
  • Map name: Purity Forest
    Map from: Pokemon dark cry: the legend of giratina.
    Base: Pokemon Fire red
    Comments: well like I said this map is from Pokemon dark cry: the legend of giratina so don't steal it. Please ignore the border block and te empty places, those woudn't be able to see in-game. (Btw, I bet for 5$ you wouldn't find a map bug :P)
    Map shot:
    Spoiler:

Map name: Route 601
    Map from: Pokemon dark cry: the legend of giratina.
    Base: Pokemon Fire red
    Comments: well like I said this map is from Pokemon dark cry: the legend of giratina so don't steal it. Please ignore the border block and te empty places, those woudn't be able to see in-game.
    Spoiler:

(Btw. Dark cry isn't dead, I'm only really bussy with personal life)
    Thats all people.
    -------------------------------------------
    Mitchel1

Years
  • Okay, I don't mind crit but at least crit properly.

Comments/Suggestions: I like the way you placed the path; but you leave free space, and the rock there is irrevelant with all the scene. There's a mountain line there. And are you gonna say you never see rocks, if you need to be 'natural'. Which I wasn't even going for. -.-
    Rating: 4/10 That's a bit of overkill, no? A rock and free space equals -6 points?

Comments/Suggestions: That looks better. But there is a huge flaw: You can't connect this map with any other because its connection ends in the corner of the map, making it impossible toconnect with any other map. There's such thing as double connections. :\
    Rating: 6/10 Overkill much? You didn't even rate the map, just said it can't be connected. Which it can.
    Some responses in bold.
    And, like Colourful Summer said, don't rate purely because of tiles; tiles that the mapper didn't even make. We have the Tile thread for that, funnily enough. :/

That post really annoyed me. :|

----

Map Name: Laelia City
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Comments: Please ignore the excessive amount of useless trees at the side. Imagine the two farthest towards the left didn't exist, because in the map I've got open in Advance Map, they don't. XD.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Now I'm just getting skipped. Can some one please rate this? Thank you~

--------------------------------

Hack: N/A
    Name: N/A
    Base Rom: Ruby
    Credits: Kyledove, Alistait, Zeikku, Jesse[TB Pro]
    Mapshot:

negative

Life returns. Life prevails.
    Years
  • Now I'm just getting skipped. Can some one please rate this? Thank you~

Mapshot:
    I see this is a more Nintendo styled maps, I like it, but it's a little too much...give a tile or two free in the wild grass- 8,5/10

My turn!
    Spoiler:

Hack: Colossal.
    Name: Goldenight City.
    Credits: Kyleove, Alucus, Fused, C.N.C.

Note: I know there is a tile error on the top-left edge. Please ignore it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2014
    I see this is a more Nintendo styled maps, I like it, but it's a little too much...give a tile or two free in the wild grass- 8,5/10

My turn!
    Spoiler:

Hack: Colossal.
    Name: Goldenight City.
    Credits: Kyleove, Alucus, Fused, C.N.C.

Note: I know there is a tile error on the top-left edge. Please ignore it.

Rating: 8/10. I love the placement of the trees as it looks very natural. The space to walk is also nice.

My turn I guess:

Base Rom: FireRed
    Hack Name: Orange Storm
    Tiles: Firered.

Spoiler:

This map leads from the First Gym City to the 2nd, including an early rival battle at the beginning. The higher levels of the cave are blocked off until the player gets more badges. I know the corners on the south side of the mountain are not right, but they're so far over, the player will never see it.

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
    Years
  • Map Name: Laelia City
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Comments: Please ignore the excessive amount of useless trees at the side. Imagine the two farthest towards the left didn't exist, because in the map I've got open in Advance Map, they don't. XD.

Well now, seems like I haven't creeped the map rating thread in a while. Let's fix that.

I'm a little disappointed by how bland this map is, first of all, compared to your other maps. Seems to lack the creative spark that the others had, and I suppose the rest of my rating will elaborate on that further. The only major problems I have are with the layout of paths and buildings.

• Path Placement - The biggest contributor to the blandness. I dislike people that constantly shout out "paths too square! make them more natural!", since it's true that man-made paths tend to be more square as opposed to "natural". With a big city like this, though, and with all the space you have left over, you have quite a bit of room left for more creativity. 3-4 houses together in perfect alignment? I'd avoid that. Slight shifts up or sideways a tile or two, or small additions of trees or other borders between houses, are all it takes to instantly make a town seem less square and more interesting. The dead ends you make for some of the houses? Expand those paths a bit and maybe fit a house on each turn. You can take out the far right house in the central row, make the path turn up there, and extend a path branch leading up to the mountain and move the house there. I could go on and on about possible changes. It doesn't have to be significant; interesting (or natural, if you want to call them that) maps are mostly a result of good broad ideas (which you have) and plenty of small-scale quirks and additions.
    • Building Placement - You crowded all of the utilities (mart, center, etc) into one corner. When creating a medium-sized town such as this one, I'd suggest putting the Pokemart and Pokecenter in different areas of the map. That way there isn't a huge imbalance between which places the player will definitely visit and which places are just sort of add-ons or filers.
    • Miscellaneous - And just some more little things I would add/change. The pond could be a little larger so it doesn't look like something that can't decide whether it wants to be a puddle or a lake. You have plenty of room to expand it anyways. I would also suggest adding a couple more small tree tiles throughout the map to fill up some space. The map has a couple chunks with a little more empty space than I'd like. There's also a tile error with the path above the Pokecenter.
    That pretty much sums it up. Flower placement is fine, mountains aren't anything special but they serve their purpose well enough. Tree border isn't too blocky. Overall a decent map, in my opinion! It could just use a little sprucing up, along with several rearrangements to take out some of the squareness. ;p

Final rating: 6/10

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Okay, I don't mind crit but at least crit properly.

Some responses in bold.
    And, like Colourful Summer said, don't rate purely because of tiles; tiles that the mapper didn't even make. We have the Tile thread for that, funnily enough. :/

That post really annoyed me. :|

----

I will rate maps however i want. And the map can't be connected. Did you try it? I did. It screws up the map(s).
    I never said i rated your mapping basing on the tiles. I just don't like your map. There is too much free space and the way you put the grass, the paths and the trees is Nintedo-ish, which is bad to me.
    I'm sorry, i just forgot to say why i didn't like your map.

Map Name: Laelia City
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Comments/Suggestions: The path is too square and it leaves almost no plain-grass tile. There is still some free space left. There is a mapping error in the PokeCenter. And don't just put flowers where you don't know what else to put. I also noticed that the important buildings are all gathered together, and these buildings can only interest a player, so the player won't bother explore the rest of the town.
    You have plenty of room to expand that 'lake', it's too small.

Years
  • Seeming as my last map was 0/10,here's a new map in the game.
    Name:Volcana Path
    Hack:Shadow blast
    ROM:Ruby
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Seeming as my last map was 0/10,here's a new map in the game.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

When you get a 0/10, you see what people said to do and fix it up, not show a new map with the exact same problems.

2/10, because it's not as bad. LOOK AT SOME MAPPING "TUTORIALS".

Halcyon

peace and serenity
    Years
  • Just in case people might have missed it...

Mapshot:

I find no problems at all but the bottom half looks empty.
    I don't really like the small trees however. 9/10

Seeming as my last map was 0/10,here's a new map in the game.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

It doesn't look natural AT ALL.
    Try seeing and refer on some high-rated maps. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back