• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Just reposting this map from 3 pages back. I dare anyone to rate it!

Map Rating/Review Thread

.LMG.

Yeah! Custom User Title!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2015
    Fire Red
    Hack: Pokemon Sacred Flame
    Name: Route 2
    Comments: Connected all four ways, sorry for the lame puzzle lake.
    Spoiler:

Name: Grand Lake 1
    Comments: Don't worry about the lake, I'll make a puzzle for it when I'm finished with all of it. It is also connected all four ways.
    Spoiler:
    I like how I always get skiped (someone please rate)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Name of Map: Surf Resort
    Game: FireRed BRPE
    Comments: Ignore the fact it's square. I can't avoid it. I also made this map for playability. Credit it on that, and also ignore the tree shading errors, if there is any.

Spoiler:

WOOHOO!!!!!!! 300th Post!!!!

This map has quite a few mapping faux pas.

Never, ever, ever should a map cut off the roof of a building like you have done to the Gym. Because of this, the mountain by the sea, the ocean itself this map has big border problems.

Tile errors are everywhere, especially that single line of mountain by the beach and the tree shadings.

Using the wrong roof for the connection buildings is bad too.

Also, what confuses me, is you've put wild grass in the town, but then made it separate. Really this map should be split in two for town and route.

The path, in both halves of the map, is much too blocky and thick. The map itself need more trees or buildings to fill up the empty space.

The Gym sign should be closer to the gym than a random wooden sign.

Everything is far too square and need some variety. I know you said don't rate it on it's squareness but square can be acceptable or not, and in this case it isn't doing any favours whatsoever.

Total Rating: 2/10

Aerow:

Love the tiles and how you have done the grass, the paths are also good but I feel there should be a bit of path by the house.

The map is also a bit repetitive with only trees, grass and sand. Perhaps try to include some flowers, bushes or smaller/different trees in too.

8/10

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    That's a proper awesome map there.
    I can't see anything wrong with the map, It's just ace
    97%

That's cus its in the wrong section :D Its an RMXP map he posted here accidently.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years

• no, thats NOT true! it's more easy to do tiles for RMXP but if someone is a good tiler(like me :P) everything is possible even on GBA games.........

That's all I said though...it's easier and you can have more. The ROM is limited by the GBA engine. RMXP is not.

At any rate, this is going off-topic, so I'm posting this:

Citrine City:
    Spoiler:

The top left house has been moved up a tile.

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
    Years
  • That's all I said though...it's easier and you can have more. The ROM is limited by the GBA engine. RMXP is not.

Citrine City:
    Spoiler:

you posted this map already very often^^

well, anyway I'll rate.......

the map is very nice, there are nor errors, it is a very pretty small village^^

what is not very good is the route east near the lab.....
    if there's a lab I suspect it's the first vilage, right? and 3 exite route at the first village is not very good :S
    and the route east near lab is just the worse, so maybe you could change this.......
    if not I also don't like above the house at the north that there's free space, because in the game someone would maybe think that there's a exite north of the house......

I'd give it 8.5/10

happy with your rating?^^

(with RMXP you can have more tiles but it's not a big advantage, because don't forget that with AM the tileset can have 512 tiles I think, and there are many tilesets, I came till over 100 tilesets.....(512x100 = 51200 tiles) (every tileset can have different pallettes: 13 pallettes/tileset = 13x100 = 1300 pallettes)
    I never really tried them because I don't need so much, anyway with AM we can do more than you think.....
    graphic of the game is my only talent so I work nearly only with AM and I found out many important and great things :D

you will see I'll make the hack with the best graphic, and then you'll see that RMXP is not a bigger advantage when being like me :P)

(I arrived in Italy 3 hours ago :D :P :D :P :D :P :D :P :D )

Last edited:
    Years
  • That's all I said though...it's easier and you can have more. The ROM is limited by the GBA engine. RMXP is not.

Citrine City:
    Spoiler:

Everything is very well placed. It has a lot of space. I also think the mountains need a bit more shape, but that might just be me.
    Anyway, I spotted a tile error so I've circled it for you. ;)
    Tile error:
    Spoiler:

I give it a 7.5/10.

Years
  • First map...

I'm still kinda new here... I put up my first map (first one I actually tried on)

Name: Tree Isle. Lake
    ROM: Pokemon Ruby (Emerald tiles)

This isn't the best, but I actually tried on this one, but still, it didn't turn out great...

Last edited:

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    these are a few maps i made today- oh yeah, and Miltank (the one that was sick in HG/SS) is dead now (her grave is pretty easy to see)
    OH YEAH ignore the red square around the events, i can't get rid of it

The first map is the outside of MooMoo Farm 4 years after HG/SS (yes i know you can get off the map, but you'll run into the border tiles)

The next one is the living room of the house in the top left of the map above
    second room behind the one above

The next one is the infirmary they used to nurse Miltank back to health

the last is a PLOT SHED :D the owner of the Farm asks you to go there and get something for someone yadayadaya idk

PeregrineFig

Starting Pokémon Obsidian
    Years
  • these are a few maps i made today- oh yeah, and Miltank (the one that was sick in HG/SS) is dead now (her grave is pretty easy to see)

The first map is the outside of MooMoo Farm 4 years after HG/SS (yes i know you can get off the map, but you'll run into the border tiles)

the last is a PLOT SHED :D the owner of the Farm asks you to go there and get something for someone yadayadaya idk

I like your indoor maps. However, that one outside the Moomoo Farm has a ridiculous amount of open space. Use trees or something to fill that up, or at least the part with the regular darker grass. I understand you'll probably have the part with the lighter grass dotted in Pokemon sprites, like the Miltanks in GSC.

This is the Triad City Power Plant, second Team Aqua hideout and part of a fairly major story event. I usually hate my indoor maps, but I think this one came out pretty nice. I swear I spent the same amount of time editing the map and editing the blocks. Ignore the errors with the cans with a dark part of the tile behind them, I spotted and fixed this right after I took the mapshot.

Spoiler:

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
    Years
  • these are a few maps i made today- oh yeah, and Miltank (the one that was sick in HG/SS) is dead now (her grave is pretty easy to see)

I'd give the first map about an 8.5/10 because the border doesn't work at all, and 'cause there's just a little too much room... Just adding to PFs rating...

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    i added a few trees and the Miltank (well pretend they are miltanks at least lol)
    i don't really like it- something about it seems off to me- but here it is

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Map Name: Crosea Town (Crow-shay-uh)

ROM: FireRed BPRE

Hack Name: Pokémon Darkest Shadows

Comments: This is the starting map of Darkest Shadows. It is set in a hole in the side of a mountain, and there is a path leading to the south which leads to the further area of Sentohr. The snow leaves footprints, and... That's all I can think of at the moment, please rate with Rating/10, comments/suggestions. Thank you

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back