• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2010
    I just recently got back into ROM hacking (and Pokemon in general), and thought I'd post this map I made a couple of days ago.

Map Name: [unnamed as of yet]

Game: Emerald

Comments: It's a mountain-style map that sits just west of Route 119. The gatehouse to it is blocked off until you collect 8 badges. In the grass are wild Pokemon whose levels range from 44 to 50. The house at the top is just a rest house where you can heal your Pokemon. Not really a part of any hack that I'm making, just an exercise in map creation. Tell me what you think! :D

tjwilliams24

Gone.
    Years
  • I just recently got back into ROM hacking (and Pokemon in general), and thought I'd post this map I made a couple of days ago.

Map Name: [unnamed as of yet]

Game: Emerald

Comments: It's a mountain-style map that sits just west of Route 119. The gatehouse to it is blocked off until you collect 8 badges. In the grass are wild Pokemon whose levels range from 44 to 50. The house at the top is just a rest house where you can heal your Pokemon. Not really a part of any hack that I'm making, just an exercise in map creation. Tell me what you think! :D

I overall like the map, I believe you could make it a little smaller, or if not smaller, add some trainers. The map seems kind of odd due to the abrupt end at the top of the mountain. Maybe add a cave entrance and some trainers, and then bring it back. =]

Darksun

triple rainbow, yo
    Years
  • This is my first map, so I will improve. ;)

Map Rating/Review Thread

Pretty basic and boring, but whatevah. Mix of Pallet + random map.

Credits (SSKD Project);
    → Kyledove
    → Saurav
    → Alistair
    → TB Pro

Chaos190

Likes to Hack Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2016
    This is my first map, so I will improve. ;)

Map Rating/Review Thread

Pretty basic and boring, but whatevah. Mix of Pallet + random map.

Credits (SSKD Project);
    → Kyledove
    → Saurav
    → Alistair
    → TB Pro

Pretty good in overall but in my opinion don't like the rocks being to close together you know the ones that aren't on the mountain ;)
    Kinda the same with the bushes.
    Other wise I like your map so I'll give you
    6.35/10

Here's my map I made. It includes a Celebi event :)
    Plantation Forest.
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Wild pokemon are from 58 - 69
    That's not Giovoni that's his cousin Terry

Here is an edit of route 101 in Ruby
    TILE ERROR I know about already
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Spoiler:

1st Map

I'm finding it incredible hard to look past the terrible tileset, it's full of errors and the palettes are bad too XD But I'll try to ignore that.

First thing I notice is how uneven the map is, the left side is really busy and cramped but the right side is much more open. The right side looks far better than the left as it's walkways give the player just a bit more room.

Next comes the squareness, there are very few trees breaking up the square border, which make the whole map look very unnatural. The ledges are also very straight, and make the map a bit too awkward considering it's not a large route.

There is far too much wild grass, it's overwhelming. Do it in groups not just a whole carpet.

Flowers - group them together a bit (2s or 3s), diagonally touching looks good. Best to keep them out of the wild grass.

Sign should not just have a random path around it, and there should be a path present in the direction of the map (From top the bottom - not the whole way but in bits).

4/10

2nd Map

I really dislike this map sorry, it's just too small. It's less of a route and more of a junction with exits off every side, it's not something I like to see in a hack.

Far too much grass, see previous comment.

Also the way in which you have used the ledges to cut the player off is weird, making any trip down that route could get a bit annoying if you fell over by accident :P.

3/10

PeregrineFig

Starting Pokémon Obsidian
    Years
  • I moved my new endeavor to FireRed after discovering the rombase on Ruby had messed up door animations and I had no knowledge of how to mess with those. I completely redid Algus Village while keeping the same basic principle but thinking about the other criticisms, and I think this one looks much, much better. Note: Don't criticize on that little path leading almost behind the big house, there's going to be an NPC back there.

Map Rating/Review Thread

PEPITO1O1O

~Saïx~
    Years
  • Very plain. There is no flowers. The bridge that connects from one route to another. if you go left or right of the bridge where will you get? I suggest you put trees to block those slots and fill it in when you make the next area so it will balance out. Very nice water done. I can't do that very well xD.
    Your mountains are pretty good.

4.8/10

Thanks :) Flowers coming in, the bridge is still a work in progress but I'll keep in mind what you said. And the mountains i justed edit so they look better. (Neti has a tutorial for good mountians, water, and trees)

mitchell114

Owner of Pokemon Yango version
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    first town of my hack
    Map Rating/Review Thread

credits:
    Laidjon - three's
    alistair - grass tiles
    wesley fg - house, flowers
    ??? - path (I don't remember his name)

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
  • Map Name: Pallet Town

Map Game: Firered

Comments: Just a map I've been working on. Possibly for my own hack someday :D

Spoiler:

Collen

I have returned.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    Map Name: Pallet Town

Map Game: Firered

Comments: Just a map I've been working on. Possibly for my own hack someday :D
    Spoiler:
    It's a nice little map.
    Two things bug me, though:
    You should mix up the grass tiles. FireRed has 4 versions of grass. They're supposed to be mixed around and stuff.
    Also, where the mountain overlaps the water, the shading is a bit off. Otherwise, it's nice.

7.5/10

Last edited:

Chaos190

Likes to Hack Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2016
    first town of my hack
    Map Rating/Review Thread

credits:
    Laidjon - three's
    alistair - grass tiles
    wesley fg - house, flowers
    ??? - path (I don't remember his name)
    Excellent Map.
    The Big and Little trees go very well together.
    The only suggestion is that I think you should put some bushes you know to make it look a little nicer.
    Overall the starting town is wonderful.
    9.5/10

Years
  • Map - Remapping viridian forest from scratch

comments - I made this from my memory of the forest and some attempt to have a little bit of aesthetic modification.

In the hack I am thinking about making this map would be reached about a 1/4 of the way through the game, and there will be some cut-able trees not visible here.

Just curious whether this is any good. I am not expecting much since I just picked up this skill.

Last edited:

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years

comments - I made this from my memory of the forest and some attempt to have a little bit of aesthetic modification.

In the hack I am thinking about making this map would be reached about a 1/4 of the way through the game, and there will be some cut-able trees not visible here.

Just curious whether this is any good. I am not expecting much since I just picked up this skill.

First...love those tiles. The colours are perfect.

Second...I can't believe you made Viridian forest look GOOD. I've always hated that map. It's square and forces the player to run in circles. Most remaps only make it more maze-like. Buut...you've made it so much better. =D It looks nice.

So, the shape of the forest is good. The patches of tall grass are well-spaced and reasonably sized. There's some variety to the short grass...hm, maybe too much variety. You have a few different spots of sand here are there that I wouldn't use at all, because you can hardly tell it's meant to be sand. You use four different kinds of flowers. I would stick with just two. The red flowers look especially strange, because they're large, bright coloured, and there are only three of them. You also use four kinds of trees. I don't think the one-tile bushes belong there. They're a revamp of gold/silver, right? They were fine for 2nd gen games, but since the addition of two-tile trees, they look ridiculously small in comparison.

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years

I agree with most of what rabbit says... ditch the red flowers, and imo, both of the smaller kinds of trees. It completely contradicts my style, but I'm still thinking that it would look best with just the two bigger trees in there. It also feels just a little bit too square in certain places... but I'm not sure if I should worry about that since it's a remake of Viridian.

If you're looking for a number rating, it's definitely somewhere in the 7-8 range. An amazing job for a first timer.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Map Name: COBALT TOWN
    Comments: A starting town. Literally. :/
    Map Shot:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2010
    Map Name: COBALT TOWN
    Comments: A starting town. Literally. :/
    Map Shot:
    Spoiler:
    It's a very basic town, just how a starter town should be. Maybe put some of those red flowers around.
    I don't really see anything wrong with it. 9.5/10

Here's my starter town. A small farming town on the edge of a forest, Tanzan Town provides the rest of the region with freshly-grown berries.
    It's my first map, but don't be afraid to give some good criticism!

Spoiler:

Last edited:

TehHepticOne

Pokemon fanatic?!
    Years
  • Hey guys, just wondering if you guys will rate my map

Map Name: None yet...

Game: Fire Red

Comments: I felt like experimenting with the trees so if it looks bad please just say so! =D This is also where the player starts at the beginning of the game and the players house is at the top right corner of the map on the mountains. The gym looking building is a just sub for a lab.

Credits: The SSKD Project
    -TB Pro
    -Alistair
    -Kyledove
    -Saurav

Darksun

triple rainbow, yo
    Years
  • This is from a bigger map I'm currently working on. I know there are some errors with the tree-shading-stuff, but it's a work in progress. And my second "serious" map. :)

Spoiler:

Any constructive criticism, and maybe a rating ?

EDIT:

I changed some (;)) stuff I didn't like~

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Chaos190

Likes to Hack Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2016
    This is from a bigger map I'm currently working on. I know there are some errors with the tree-shading-stuff, but it's a work in progress. And my second "serious" map. :)

Spoiler:

Any constructive criticism, and maybe a rating ?

EDIT:

I changed some (;)) stuff I didn't like~

Spoiler:
    Pretty good. You already known that the Tree Shading is off. No offence the edits you made was getting rid of all the bushes and replacing some rocks near the far right house. I like how you gave this map shape and that makes me pleased.

8.5/10

On the otherhand I've created Littleroot Town using FR/lG tiles.
    Tell how it looks :)
    Spoiler:

I plan on making a game starting from scratch using FR/LG tiles to recreate RSE and making it a lot harder

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back