• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2010
    well, you town is....alright....but, there are some useless things like the paths on the top or left of the map, they are useless, put rather paths to connect the houses, then the bunch of trees in the middle is....not bad, but personally I don't really like it, but well, depends on the mapping style^^
    and finally, it is a starter town so for the main hero's house it is better if you use a "special" house, maybe just a bigger house and not the basic house....

rating:
    5/10

the route, well, it is really well done, I did'nt find any tile errors or anything else, but....I don't know why but it seems kinda empty, maybe you can add more grass, and maybe also more trees, I personnally don't like open borders, even if there is then the border tiles I still don't like it :S
    and overall I don't really like nintendo style either, but well, I'll rate without taking it in count, if not I like the way the firest is connected though a route, it i really good!

rating:
    8/10

now you can maybe rate my maps?^^
    The "paths" in the town are actually supposed to be soil patches since it's a farming town. I didn't see a "loamy soil" tile like in R/S/E. Also, I figured that a large house would look out of place in a small farming town such as this. I could maybe add a sign/mailbox that shows that it's the player's house.

Thanks anyway.

Last edited:

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    here is the 5th city to my hack.
    reason there are so many flowers near the gym and house next to it is because that is the gym leaders house, and it is a grass type gym.
    rom base: fire red
    hack: pokemon investigation

Map Rating/Review Thread

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
    Years
  • Gimme your best shot..

Spoiler:

your map is tooooo big and for this tooooo empty......
    and your map is also kinda square, like the mountain in the middle or all the surrounding of the map.......
    and there are also a efw border errors, and the bottom left, if you go on the mountain in the corner your will see the error of the border tiles.....

rating:
    4/10

can you maybe rate my maps a few posts above you or anyone else?
    I got only 1 rating and a non-detailed rating, I want someone to comment them properly and rate then^^
    thx :)

RedBaron474

I don't even know
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Nov 26, 2016
    Map Name: Amber Pass

Game: Fire Red
    Comments: Umm . . . to tell you the truth this is the first map I have ever made. Different trees I didn't connect because I lacked the desire to block edit. Enjoy!! ;)
    Spoiler:

Skipped from a long time ago . . .

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2010
    reason there are so many flowers near the gym and house next to it is because that is the gym leaders house, and it is a grass type gym.

Spoiler:
    The bottom left part of the map is very square. I would add some variation to the trees.
    I won't critique the flowers by the Gym, though there are quite a lot. However, the flowers at the top of the map should be spread around the town, not clustered all together.
    There is an obvious tile error on the second house to the left of the PokeCenter that should be fixed.

Rating: 5/10

Can you or someone else please rate my maps? I'm the third post from the top. I only got one rating, which was severely lacking in detail. I'd like someone to give proper suggestions and a rating please. xD

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    Fourth time's the charm, I suppose? Eh, probably not...

Town Name: Tanzan Town
    Description: A small farming town on the edge of a forest, Tanzan Town provides the rest of the region with freshly-grown berries. This is the main character's home town.

Spoiler:

Route Name: Route 1 (for now at least)
    Description: Connects Tanzan Town to Tanzan Woods.

Spoiler:

They're my first maps, but don't be afraid to give some good criticism!

EDIT:

Pros:
    - The tree placement is nice. Not too square, not too wild.
    - The grass placement is also nice, for the same reason.

Cons:
    - That river looks a bit weird to me. Those zig-zags make it look unnatural in my opinion. Make it flow more smoothly in the place where it looks jagged.
    - Instead of having the river stop abruptly like that, perhaps a bridge would look better? Having the land cut the river into two parts like that looks odd to me.

Rating: 8/10

I hope that helped a little!

the first one i think is good 10/10, but the route i'd give a 5/10 because you don't have to walk through graa to get to the forrest. just my opinion, but i thing that it should force you to battle, like most routes.

Lyzo

Back from vacation
    Years
  • Mkay, so I have some time...

Fourth time's the charm, I suppose? Eh, probably not...

Town Name: Tanzan Town
    Description: A small farming town on the edge of a forest, Tanzan Town provides the rest of the region with freshly-grown berries. This is the main character's home town.

Spoiler:

Route Name: Route 1 (for now at least)
    Description: Connects Tanzan Town to Tanzan Woods.

Spoiler:

They're my first maps, but don't be afraid to give some good criticism!

Ok, they're definitely not bad for first maps!

The First Town: Well, it's good to know that those paths on the side are farm patches, but still the player doesn't know that, so you'll need to make some extra tiles for that... But ignoring that, here's my other comments:
    First of all, the border with trees is very well done, you haven't made it square at all and you've "randomed it up" nicely. Here and there you could add an extra tree, but it's done quite well.
    The house placement is ok, but what really bothers me about this map, is that it is quite empty. Fill it up with paths, that will give it a bit of a fuller feeling.
    The thing that you did in the center of the map is meh... xD It doesn't look very natural, try to fill it up with something else. Try a few different things, maybe just some extra trees, or something with fences or bushes, I dunno, but don't put ledges in a square like that. Ledges often don't belong in a town at all.
    As an extra touch, try not to put the flowers to the side like that and so close together. Put them throughout the map and try to avoid putting them next to each other.
    Oh, and try to do the tree shading correctly! (shading when it's next to a tree and when there is no tree, then no shading)

Uhm, I'd give it a 6/10

The Route: Again, tree shading xD!!! One thing about routes, a player must never be able to walk through a route without going through tall grass! This is exactly what is happening in your map! The tree placement is again done wonderfully. Also try to add some paths in there, it fills the map up.
    Also nicely done, with using all the different types of grass tiles ;)

I'd give this a 7/10

well here are the cave maps for my first beta
    Hack: Pokemon Investigation
    game: Fire Red

part 1
    Spoiler:

part 2
    Spoiler:

About posting maps... please don't use that white color... it makes it annoying to read, also please post your maps in spoilers! I did it for you now, but otherwise it takes up space...

Buuut moving on to the rating of these maps! I'm not exactly sure how these two maps are connected, seeing as one ladder goes up and two are going down :\...
    But... you should really work on natural mapping, I've seen more of your maps and you should try do do things with the comments you get...
    These aren't very natural, try to connect each mountain with the side of the map, you don't see mountains in caves do you? Make them more like walls by connecting them together. Add more layers to the border and random them up a bit, you've got them exactly the same as the previous layers... Try looking at how QuilavaKing makes his cave maps, as he is a genius at making them xD Here's an example:
    Spoiler:

It might seem like a lot of work, and believe me, it is xD But the result is really nice. The average amount of time put into a good map is probably about 2 - 5 hours, depending on the size of the map. But study other maps to get your maps right ;)

Gimme your best shot..

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Wow, this is becoming a long post xD

I disagree that this map is too large, a map can almost never be too large, if you fill it up correctly and beautifully. But I have to say, that this map is very unnatural. The mountains are very square, try making those mountain edges more random because the way they are now, well it doesn't look nice... The rest of the map is really empty, which is why simdu probably said that the map was too big, try putting more trees in there, and don't put them there in square patches, but make them like Breets does (The maps at the top of this post). But really fill the map up with more trees. Put some more flowers in there, add some bushes and most importantly, how about adding a few paths here and there? Also, the fence idea with the trees, at the top of the map, it's a nice try, but it doesn't really look natural.

I also notice a lot of tile errors when it comes to the mountain areas!

Rating: 4.5/10 (really work on it a bit more!)

Map Name: Amber Pass
    Game: Fire Red
    Comments: Umm . . . to tell you the truth this is the first map I have ever made. Different trees I didn't connect because I lacked the desire to block edit. Enjoy!! ;)
    Spoiler:

Your first map? That I don't believe xD It's way too good for a first map xD

Well I actually really, really like this map. It's great how you used 5 different kinds of trees, this really adds great variety to the map! Your tree placement is also really great, those paths in there are great as well. But, however nice it may look, there is really too much tall grass in there. When walking through here as a player, you'd probably hate this forest, because you'd be getting into too many battles. Try putting the grass together in patches (and no, not square patches, because that would ruin the natural look of the map, but just patches that block the road and aren't so spread out). I'm not exactly sure how you'll be doing this with the border block :\ But I love the rest of this map!

Rating: 9/10 (bonus points for it being your first map, but point deduction because of the playability of the map)

Well that was it xD

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • map name: route 3
    map game: FR
    Spoiler:

comments: well, it's a map I made on FR just like this, but I really like this map so I'll redo it in my hack^^
    credits: nintendo

Awesome river! It looks really natural with the waterfall and canyon around it. A+ work on that. The rest is fairly unexciting. I don't like how symmetrical the area with the tall grass is. I think you could make the bottom side of the canyon steeper. That way you'd give the player more space in that area and make it more visually interesting.

map name: donnow, starter town^^
    Spoiler:

comments: a map for someone else's hack, so I want to know the rating to have the map as good as possible since it's for someone else^^

Eh...I don't like the shape on this one. The top house is really isolated from the others, which is going to be annoying for the player. I prefer the standard square layout for starter towns. The flowers are scattered around pretty much randomly. It's interesting that you elevated the lab, though.

Skipped from a long time ago . . .

I do love these tiles. And I like the way the trees are staggered - it gives patches of trees a rounder shape than the usual square pattern. I wish you were more consistent with that, because when you switch placement methods, you get holes between trees.

There are lots of itty bitty paths in this forest, like the one at the top and the one between two patches of trees in the middle. Can the player actually enter these paths? Are they meant to lead anywhere? You also have really wide paths, like in the left half of the map. It's a little confusing. I prefer maps with a clearly visible 'main route' to make it easy for the player. Because you don't have that, the player will have to wade through miles of tall grass.

The map is also rather uniform - one side looks much like the other. It's just a vague sort of forest. Maybe if you added a large pond, or some ledges, to give it structure.

Looking closely, I can actually count six kinds of trees. Are you going to be using the same varieties of trees in all of your maps? It might be a good idea to save some trees for certain areas, to give the impression of a different climate/landscape. Furthermore, the variety might go unnoticed because all of the trees use the same palette. Your two fir trees are practically identical, and the two two-tile trees are also quite similar at a first glance.

Last edited:

siper x

I'm Russia, Fear Russia
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2023
    well here is route 3 for my hack (the building is a fake gym run by the evil team)
    Spoiler:

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019

map name: donnow, starter town^^
    Spoiler:

comments: a map for someone else's hack, so I want to know the rating to have the map as good as possible since it's for someone else^^

well, this starter town is awesome, in my opinion. natural aspect is really realistic! yeah probably it's a little bit annoying for the player, so i hope that player/hero 's house is the one in the middle, so it's at half path between the lab (i really like how you arranged it) and your rival's house and you don't spend too much time going back and forth.
    By the way may I use this idea and recreate this map for my blue hack (1st gen hack)? I probably won't release it ever, so..?

rating: 9/10

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2010
    Ok, they're definitely not bad for first maps!

The First Town: Well, it's good to know that those paths on the side are farm patches, but still the player doesn't know that, so you'll need to make some extra tiles for that... But ignoring that, here's my other comments:
    First of all, the border with trees is very well done, you haven't made it square at all and you've "randomed it up" nicely. Here and there you could add an extra tree, but it's done quite well.
    The house placement is ok, but what really bothers me about this map, is that it is quite empty. Fill it up with paths, that will give it a bit of a fuller feeling.
    The thing that you did in the center of the map is meh... xD It doesn't look very natural, try to fill it up with something else. Try a few different things, maybe just some extra trees, or something with fences or bushes, I dunno, but don't put ledges in a square like that. Ledges often don't belong in a town at all.
    As an extra touch, try not to put the flowers to the side like that and so close together. Put them throughout the map and try to avoid putting them next to each other.
    Oh, and try to do the tree shading correctly! (shading when it's next to a tree and when there is no tree, then no shading)

Uhm, I'd give it a 6/10

The Route: Again, tree shading xD!!! One thing about routes, a player must never be able to walk through a route without going through tall grass! This is exactly what is happening in your map! The tree placement is again done wonderfully. Also try to add some paths in there, it fills the map up.
    Also nicely done, with using all the different types of grass tiles ;)

I'd give this a 7/10
    Thanks for taking the time to post such an in-depth review! I will take these points into account when recreating the maps.
    I just have a quick question though. What do you mean by tree shading?

Lyzo

Back from vacation
    Years
  • Thanks for taking the time to post such an in-depth review! I will take these points into account when recreating the maps.
    I just have a quick question though. What do you mean by tree shading?

No problem ;)

What I mean with tree shading is that you have two different tree tiles in the tileset, as you may have noticed. The one has more shade in the back than the other.

Here is your first map again with some markings:
    Spoiler:

The red squares are examples of the shaded tiles. While the purple squares are examples of the non shaded tiles ;)

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2010
    No problem ;)

What I mean with tree shading is that you have two different tree tiles in the tileset, as you may have noticed. The one has more shade in the back than the other.

Here is your first map again with some markings:
    Spoiler:

The red squares are examples of the shaded tiles. While the purple squares are examples of the non shaded tiles ;)
    Oh, wow, I didn't even notice the variations in trees! Guess I have to fix that, huh?
    Thanks a ton for pointing that out to me! I'd have never caught that! xD

Chaos190

Likes to Hack Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2016

Map Rating/Review Thread
    Pretty good expect the one tile spot in the left corner. (Can you explain that?) Also the house in the middle has a bad tile error. The ledge all the way to the left has a tile error as well. Same as the other side.
    5.5/10

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Map Name: None.

Map Game: Emerald

Comments: Made for my hack, which still doesn't have a name... lol. This one took quite awhile, but it was worth it. About the strength puzzle... the hole in the middle will be walk-over-able after pushing two of the boulders into it, and if you look at the ice directly south of the boulder puzzle, you'll see that there is a patch of breakable ice from FR/LG. I tried to blend it in, but I dunno if I did a very good job of it... Anyway, it's there because you're supposed to push another boulder into it, but I didn't want the player to be able to fall in while sliding around on the ice. Oh, and the items are just collectibles scattered around for an extra challenge. I wouldn't actually put 7 items on the same floor lol.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • Map Name: None.

Map Game: Emerald

Comments: Made for my hack, which apparently doesn't deserve it's own thread... I really disagree with that decision, so I'm trying to get it fixed... in the mean time, I'll be posting the occasional ice puzzle here for everyone to try and figure out. Moving on... This one took quite awhile, but it was worth it. About the strength puzzle... the hole in the middle will be walk-over-able after pushing two of the boulders into it, and if you look at the ice directly south of the boulder puzzle, you'll see that there is a patch of breakable ice from FR/LG. I tried to blend it in, but I dunno if I did a very good job of it... Anyway, it's there because you're supposed to push another boulder into it, but I didn't want the player to be able to fall in while sliding around on the ice. Oh, and the items are just collectibles scattered around for an extra challenge. I wouldn't actually put 7 items on the same floor lol.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

R/S cave tiles, awesome. You've done an excellent job of making it un-square - this is the most natural looking map I've seen in a while. Even the random lumps of rock in the middle of the ice look good.

It's also the biggest ice puzzle I've ever seen. Have you actually played through it? It's fairly easy to get to the boulder puzzle from the stairs down - so easy, in fact, that some of the rocks seem superfluous. Once the boulder puzzle is finished, though, there seems no way for the player to continue. She falls into the crevasse with the item at the bottom and runs out of options. There's a similar problem with the path from the stairs up. Once the player passes the patch of ground and rock in the middle of the ice, she moves down and to the right, picking up the item there. From there, the only way to go is left and up, which leads to another item. But from that item, you can only go down and right...the player is stuck.

Some areas seem to be unreachable, like the item at the very top, and the patch of ground surrounded by rock not far from the stairs up. I could be wrong. It's annoying not being able to actually play through it. If you have a solution to the puzzle, post the path through it, 'cause I'd like to see it.

Ooh, tile error! You're missing an elbow tile on a rock pyramid in the bottom half.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back