• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating Thread

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    The mountains look really strange, but that's not for me to comment on.

As ^ said, yes, overuse of fences. There's no need to block off what's already blocked off, even if it'd make sense in "real life". It's Pokemon, not real life, you don't need to block cliffs because movement permissions do so anyway.

Years
    Just a map I did of Littleroot. I find its a bit empty though, especially behind the house on the right as I added a pond to the left. Anyone got any suggestions? Also, is the placement of the small trees ok or should I just remove them?
    Map Rating Thread

Edit: Oh and credit to Dewitty for the houses and Alistair for the other tiles.
    Edit2: and also Alucus for the wooden sign and letterbox.
    Edit3: (lol...) btw, this map was only done in about 10 or so minutes so don't expect it to be perfect. Just a bit of practice.

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
    @ Mrchewy: nah, just ripped the tiles. I see what you mean with the fences and all; I just didn't want the mother and child standing near the cliffs to feel like they were in danger XD. The enclosed area is actually a research pen, lol. Oh, and about the green... it was just a roof theme. It was based off of a map I created in the GSC style, which is why it looks like that.

@ Ninja Caterpie: yep, definitely got it about the fences. Will remove the cliffside ones. Lol in the actual game the hill will have flowers on it, and so will the pens near the houses.

Years
    Weird to see someone actually still uses those old things!

Well I couldn't find many hoenn tiles so I just used yours. I think I might look at your Littleroot map to see what Peeky is talking about, and make the necessary changes.

Edit: I don't see what your talking about Peeky, mine looks completely different right down to the placement of trees.

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Ok so heres the concept map for the profs lab in my game.

Map Rating Thread

Credit to alistair for the trees tall grass and water.
    Credit to Dew for the plant pot trees.
    Everything else is made by and belongs to me, and is not for public use.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    @Soul.//Sliver: I just thought they looked a bit too similar.
    @Alucus_Of_Borg: Really good! Your tiles match the lab really well. I like how you've made it bigger than the main game ones, more realistic. The window to the inner garden is great too. The only part which isn't good is Dew and Alistair's bits, they just don't compare.
    98/100

incognito322

Years
    @ Alucus_Of_Borg: I adore that map. My pokemon lab doesn't compare (yet, I'm not totally done with it, but still...) My only issues are the object (table, machine) shadows being a bit light, and the parts of the map at the top of the walls (the gray areas) need a little more contrast. But I love how bright everything looks. :P

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Algen City

Name: Algen City
    Engine: RPG Maker XP
    Comments: I'm new to map making; I don't use custom tilesets (unless I accidentally downloaded a custom one somewhere... I don't think so). Algen is supposed to be a quaint, relatively small city - like Azalea, but as you can see, Algen is a bit bigger.
    Screenshot:

Map Rating Thread

Ignore the little transparent squares; those are doors or people events.

Algen - the city of nature! ^^ It boarders the sea, the forest, and the mountains.

Also, this is Route 4, just after the Ivy Forest:

Map Rating Thread

Again, transparent squares are Pokeballs, events, etc. This route, like Algen, boarders the mountains and the forest.

P.S. I do see the error on the waterfall(s); I'm trying to find the "rushing water" tile for the river as well, but I haven't found it as of yet, thus why there's the still water after the waterfall.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    I like the flow of both of your maps. I feel like both of your bridges on both maps are missing shadows underneath them unless I'm missing something. I feel like you could use more "breaks" in the grass in Ivy Forest but otherwise really nice job.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Thanks, but Ivy Forest is before Route 4. This is the Ivy Forest:

Map Rating Thread

Very green lol It's not much of a maze like other Pokemon games, but it's nice. I'm thinking of adding cliffs.

>I got a good comment yay<

~~

As for shadows, yeah... I didn't put them in... yet >>;

incognito322

Years
    Need an opinion on my maps:

Should I use the recolored darker HGSS tree or the other, more natural-looking one?

Spoiler:

And for my second city, should I use the original style roofs or the flat roofs?

Spoiler:

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Need an opinion on my maps:

Should I use the recolored darker HGSS tree or the other, more natural-looking one?

Spoiler:

And for my second city, should I use the original style roofs or the flat roofs?

Spoiler:

Totally prefer STANDARD . The other trees look pretty weird ...

Also , use the Flat Roofs . The houses seem larger , not taller like they look with the other kind of roof .

Bordew5

PokéTect
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2012
    1st I would like to say, great work on those maps for your game Incognito :).
    2nd, DON'T use the flat roofed homes, they're too bland and ordinary. The other tall ones look European and look good with the tulips.
    3rd, for the trees how about a completely different idea. I made these trees using the tree from Mahogany town and colored them to match your current ones,
    Map Rating Thread

I hope you like it :) if you do I'll be more than happy to send you the tree in a message.

Also, if you want, I'd love to make some buildings, trees, etc, for the maps for your game ;).

Last edited:

incognito322

Years
    Eh my pointy recolored Mahogany Town trees. I have some too, but they're darker. They actually look beautiful with that recolored palette. And about buildings and trees... I would love some help. We could collaborate XD. Also, I havent' changed the trees, but I want to get some crit on this map here. It's Route 49, the first route in the game. 2 horizontal map squares.
    I seem to like the natural look...

Spoiler:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    This may be just me, but there seems to be a lot of random ledges and blocky chunks of grass.... in the lower-middle, there`s also a tiny gap between the trees. You should make it a bit wider or close it off completely.

^ Just my opinion

Flat rooves are better, btw.

incognito322

Years
    Oh, the gap is a shortcut back so you don't have to trudge through the grass XD. I guess it'll make more sense when I have all of the events in (which only makes sense).

Back