• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating Thread

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    Map Rating Thread

An update of the home town for XENOTIME.
    Credits:
    Alucus_Of_Borg
    Alistair
    Kyledove
    zetavares
    Although it's my own pallets so don't steal.
    Comments?

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
    I love the tropical feel. You should change the water, though. Make it fade from a bright turquoise into a deep cerulean. And I think the beach would stand out more if it were white-sand (like Cherrygrove, Sandgem, Cianwood, etc.)

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    @Yusshin: Thanks. I know what you mean about the water.

@incognito322: Thanks. I'm going to change the sand. And yeah, but I just can't find any auto tiles :'(

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
    1st I would like to say, great work on those maps for your game Incognito :).
    2nd, DON'T use the flat roofed homes, they're too bland and ordinary. The other tall ones look European and look good with the tulips.
    3rd, for the trees how about a completely different idea. I made these trees using the tree from Mahogany town and colored them to match your current ones,
    Map Rating Thread

I hope you like it :) if you do I'll be more than happy to send you the tree in a message.

Also, if you want, I'd love to make some buildings, trees, etc, for the maps for your game ;).

Can't see a whole lot about the map given the small screenshot, but it looks really quite impressive; I think the trees are really pretty good.

Slightly off-topic, but how does one actually go about ripping tiles from HGSS? I thought it'd be difficult given the constant 3D perspective. Has there been a public sheet released?

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Can't see a whole lot about the map given the small screenshot, but it looks really quite impressive; I think the trees are really pretty good.

Slightly off-topic, but how does one actually go about ripping tiles from HGSS? I thought it'd be difficult given the constant 3D perspective. Has there been a public sheet released?

You cant actually rip them, but trees are pretty simple, cus they work on a follow me script, so the perspective doesn't mess up they look pretty much the same from where ever the player looks at them from, so its easy to print-screen and scale the size down.

Alucia

Random tile/map artist
    Years
    • She/Her They/Them
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    Well its not quite complete yet, in fact there's loads of work still to do on it, but I thought I may as well show it to you guys and see what you think.
    Its an anime exact pallet town that im working on for gaiaprojects on deviantart.

WARNING HUGE AND I MEAN HUGE IMAGE, SO ITS LINKED TO.

LINK

Karel_Kazuki

Wants to Learn about PKMN Rmxp
    Years
    You might wanna put something in that big space northo of the town...other than that its pretty awesome...

Years
    Well, he did say it wasn't complete yet...

Anyway, the map is coming along awesomely, Alucus. I really like the way the trees flow. The paths are very well done, too, but I think they could use come pebbles or something to make them a little less boring. I especially like the way you did Oak's lab. Very nice, there.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
    Well here is the same route with two different ways it is being created, both are a WIP the second is more finished than the first, just curious which direction I should take the map in. So which do you like

First:
    Spoiler:

OR
    Second:
    Spoiler:

Just let me know which you like best.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    First is better, but the cave doesn't go anywhere.

I have to say, I dislike you as a person but you are putting more effort into your game then most so for that I applaud you.

KingCharizard

Years
    First is better, but the cave doesn't go anywhere.

I have to say, I dislike you as a person but you are putting more effort into your game then most so for that I applaud you.

How do you dislike some1 you dont even know, so I have very different opinions, which most of you dont agree with. You dont dislike some1 cause they have different views. Personally I dont really care but If you like me or not, to me each of us are just a Screen name, and we'll never meet or be friends in person. But to dislike some1 cause they view things differently is quite shallow and deserves a remark.

Now on to your opinion, I do like the first one, but I didnt actually think it was better. Thats a cave entrance, to a bigger cave. Think of digglets cave.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Now, y'see, I prefer the second one, but that's perhaps just because it looks more complete. The first one has a ledge in the middle for what seems like no reason at all.

The map in general doesn't have a very interesting space-filling path, I think. Nice mapping skills, though.

KingCharizard

Years
    Now, y'see, I prefer the second one, but that's perhaps just because it looks more complete. The first one has a ledge in the middle for what seems like no reason at all.

The map in general doesn't have a very interesting space-filling path, I think. Nice mapping skills, though.

Well thanks, the ledges would have a purpose, but the one with the ledge I deleted because I planned a double battle so added grass just seemed to fit better. I know it needs work I just trying to figure which one to continue... I might use the first concept for another route. But I dunno cause most of my grass routes are finished. For the rest its mountain routes and water routes.. Trying to mix up routes so it feel like a adventure not a maze. Thanks for the comments guys, i'll work to improve them both...

Last edited:

Birdybot

-insert witty phrase here-
    Years
    Here's some stuff. I've finished them, but of course will edit if needed :)

Starter town;
    Spoiler:

First Route;
    Spoiler:

KingCharizard

Years
    Here's some stuff. I've finished them, but of course will edit if needed :)

Starter town;
    Spoiler:

First Route;
    Spoiler:

I dont really like the lab(Im guessing that the building with the purple roof is the lab) It doesn't look right to me. The first route doesn't look bad. Just dunno how the player will get back home after they get to the next town, because the final ledge has no way to get back once you jump it...

Back