• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating Thread

Years
  • No, the point he was making is that if you don't have either of those, you can get stuck there because of how the ledge fits.

Wind Gale

Lost With the Wind
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen May 19, 2014
    I revamped this map from an older version some of you may or may not remember. but here it is. I still need to recolor the building, and the bushes in front of it.
    Spoiler:
    I'd give it a 9/10. I can't spot anything that need improvement. :)

Speaking of needing improvement, here is mmap.

Map Name: Untitled Town

Map Editor: RPG Maker XP

Comments: The starting town in Pokemon Zircon. On top of a large mountain and recently became popular for strange people in black suits... A bridge was added at the north end but is blocked off by the strange group of people in black suits...

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • No, the point he was making is that if you don't have either of those, you can get stuck there because of how the ledge fits.

Going behind the lab is an event, at that time you will not be able to get to that area as event specific NPC's are blocking the way. Perhaps I should have noted that seeing as NPC's are not on the map image I posted.

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Going behind the lab is an event, at that time you will not be able to get to that area as event specific NPC's are blocking the way. Perhaps I should have noted that seeing as NPC's are not on the map image I posted.

Well I think the point would still stand. If you do the event, and jump over the ledge, then without fly or rock climb you are stuck there. Unless I am misinterpreting what you're saying.

Gigatom~

Pokemon Ruthenium Creator ~
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2012
    Well I think the point would still stand. If you do the event, and jump over the ledge, then without fly or rock climb you are stuck there. Unless I am misinterpreting what you're saying.

Yeah, that was my point because, how can you be sure that the player has pokemon with Fly and Rockclimb.

Gigatom~

Last edited:

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years

• Yeah, that was my point because, how can you be sure that the player has pokemon with Fly and Rockclimb.

Gigatom~

The ledge is there for aesthetic purposes. The door leading you out to the back of the lab is open only in that event, in which the way to the ledge is blocked off by NPC's, so you will not be able to jump down the ledge.

Later the player can come back and rock climb up the cliffside to smash the rock, they will not be able to go back behind the lab.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Sorry Wind gale Seeing that I love and use kyledove's tiles I'd have to give your map a 2/10. I just think this whole map is all wrong, kyle's tiles can only be used effectively by someone who knows how to map and sorry to say your mapping needs improving Here is an exampl of one ofmy routes Route 3
    Spoiler:

In my opinion this is how you use kyle's tiles successfully but if anyone doesn't agree feel free to say so

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • In my opinion this is how you use kyle's tiles successfully but if anyone doesn't agree feel free to say so

Your path's need to be more definitive. They just look like patches of worn out grass. Have you ever been out in the woods and seen a deer trail? It is worn down because it is traveled along consistently. Your mapping should try to bring that out of the map as well.

Riceeman

Spriter Guy
    Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2011
    KingCharizard, if you give critiscm, give reasons for it as well, so that the recipient can actually improve.

I think the problems, Wind Gale, are the fact that everything is too straight - Cliffs are never like that in real life. Give them an interesting shape. There are also areas which are quite blank and bland. Lastly, it would help to have a more variety of tiles - The mountain tiles used just make the map very rigid and normal, whereas if you had pathes of snow, or of lighter rock or such, it'd make the map much more interesting.

Also, from a logical point of view, building a Town so high up on a mountain that there's no grass is hugely illogical. It just wouldn't happen.

PokemonPlatnum

nomnomnom.
    Years
  • First real screen from the re-emerging of August Emerald :O
    Route 104 - August Emerald
    Spoiler:

Route 104 - Pokémon R/S/E
    Spoiler:

Tiles by The Dewitty :)
    -PP

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • Here is a peek behind the Pokemon Lab.

I left details and connection out for now, you will have to wait to play if you want to see it in it's full detail ;). This is the first map in a series of maps within the PokeHabitat in Dissension.

Map Rating Thread

KingCharizard

Years
  • Your path's need to be more definitive. They just look like patches of worn out grass. Have you ever been out in the woods and seen a deer trail? It is worn down because it is traveled along consistently. Your mapping should try to bring that out of the map as well.

Its a route I want it to focus on certain points but not really be a trail... I get what your saying and I proabaly will change it but other than the trails its not bad am I right?

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • First real screen from the re-emerging of August Emerald :O
    Route 104 - August Emerald
    Spoiler:

Route 104 - Pokémon R/S/E
    Spoiler:

Tiles by The Dewitty :)
    -PP

If R/S/E had looked like that, I wouldn't hate it so much :s that map is gorgeous; the only thing is that the path at the top is a bit "off". Overall, 9/10 for sure. It's impeccable.

Also, Worldslayer, your map is formidable. I love the use of the tiles and the feel of the map in itself - very natural. 9.5/10 :D

Lyzo

Back from vacation
    Years
  • Here is a peek behind the Pokemon Lab.

I left details and connection out for now, you will have to wait to play if you want to see it in it's full detail ;). This is the first map in a series of maps within the PokeHabitat in Dissension.

Map Rating Thread

Wow, love it :) I just came from the hacking side over to the game making side, and it's funny that the tile use in both sectors is totally different. Here in the gaming section, almost all of you use DPP/HGSS styled tiles, while in the hack section it's still mostly 3rd gen :P

Anyway, something funny I noticed while looking at the maps here, now to go on and rate your map :P

I love how you used all of this variety to make such a wonderful map. The mountain style is really good, and the water is also placed nicely. The map is great on visual perspective! But, I don't really get the point of this map, it doesn't lead anywhere, furthermore, when the player walks through the map they aren't forced to walk through any grass at all. So unless this map has something to do with an event, I don't really understand why you made it :P

Anyway love the map, but the playability is :/

8.5/10

Now, I'd like you guys to rate my map as well :)
    Map Name: Well, it's nameless, but I guess you could call it route 1, as it is the first route :P
    Game made for: Me and my friend are working on something, but it doesn't have a name yet xD
    Comments: This is a very different mapping style than the rest of the maps on this forum... But I'll see what you guys think about it.
    Credits: Tiles are from WAH: Xiros, Zein.
    Map:
    Spoiler:

EDIT: Just wondering, but why hasn't this thread been stickied yet? As it would probably get a lot more attention if it would be stickied.

KingCharizard

Years
  • Wow, love it :) I just came from the hacking side over to the game making side, and it's funny that the tile use in both sectors is totally different. Here in the gaming section, almost all of you use DPP/HGSS styled tiles, while in the hack section it's still mostly 3rd gen :P

Anyway, something funny I noticed while looking at the maps here, now to go on and rate your map :P

I love how you used all of this variety to make such a wonderful map. The mountain style is really good, and the water is also placed nicely. The map is great on visual perspective! But, I don't really get the point of this map, it doesn't lead anywhere, furthermore, when the player walks through the map they aren't forced to walk through any grass at all. So unless this map has something to do with an event, I don't really understand why you made it :P

Anyway love the map, but the playability is :/

8.5/10

Now, I'd like you guys to rate my map as well :)
    Map Name: Well, it's nameless, but I guess you could call it route 1, as it is the first route :P
    Game made for: Me and my friend are working on something, but it doesn't have a name yet xD
    Comments: This is a very different mapping style than the rest of the maps on this forum... But I'll see what you guys think about it.
    Credits: Tiles are from WAH: Xiros, Zein.
    Map:
    Spoiler:

EDIT: Just wondering, but why hasn't this thread been stickied yet? As it would probably get a lot more attention if it would be stickied.

your right the map is different but that doesn't mean its mad, the map the tiles are good.

Also I thnk this should be stickied too

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2021
    This is the starting town for my upcoming game, Pokemon Plutonium. It is named WindSwept Village

Map Rating Thread

Please comment and leave feedback. Thanks. :)

PokemonPlatnum

nomnomnom.
    Years
  • Ohh Noticed your an August Emerald supporter ^^
    Layout looks good and very dunique :)
    Looks a little bare on the left side though :)
    Map Rating: 7.5

Back