• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating Thread

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
Years
  • :shocked: You...you...damn it I can't say copied cos I never uploaded my map, but...we both have made maps with the same principle. That principle being a once-flooded, underwater cave with two antechambers above ground to enter it with. It even goes east to west like mine, and contains waterfalls. The only difference (apart from the obvious difference in layout...imagine if that was the same too...) is that my waterfalls go down to a deeper level of the cave and yours don't.

But enough jibber jabber and onto the rating. I agree with the others; your mapping is great and the layout is quite appealing. However the water does look out of place, being the outside tiles. See if you can find the cave water tiles and replace them with those, it would improve the map considerably. I say 8/10, up to 9 if you change the water.

Ahah, I suppose the idea isn't too hard to think of; a cave that was once flooded isn't a particularly complex one, especially since there's at least another one in my game. And yeah, mine go to an upper level xD

@To the ones that rated: Thanks for the suggestion; it's true that the water tiles do look out of place. I have to go and search for some proper ones.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • Spoiler:
    Contira town, for my game Pokemon Fiesta, made with RMXP.
    The first town you'll visit after leaving your hometown.

Any thoughts/comments?

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Spoiler:
    Contira town, for my game Pokemon Fiesta, made with RMXP.
    The first town you'll visit after leaving your hometown.

Any thoughts/comments?

I would suggest removing the trees behind the pokemon centre and the house immediately left of it. I would also suggest removing the trees behind and next to the leftmost house ehough to continue the path passing the hedge gap and put a house just outside the hedge going up...if this makes sense. \/
    Code:
    [COLOR=DarkGreen][I]here's fine[/I][/COLOR][COLOR=Indigo]|[U]house[/U]|[/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]| |[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkGreen][I]here's [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkGreen][I]fine[/I][/COLOR][COLOR=Indigo]|[U]house[/U]|[/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]| |[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkGreen][I]here's [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkGreen][I]fine[/I][/COLOR][COLOR=Indigo]|[U]house[/U]|[/COLOR][COLOR=Lime]|[U]hedge line going|[/U]       [/COLOR][U][COLOR=Lime]|around museum|[/COLOR]
    [/U][COLOR=DarkGreen][I]here's [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkGreen][I]fine[/I][/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]remove trees[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkGreen][I]here's [/I][/COLOR][I][COLOR=DarkGreen]fine[/COLOR] [/I][COLOR=Red]remove trees[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=DarkGreen][I]here's [/I][/COLOR][I][COLOR=DarkGreen]fine[/COLOR] [/I][COLOR=Red]remove trees[/COLOR]
    [I][COLOR=Sienna]hills are fine[/COLOR] [/I][COLOR=Red]remove trees[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Sienna][I]hills are fine[/I][/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]remove trees[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Sienna][I]hills are fine[/I][/COLOR]             [COLOR=Indigo]|house|[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Sienna][I]hills are fine[/I][/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]remove[/COLOR] [COLOR=Indigo]|house|[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Sienna][I]hills are fine[/I][/COLOR] [COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=Red]tree[/COLOR] [/COLOR]     [COLOR=Indigo]|house|[/COLOR]

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • I would also move the trees infront of the pokemon center and houses a few steps down, the trees overlapping with the path make it look a bit clusterphobic.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Ahah, I suppose the idea isn't too hard to think of; a cave that was once flooded isn't a particularly complex one, especially since there's at least another one in my game. And yeah, mine go to an upper level xD

@To the ones that rated: Thanks for the suggestion; it's true that the water tiles do look out of place. I have to go and search for some proper ones.
    I kinda like the bright water tiles, although maybe they're a little too vibrant here. The land borders need to match the rest of the cave, certainly. Make the water a bit silvery and slightly darker, but not too much because I like the contrast between the water and the cave.

Years
  • Maps

Ok so here I have 4 maps (if thats ok) anyways here we go.
    Ps, if the pics dont show il put the links in the spoiler under the image

Map Name:Zekrom temple
    Map Editor: RPG Maker XP
    Comments: Just a map i made last night when bored Zekrom temple is the temple where the pokemon Zekrom can be found.

Next we have a town called well it doesnt have a name.

Map Name:Unknown
    Comments: Another map made in my spare time so enjoy.

Now heres number 3

Map Name:Ghost Town
    Comments: just a simple run down town by the railway tracks.

And finaly number 4

Map Name: Lost Canyon
    Comments: A Dersert Canyon with a small settlement and some pyramids

Hope you like them and now for some credits for some tiles: Hydrargirium, DaNerdyDude, midnitez, cleystation, thedevilisdero, zetavares852.
    So a big thanks to them.

Last edited:

Colbex

Cobalt Black Creator
    Years
  • Let's see, for the Zekrom Temple, it looks very unique and rather nice, but I don't think the stair cases really fit the map. They seem out of place. Also, on the edging of the walls directly benath the side ways stair case, you should have them turn a corner rather than them come from no where. (do you understand what I'm saying? I'm bad with words.) Also, the large Zekrom statue isn't perfectly centered, but that's not much of an issue, just more of my OCD.

Your towns look very nice, but there are two tree tile errors in the bottom left patch of trees of your ghost town. (which happens to be my favorite out of your 4 maps)

Years
  • Thanks for your comment Colbex, I no what your saying about zekrom Temple i just wasnt sure about the stairs myself and i take on board what you have said. As for the ghost town its one of my favorites to, sometimes it just take another set of eyes to take out all the tile errors, so thanks.

Neo-Spriteman

or goloog. that works too.
    Years
    • Age 26
    • MD
    • Seen Jun 19, 2015
    Map Name: Hiruso Town
    Comments: A map I made to test out some tiles. Its not for a game or anything of that source, but still don't steal it, kay?
    Spoiler:

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
    Years
  • That map could use some work. It's too open, and that sand pathway is huge. You should also probably clear up some of the tiles in the top-right corner. There's not that much space for the player to move into the gatehouse. (Yes, I know that it's not for a game, just giving you some tips.)

Another thing that's really bothering me is those mountain/cliff tiles. You do know that those are the edges for HGSS water, and not mountain tiles.

me2hack

Graphics Artist
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    Just something that bothers me.. What happened to the roof of the lab? o_O

pkmntrainerpaul

New account: P-Sign
    Years

• Map Name:
    Ghost Town
    Spoiler:
    I really like the feel of this map, it gives a really spooky feeling.
    I suggest making the water tiles a bit darker, because they are way too bright in my opinion.

I'd like criticism on this map I made :)
    Name: Route 1
    Editor: RMXP
    Comments: The first route of my game :)
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
    Years
  • I'd like criticism on this map I made :)
    Name: Route 1
    Editor: RMXP
    Comments: The first route of my game :)
    Spoiler:

It's a good map, I like it. Although, the water tiles you've used, are in-fact puddle tiles. And the space you've left the player to walk is quite small.

Neo-Spriteman

or goloog. that works too.
    Years
    • Age 26
    • MD
    • Seen Jun 19, 2015
    Map Name: Saplef Town
    Comments: The starter town of my game (Pokemon Unnamed) It contains your brother's house (You live there), and two random NPC houses.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Map Name: Saplef Town
    Comments: The starter town of my game (Pokemon Unnamed) It contains your brother's house (You live there), and two random NPC houses.
    Spoiler:

Alright I'll start by saying that this is a DAMN small town. Am I to assume the south-going path on the left also constitutes part of this town? If so, it may be prudent to extend the hill they're situated on southwards, beside the path. I would suggest maybe putting a small path there with some flowers and benches, maybe a house too (I would also consider using more than one house design, or making a house that is mirrored for variety.
    Speaking of the hill, on the right hand side of the path you have tile errors. Your hill seems to disappear into the trees, which are aligned as if no hill existed. You're done well with that on the left but on the right...also there are quite a few tile errors in general:

• Juts below the third house's fence, there is a tree with two bottomleft foliage tiles, instead of a left and right.
    • In the top four rows of trees, 6 in from the right, there's a lot of mislinked trees.
    • In the rightmost house's roof a bit of a tree is visible over the house tiles.
    • The aforementioned trees misaligned with the disappearing hill tiles. I'm sure its not hard to spot.
    • South of the brown sign you have three trees in a _| shape. The corner one is missing it's right foliage.
    Alright thats all I can spot for now. I hope what I've said makes sense to you, otherwise I can mock up a map in my kit to show you what I mean. Just lemme know if you want me to do that. Imma give this a 5/10.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I'd like criticism on this map I made

Map Name: Unamed
    Comments: Just a town i wanted to show and see what you think.

Like prodigy said, the map itself isn't bad, but a few things bug me. Firstly every building in the town is blue. Every. Single. One. You definately need to have a few differently coloured buildings in there. Secondly, the swing set tile doesn't conform to the scale and alignment of the other tiles. the front struts should obstruct the back struts. Lastly, the grass tile adjoining the dirt path to the paved walkway around the statue doesn't make sense (cos the paving is on a dirt path, it can just go straight to that without grass) and also doesn't match the colour and style of the other grass tile.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • Pljff n lk nld n lks fl kf lksf a'psdf adsf
    So meaningful... I shed a masculine tear of realization.

I can't believe I didn't see it before! So much time we waste djghvbsjbving and jkdhsljging... But the real answer to creating maps isn't about djghvbsjbv or jkdhsljg! It's about fklgh! It's about fdjhg! It's about herpaderp and boing!

I suppose I should do something meaningful and rate a few maps while I'm here.
    Map Name:Zekrom temple
    Comments: Just a map i made last night when bored Zekrom temple is the temple where the pokemon Zekrom can be found.
    Rating: 3/10
    Reason: For a temple exterior, the layout works, however there are a number of things that need alteration.
    Suggestions:
    1: All of the graphics in the map don't flow at all! Look at the colour of the grass compared the shading under the trees, The pathways are ugly and don't even flow with themselves. Additionally, rescaled Zekrom Sprites look terrible. Do something to make them look better.
    2: Make the paths a bit more narrow - the main path is a bit to wide.
    3: Usually with ruins, half destroyed pillars like that symbolize that some structure was there being held up by them at one point. However, the arrangement of yours make no sense.
    ----------
    Map Name:Ghost Town
    Rating: 8/10
    Reason: I like it - this map has some real atmosphere to it. In terms of layout, I would change nothing.
    Suggestions: Fix the shading under the trees, and make the water darker.

Back