• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mario Kart 7

Swimmer Ryan

Training Water Types Since '99
Years
  • '
    Mario Kart 7

Anyone got this yet? It's the really cool new Mario Kart on 3DS. New additions to the game include hang-gliding attachments for karts and the ability to drive underwater. There are 17 playable characters in this game. With 4 new characters. With 32 tracks and 16 originals and 16 classic tracks. Another return is the ability to collect coins to boost your speed.
    Trailer for the game.
    Banana Cup
    Flower Cup

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • I still haven't gotten a 3DS myself but I was playing this on my sisters one and I must say the game is great. Loads of fun and will definately be a game I buy with my 3DS at christmas.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • I got the game just today :D !
    If anyone's interested, Vappy made a PC community (you'll know what it means if you have the game) at 57-5396-7707-6267, so come and join :D !

We should totally try and make a weekly get together on it!

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
  • It's because Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart 3DS are too similar, and they needed to have some distinction.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I'm not a fan of the "7". There were two arcade titles too, so this is really "9".

Regardless, I know adding 3DS in the title may have caused confusion for parents. So, I would have preferred a subtitle maybe, the way Super Circuit had one.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2013
    Sometimes I wish I had a 3DS of my own when I see Mario Kart games. I know I'm missing out on it. Sigh..

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'm not a fan of the "7". There were two arcade titles too, so this is really "9".

Regardless, I know adding 3DS in the title may have caused confusion for parents. So, I would have preferred a subtitle maybe, the way Super Circuit had one.

Seems like the arcade titles didn't count, then.

I think having "7" in the title instead of "3DS" means less confusion... and also makes it clear that this title is new.

I can't wait for the day I buy Mario Kart 7. Unfortunately it might be really late. Like, this Christmas?

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 9, 2022
    I have some communities right here if you guys wanna play them. And forget the sign-ups. Just read the community info.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    The 7 was probably added for the "Lucky 7" item. IDK. :I

Also this game is very fun to play. Being a snaker from MKDS, I was not disappointed in the slightest how it is now gone. All the tricks to get boosts, all karts, characters, and customizations being equally viable and dependent on the skill of the player, skillful use of items deciding how one will get to first, all the different courses; it's all very fun. As long as you have some degree of skill with drifting, you'll do just fine in online races thanks to the loss of snaking. As a whole, the new course selection is kind of meh, but then there are some real awesome winners like Music Park, Piranha Plant Slide, and of course Rainbow Road. The retro course selection is amazing. The Mushroom Cup from the N64 version, quite possibly the most memorable, is in the course selection barring Moo Moo Farm. Having skipped the Wii version, this is my first exposure to it, and I can safely say that Coconut Mall and Maple Treeway are both very awesome. And of course, SNES Rainbow Road is just amazing.

However, the requirements for unlocking parts became increasingly tedious. 8 cups x 4 ranks = 32 cups for racing x max 40 coins each cup = 1280 coins after racing in all of them. 1500 coins would've been a good cutoff for the basic parts, but I'm at 3000 coins now and I'm pretty sure I'm still missing the Paraglider. Without a way to finish ASAP as in the DS version, this "grinding" becomes very taxing. Also, the loss of formal balloon battles in favor of a point based system was a dumb move. That's all the beefs I have with MK7.

It's a fun game. Mario Karts have mostly been must haves for consoles and this only continues the trend. I'd only really recommend it if you have wi-fi connection, otherwise, hope you're a Mario Kart fanatic as the single player selection offers little replay value (at least keep an option for balloon battles to be a last man standing type of minigame).

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I'd go with what Team Fail said that it is the 7th installment. And that the Lucky 7 item is probably paying homage to the title rather the title paying it to it.

My favs are probably Music Park, Rock Rock Mountain, Piranha Plant Slide, Wario Shipyard, Maka Wuhu, Bowser's, Castle Rainbow Road. I love a lot of Classic favs Bowser Castle 1, Luigi's Mansion, Coconut Mall, Waluigi Pinball, Maple Treeway, Koopa Cape, Dino Dino Jungle, Airship Fortress. As for SNES Rainbow Road is probably the one I like the least ironically enough I think I have did better versus online competitors then I have against the CPU.

I wish they would have more Battle Courses then offered.

Xx Typhlosion xX

Typhlosion FtW!
    Years
  • I got it as soon as it was released, it is a really huge improvement in my opinion, it even looks better on 3DS than Mario Kart Wii, other than graphics, new additions like hang gliding and driving underwater is awesome, there are also several paths to take during a race, I also liked being able to customize your kart.

The letdown for me was the removal of VS mode, which was in Mario Kart DS, where you could just pick a track, have teams and race. Getting 3 stars on every cup is also tedious, it places pressure on you to finish 1st in all races which is really stressful. I also didn't like the new characters introduced other than Lakitu, I would rather have Waluigi and Bowser Jr.

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 9, 2022
    I got it as soon as it was released, it is a really huge improvement in my opinion, it even looks better on 3DS than Mario Kart Wii, other than graphics, new additions like hang gliding and driving underwater is awesome, there are also several paths to take during a race, I also liked being able to customize your kart.

The letdown for me was the removal of VS mode, which was in Mario Kart DS, where you could just pick a track, have teams and race. Getting 3 stars on every cup is also tedious, it places pressure on you to finish 1st in all races which is really stressful. I also didn't like the new characters introduced other than Lakitu, I would rather have Waluigi and Bowser Jr.

Local Multiplayer does have VS mode and that id the same concept for online multiplayer. And I wish they put more characters such as...

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    Getting 3 stars on every cup is also tedious, it places pressure on you to finish 1st in all races which is really stressful.

I thought getting 3 stars was very easy in this game though. In Mario Kart DS, it was nigh impossible to get 3 stars in everything without snaking. And even then, there was still a chance you'd end up with 2 instead of 3 for some reason. Not to mention all those missions that you had to do AND get 3 stars in. In MK7, as long as you know how to drift to get turbo boosts, do tricks at every bump and ramp, keep an item in reserve for those stray red shells, and manage to keep your coin count high, getting and staying in first is cake.

Back