• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mario Kart 8 thread

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
  • The supposed Saviour of the Wii U was released yesterday. With its big new feature being the anti-gravity racing, it's sure to give the Wii U a much needed boost. So, thoughts on the new courses, characters, and just overall game?

First, I gotta say the game is pretty beautiful to look at. The anti-gravity feature might seem like a bit of gimmick, but why try and fix what isn't broken? I managed to finish a few cups yesterday on 50cc so I've yet to try everything the game has to offer, but my one gripe is how short the new Rainbow Road felt, but the SNES track was rather short too, so maybe I'll warm up to it eventually.

As for characters, I think Lemmy will be my new main. {:3} I've been using Daisy since Double Dash, but I think it's time to try out someone new. Usually stick to Light/Middleweights since I prefer handling over speed.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I like this game. It's fun.
    Spoiler:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I bought the game yesterday evening, and my brother and neighbor wanted to play it soon rather than waiting for me to finish mowing the lawn. We started at 150cc, which was a big mistake given that we haven't even play the new tracks to memorize the paths to make it easier for us, but at least we've unlocked some characters along the way. The frame rate and resolutions looks better if you're playing 1-2 players, because 3-4 players seem to have toned it down, but that doesn't ruin the fun we had playing the game.

I managed to finish a few cups yesterday on 50cc so I've yet to try everything [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]the [COLOR=blue !important]game[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] has to offer, but my one gripe is how short the new Rainbow Road felt, but the SNES track was rather short too, so maybe I'll warm up to it eventually.

One of my PC friends said it's to allow players to join online races quicker and faster, since the N64 Rainbow Road was long as heck in the original.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Gotten it since yesterday, and I'm having a blast. I haven't finished all of the cups yet, but I have unlocked a good amount of characters. Sadly, I haven't unlocked my main yet, which is Rosalina. So, been trooping along with Koopa Troopa. Multiplayer is still fun as heck, haha.

The game is beautiful, oh god, I can't even begin to describe it. The soundtrack is pretty awesome from what I've been hearing. I'm liking a lot of the new items except for the the boomerang and the coin. The boomerang can burn for all I care, and the coin is just grrr. The Super-horn is my true love though.

Also, in 100cc upwards. Has anyone noticed that the CPU has become dangerously deadly with green shells? I swear, it's like they're playing Sniper Elite or something.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Gotten it since yesterday, and I'm having a blast. I haven't finished all of the cups yet, but I have unlocked a good amount of characters. Sadly, I haven't unlocked my main yet, which is Rosalina. So, been trooping along with Koopa Troopa. Multiplayer is still fun as heck, haha.

The game is beautiful, oh god, I can't even begin to describe it. The soundtrack is pretty awesome from what I've been hearing. I'm liking a lot of the new items except for the the boomerang and the coin. The boomerang can burn for all I care, and the coin is just grrr. The Super-horn is my true love though.

Also, in 100cc upwards. Has anyone noticed that the CPU has become dangerously deadly with green shells? I swear, it's like they're playing Sniper Elite or something.

I noticed that; I can't BELIEVE how accurate they are. XD

Another thing is that they're pretty aggressive - this feels like 150 difficulty level, even when I was playing on 50cc and 100cc. Still, fun!

If you guys want to have some races, my gametag is LGDArm. :3

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I picked it up yesterday and I'm having a blast. I've unlocked all the tracks - still working on characters and customizations though. The game is gorgeous, and you guys are right about the CPU racers - their AI seems to be drastically improved in this game. I've noticed them blocking stuff with items, saving mushrooms for shortcuts, and being a lot more aggressive in general than in previous games.

Online works really well too. Only got disconnected once last night which was probably due to the servers getting slammed on release night, but otherwise I've not had any disconnection or lag issues. We should definitely get a tournament or Mario Kart night going here sometime.

I hope the report that came out today about it selling 400,000 copies already is true - the Wii U really needs the sales. I did notice that Best Buy only had about three copies left last night when I picked it up, so it's selling well. I guess we'll get confirmation this week via Media Create or a Nintendo press release.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Well I unlocked all the characters in the roster, but I still need to unlock the rest of the vehicle parts. Aside from the much more aggressive rubber band AI, has anyone noticed that the infamous blue shell rarely shows up in every race? My neighbor noticed this when he watched a marathon of the game, as well as our playthrough.

I hope the report that came out today about it selling 400,000 copies already is true - the Wii U really needs the sales. I did notice that Best Buy only had about three copies left last night when I picked it up, so it's selling well. I guess we'll get confirmation this week via Media Create or a Nintendo press release.
    Not to worry, as according to Nintendo Enthusiast, the Wii U outsold the PS4 in Japan before MK8 came out.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Electrodome is great; definitely one of my favorite new tracks along with Mount Wario and Bone-Dry Dunes.

Nintendo Network ID is thedestinedblade, if anyone is ever up for a few races. {:3}

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I've created a daily tournament for the PokéCommunity. Who can make it to the top? :D The tournament runs within a certain time, but I'm not sure what it is because my Wii follows Japanese time.
    4778-8762-7257

Mmm, says at 11:00 p.m. here~ I guess it's not too bad!

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • My brother went to get this game with my mom the day it came out and says its awesome, but I haven't gotten the chance to play it yet!!! I've been not around or the TV is being used and I am very sad ;_;

I'm so excited though!! I really want to vs. my friends :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I really want the game! If I can find my 3DS tomorrow, I'll go and buy the MK8 Wii U package at Gamestop. That way I can use the code to get LoZ: Windwaker as well. That game looks amazing, I like how Nintendo added Zero Gravity and the courses look amazing! I also like how Nintendo kept the gliders because I really enjoyed those in MK7. I have an elgato so I'll be recording lots of racers, feel free to add me when I get the game. We can race and I'll put videos up on here.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I could have been part of that percentage since I was highly debating whether to get the Wii U system just for MK8 ;; But that's good news for the system!

Oh, MK8 is definitely worth it, imo! (well that and a few other games that will come like Zelda Wii U & Smash Bros) I think it's probably the best along side Mario Kart DS. c:

Years
  • Oh, MK8 is definitely worth it, imo! (well that and a few other games that will come like Zelda Wii U & Smash Bros) I think it's probably the best along side Mario Kart DS. c:

The console is still like $200 though >< The PS4 has the highest priority at the moment, along with the Vita. Why are consoles so expensive these days? ;; I know any Mario Kart game is worth it, but the last one I played was Double Dash. The graphics look absolutely gorgeous in the game, and with all those new game mechanics being utilized it makes the game even more appealing to me >3<

Years
  • Decided to pick this up, going to stop by my GameStop tomorrow if all goes well. :) It's just too hard to resist the charm of MK8. I feel left out!

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2022
    I know very little about games being made/when they come out, I don't keep up with that stuff, but I have seen some people playing MK8 and it looks really fun, will they make a 3DS one of it? (I know there is a MK7 but I don't want that...)

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • I played it at my friend's house, it was amazing! i love how you can unlock toudette. she's adorable<3 i can't wait till i get a wiiu.

Back