• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Matthew? I'll call you Matty

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
  • Because my proper given name is 'Thomas', 'Tommy' counts as a nickname of sorts. I've also been referred to by several variants of 'T-____', and 'Big T' has also made its way onto that list. Since none of my RL friends are Pokémon gamers that probably has nothing to do with the default nicknames presented to you in XY. XD

I don't really assign people nicknames. I'll fall into a habit of referring to people by their last name (if their last name is particularly funny, or if there's more than one person in the groups with the same first name) or shortening their first name to one syllable (eg, Jovany becomes Jov and Melanie becomes Mel)

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I was confused for a second because my name actually is Matt and I thought this was a reference to me o_o

I like nicknames, although I don't really get that many. My boss gave me the nickname "Matty Heisman" though for my hard work ethic so that made me happy (if people don't know Heisman is in reference to the "Heisman Trophy" which is the equivalent of the MVP award in the NFL in college football.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • I've had a few nicknames, yeah, but most people call me by my last name. Most teachers call me by my last name since the first class, some others will pick it up and very few will call me by my first name. Except for my best friend, who calls me by my first name, all of my friends and classmates refer to me by it and 2 or 3 call me by a nickname. When my friends introduce me to people at parties or other social events, I'm introduced by my last name. I answer more quickly to it than to my first name, haha.

Needless to say, I like being called by my last name. I like it a lot. I've started introducing myself like that too.

Yukari

I honestly don't like nicknames, I used to have some though. It is to be expected though when you have a long name like me. My mom used to call me John boy, so did my grandmother. Sometimes I've been called John. My aunt used to call me Romeo (To this day I still don't know why.) and my archery coach had a nickname for me that I absolutely hated. And... That's all I can thick of now, I want everyone to know I prefer that you just call me Jonathan. Okay?

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • Matty? Eww. I'm not sure how I roll with names. For a certain Matt I know I roll with Mathieu though because damn, the French for Matthew sounds great.

Personally? I don't really have a name that results in people playing around with it often. I'm okay with that. I'm alright with most names really!

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • I get nicknamed by my family, which I don't mind, it's just a shortened version of my name. My friends try to nickname me, but the nicknames never last long :P

Years
  • I don't get nicknamed often, besides being called by Sam by everyone, friends and family. I prefer it, it's shorter. I still get called Sammi on PC (wonder why????), which is sometimes weird since I get called by Sam IRL.

My boss nicknamed me Peanut. That's the only notable nickname of mine. It's fun.

Don't use nicknames on others, unless they already go by it. I'm not inventive enough for that!

Last edited:

Mystify

confused
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2020
    People always give me the same nickname (a shortened version of my name) and at least 90% of those people are people I don't know all that well. I hate when they nickname me as if they know me, when really, they don't. It's uncomfortable when strangers call me by the same nickname my close friends call me. You don't know me like that, ick. I'm probably being a baby about it but I don't care.

I think it's also due to the fact that I'm not a fan of my nickname but I let it slide when my friends want to use it.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Pretty much everyone who knows me, offline and online, calls me Sho.

When I was real young, I had another nickname I went by.

My family calls me Chesa, as a play on my full name, but I punch friends in the face when they call me that.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    I have been nicknamed and am. One of them I really hate and wish my friends wouldn't call me that, I told them but they dismissed it and kept doing it. I wouldn't mind if they said it in front of everyone, parents, teachers, other friends who don't know about it. Other than that my name isn't shortenable? or longenable? but I have had people call me Rai like the word Kai, I don't mind it but it makes me feel like I'm straight out of Beyblade. One of my old friends calls me Rile's or something like that and I never really understood it since it probably takes just as much effort to say that >.>

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
  • Yeah I nickname my friends, especially my best friend. Usually I'll end up calling him by his last name, or just the first letter of his name. I've also called him 'Wolfy' since he was obsessed with wolves at one point.

I also have a friend whose legal middle name is Wingblade, no joke. So we call him that. Then a lot of random names for friends.

I have nicknames too. Believe it or not, I have people who in my day to day call me Phantom. There's a reason it's my name here. :P It was my callsign for my police explorers group. Let's see I've been called; Scoot, Blondie Cop, Phantom, Pooh (by my parents only), Bring-Bring (A joke on how part of my last name is pronounced), Phan, Phanty.... Deployable Cleric... I think that's most of them...

Years
  • Haha. My name is actually Matthew but most people call me Matt (or sometimes Matty). I like Matt a lot better than Matthew so the nickname doesn't bother me.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • I like nicknames, when they are not degrading, of course. I have nicknames.
    My grandma calls me Dan-dan, which is cute i guess but not in front of people.
    My friends call me great priest sometimes (Cohen means priest in Hebrew), and my girlfriend calls me babe, y'know, what else can she call me? :) A lot of people online tend to call me Aidan or Aiden, and i don't care anymore, i can admit i even use it as in-game name if im bored.

I also like giving nicks but im always asking first if that's okay. I call my my girl SexyLexi (because her name is Lexi lol) and i call my friends in a variety of names.
    I had a friend once when i had guitar lessons who called me Chord but that is a forgotten name, and you should never call me chord for realz.

Years
  • My real name is Janna and that's what I'm called by mostly everyone irl. Online I've been called Jan, JanJan, Janna Banana (even though my name doesn't rhyme with banana bahah), etc etc kind of forgetting most of them.

Online I've been called bo peep, sheepie, mama sheep, and a lot of others that, again, I'm probably forgetting. Yay nicknames! They are cute and I use them myself.

Nakala Pri

In real life my family calls me Rose, Rosie and Roe. :P

But my friends call me Rozu, Olive, (Rosie by Genesis) and sometimes Cecilia. c:

Demon Days

Element of Magic
    Years
  • People generally just call me Tom. A couple of friends have taken to calling me Thomas (th as in think) because of my Maths/Science teacher accidentally calling me that. I honestly don't mind.

Back