• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mega Charizard X Vs. Mega Charizard Y?

Lexatom

Blockbuster Advocate
Years
  • Mega Charizard X is definitely better in my opinion. I love the color change and those blue flames. I honestly think his mega evolution has one of the best design choices ever. Pokemon Origins also influenced my opinion on this mega evolution.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I prefer Mega Charizard Y. I like warmer color schemes, and also kind of think that the second Mega evolution is excessive. It makes Charizard sleeker and more aerodynamic, and just is better-looking to me despite being more subtle. I thought that even back before X was released. Black and blue are just two colors I don't like together as well. I find people tend to think things are cool just because you slap black on it. For me, it just doesn't look good in most scenarios.

Also, I'm having a bit of a backlash about how much publicity X gets. I get a bit tired of things like the anime pretending that Y doesn't even exist.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    I love both but tend to use X more these days.

Y's rock weakness is just a pain but drought is great with a nicely setup team and he hits like a truck, shiny Charizard Y is my favourite though for looks.

Charizard X with Dragon dance, Dragon claw and fire punch (yes I know theres better physical fire moves but I hate the animation and recoil) is a beast and can take hits nicely and roost them off, his typing makes him a little bit more hardy too. I wish they'd lose the mouth flames though.

Crystal Berry

[span="text-shadow: 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.12); font
    Years
  • Design wise I like both. Competitive wise Charizard X is definitely better. If sun were permanent again then Charizard-Y would be almost as good.

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2015
    when it comes to x it looks cool but with added dragon type it has more weakness also like fairy and ice and dragon itself, but y has not much weakness compared to x

Years
  • when it comes to x it looks cool but with added dragon type it has more weakness also like fairy and ice and dragon itself, but y has not much weakness compared to x

X doesn't have that many weaknesses, since Fire resists both Ice and Fairy making them only neutral damage. It is still weak to Ground and Rock, and also Dragon. Y keeps the usual Charizard's weaknesses due to being the same type.

Years
  • I prefer Mega Charizard Y since I use it all the time competitively. X is decent, but I just don't get around to using it as much. Plus shiny Charizard Y looks better than shiny Charizard X imo.

About the Rock weakness, that really only applies to Stealth Rock, since Charizard Y can outspeed most Rock types and run them over with Focus Blast or Solar Beam, especially since most Rock types are physically defensive.

Years
  • I'd have to say I like X better both since it's Dragon and since it uses physical attacks. Also, when I was trying out competitive battling, it seemed to me like most people were using Charizard Y. Since I want my team to not be too predictable I bred and trained up a Charizard X.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Charizard X definitely looks cool and it's nice that it finally became Dragon-type, but I do appreciate the classic look of Charizard Y, plus Drought makes it better for competitive battles.

JacenBoy

Pokemon Refurbisher
    Years
  • I love the design of Charizard X, but I recently started using Charizard Y in monotype battles, and I found that I really liked it.

myystogan

[cimg=width:30px;"]https://i.imgur.com/gbudGz1.png
    Years
  • I prefer Charizard Y in both design and usage. I like its ability better, and I also like using special attackers over physical attackers, so there's that too.

I do use both of them, however. Charizard X can be really fun to use as well!

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I've recently started using Mega Charizard X in competitives, and it's actually a lot better than I thought. It's pretty awesome sending Charizard out as a Fire/Flying-type (safe from Earthquakes and all that) and then having it clean up as a Fire/Dragon-type. Not sure if that's enough for me to want to change my vote, but still, X is a lot better than I initially gave it credit for haha

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2015
    I like Zard Y more. Y can single turn charge SolarBeam, making it able to take out water types. I also run a Drought boosted STAB Fire Blast to take out really anything else. My other two moves are usually Dragon Pulse and Earthquake.

Years
  • I love Charizard X more than Y, but a league run did make me fall for Charizard Y a little bit more. But not as much as X though. XD But one thing that I am tired of seeing is people just crapping on Charizard X's design. I haven't seen it often enough to say that it's as hated as say... Vanillux (who has a good design anyway). A good friend of mine probably is the best example that I can give for someone who just hates on everything that is Charizard X. Saying that all his little spikes and stuff are just pointless being there, the flames coming out of it's mouth are pointless as well, and the wings wouldn't actually let it have the ability of flight. And every time he starts talking about it it just pisses me off to no end. X(

Years
  • For sure Mega Charizard Y,
    I feel that is what Mega Charizard should be, and Charizard X was kind of on the fan service side.
    But both are super fun to use. And are useful in there own regards.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • When they first came out, I would have said X, but over time Y has grown on me to the point where I think I prefer it. I find it more useful in battle and I'm really liking its sleek design.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I like Mega Charizard X better than Mega Charizard Y. I use Mega Charizard X more than I do the other one.

Back