• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mega Evolution in Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Do you think there will be new Mega forms?

• Yes

Votes: 232 93.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If the Pokémon does wind up getting some mega-form at some point, which I hope it does, I could imagine it to have its body structure grown a bit, as well as hair. This way, it would look a lot more beastly, which, I suppose, was something that they were aiming for when designing Mightyena? Alongside, perhaps they might also be able to reduce its eyes a bit in-size, so that it would seem a tad vicious and whatnot.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Except neither Mightyena nor Houndoom is a pseudo-legendary. Tyranitar is, which does at least go some way towards making the gap between it and Aggron's base stats more understandable.

Plus, its not so much that Mightyena is weaker than Houndoom, but that its generally a weaker Pokémon than most of the others that have gotten Megas. The most notable exceptions to this would, of course, be Medicham and Mawile. However, I would probably argue that Mawile and Medicham too would have been better served getting regular evolutions, themselves.

That's not a very good excuse. They could've made Garchamp and Tyranitar the counterparts and had Aggronite in both games. I think their choices in counterparts for XY were based more on design rather than actual stats and such. So a Mega Mightyena would've worked due to a similar body.

Anyways I would prefer a normal evolution for it too. I doubt it'll happen though next gen though...

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2015
    A mega arcanine to me in these games would seem sorta unlikely but a mega skarmory would seem like a cool addition to the games and would be viable.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    That's not a very good excuse. They could've made Garchamp and Tyranitar the counterparts and had Aggronite in both games. I think their choices in counterparts for XY were based more on design rather than actual stats and such. So a Mega Mightyena would've worked due to a similar body.

I'm actually in agreement with Zekrom in saying that you guys are seeing counterparts where there aren't necessarily any. If they were really diametrically opposed counterparts, the entirety of one would be exclusive to one game while the entirety of the other would be exclusive to the other. Instead, we have this system where one element of each Mega Pokémon is in one game and another is in the other. Example, Houndour are only found in X, while Houndoominite is in Y.

So...which game does Mega Houndoom correspond to? X or Y? You cant get a Mega without having its respective Mega Stone, but you obviously can't get it without the Pokémon itself. So, therefore, the correct answer would be "neither". You need collaboration between the two games in order to get a Mega Houndoom, which can be in either X or Y.

Before, with actual counterparts, you needed collaboration with the other versions just to either see or capture the other Pokémon altogether. Think Lotad vs. Seedot in Sapphire and Ruby, respectively.

The system of splitting up Pokémon and Mega stone between one version and another is not completely analogous to the counterpart system we had back in the day because you are just as likely to have Mega Houndoom/Manectric or Mega Tyranitar/Aggron in X as you are in Y.

HOWEVER, if we were to classify these Mega Pokémon as counterparts based, like you say, on appearance rather than stats, we could make the argument that Mightyena still wouldn't be a good counterpart for Houndoom. There's a fine line between counterpart and clone. Gamefreak probably thought that having two Dark type, hound/dog-like Pokémon both getting Mega evolutions might have been looked at as a little too redundant. Manectric allows for a a dog-like Pokémon, but of a different type.

However, we are in agreement that Mightyena should get a regular evolution instead of a Mega. Personally, I'm hoping for a werewolf-based Pokémon (hopefully named "Wereyena") that would gain a secondary typing of either Fighting (because for some reason, I correlate werewolves with street fighters) or...Fairy (because of werewolves' actual correlation with the Moon, and the link that appears to be between the Moon and Fairy types in Pokémon world). Or, you know, just a pure Dark type would be cool, too.

Megas are cool and all, but I just don't want everything to be engulfed by Megas. Let's save some room for tacking on regular evolutions and creating new stones...

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • To be honest, I love Megas, Superfox, whilst I agree that there /might/ be /too/ many Mega Pokemons down the road, but so long they stick to the 1-Mega-Evolution-per-battle limit, I think having a lot of them would be actually fine - I like watching them change :)

I would've much preferred Luxray to Mega Evolve more than Manectric did, to be honest, if they needed 2 totally different Pokemons as version exclusives.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    I kind of gave up on normal evolution after I saw some pokemons getting megas that should of been normal evolutions. It seems Game Freak will focus on new pokemons and the old one except for Eevee will get Megas instead.

Years
  • Maybe we'll see a whole influx of normal evolutions next gen. Hopefully Gen III-VI mons will be the focus (there's still a handful of Gen III mons that could use a normal evolution such as Kecleon, Gen IV and V mons have not gotten evolutions, that is worse than XY not having any Megas of Gen V and VI mons).

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2014
    They need to give Milotic a mega evolution. Not only is unique in Gen 3 but its rival Gyrados gets one, which is completely unfair...

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I kind of gave up on normal evolution after I saw some pokemons getting megas that should of been normal evolutions. It seems Game Freak will focus on new pokemons and the old one except for Eevee will get Megas instead.

Remember how people complained about the designs of the cross-gen evolutions in D/P? Mega Evolutions might as well be the only solution to make them competitively valuable while not ruining their charming appearance with a permenant subjective one.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Mega Skarmory? If it'd happen, imagine that tankiness... o.o"
    The ultimate setup/support pokemon that would not go down under any circumstance. O~o"

Or what about a Mega Skarmory with boosted Attack and Speed instead of defense boosts? :D That would be pretty cool. If it got Gale Wings it might make a nice alternative to Talonflame, since it gets Brave Bird as well!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If they give Skarmory a mega-evolution at some point, it's likely going to get boost in Attack and Speed, and slight decrease in its Defenses. I'm sure they're aware of its bulkiness and whatnot, so they probably will not push it further, because then, it would wind up to be considered overpowering.

If it does get raise in those two stats, then we'd finally be able to utilize it better as sweeper. Its regular form would be a wall, with its mega being attacker--killing two birds with one stone. It has a lot of attacks in its arsenal, too, I believe, which it could definitely take advantage of.

Years
  • Or what about a Mega Skarmory with boosted Attack and Speed instead of defense boosts? :D That would be pretty cool. If it got Gale Wings it might make a nice alternative to Talonflame, since it gets Brave Bird as well!

Or maybe Attack and special defense with a minor boost in speed. That way it'll have to rely on flying moves if it wants priority, or Steel if it needs to land a super effective or Neutral hit even if it's slower.

PokeHunterBlack

Bounty Hunter
    Years
  • Or what about a Mega Skarmory with boosted Attack and Speed instead of defense boosts? :D That would be pretty cool. If it got Gale Wings it might make a nice alternative to Talonflame, since it gets Brave Bird as well!

Yeah good idea, but wouldn't it be better with the originalbirn, Pigeot? With a boosted attack and special defence

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back